Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla (film) - 2014 reboot

Administrator

England
    ^^ The thing I tend to feel about 3D films is fast action actually seems to suffer in clarity?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Terrible film I didn't go to see monsters stomp on buildings! I wanted Art! I went to see Godzilla 98 to see a monster stomp on buildings but not this time! RUINED FOREVER!!!!!
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 21-May-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: brain fart

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Terrible film I didn't go to see monsters stomp on films! I wanted Art! I went to see Godzilla 98 to see a monster stomp on films but not this time! RUINED FOREVER!!!!!
    Sorry, are you saying you didn't enjoy this Godzilla movie (2014)?
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sorry, are you saying you didn't enjoy this Godzilla movie (2014)?
    I enjoyed a lot of it, there were two annoying teases but it was well worth watching at the flicks.

Administrator

England
    I basically enjoyed it. A couple of bits were great, but the rest felt somewhat "flat" to me, I think mainly because the human element felt so clunky!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Terrible film I didn't go to see monsters stomp on buildings! I wanted Art! I went to see Godzilla 98 to see a monster stomp on buildings but not this time! RUINED FOREVER!!!!!
    I see what you did there.

I basically enjoyed it. A couple of bits were great, but the rest felt somewhat "flat" to me, I think mainly because the human element felt so clunky!
    Sounds like every G film I ever saw. Seriously though, I thought the human story was ok, nothing spectacular, but serviceable. BUT:

I think it would have been a lot better if they hadn't killed off Cranston's character. Just because his "function had been filled" script wise, they still could have kept him around to observe & comment on the events as they unfolded. Then reunite with the son & his family at the end. It would have been much more emotionally satisfying IMO
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 22-May-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: There goes Tokyo

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    [spoiler]Sounds like every G film I ever saw. Seriously though, I thought the human story was ok, nothing spectacular, but serviceable. BUT:

I think it would have been a lot better if they hadn't killed off Cranston's character. Just because his "function had been filled" script wise, they still could have kept him around to observe & comment on the events as they unfolded. Then reunite with the son & his family at the end. It would have been much more emotionally satisfying IMO
    Yes, that event was the point at which there was a downturn in the human aspect of the film IMHO... It felt a bit empty and clunky from that point.

I also got a little annoyed seemingly no matter where on the entire planet his son/wife/grandson seemed to go/or be, the monsters ended up there almost personally bashing them as if they had some personal vendetta against this particular family

Given how effective Godzilla's super laser breath was, why didn't he use it earlier, even when he was almost being beaten?
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm still hoping to catch this before it exits theaters, but for those of you that saw it in 3D/IMAX 3D, how would you compare it to a recent similar event film like Pacific Rim?

I thoroughly enjoyed Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D. It was like an explosive roller coaster ride that rattled my senses at every turn. Sure, the film itself had issues, but on a purely spectacle sort of level it blew my mind. Is this film similar?

Administrator

England
    ^^ I only saw it in 2D, but reports seem to suggest the 3D is good!?

If you accept the human element is pretty average at best, and the film is not a great monster film, but certainly a more than adequate one, then you'll be fine IMHO
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yes, that event was the point at which there was a downturn in the human aspect of the film IMHO... It felt a bit empty and clunky from that point.

I also got a little annoyed seemingly no matter where on the entire planet his son/wife/grandson seemed to go/or be, the monsters ended up there almost personally bashing them as if they had some personal vendetta against this particular family

That didn't bother me too much...they gave reasonable enough explanations as to why the MUTO's were where they were & going where they went.

Given how effective Godzilla's super laser breath was, why didn't he use it earlier, even when he was almost being beaten?

From what I understand, G's Atomic Heat Ray is supposed to take a lot out of him. Note both times after he used it he collapses briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm still hoping to catch this before it exits theaters, but for those of you that saw it in 3D/IMAX 3D, how would you compare it to a recent similar event film like Pacific Rim?

I thoroughly enjoyed Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D. It was like an explosive roller coaster ride that rattled my senses at every turn. Sure, the film itself had issues, but on a purely spectacle sort of level it blew my mind. Is this film similar?
    I'd say PR was the edge. It was bigger & more action-y. Though Godzilla is still worth seeing IMO. The 3rd act alone mostly makes up for the somewhat more subdued 1st & 2nd (2nd especially).
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 22-May-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Go Go Godzilla!

Ireland

hahahahahahah

I literally LOL'd.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    hahahahahahah

I literally LOL'd.

I forget which on that's from...GxMegalon I think? The Showa era films (60's -70's) started 100% serious & straight, but got more bat shit crazy/full of goofy 70's Japanese pop culture goodness as they went. They are a a lot of fun though.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Here it is (Godzilla vs Megalon):

Godzilla's victory dance (Invasion of the Astro Monster):

Godzilla flying

Undisclosed

I forget which on that's from...GxMegalon I think?
    Uhhuh, you sure you're a fan?

Some Godzilla dvd news in case anyone's paying attention:
    -Gigan, Hedorah, Ebirah have been rereleased on dvd and blu
    -Media Blasters is finally rereleasing Megalon and DAM on dvd and blu sans extras including a Walmart 2fer exclusive (DAM english track is wrong pitch probably again)
    -various Hesei or Millenium released on blu 2fers (not sure, I only buy Showa)
    -all Gamera films crammed on blu and dvd multipacks by Mill Creek w/out english audio

...all because of this glorified video game of a movie CGIzilla 2014.

You all enjoy your modern day digital seizures. I am rewatching all my crappy Classic Media Godzilla dvds in protest.