Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla (film) - 2014 reboot

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Uhhuh, you sure you're a fan?
    Got it right didn't I? That was exactly the scene I was pretty sure it was from, so yes, I am a fan thank you very much.

...all because of this glorified video game of a movie CGIzilla 2014.

You all enjoy your modern day digital seizures. I am rewatching all my crappy Classic Media Godzilla dvds in protest.
    I'll enjoy them both, thanks. I'll up the ante though. I still watch all the Showa & Heisei films on VHS.

Super Moderator

United States
    Uhhuh, you sure you're a fan?

Some Godzilla dvd news in case anyone's paying attention:
    -Gigan, Hedorah, Ebirah have been rereleased on dvd and blu
    -Media Blasters is finally rereleasing Megalon and DAM on dvd and blu sans extras including a Walmart 2fer exclusive (DAM english track is wrong pitch probably again)
    -various Hesei or Millenium released on blu 2fers (not sure, I only buy Showa)
    -all Gamera films crammed on blu and dvd multipacks by Mill Creek w/out english audio

...all because of this glorified video game of a movie CGIzilla 2014.

You all enjoy your modern day digital seizures. I am rewatching all my crappy Classic Media Godzilla dvds in protest.
    Wow, it just got creepy in here.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Wow, it just got creepy in here.
    Godzilla is serious business.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I'll up the ante though. I still watch all the Showa & Heisei films on VHS.
    See I knew you were a Godzilla nut and you shouldn't act like it's uncool.

and full confession: I only have the CM box, Megalon dvd (no extras), and a Hedorah +R.

DAM dvdr in processing (fixing the audio) and burning the OOP extras discs for Megalon and DAM.

I want the Sonys of Hedorah, Son, Gigan, Sea Monster, Mechagodzilla(is that MB) cause someone said the blurays are just a tad better than those dvds.

United States
    See I knew you were a Godzilla nut and you shouldn't act like it's uncool.
    Didn't realize I was...never said it wasn't. I've been vocally & unapologetically a fan forever now, & never made any bones about it.

Matter of fact I've been speaking out in defense of G for quite some time 'round these parts.

Why else would I have about 20-30 of the Bandai 6" vinyls, the 12" Banpresto G2000, & the new Diamond Select G89 adorning my room?

Still got a bunch of the old Trendmasters around too. Have the 6" NECA G2014 in the mail. Should be here by Wednesday.

Not to mention all the Dark Horse & IDW comics, J.D Lee's "Godzilla Conpendium", issues of G-Fan, "Kaiju Wars" boardgame, etc.

Heck, even still have my Godzilla from the "Shogun Warriors" line from when I was a kids back in the 70's.

Back to the movies: Have the whole Showa & Heisei series on VHS (except "Raids Again" which was out of print & I never could find until I DL'ed a copy), & the whole Millenuim series on DVD.

I've gotten about 1/3 of the of the Showa & Heisei on DVD, but got lazy & put off the rest, because as I say, I still watch the VHS. I would like to replace "Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster" though, as the tracking is TERRIBLE on the one I have.

Between seeing 2014 last weekend & this conversation, I think I'm going to pop over to Amazon & rectify that.

So no, trust me, Godzilla is way cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Went & saw it with the kids today. That makes my 3rd viewing, the kids first. They both loved it, & I enjoyed it just as much or maybe even a smidge more. This time I was really "comfortable" with it & I caught some little things I'd missed before & have taken away different thoughts about various elements of the film with each viewing.

I don't know if I'll make any more theatrical viewings or not. But I'm already looking forward to the DVD.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 24-May-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Long live the King(of the Monsters)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Saw this last weekend. Man, it was crap. It shouldn't even be titled Godzilla. Out of all the monsters, he's in it the least. The human characters were so bland. The main character was really dull. Ken Watanabe's doctor was just standing around looking on in disbelief all the time - seriously he had very few lines. He'd just stand there and do nothing.

What was the point of this film? It's so... Empty.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Saw this last weekend. Man, it was crap. It shouldn't even be titled Godzilla. Out of all the monsters, he's in it the least. The human characters were so bland. The main character was really dull. Ken Watanabe's doctor was just standing around looking on in disbelief all the time - seriously he had very few lines. He'd just stand there and do nothing.

I didn't feel as harsh as you about it... but I agree with your comments. It did have some nice sections/elements to it, but they were outnumbered by poorer bits.

And I did laugh out loud at just how unfortunately this one family were. ie: Where ever they went, monsters seemed to follow them to that part of the globe to stomp on them
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I didn't feel as harsh as you about it... but I agree with your comments. It did have some nice sections/elements to it, but they were outnumbered by poorer bits.

And I did laugh out loud at just how unfortunately this one family were. ie: Where ever they went, monsters seemed to follow them to that part of the globe to stomp on them
    Had the film been more like that Trailer-scene, with the air drop, it would have been awesome. As it turned out, that was only 2 minutes out of 120.

United States

I never cease to be puzzled why you go see films you're obviously not going to like. It was pretty clear by now what this movie was like &/or what it was all about. Believe me when I say I had sincerely hoped you WOULDN'T go see this one.

United States
    Saw it tonight, and enjoyed it. I was glad there wasn't much Cranston in it, his hair/acting in this was frighteningly bad. His wife also pretty much had the exact same hair. Weird...
    I give it a solid B+, though rewatching this might involve some fast forwarding through the slower bits. I guess maybe it's a good thing that I left craving more battle. One time when the doors close right when they are locking up, obscuring the view, I was like, "Noooooooooooo!!!"
    My favorite part, and the one that silenced the audience was:

When Godzilla lays the male out with his massive tail. I actually let escape a barely audible "fuck yeah!" all whispery like...
    And also when he barfs his blue beam down the chick MUTO's gullet. Sometimes you gotta go fetish.
    Last edited by rongravy; 26-Jul-2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: woopsie

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

I never cease to be puzzled why you go see films you're obviously not going to like. It was pretty clear by now what this movie was like &/or what it was all about. Believe me when I say I had sincerely hoped you WOULDN'T go see this one.
    Hmm?

I really liked the other one, this one was just dumb. So I dont get your point here at all.

Also, according to that flow chart... I should complain.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 26-Jul-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Lel

United States
    Hmm?

I really liked the other one, this one was just dumb. So I dont get your point here at all.
    The "other one" , meaning GINO aka G'98 was an ok monster film...but it wasn't a Godzilla film in any way, shape, or form. Hence Godzilla In Name Only. This one, while taking huge liberties, was still much closer to the classic G flicks.

Also, according to that flow chart... I should complain.
    Nope. You're doing it wrong.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The "other one" , meaning GINO aka G'98 was an ok monster film...but it wasn't a Godzilla film in any way, shape, or form. Hence Godzilla In Name Only. This one, while taking huge liberties, was still much closer to the classic G flicks.
    That's just not true. An exageration if there ever was one. There's lots of different aspects to Godzilla films, and that '98 one manages to tick a few obvious boxes for sure.

Nope. You're doing it wrong.
    In any case, I dont give two shits about internet flowcharts, as they're in no way meant to dictate my way of thinking on an internet message board. Dont wanna hear people complain about how shitty the new Godzilla film is? Here's a tip, Avoid Godzilla threads.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Jul-2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Frd

United States
    That's just not true. An exageration if there ever was one. There's lots of different aspects to Godzilla films, and that '98 one manages to tick a few obvious boxes for sure.
    Perfectly true & no exaggeration. GINO doesn't look like, act like, nor possess any of the qualities of Godzilla= Godzilla In Name Only. The movie itself caprtures none of the style or feel of a Kaiju film. It is very much an American monster movie in all ways= Godzilla Film In Name Only. As a matter of fact, the film follows the pattern of "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms a lot closer than it does any "Godzilla" film.

In any case, I dont give two shits about internet flowcharts, as they're in no way meant to dictate my way of thinking on an internet message board. Dont wanna hear people complain about how shitty the new Godzilla film is? Here's a tip, Avoid Godzilla threads.
    My, aren't we we the 'tude-y one? Here's a better idea: don't want to have something to complain about? Don't go see movies you know you're not going to like. As for listening to your bitching? All I was doing was poking fun at you, because honestly your opinion is completely irrelevant to me anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Perfectly true & no exaggeration. GINO doesn't look like, act like, nor possess any of the qualities of Godzilla= Godzilla In Name Only. The movie itself caprtures none of the style or feel of a Kaiju film. It is very much an American monster movie in all ways= Godzilla Film In Name Only. As a matter of fact, the film follows the pattern of "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms a lot closer than it does any "Godzilla" film.
    That literally makes zero sense. I've seen the original 1954 movie a number of times and I see several parallells.

Monster created by Nuclear weapons? Check.
    Reports of huge monster in the neighbourhood starts alarming the officials? Check.
    Monster attacks huge city? Check.
    Monster is a big ass reptile that will stomp on things?
    Discussion between characters as to what caused the monster and the reality that it is simply "an animal" and not "a monster".

There are many divergent points, but I've also now pointed out five common points. To suggest that the '98 version has "nothing to do" with the original film.

In my view, the '98 version shares more points with the '54 version than this one did. This one was more akin to godzilla vs Mothra, and if that's your cup of tea fine, but it's still not what I wanted out of a Godzilla film.

My, aren't we we the 'tude-y one? Here's a better idea: don't want to have something to complain about? Don't go see movies you know you're not going to like. As for listening to your bitching? All I was doing was poking fun at you, because honestly your opinion is completely irrelevant to me anyway.
    I've seen the '54 godzilla, and liked it, and i saw the '98 version, and liked it. You're just not making any sense.
    I saw Transformers 4 the other day and I liked it, so how am i supposed to discern which films are shit and not without seeing them? It can't be done. Also, don't forget, the marketing for this film was very good. Ten times better than the actual film.