Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x12 "Still" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Does anyone know the ratings for last night? I wondered if the Oscars threw it off at all.
    13.1m

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...=17945&page=13
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    Yeah, I think he's mostly just the guy on the show who isn't a total horror movie trope/cliche, I don't think there is any other character who fairly reliably does the thing that would probably not get himself killed. the character manages to do this without completely being Invincible Captain Awesome too which is nice. I think you're right it is a reflection of the whole internet cliche of people who go on forums and talk about "Well, you know what I'd do..." where people talk about having some basic understanding of hunting/wildnerness skills and the need for violence occasionally even against fellow humans. I think he's also kind of an underdog, he's not the hero, he just does what he feels is the right thing.

I also think that his popularity may be why they kill him off, it's not supposed to be the daryl dixon show, it's supposed to be about rick grimes and his son, no matter how many bizarre, contradictory, poorly thought out and dangerous decisions they make.
    I didn't realize that these kinds of issues orbited around the character of Daryl Dixon, then again this is the only forum I view or post on at all, so I suppose it's hardly surprising. Daryl, the online survivalist's icon, or not as the case may be. The mind boggles. I wasn't even sure of the exact source of Daryl's popularity, but the fact that it existed I gleamed from posts on here over the months, whether supportive of the character or not. Personally I like the character.

I agree, Daryl although not the star of the show began to do what he always felt as naturally right, but only once free of Merle. For me though that's what a hero is (doing what you believe to be the right thing in the face of adversity), hence the clash between him and his brother when reunited in season 3, things had changed between them. Although, even Merle's last act was heroic, was he a hero though? Possibly a late bloomer?
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 04-Mar-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: edit
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Bit of a filler episode generally, though.
    I agree... But I still enjoyed it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I agree... But I still enjoyed it...
    Agreed.

I think Daryl was scooping up the bundles of cash to be used as kindling - notice how they lit the shack on fire with a fat wedge of crisp notes.

They could have taken more clothing, although I doubt Daryl would be a fan of such attire - I don't think his attitude would suit pastel coloured polo shirts very well ... it's more Beth's kinda thing, although she can't have nice things, cos they just end up with blood on them within minutes.

Ireland
    Decent episode, but a filler nonetheless. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself.

Without a proper setting, like the farm or the prison, you're going to get these type of episodes.

Either way, There'll be a couple more of these and then the gang will get together again and head off toward some other temporary sanctuary for S5. So I think S4 will fizzle out, rather than end with a bang.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

I think Daryl was scooping up the bundles of cash to be used as kindling...
    Figured the same thing when Beth called him on it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dying

United States
    - First thing I thought when Daryl's arrow was broken was "He ain't making it to Season 5."
    - Beth totally wanted the DDD. The moonshine basically did all the work for Daryl, until he started drinking it himself. Though I doubt that that was what was on his mind.
    - I really enjoyed the opening sequence as well. The amount of zombies outside was intense. Although I kind of wish there was less of the hissing and more moaning. Walking Dead zombies never do the zombie moan, which I always found creepier for some reason than the predator noises. There's a sadness to it. At least when zombies are in the distance, they should be moaning, then when a meal shows up they could revert to the more animalistic gnashing.
    - I like seeing a group of zombies following them through the golf course. Seems like they're almost always being hunted now, which makes the show more tense.
    - Additionally, I thought the character development was pretty good for both characters. Daryl expressing survivors guilt, sexy little Beth becoming rebellious and showcasing greater mental strength than Daryl.

Slow burn of an episode, probably worst of the season, but not a bad episode. The song at the end though....horrible choice. The middle fingers kind of fell flat too, but at least Daryl seemed as off-put by it as the viewers.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone catch the Jesse Pinkman reference? Daryl was telling a story about Merles dealer (Merle, who had Heisenburgs blue meth in his motorcycle drug fun bag in Season 2), some tweaker kid who punched Merle in the face. Then the tweaker held a gun to Daryl's head and said "Time to die, bitch." Completely obvious Breaking Bad reference.

United States
    Like I said before, the foreshadowing is written all over the episode. Either Daryl dies this season or the writers are producing some serious trolling.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    Although I kind of wish there was less of the hissing and more moaning. Walking Dead zombies never do the zombie moan, which I always found creepier for some reason than the predator noises. There's a sadness to it. At least when zombies are in the distance, they should be moaning, then when a meal shows up they could revert to the more animalistic gnashing.
    Same here. I'd love for there to be more 'lost moans' from the walkers when they don't have anything to go after ... as well as near-silence from them in such scenarios too. That'd be creepy as hell, and it'd mix things up audio wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Like I said before, the foreshadowing is written all over the episode. Either Daryl dies this season or the writers are producing some serious trolling.
    It's either foreshadowing, or it's just little things that just express his mental state, rather than act as harbingers of death. It was interesting on Talking Dead when Reedus addressed Beth saying to him that he'd be the "last man standing" - it didn't seem like it was fate-tempting foreshadowing - rather, as Reedus said, it was 'the worst thing that Beth could have said to him' because Daryl is sick of losing people. He's got abandonment issues, and survivor's guilt, so that would be a nightmare scenario for him. It was also interesting that he said, had Beth not been there, Daryl would have probably killed himself eventually, in spite of his natural instinct to survive he might very well have got to a place where he just chose to "cash out".

So yeah, there's lots of interesting subtext and motivational stuff going on in this episode, even if it did feel a bit stretched-thin over the entire episode. I don't mind having an episode be just about two people (I quite liked that aspect), but it didn't feel like there was quite enough going on to fill the entire running time.

Something else I'd really like to see - an episode of TWD that doesn't feature one single solitary zombie. Not one. That'd be really interesting to see, in my view.

Administrator

England
    Didn't quite get the burn the house down in the dark so we attract loads of walkers and have to wander off in the dark completely unprepared... Another example of a we don't really care if we get muched to death moment?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Didn't quite get the burn the house down in the dark so we attract loads of walkers and have to wander off in the dark completely unprepared... Another example of a we don't really care if we get muched to death moment?
    Cant say I can completely justify it as I would prefer walls between me and the walkers. When I reflect on that scene I think they are coming from the perspective of Hershel's speech at the prison, "you risk your life". With the probable loss of their loved ones, I believe the scene is representing Beth and Daryl coming to peace with the new world and their shortened life span. Almost as if they are laughing at whats to come instead of living in constant fear. Another reference with similarity may be Laurie Strode in H2O when, rather than take the escape route, she turns around and decided to face Michael Myers and just get it over with. After all the prison was a great fortified defense against walkers and in the end, it didnt matter. So I dont think it is a "we don't really care" moment but rather, throw your hands in the air and yell, "fuck it".

England
    Just looked at it as a moment of liberation and burying/burning a few ghosts.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Tibet
    I thought a lot of Darryl grabbing the money/jewelry was him not thinking about it being worthless. Think about him pre-apocalypse: what would that bag mean to him??? Grabbing it up is the old Darryl coming through. Using the stack of money to start the fire kind of ties into the whole "what was/what is" shift that the episode focused on. Yet another way to show the growth that he's gone through series/season/episode-wise.

Administrator

England
    Because drunk.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Because drunk.
    Hmmm... I'm sure with the risk of becoming zombie food, I'd still not go that bonkers? But, I'm happy to give it some slack. Maybe they're over confident...
    -Carl Sagan