Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x12 "Still" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 4x12 "Still" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 4x12 "Still" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 412 – Still: “Faced with the day-to-day survival of life outside shelter, a simple request by someone in the group leads to a bizarre but enlightening mission.”

Written by: Angela Kang
    Directed by: Julius Ramsay
    Angela Kang has written several episodes of TWD, including 4x02, 3x05, and 2x11.

Julius Ramsay is new to the TWD directing fold.

Scotland
    Personally I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode based on last week's sneak-peek during the end titles. The Beth and Daryl mini-story appealed to me the most in comparison with the others presented in "Inmates", and it's really all down to Beth.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States
    Personally......I thought it was boring. The "revelation" of what Daryl did prior to the turn was exactly what I had figured anyway, so nothing really startling there. The acting was fine and all, but its not one I'll rewatch on Netflix down the road.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I liked the country Club bit, the internal conflict there would probably be great for the next webisodes.

England
    Meh.
    I understand the characters who haven't really have much screen time have to be fleshed out, but I couldn't give a toss about Beth tbh. We knew enough about Daryl already.
    I found the whole thing a slog to get through.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    The implied 'storm' of Walkers that passed as Daryl and Beth hid in the trunk was cool. The sheer noise level of the passing death outside was cool. Definitely not one of the stronger episodes but I did enjoy seeing the adaptation of survival skills. Without talking anymore, Daryl and Beth grab and scavenge odd items that they have found uses for.

As mentioned above, the Daryl back story revelation was not shocking at all. Had they said he was a High school physics teacher, I would have fell out of bed. But with all the information said by Daryl and closing out his past with the fire, I see his story has come full circle, and his death is closing.

United States
    I agree it was a pretty boring episode; not a bad episode, just one I didn't really care for. The opening scene was great and the snapping of Daryl's arrow has potential to be some serious foreshadowing. Is it his time? All in all, I get why they chose to have a slow episode but this one is gonna need a second viewing to try and sink everything in properly. Beth was also a lil' ehhhhhh; even though she had some interesting bits. "Last man standing", hmmm sounds like more foreshadowing.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Good for some character interaction between Beth and Daryl, but not a particularly important episode really - didn't really move anything forward, and the journey for booze felt awfully silly even with how they tried to justify and contextualise it ... then again, when you believe that you've lost everything (unlike we viewers, who know there's disparate groups out there searching for one another), then you probably would just want to drown your sorrows - but it ain't excited telly.

I did enjoy the implied narrative of the country club - they all got boozed up and threw around a lot of money and probably had orgies ... and maybe some ne'er-do-wells came along and took revenge (the "Rich Bitch" display was pretty grim) ... and the three hanging walkers that have no doubt been there since the earliest weeks (or even days) of the outbreak.

Yeah, not a big revelation about Daryl - I too figured he was just a nobody following around Merle prior to the zombies - although there were some nice glimpses into his past here and there, even if it was really only a bit of extra shading, rather than any new lines.

A good couple of knife kills - they slid in quite slow in a couple of instances, so it felt like there was more pressure being applied by Beth/Daryl, and more resistance to the knife from the walker's heads. I also liked the bit where they spent a night huddled in that car boot - atmospheric and tense - and I liked that Daryl and Beth had a bit of an emotional blow out because now they can move on from that and rediscover their sense of purpose.

Bit of a filler episode generally, though.

Super Moderator

United States
    I thought it was a pretty good episode, but probably the weakest we've seen this season so far.

It had a nice mix of exploration out in the world, some tension and action, which was all good.

It's really feeling like the rest of the season will be one-offs and character building to reset and intro any major story arcs for next season. Not a bad thing, per se.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Opening was fantastic. The same sort of tension that we had with Rick hiding out in a house full of psychos in the last episode.

The episode itself wasn't super awesome, but I still enjoyed it...and I still say season 4 is the best season so far.

Loved the way that Beth's nice clean clothes lasted all of 60 seconds before Darryl scruffed them back up for her A pretty neat touch IMO, "this is how you are going to live for the next several years at least, so get used to it".

Looks like the next episode will be rolling with Maggie's group...

Edit: "Darryl Darts" rocks!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 03-Mar-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I did enjoy the implied narrative of the country club - they all got boozed up and threw around a lot of money and probably had orgies ... and maybe some ne'er-do-wells came along and took revenge (the "Rich Bitch" display was pretty grim) ... and the three hanging walkers that have no doubt been there since the earliest weeks (or even days) of the outbreak.
    It looked like the pool guys, waiters, cooks and other staff turned on the rich folk, I read that the Talking Dead confirmed this.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    It looked like the pool guys, waiters, cooks and other staff turned on the rich folk, I read that the Talking Dead confirmed this.
    Whatever went on in there, it looked grim, you could tell the moment they walked in, and as they moved deeper into the place. Don't think the peoples time there was a happy one somehow!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    That's pretty interesting. I defiantly need to watch again.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

England
    Oh, another observation, Beth did come out of this episode looking mentally stronger than Darryl IMO, I think she was spot on about keeping on going, looking for other survivors etc.

Darryl himself seems to be suffering from some sort of survivors guilt and a real lethargy regarding what they do next. That said, he has done a lot of the "heavy lifting" since hooking up with the group way back at the beginning. That's probably worn him down a bit...same for Rick as well.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 03-Mar-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Yes with Legion on Beth's shirt. Vanity and looking pretty doesn't work anymore. If you wanna live, you're gonna get dirty. The more I reflect on this episode the more I realize the quality story telling and messages. Sure it was slow paced but I enjoy it. To be honest I've seen enough zombie kills for awhile. At times they seem forced like they have convinced themselves they must continue to come up with new ways to destroy the brain. I.e golf club this episode.