Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x12 "Still" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That's pretty interesting. I defiantly need to watch again.
    Ok, but why defiantly?

I loved it when Daryl gave Beth shit about singing all the time. I also really thought they'd be heels to Jesus by the end of the episode, or that she'd at least try. Lucky for her that Daryl turns into a complete douchebag when he gets liquor in him.
    Hell, everybody thought he'd get laid, even J. B. Smoove on Talking Dead brought it up...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Ok, but why defiantly?
    My first viewing is always with a group and I always miss minor things from being distracted. I found the episode was boring and it dragged on with no payoff but perhaps I missed the bigger picture. That golf club told a story and it seems I completely missed it. Also, Daryl smashing Walkers with a golf club was gold.

Edit: Defiantly. Yeah, that definitely went over my head. Haha.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 03-Mar-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    I think that maybe with this episode they could have run a smaller story with another group at the same time. I don't think this story really needed the full episode to get the points across. Indeed, it looks like the next episode will be at least two stories - Maggie & Co, and then Daryl/Beth - perhaps those two groups hook up by the end of next week's episode.

TWD 4x12 memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...dead-4x12.html

Realistically they could have waited for morning and then burned it down.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Thank you.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Tibet
    What did he pull out of the frame???? Did anyone else get the sense that there's more to the golf club/'shine shack than Daryl's letting on??
    Last edited by Staredge; 03-Mar-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: .............

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
    What did he pull out of the frame???? Did anyone else get the sense that there's more to the golf club/'shine shack than Daryl's letting on??
    I thought it was a local map.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I thought it was a local map.
    Pull what out of frame? When? Where? Huh?

I think there was some interesting stuff going on in this episode, but I also think they could have gone further with the episode - make their points more efficiently, and find room for other issues to be addressed (the episode could have ended on Beth and Daryl, having burned down the shack, rediscovered their sense of purpose and set out to do something with their time - formulate a plan ... but maybe they're leaving that for 4x13).

I did like that it was dealing directly with their emotions (particularly Daryl, who just shut down entirely), although the framing of 'the search for booze' was a bit clunky ... even a small tweak to reason it out a smidge better would have been welcome, like, "We've lost everything, Hershel's dead, our friends are gone, for all we know it's just us two, so what else are we gonna do? Let's just fucking drink this away!", because at that time you would be feeling like tossing in the towel, and I think the episode would have benefitted by being a touch more upfront about that out of Beth's own frustrations.

The implied narrative of the golf club was superb. Good to see Beth kill a walker in close combat by herself, too. The repeated stabbing of the wine bottle in its face was pretty gnarly as well.

United States
    I'm surprised the way Beth was downing that moonshine she didn't end up poisoned or having the worst hangover you could imagine. She looks about 90 pounds soaking wet.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Pull what out of frame? When? Where? Huh?
    You were too busy pre-captioning in your head, MZ!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I'm surprised the way Beth was downing that moonshine she didn't end up poisoned or having the worst hangover you could imagine. She looks about 90 pounds soaking wet.
    This. Moments like that make me shake my head.:-/
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Scotland
    I was hoping for a better episode, not that I mind a good "swig" of character interplay, it just seemed to meander at times. At least there was a clarification as to why Daryl has been extra pissy with Beth, her being a constant reminder of Hershel.

Someone mentioned that Daryl's demise could be on the cards? It would be interesting to see if AMC would take such a risk? To my knowledge (I could be wrong) he's a popular character with a certain demographic i.e. the female viewers. If he pays his self-imposed "debt" to Beth and dies in the act, it would be a fitting end for Daryl (IMO). Maybe even an opportunity for a homage to the death of Rhodes?
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 03-Mar-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: edit
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Wow, so Beth wants the D, and oddly I actually mean Daryl. A girl just doesn't play truth or dare with moonshine and say "I've never gotten drunk and done something I regretted" unless she's DTF. I thought the country club side trip was kind of pointless. I would like it if they did more scavenging in general though pro shops would be stocked with sweaters, blankets, ponchos etc. You know, it's like "Oh hey, I'll grab this garbage bag and throw a hubcap in it but totally not grab a bag or two from the pro shop and fill them with useful stuff" I really didn't get why daryl was grabbing all the valuables. He seems like the first guy to realize how useless they are post apocalypse. Decent episode overall, I liked the character development but it does seem like they're doing the episode of character development before we kill them thing.

England
    Nothing against Daryl or Norman Reedus but I can't help but think that his presence is getting in the way of other characters development. The ratings are so high that killing him shouldn't have that much effect. I know a lot of people who watch this show and not one of them is a big fan. Male or female.
    It seems to be an Internet thing.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Does anyone know the ratings for last night? I wondered if the Oscars threw it off at all.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Nothing against Daryl or Norman Reedus but I can't help but think that his presence is getting in the way of other characters development. The ratings are so high that killing him shouldn't have that much effect. I know a lot of people who watch this show and not one of them is a big fan. Male or female.
    It seems to be an Internet thing.
    Yeah, I think he's mostly just the guy on the show who isn't a total horror movie trope/cliche, I don't think there is any other character who fairly reliably does the thing that would probably not get himself killed. the character manages to do this without completely being Invincible Captain Awesome too which is nice. I think you're right it is a reflection of the whole internet cliche of people who go on forums and talk about "Well, you know what I'd do..." where people talk about having some basic understanding of hunting/wildnerness skills and the need for violence occasionally even against fellow humans. I think he's also kind of an underdog, he's not the hero, he just does what he feels is the right thing.

I also think that his popularity may be why they kill him off, it's not supposed to be the daryl dixon show, it's supposed to be about rick grimes and his son, no matter how many bizarre, contradictory, poorly thought out and dangerous decisions they make.
    Last edited by zombieparanoia; 03-Mar-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling