Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla (film) - 2014 reboot

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    That literally makes zero sense. I've seen the original 1954 movie a number of times and I see several parallells.

Monster created by Nuclear weapons? Check.
    Reports of huge monster in the neighbourhood starts alarming the officials? Check.
    Monster attacks huge city? Check.
    Monster is a big ass reptile that will stomp on things?
    Discussion between characters as to what caused the monster and the reality that it is simply "an animal" and not "a monster".

There are many divergent points, but I've also now pointed out five common points. To suggest that the '98 version has "nothing to do" with the original film.
    You realize, of course, that this very generic list could easily describe dozens of other monster flicks that are NOT Godzilla...?

Sorry, but a Hermaphrodite, tuna eating, non-atomic breath, mutated IGUANA easily dispatched by a couple of missiles in the side is NOT Godzilla. Toho agreed. Which is why they IMMEDIATELY went back into production on their own films, when the the plan had been to turn the reigns over to the Americans & let them continue the series from there on out. Also why they made the G'98 monster a separate creature in "Godzilla:Final Wars", just so they could have the REAL Godzilla lay the smack on him.

I've seen the '54 godzilla, and liked it, and i saw the '98 version, and liked it. You're just not making any sense.
    I saw Transformers 4 the other day and I liked it, so how am i supposed to discern which films are shit and not without seeing them? It can't be done. Also, don't forget, the marketing for this film was very good. Ten times better than the actual film.
    If you say so. I didn't see anything in the marketing that the film didn't deliver. I got exactly what I expected. I knew for a fact though that YOU wouldn't like it & seem to recall saying so. So I guess I know you better than you know yourself.

In any case, you're being deliberately obtuse just for the sake of argument, as usual. I've stated my points & you refuse to see them, as usual. You don't have to agree with me. I know I'm not going to agree with you. But I'm not going to keep doing this: just because someone else wants to be contrary.

Super Moderator

United States
    I dont give two shits about internet flowcharts

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, just pointing out that the '98 version has plenty in common with the original Godzilla-film. The first godzilla film was the very first monster film of that kind, so of course it's been copied dozens of times. A remake of Godzilla is essentially just a remake of the monster genre.

The new Godzilla film is a flat out bad piece of cinema. Its a remake of the Godzilla vs. Films rather than the good old actual Godzilla-film. It's a thoroughly underwhelming picture. The marketing - especially that first teaser with the airdrop, really had me hoping for something else. I enjoy a good monster flick (or better yet, robots). Too bad this wasn't it.

United States
    Yeah, just pointing out that the '98 version has plenty in common with the original Godzilla-film. The first godzilla film was the very first monster film of that kind, so of course it's been copied dozens of times. A remake of Godzilla is essentially just a remake of the monster genre.
    Actually, that would again be "Beast from 20, 000 Fathoms", which was a huge inspiration to Honda, along with "King Kong", which really got there before either of them.

So yeah, GINO has the broadest of generalities in common which could be said of a horde of other monster movies. Just none of the look, feel, heart, soul, or specifics that make "Godzilla" Godzilla. Got it.

The new Godzilla film is a flat out bad piece of cinema. Its a remake of the Godzilla vs. Films rather than the good old actual Godzilla-film. It's a thoroughly underwhelming picture. The marketing - especially that first teaser with the airdrop, really had me hoping for something else. I enjoy a good monster flick (or better yet, robots). Too bad this wasn't it.
    Meh. Still your opinion only. And it was never intended to be a remake of the original, but a reboot to launch the character & series for a new generation. Mission accomplished.

We get it. You didn't like it. Sadly you're in the minority there, as the viewing audience at large reacted well & gave it positive marks, which is why another one is already on the way.

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor & stay far, far away from it.

(Insert your snarky rebuttal here)
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 28-Jul-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Even so, the Godzilla film from '98 shares a lot with the original, wether you like it or not. To just say "it has nothin in common with it!" is just a tad bit silly. There's obviously quite a few things similar in both films.
    Also, even if Godzilla wasn't the first, it was certainly the trendsetter. So my point stands. Godzilla from '98 was a more true remake than this one here.

I know a lot of people liked it and that's great for them. Too bad people settle with so little these days. It's truly an underdeveloped film that could have been so awesome.
    Also the awkward japanese angle they tried to work in there... Geez.

United States
    Even so, the Godzilla film from '98 shares a lot with the original, wether you like it or not. To just say "it has nothin in common with it!" is just a tad bit silly. There's obviously quite a few things similar in both films.
    Nothing of any significant substance. You could file the name "Godzilla" right off of that movie, & it wouldn't make a difference. Devlin & Emrich had zero investment in the character or the series, & were outright dismissive of both, & it showed in the final product.

Edwards approached both character & series with reverence & respect. Even though a number of changes were made to contemporize both , great pains were taken to make the character look & feel like Godzilla, & to capture the feel of a Godzilla film, & a majority of the fanbase feels that the were successful.

I know a lot of people liked it and that's great for them. Too bad people settle with so little these days.
    Nice backhanded attempt at conciliation there. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean anyone "settled" or that they got "so little".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Nothing of any significant substance. You could file the name "Godzilla" right off of that movie, & it wouldn't make a difference. Devlin & Emrich had zero investment in the character or the series, & were outright dismissive of both, & it showed in the final product.

Edwards approached both character & series with reverence & respect. Even though a number of changes were made to contemporize both , great pains were taken to make the character look & feel like Godzilla, & to capture the feel of a Godzilla film, & a majority of the fanbase feels that the were successful.
    I'm just pointing out how wrong you were to suggest that the 98 version had "Nothing to do" with the original Godzilla, when in fact it had more to do with the '54 version, the original Godzilla, than the new one did.

You can't argue the fact that the new one takes it's inspiration from the rather silly "Godzilla vs" films rather than the nuclear metaphor that the original Godzilla is. In that regard, the Emmerich one is a more true update than this new one.

United States
    The "other one" , meaning GINO aka G'98 was an ok monster film...but it wasn't a Godzilla film in any way, shape, or form. Hence Godzilla In Name Only. This one, while taking huge liberties, was still much closer to the classic G flicks.
    Perfectly true & no exaggeration. GINO doesn't look like, act like, nor possess any of the qualities of Godzilla= Godzilla In Name Only. The movie itself caprtures none of the style or feel of a Kaiju film. It is very much an American monster movie in all ways= Godzilla Film In Name Only. As a matter of fact, the film follows the pattern of "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms a lot closer than it does any "Godzilla" film.
    You realize, of course, that this very generic list could easily describe dozens of other monster flicks that are NOT Godzilla...?

Sorry, but a Hermaphrodite, tuna eating, non-atomic breath, mutated IGUANA easily dispatched by a couple of missiles in the side is NOT Godzilla. Toho agreed. Which is why they IMMEDIATELY went back into production on their own films, when the the plan had been to turn the reigns over to the Americans & let them continue the series from there on out. Also why they made the G'98 monster a separate creature in "Godzilla:Final Wars", just so they could have the REAL Godzilla lay the smack on him.
    So yeah, GINO has the broadest of generalities in common which could be said of a horde of other monster movies. Just none of the look, feel, heart, soul, or specifics that make "Godzilla" Godzilla. Got it.
    Nothing of any significant substance. You could file the name "Godzilla" right off of that movie, & it wouldn't make a difference.
    I'm just pointing out how wrong you were to suggest that the 98 version had "Nothing to do" with the original Godzilla,
    Who are you quoting? Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I never said that. You're being pedantic just for the sake of continuing an argument lacking in merit or substance. I do not agree. I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 29-Jul-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The "other one" , meaning GINO aka G'98 was an ok monster film...but it wasn't a Godzilla film in any way, shape, or form. Hence Godzilla In Name Only. This one, while taking huge liberties, was still much closer to the classic G flicks.
    I was simply pointing out that it was in fact very much a Godzilla film in plenty ways, shapes or forms.

United States
    I was simply pointing out that it was in fact very much a Godzilla film in plenty ways, shapes or forms.
    Just because they share basic similarities does not make them the same thing, nor mean that they "got it right" when making what would be considered a "real" Godzilla film.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 29-Jul-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just because they share basic similarities does not make them the same thing, nor mean that they "got it right" when making what would be considered a "real" Godzilla film.
    While you are certainly entitled to that opinion, you cannot deny that there's plenty in Godzilla 98' that makes it similar to the original. Again, not talking about the Vs. crap that this new one takes after.

Super Moderator

UK
    Geez, you two are like the Ross & Rachel of HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, and it's not gonna solve anything. But it amuses me.

United States
    While you are certainly entitled to that opinion, you cannot deny that there's plenty in Godzilla 98' that makes it similar to the original. Again, not talking about the Vs. crap that this new one takes after.
    If you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Geez, you two are like the Ross & Rachel of HPOTD.
    Yeah, except all of their arguing at least held the promise of getting laid at the end.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 29-Jul-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Just saw this again today, 1st home viewing on DVD. Enjoyed every bit as much or more, on what is now the 5th viewing. All of the elements really flowed together & were very enjoyable on the home viewing. The action scenes were a lot more visible & easier to follow on a small screen & you could see the MUTO's a lot better. So while the theatrical viewings were great for the "experience", the home wasn't lacking either. So far I've enjoyed it more each time I've seen it
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 26-Oct-2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: .