Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x11 "Claimed" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 4x11 "Claimed" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 4x11 "Claimed" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 411 – Claimed: “Just when Rick thinks he’s going to be able to relax, he’s faced with multiple immediate threats. Other members of the group deal with their past”

Written by: Nichole Beattie & Seth Hoffman
    Directed by: Seith Mann
    Seith Mann previously directed episode 3x10 "Home", while Nichole Beattie wrote (among others) episode 4x06 "Live Bait", while Seth Hoffman has previously written 4x08 "Too Far Gone".

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.
    Yes, please

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I'm back to wondering wtf rick is thinking half the time. Ok he hides under the bed because hes unarmed but why leave out the side the guys leg is clearly hanging off? and then why not grab the gun that was on the bed 5 feet in front of him when the other guy was coming up the stairs instead of going into the bathroom? or waiting forever instead of just shooting the guy on the porch? I just don't get his thinking sometimes.

And so far Abraham Ford is really not blowing my skirt up, it just feels like poor casting. And is Eugene autistic? He sure seemed it with the gun issue and his "a lack of understanding of rapid fire weapons" excuses. And the "it's classified" may have played in the comics but I would shoot someone in the face if they told me that I couldn't know something because it was classified more than a year after the zombie apocalypse has happened.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    And what was with that guy strangling the other one to death? he should have at least stabbed him in the head after it so he doesn't reanimate while he's asleep.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 24-Feb-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: ijp

England
    Loved it. The tension was unbelievable throughout. Cracking stuff
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Another solid episode. A tad slow in some parts, but over all a good one.

I think it's safe to say we experienced "the hunters" in this episode - I really dug how they rarely showed their faces, and we only caught glimpses of them. Hopefully we'll get to see more of them in due course, it'd be a damn shame to just leave their subplot and do nothing more with it ... so hopefully we'll get some more.

I enjoyed the Michonne/Carl team-up and feels sesh - she's only willing to reveal her inner turmoil to him, and I dug their interplay throughout the episode. Another thing I loved was the 'implied narrative' of what had happened in that house - a whole family were asleep and died. Although I'm not sure by what means, there didn't seem to be gunshots to their heads (right?), so even if they were poisoned, they would have come back ... the girl in the corner shot herself though, clearly, so I'm assuming she killed her family or something like that (creepy foreshadowing, perhaps?).

*GOES TO CHECK*

Well, looking closer, there's definitely dried blood on the pillow beneath the parents' heads - and it looks like there's either a gunshot or knife wound in the mother's body's forehead. It's unclear with the two children side-by-side, but perhaps a knife to the brain? I'm assuming that was KNB's thinking - but it would have been better if that had been just a little bit clearer.

Liking Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita - they feel like their comic counterparts. We'll have to give them time to settle in, we didn't get a lot of time with them in this episode. I wonder what it'd be like having Tyreese and Abraham together - two burly dudes with anger issues ... hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    I'm back to wondering wtf rick is thinking half the time. Ok he hides under the bed because hes unarmed but why leave out the side the guys leg is clearly hanging off? and then why not grab the gun that was on the bed 5 feet in front of him when the other guy was coming up the stairs instead of going into the bathroom? or waiting forever instead of just shooting the guy on the porch? I just don't get his thinking sometimes.

And so far Abraham Ford is really not blowing my skirt up, it just feels like poor casting. And is Eugene autistic? He sure seemed it with the gun issue and his "a lack of understanding of rapid fire weapons" excuses. And the "it's classified" may have played in the comics but I would shoot someone in the face if they told me that I couldn't know something because it was classified more than a year after the zombie apocalypse has happened.
    1) He didn't take the gun because then they'd damn well know someone was in the house with them. He was going to take it, but the person whose gun it was came back up the stairs, and without a safe exit from the house secured yet, Rick had to pretend he wasn't there still. Likewise, he didn't go in all guns blazing with the guy on the porch because there's at least three, possibly four, conscious dudes with automatic weapons who are obviously rather bad guys. It'd be idiotic to kick off with them - if he can get out unseen and unheard, then good.

2) Now, I would have preferred if the reason Eugene shot the fuel tank by accident was because a walker had grabbed his shoulder, and he turned in fright and did it ... a small tweak would have made that mistake better.

"Classified" or not, shooting someone who is saying they know what's causing this mess would be a really stupid idea, just because they irk you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    And what was with that guy strangling the other one to death? he should have at least stabbed him in the head after it so he doesn't reanimate while he's asleep.
    He only choked him out - there was a line of reference saying he was just passed out.

*edit*

Agreed with kidgloves - excellent tension in this episode during the scenes with Rick.

TWD 4x11 Memes:
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Feb-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    He was still breathing when he slumped...I assumed he choked him out, not killed him. Similar strain of thought came,up in the talking dead.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Enjoyed this one..Michonne seems to have given up altogether on her tough silent image and seems far more relaxed being herself around people she has learned to love and trust. I warm to her character more and more each episode. The old Michonne hid/buried a lot of genuine humanity and sense of humour under her frowning visage.

Really enjoyed the Rick scenes, he was really panicked to the point of shitting his pants, it must come as a shock to be so vulnerable all of a sudden, even at their worst, the group have always been well armed and able to stand tall and deal with threats they are confronted with, this was a bad moment for him, and it showed.

Hope the Sgt and his crew get more fleshed out, as others said, they haven't really hit any sweet spots. Not impressed with Daisy Duke at all...I'm sure that hot pants aren't the best choice of clothing in a world full of bitey things and potential groups of rapists/marauders, or even a world where you might have to run through some bushes now and then...her whole outfit seems like a really cheap and ill thought out idea by the wardrobe and script people (who must 14 year guys judging by the way they kitted her out)...get her in some fucking jeans and a shirt or something.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 24-Feb-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Not impressed with Daisy Duke at all...I'm sure that hot pants aren't the best choice of clothing in a world full of bitey things and potential groups of rapists/marauders, or even a world where you might have to run through some bushes now and then...her whole outfit seems like a really cheap and ill thought out idea by the wardrobe and script people (who must 14 year guys judging by the way they kitted her out)...get her in some fucking jeans and a shirt or something.
    Most likely not going to happen, as that's been her default look in the comic book since her first appearance.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Really enjoyed the Rick scenes, he was really panicked to the point of shitting his pants, it must come as a shock to be so vulnerable all of a sudden, even at their worst, the group have always been well armed and able to stand tall and deal with threats they are confronted with, this was a bad moment for him, and it showed.

Hope the Sgt and his crew get more fleshed out, as others said, they haven't really hit any sweet spots. Not impressed with Daisy Duke at all...I'm sure that hot pants aren't the best choice of clothing in a world full of bitey things and potential groups of rapists/marauders, or even a world where you might have to run through some bushes now and then...her whole outfit seems like a really cheap and ill thought out idea by the wardrobe and script people (who must 14 year guys judging by the way they kitted her out)...get her in some fucking jeans and a shirt or something.
    Agreed. The scenes with Rick were scripted well IMO, considering he just had the crap kicked out of him, he has no gun, no support and he's also out numbered. He came across as anything but invulnerable this time.

As for "Daisy Duke" , her comic image doesn't translate to the screen IMO. Christ, imagine if Rosita became a walker in those shorts.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    1) He didn't take the gun because then they'd damn well know someone was in the house with them. He was going to take it, but the person whose gun it was came back up the stairs, and without a safe exit from the house secured yet, Rick had to pretend he wasn't there still. Likewise, he didn't go in all guns blazing with the guy on the porch because there's at least three, possibly four, conscious dudes with automatic weapons who are obviously rather bad guys. It'd be idiotic to kick off with them - if he can get out unseen and unheard, then good.

2) Now, I would have preferred if the reason Eugene shot the fuel tank by accident was because a walker had grabbed his shoulder, and he turned in fright and did it ... a small tweak would have made that mistake better.

"Classified" or not, shooting someone who is saying they know what's causing this mess would be a really stupid idea, just because they irk you.

1. You're always better off armed against armed opponents than unarmed. The only reason his "escape plan" worked was because they wrote it in that nobody heard the crashing fight in the bathroom or the 150lb guy fall from the roof onto the back deck. Considering how audible the tennis ball hitting the walls was, it seems like either of those two activities would have been clearly heard throughout the house. When he heard the walker commotion going on in the house he should have shot the guy on the deck.

2. I agree, there were a lot of better ways to have had it happen. He doesn't have to be ace sniper but to suggest that neither rosita or abraham took 2 minutes at any point they had been travelling together to walk him through how to use a rifle seems weak storytelling.

No, I'd shoot them because the idea of keeping secrets for reasons of "classified" after the zombie apocalypse has happened is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, like what do you think I'm a spy? Besides, it doesn't take a genius to realize that knowing what caused it and how to stop it are vastly different things. Add to that he gives the impression of being as smart as a turnip, I'd call bullshit on his charade, unless he gave a very thorough and convincing explanation that he is in fact somebody in the know. I really hope they don't have him "show how smart he is" with some 9th grade science experiment level scientific understanding, because it would make me think every other character on the show is an idiot.

Administrator

England
    why leave out the side the guys leg is clearly hanging off?
    Because around the other way the unconscious guy is half in the way and/or it's more out of sight of the landing?

and then why not grab the gun that was on the bed 5 feet in front of him when the other guy was coming up the stairs instead of going into the bathroom?
    Because he was panicked and didn't have 20-20 hindsight? Or simply didn't want to risk it?

or waiting forever instead of just shooting the guy on the porch?
    Shoots one, get shot at by X more? Shoots none, gets shot at by none?

I just don't get his thinking sometimes.
    This is one episode I had no issues with. For once our heroes even did sensible things like they cared about their existance. eg: Rick pushing the couch up against the door before his nap!

- - - Updated - - -

He didn't kill him. Just made him unconscious. He was at risk of coming around any second and exposing Rick! In fact I'll swear they showed him snoring slightly and his lips moving in front of Rick?

- - - Updated - - -

*GOES TO CHECK*

Well, looking closer, there's definitely dried blood on the pillow beneath the parents' heads - and it looks like there's either a gunshot or knife wound in the mother's body's forehead. It's unclear with the two children side-by-side, but perhaps a knife to the brain? I'm assuming that was KNB's thinking - but it would have been better if that had been just a little bit clearer.
    That was one of the few "why didn't they" in this episode. The person/zombie sitting the chair had clearly blown their brains out. Michonne didn't for one second think the gun/ammo might be useful?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Good episode. No moaning.

Rick vs wankers...that was tense! Some great TV there.

And Michonne checking out that creepy room. Edge of the seat.

S4 is certainly the best we've seen yet. The new showrunner seems to know what he's doing. Much better than any that's come before.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Michonne didn't for one second think the gun/ammo might be useful?
    I'm assuming that, perhaps, the gun had already been taken by someone else who'd been roaming around sometime during the past 18 months. It'd be a small detail that's not of any real story influence, so you've gotta trim any moments that don't push the story forward, even if it does leave a small hanging question. Or the gun might have had no bullets in it ... or she was so aghast at what she'd seen she had to get the hell out of there (and protect Carl from seeing it, as that was one of her motives as revealed on the "Inside TWD" featurette on YouTube this week).

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    S4 is certainly the best we've seen yet. The new showrunner seems to know what he's doing. Much better than any that's come before.
    Gimple's got the TWD goods. An established fan of the comics, he's brought it much more on-track again - or rather, 'on-track' in a more Darabont-style way. Enough of the comic to make it an adaptation, and enough new stuff to keep it fresh.

Understandably Kirkman, having already written these stories, wants to do something fresh and does try to find new ways of covering this ground, while Gimple is a big fan of the comics and does try to keep as much stuff as possible - so I'd say they make a good team with a good push/pull in both directions - whereas I think with Mazzara he was far less concerned with the comic book and that's why it shifted relatively far away from the source material (too far).

I'm very pleased with Gimple's leadership and it's cool to know he's signed up for Season 5.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Good episode. No moaning.

Rick vs wankers...that was tense! Some great TV there.

And Michonne checking out that creepy room. Edge of the seat.

Absolutely. S4 has been outstanding IMO, loads of meat in every episode. I'd go as far as saying that even the "worst" episodes of this season can stand toe to toe with the best of the previous three seasons. Very, very pleased with how this series is playing out, I have very few real complaints.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon