Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x11 "Claimed" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Norway
    I doubt they were cannibals but they were picture perfect representations of a brutal gang! Using terms as "I claim this" and chocking out people over who sleeps where. Also the guy on the toilet probably just sat there to get some time away from the others. Its a hard stressful life to be in such a group after all. You always got to watch over your shoulder and be on constant guard on challenges to your place in the primitive hierarchy.
    I liked that Rick was afraid. Truth is that people who have been in dangerous situation a lot does not develop into stone cold killer, rather they get more and more nervous and afraid especially when they older. That is why so many gangsters quit when they hit 30.
    It is going to interesting to see Rick cope with being "shell shocked"

United States
    Couple of minor observations. I like how Tara refered the undead as "Biters" and not "Walkers", considering that was what The Governor called them. Nice attention to detail there.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we see these bandits again. Let's not forget one of them saw Rick's face and I wouldn't think they were too happy with Rick's Walker bomb.

And finally, Rick has a new jacket!

That is all.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Even if it didn't quite click when Rick left the bathroom door open, it didn't all come together for you guys when Rick is outside and the bandits start screaming and shooting inside?
    Actually I didn't twig then either!

They had other people that they'd captured, so I'd assumed that:

A) One or more of their human captives had been killed/died, and had resurrected.
    B) That they'd brought a walker home for some sick entertainment and the situation had got out of hand.

But yes - Rick's walker trap makes a lot more sense.

I must have been properly off-my-game to have missed both walker trap related hints.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    And finally, Rick has a new jacket!

That is all.
    I know, right - that shirt of his was proper manky.

However, this does play into something that has irked me for the past couple of seasons - the events of a season seem to take place over a very short period of time (up to 4 weeks) - and the weather at the start of the season is sweltering, but by the last couple of episodes it's chilly and you can see their breath (naturally, because the production time is spread out over several months), but it does irk me that there isn't more time expended between episodes.

Of course, with how the story is structured this season, it has to be over this kind of a confined time period, but I would really like them to deliberately write-in more time passed between some of the episodes. It does make it feel like their year goes something like this: months & months of nothing too awful happening and nobody dying, and then the shittest 2-to-4 weeks, and then months & months of nothing that bad happening (relatively), and then another terrible couple of weeks.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

However, this does play into something that has irked me for the past couple of seasons - the events of a season seem to take place over a very short period of time (up to 4 weeks) - and the weather at the start of the season is sweltering, but by the last couple of episodes it's chilly and you can see their breath (naturally, because the production time is spread out over several months), but it does irk me that there isn't more time expended between episodes.

Of course, with how the story is structured this season, it has to be over this kind of a confined time period, but I would really like them to deliberately write-in more time passed between some of the episodes. It does make it feel like their year goes something like this: months & months of nothing too awful happening and nobody dying, and then the shittest 2-to-4 weeks, and then months & months of nothing that bad happening (relatively), and then another terrible couple of weeks.

I agree with this, it feels like the season only covers a few weeks of the year, for example season 2-3 it just started season 3 with "Wow, what a winter! anyways...." I would have really liked to see what happened over the winter. whereas all of season 4 episodes so far have taken place over a period of maybe 2 weeks. It also makes it extremely hard to tell how much time has passed since it all started. They're obviously suggesting that nature has started to overgrow some parts of "civilization" but it seems like it's been less than a year since this all started (only one winter) because it was spring/early summer in season 1.
    Last edited by zombieparanoia; 27-Feb-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Even if it didn't quite click when Rick left the bathroom door open, it didn't all come together for you guys when Rick is outside and the bandits start screaming and shooting inside?
    I wondered why he was opening the door for a moment, but sussed it as soon as he headed toward the window...that's when it clicked (and we've seen walkers used as weapons before in this series).

Funnily enough though, I sort of forgot about it until we heard it's sighs/groans coming from the house when Rick was outside.

Edit: Still can't get over how good Andrew Lincoln was under that bed...he was shaking with fear...unarmed, house full of violent marauders and his kid and friend ready to come back at any minute...brilliant scene!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 27-Feb-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    It also makes it extremely hard to tell how much time has passed since it all started. They're obviously suggesting that nature has started to overgrow some parts of "civilization" but it seems like it's been less than a year since this all started (only one winter) because it was spring/early summer in season 1.
    We've had two winters (one between 2 and 3, and the other between 3 and 4) - according to Lincoln & Co it's been at least 18 months. Season 1 and 2 took place one after the other in a pretty tight space of time (although, IIRC, in 18 Miles Out they mentioned a week had passed between the previous episode and that one, but apart from that it seems incredibly rare for any considerable amount of time to pass between episodes ... we just get these months-long gaps between seasons).

I understand that it'd be difficult to cover the winter, particularly with their production schedule (they work year-round covering all the stages of production), but it'd be really neat if we got, say, a single episode at the start of a new seasons that took place during the winter in which a significant event happened that would affect events later in the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Still can't get over how good Andrew Lincoln was under that bed...he was shaking with fear...unarmed, house full of violent marauders and his kid and friend ready to come back at any minute...brilliant scene!
    Agreed, he was superb in this episode. The sense of fear and adrenaline was palpable. Properly tense, too!

United States
    I don't think we've ever had an episode where it was raining neither. Not a drop. I could be wrong, tho.

Edit: Nevermind, just remembered "Guts", any others?
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 28-Feb-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Rain rain go away
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Edit: Nevermind, just remembered "Guts", any others?
    That scene/premise always bothered me!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That scene/premise always bothered me!
    That's one idea from Darabont that I'm glad has been some what dropped - the smell. And I still argue that it was just the characters trying to make sense of the situation and it was actually their actions rather than the smell that confused the walkers. Because if you notice, the walkers don't start noticing Rick and Glenn in "Guts" until Glenn starts freaking out and breaking character. The same could be said about Michonne walking with the herd in recent episodes. As long as she maintained acting as a walker, they wouldn't notice. It's when she started looking around too much and realizing she doesn't want to go back to her old loner ways that they start to take notice.

Kind of like Shaun of the Dead. If they act as a zombie, don't talk, and don't panic, they can maneuver in and around the herds.

One thing I do miss from the Darabont days is the "Hinzman Hobble". I liked the idea of the walkers being able to do a quicker shuffle when food is nearby, but they've seemed to have dropped that idea entirely after Darabont's departure.

Ireland
    Yeh Bass, that's the way I have to look at it as well, cos otherwise I think I'd explode.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Scotland
    I'd imagine the initial screaming and commotion from inside the house (while Rick is hiding by the outside porch), is the unconscious guy in the bedroom being brought round by his "bathroom walker buddy" chewing on him.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    I'd imagine the initial screaming and commotion from inside the house (while Rick is hiding by the outside porch), is the unconscious guy in the bedroom being brought round by his "bathroom walker buddy" chewing on him.
    Another possibility I totally missed!

Damn, I'm missing everything related to the walker trap this week.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    Oh, I do like that theory. That works for me big time!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I thought both the guys upstairs were dead. You don't sleep that long when you get choked out. Yeah, when I heard the walker sounds and screaming from inside and the guy on the porch went back in I assumed that was what happened. I didn't think about it could have been their captive.

Scotland
    Wouldn't the walker from the bathroom have immediately fed on the "bedroom survivor" whether he was unconscious or recently deceased, thus keeping it occupied upstairs? I don't think the walker went downstairs. Possibly it was discovered devouring the upstairs survivor, which then sparked the commotion? However, I agree with the general consensus on here that he was only unconscious? Plus it completes the whole sequence rather neatly, and IMO imparts a deadly eloquence to Rick's entire "walker bomb" plan.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 01-Mar-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!