Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla (film) - 2014 reboot

Undisclosed

United States
    I'm not where I can watch the "elders" trailer right now, but I saw the Asia trailer last night, & it is bad ass. I love the marketing they've done for this movie thus far. They give you a feel for the different emotional tones of the movie (depending on which one you see), show you who's in it, give you a good look at the titular creature, & a vague idea what the movie is about & THAT'S IT: NO SPOILER-RAMA-A-GO-GO!!!!

Administrator

England
    Well, all the reviews I've seen for it so far have been fairly mediocre - http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=137875

Shame!

EDIT: And then CinemaBlend goes and give it 5/5 - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Godzilla-6833.html (Seems a bit of a fan boy review TBH though)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, all the reviews I've seen for it so far have been fairly mediocre - http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=137875

Shame!

EDIT: And then CinemaBlend goes and give it 5/5 - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Godzilla-6833.html (Seems a bit of a fan boy review TBH though)
    Critics were not very positive about "Pacific Rim" either. I loved it. They are not the target audience for this movie. So if you're looking for the well-reviewed & beloved by mainstream critics movie, "Lord Fancypants & Lady Fartknockers Picnic" is playing in theater two sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Shock 'Till You Drop: Positive. http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...-the-monsters/

Bloody Disgusting: Lukewarm. http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews...ikeliest-foes/

Dread Central: Positive (4/5. http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/...#axzz31SuQYEmm

Rotten Tomatoes: 83% fresh thus far, 4 of 5 stars, 18 reviews in : http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_2014/
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 12-May-2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Oh Dear....

United States
    seeing this in theaters this weekend. pretty pumped. taking my 5-year old nephew, just hoping my girlfriend is incorrect about it being "too scary" for him. guess we'll see, but he's a big fan of dinosaurs and stuff like that, so i'm predicting he'll be fine.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    seeing this in theaters this weekend. pretty pumped. taking my 5-year old nephew, just hoping my girlfriend is incorrect about it being "too scary" for him. guess we'll see, but he's a big fan of dinosaurs and stuff like that, so i'm predicting he'll be fine.

Taking a half day tomorrow to go catch a 7:00 show, then took Friday off so I can go catch some matinee's.

United States
    Went to the 7pm show tonight (no spoiler thoughts follow): I liked it. Not sure if I loved it. Maybe borderline. But it was a solid giant monster flick, & more importantly a solid GODZILLA flick (something GINO '98 could NEVER, EVER lay claim to.)

Checking out the Toho Kingdom fansite tonight showed most hardcore fan reactions are generally pleased/mixed positive, which is about where I am.

I'd say they got more right than wrong. The only complaint that I've heard that I agree with is that the film could use more Godzilla. I had no problem with the amount of screen time devoted to the human characters at all, but think the movie could have used just a smidge more G. Maybe a minor/inconclusive fight earlier, etc.

All in all, I'd say 6.5 of 10. I think I liked "Pacific Rim" maybe just a bit more, as it fully embraced its subject matter & went gonzo with it, whereas G'14 is a little more restrained. Still, the DVD of this one will rest comfortably alongside its Toho counterparts, whereas G'98 is WAAYYY down at the other end of the shelf...

I'm going to go see it at least once more tomorrow, and may go again Saturday. I want to get a few more viewings, now that I know what to expect, to form a more solid opinion.

Just remember you lot who go see it: #1 It's a Giant Monster Movie. #2 It's a Godzilla Movie. Do NOT expect to take it TOO seriously. Do NOT expect it to be TOO "realistic". Wonky science & crack pot theories are pretty much a staple of this genre. You have to have a pretty healthy suspension of disbelief to buy a giant, radioactive dinosaur, who breathes atomic rays to begin with.

Beyond that, I'll be happy to discuss specifics (with spoiler tags) with those who see it, or answer questions for those who have not.

- - - Updated - - -

Went & caught a 2:00 matinee today. I liked it even better the 2nd time around. Think I'll raise my score to a 7.5. I felt less critical the 2nd time around, & since I knew what to expect the pacing felt more natural, & the end battle more enjoyable.

Though I still think it could use just a tad more Godzilla. There is a 2nd act battle that we only get a glimpse of that would have solved that issue. I have a suspicion that it was either shot & then cut, or cut in the script stage, or cut back/down to what is seen due to budgetary reasons.

In any case, I'm already hoping it was shot so that maybe it could be added back in on DVD/Blu.

United States
    well, my feelings are kinda split. on one hand, godzilla looked awesome, particularly in shots where he was outlined against the coastline or ocean in daylight when you could really see him in all his glory. the dude is downright massive and a walking force of destruction. battles scenes like the ones in godzilla vs mothra would be amazing to see with today's effects.

however, lots of the film's action took place in inside the city and at night, during a power outage, with almost near-blackout conditions from the tons of ash and smoke hovering in the air. very hard to make out what was going on at times. from what i did see, the monster fight scenes were downright epic......they just didn't show enough of that sort of thing. in fact there were two parts that i recall where they actually cut away from the monster action just as it was about to begin (the airport in japan was the first, can't recall the second), only to drop in the the ho-hum boring lives human characters getting their kids ready for bed or whatever...which brings me to my next point.

the human story wasn't compelling enough, didn't really give a crap about any of the characters aside from cranston's, as none of them were even remotely interesting. towards the very end, when the big g was outlined against the pacific in the early morning light, i couldn't help but think: "man, this movie would have been so much better with shots like these, more godzilla, and more monster battles going on in the daylight."

nowhere close to as bad as the '98 shit-show, but a bit of a let-down. would probably give it a 6/10. perhaps with a second viewing would help me as well, but i really don't wanna pay for it. maybe when it hits the premium channels. on a related note, i saw it in 3d, and not really by choice, either. the theater i went to was showing the movie on four screens, with three of them being 3d. if i'd have opted for a 2d screening, i would've had to wait for almost 90 minutes for the next one to start. and since i had to pay for three tickets, it ended up costing me another 9 dollars.....so admittedly, i was a bit irked before the previews even started.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Do you not think the 3D added anything then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    not really anything worth the extra money. i wasn't too impressed with the 3d in amazing spider-man 2 either. however, the 3d in the first amazing spider-man film was awesome and well worth a few bucks extra.

i've only seen those 3 films in 3d, so i'm no expert, but i really don't see it as anything more than a gimmick to milk consumers for more money.

United States
    ^^ Do you not think the 3D added anything then?
    My first showing was in 3D, second in 2D. It did feel a little "flatter" after having seen it in 3D first, but if all I'd seen was 2D I don't know if it would have made a difference.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    This movie had ridiculous amounts of stupid and ungodly sums of writer fiat in it, however this was offset by tons of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

I'd say they got more right than wrong.
    I agree...surprisingly, as I hadn't enjoyed a Godzilla movie since I was 10.

The only complaint that I've heard that I agree with is that the film could use more Godzilla. I had no problem with the amount of screen time devoted to the human characters at all, but think the movie could have used just a smidge more G. Maybe a minor/inconclusive fight earlier, etc.
    I sort of agree...I really liked the less is more concept and that focus on people and atmosphere gave me an immersion I've never seen in any of the prior Godzilla movies.

I enjoyed it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    not really anything worth the extra money. i wasn't too impressed with the 3d in amazing spider-man 2 either. however, the 3d in the first amazing spider-man film was awesome and well worth a few bucks extra.

i've only seen those 3 films in 3d, so i'm no expert, but i really don't see it as anything more than a gimmick to milk consumers for more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    My first showing was in 3D, second in 2D. It did feel a little "flatter" after having seen it in 3D first, but if all I'd seen was 2D I don't know if it would have made a difference.
    This review rates Godzilla's 3D as some of the best ever, so you guys are clearly a hard crowd to please

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-42967.html
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    perhaps with a second viewing would help me as well, but i really don't wanna pay for it.
    Catch a matinee. I know I enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time. WIsh I'd had time for a 3rd. Maybe next weekend with the kids.

I really am glad to hear this. There was nothing to suggest it in the film, but I have a feeling there are some things in the backstory that may get expanded on in a sequel

like the MUTO's. Supposedly of Terrestrial origin in pre-history, but something tells me EXTRA-terrestrial...

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    This movie had ridiculous amounts of stupid and ungodly sums of writer fiat in it, however this was offset by tons of awesome.
    I don't know if I would call it STUPID...typical monster movie logic perhaps...

I agree...surprisingly, as I hadn't enjoyed a Godzilla movie since I was 10.
    Then you haven't watched enough of them. The Heisei series of the 90's was awesome. Millenium series of the 2000's was uneven, but still quite good IMO.

I sort of agree...I really liked the less is more concept and that focus on people and atmosphere gave me an immersion I've never seen in any of the prior Godzilla movies.
    I wouldn't want them to loose any of the human footage. Just add maybe 5-10 min to the runtime of pure Godzilla. What I would have liked to see was

The Honolulu fight. I think it would have been neat to transition from the news coverage, to the real thing. Not a long one, just a few minutes, with an inconclusive end, just enough to titillate & set up what is to come, while tiding you over untill the main event at the same time. I'm hoping maybe it was shot in full & might appear on Blu/DVD?

This review rates Godzilla's 3D as some of the best ever, so you guys are clearly a hard crowd to please

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-42967.html
    "Mr. Pott, did you just call me black?" (Kettle, HPOTD 2014)

I do remember an opening shot that was quite nice, & some of the shots of Big G I remember subliminally being impressed by, but it wasn't one of those movies that has stuff jumping out at you or anything like that. As a result, when I watch 3D movies, I get engrossed in the MOVIE & tend not to pay it too much mind...
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 19-May-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: crossing T's