Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x13 "Alone" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK
    Something I noticed upon closer inspection was that there was a kind of 'cross' in the rear window of the car that took beth. It almost looked like an inverted cross, but it was pretty close to a "+" ... now, I do recall that in season 2 there was a subplot involving a nutso preacher that got cut out for time and focus reasons, but I wonder if they're somehow bringing that idea back? That might make some sense considering they were at a funeral parlour ... or it could just be the guys who come across Daryl at the fork in the road.

Scotland
    A crazy preacher could be a great plotline, on the surface I'd rather that than the "Hunters" being responsible for Beth's kidnapping, end of the world and all that. Maybe they could aid Daryl in her rescue (but obviously for very different reasons), assuming the preacher is an out and out antagonist.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 11-Mar-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: addition
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States
    Good episode. Did anyone notice if the man that Rick killed in the bathroom was present with Joe and the other bandits? I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl's story is far ahead of the others in timeline.

Bob has become extremely likeable and his dead man walking montage was great. I've known people who would drink cold medicine for a buzz. Loved the little touches. I'm now rooting for Bob and hope he makes it past this season.

I noticed the cross on the car as well, MZ. My first thought of course was

Father Gabriel.

Beth walks into a hunter trap, hmmmm.

Like I mentioned in the precious thread, once again, more foreshadowing as Daryl rest himself inside of that coffin. They are getting a bit too obvious now.

I don't mind music with Lyrics if it fits. My favorite still being "Serpents." However, music every episode? No thanks. I prefer original pieces.

Maggie's stop sign decapitation was great and the fog scene was brilliant; even though I had already scene it multiple times.

So now, with the exception of Daryl and Beth, everyone is on their way to Terminus.

Looking forward to next week as one of my favorites, Tyreese, gets his much needed airtime.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 11-Mar-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl's story is far ahead of the others in timeline.
    Good point!

Tyreese, gets his much needed airtime.
    You mean hammertime?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Hammertime!!!!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    I wonder if Bobs going to end up being...

Gabriel Stokes.

Moderator Note: Added spoiler tags.
    This certainly isn't impossible but I would point out that Bob is actually a character from the the comic series and from the tie-in novels.

Bob's Wikipedia Entry

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Music with lyrics can work but it's very subjective. However Bear Mcreary's "Mercy of the living" is one of the best scores I've ever heard. Something about that really hits home with how I connected to Rick Grimes. I followed season ones development, hoping and praying that it would deliver and it absolutely delivered. I always hear that score in my head when I think of Rick Grimes and it reminds me that he is a good man. I absolutely love it and listen to it on my iPod......and that's coming from a Metalhead \m/!!!!!! My rambling is all over the place here but my point is the scores without lyrics tend to be more memorable.
    I agree, that is a good track. But unfortunately it's literally the ONLY track in Walking Dead that is memorable and doesn't sound like generic orchestra. The Governor had a cool musical cue too, the pulsing synth. Too bad everything else sounds so generic and obvious. The music is my one big disappointment in the series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I do recall that in season 2 there was a subplot involving a nutso preacher that got cut out for time and focus reasons, but I wonder if they're somehow bringing that idea back?
    What subplot are you referencing? Was this just alluded to in cast interviews or something? Never heard of a crazy preacher storyline being cut. If anything, sounds like a yin to the yang of the CDC Season 1 finale.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 11-Mar-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: asdfghjkl

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I noticed the cross on the car as well, MZ. My first thought of course was

Father Gabriel.

Beth walks into a hunter trap, hmmmm.

Like I mentioned in the precious thread, once again, more foreshadowing as Daryl rest himself inside of that coffin. They are getting a bit too obvious now.
    1) RE: the spoiler tag ... yeah, could be ... thematically it might make sense too being that Beth is also from a strongly religious family, and with all her talk of hope etc.

The preview scene in Talking Dead this week was really friggin' creepy.

Theory on that preview scene of next week's episode:

I'm thinking that, yes, Beth has been taken by a preacher of some sort. It didn't look like the sort of house a hunter would occupy - it definitely felt more like a permanent abode, rather than a temporary camp. The music, too, had that old timey shiver-inducing factor to it ... but who's the girl playing tag with a walker? Bloody creepy-looking scene there ... I've got high hopes for it as the episode is written by Gimple.

2) There is a lot of foreshadowing going on, they've maybe overdone it, but is that a bluff on top of a bluff? Either way, it's good to see such a capable character also getting into serious danger - close calls (e.g. in 4x08 - that was excruciatingly close!) and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    What subplot are you referencing? Was this just alluded to in cast interviews or something? Never heard of a crazy preacher storyline being cut. If anything, sounds like a yin to the yang of the CDC Season 1 finale.
    It was glimpsed in the season two deleted scenes (e.g. when Dale, on the farm, sneaks a craft ciggie and turns on the car to use the lighter, but the radio comes on, and there's a voice on the radio - a crazy preacher type ... in the commentary for those scenes, IIRC, Mazzara mentioned that they were going to do a subplot involving a nutty preacher, but I think it got cut out later into the writing process, so the one or two small hints at it earlier on were cut).

Good one for Sasha and Bob, too - the benefit of these episode focusing more closely on much smaller groups is that some of those who are new/newish/not-too-upfront in the main stories, can now get some appropriate air time. Although I still feel, somewhat, that Tyreese has yet to live up to his potential ... we've had much more out of him this season than last, which is excellent (e.g. epic hammer time when they were searching for meds), but I'd like to get to know him deeper ... find out what makes him tick a little more. We've had some good backstory for Michonne and Bob recently, for example.

Then again, poor old Tyreese has got three kids and a pyromaniac to look after ... ain't got time for no damn backstory, hehe, there's shit to be done!

United States
    That my issue with Tyreese. Due to the fact that he was introduced at a later time, he still doesn't feel as an important or strong character as he was portrayed in the books. Hell, him and Rick have barely interacted up until this point.

Here's hoping "The Grove" finally elevates him to his proper status.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 11-Mar-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Durp

England
    A great episode that left me eager to find out what happens next week...

Highlights: - I thought Maggie showed great initiative leaving notes in blood for Glen. Bob nearly getting bit was ace too... though how walkers can bite through denim trousers but not get through a bandage is a bit questionable. I guess Bob got lucky

The undertakers was just oddball creepy. I mean Darryl must be old enough to be Beth's father... when they started the alternate head shots in tighter focus I felt like puking.

I liked how they started and finished the episode with a lone character joining another group & the contrast between the two encounters.

Thanks for the moderator spoiler tags - for those of us who haven't seen the comics, it's appreciated.

PS: Largely the music on TWD has been ok - though (for me) farmer Rick listening to The Stanley Brothers ("Precious Memories") has to be the neatest. I'd love to hear the Dead Kennedy's "Dead End" at some point....

Super Moderator

UK
    On the Beth/Daryl age gap.

Well, by now, Beth must be 19 (she was 17 in season 2, probably coming up to 18), and I don't know if Daryl has ever been given an age, but I'd imagine they've got him somewhere in his mid-to-late-30s ... so there is quite an age gap, but at the same time they're both legal, and Daryl is in many respects much younger in mind than in body.

Reedus is 45 (but looks younger) while Kinney is 27/28 (and likewise looks younger) ... so about 18 years between them, and it's probably something similar with their character ages. Unusual, yes, but not illegal, and like I said, Daryl's emotional age is far younger than his physical age (although how old Daryl actually is is something we don't really know, I don't think) ... plus, it's the apocalypse. Maybe it's more like a crush.

I liked the bit where Daryl was just sat at the fork in the road - totally alone - just as Beth said would happen eventually, the worst thing that could happen to him.

So the thug who Rick killed in the bathroom was part of the gang that picked up Daryl? I didn't notice that, I'll have to go back and look if that's indeed the case ... the timeframe of these episoes is a little unsure ... but, even though the script was unclear about time, when we next saw Rick talking with Michonne in the kitchen (when she was going on about having found a nice clean new shirt) his wounds were significantly better. I think it was the line about him being 'passed out' all day the previous day that confused matters as that suggested hardly any time had passed (in spite of his far more healed-up look), and if he's on-the-mend, then why would he have spent a whole day passed out?

That is a frustration for me with this show - the definition of passing time between and during episodes. It's difficult to do, I guess, when you've got multiple groups to look at, so you're no doubt jumping backwards and then forward again in time with each group ... so yeah, maybe the 'under the bed' episode was a good couple of weeks after the fall of the prison. They certainly looked quite at home before they were invaded.

England
    Age doesn't really matter in this world, it's not like Beth and Darryl could settle down and after a few years, Beth wants to start going to night clubs or have a career while Darryl is more content to work late at the office or play golf with his buddies or anything.

Relationships would be rendered far more basic and old fashioned in PA society. Especially when your life could end any day soon.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Dying

United States
    1)

It was glimpsed in the season two deleted scenes (e.g. when Dale, on the farm, sneaks a craft ciggie and turns on the car to use the lighter, but the radio comes on, and there's a voice on the radio - a crazy preacher type ... in the commentary for those scenes, IIRC, Mazzara mentioned that they were going to do a subplot involving a nutty preacher, but I think it got cut out later into the writing process, so the one or two small hints at it earlier on were cut).

Ah, ok, I actually do remember that scene. Didn't realize it was going to be the basis of an entire subplot, kind of an interesting concept.

I noticed the cross right away too. Someone earlier mentioned they think Bob might be Father Gabriel, which would make sense given his wandering around, losing two groups (maybe one group was his 'flock') and having faith restored post-prison. But I'm starting to think maybe they're relatives? Father Gabriel's last name is Stokes, Bob's is Stookey, right? Pretty close.

Scotland
    So the thug who Rick killed in the bathroom was part of the gang that picked up Daryl?
    I didn't recognize the bandit from the bathroom, but the gang leader who Daryl slugs is revealed in the earlier episode while standing on the porch, just prior to the "exploding walker bomb".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Age doesn't really matter in this world, it's not like Beth and Darryl could settle down and after a few years, Beth wants to start going to night clubs or have a career while Darryl is more content to work late at the office or play golf with his buddies or anything.

Relationships would be rendered far more basic and old fashioned in PA society. Especially when your life could end any day soon.
    Agreed. IMO the age of consent so to speak would drop rapidly the longer the ZA progressed, for many reasons. No enforcement of prior ZA laws, less judgement from peers based on extinct cultural considerations, the instinctual drive for the survival of the species etc.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    I didn't recognize the bandit from the bathroom, but the gang leader who Daryl slugs is revealed in the earlier episode while standing on the porch, just prior to the "exploding walker bomb".

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. IMO the age of consent so to speak would drop rapidly the longer the ZA progressed, for many reasons. No enforcement of prior ZA laws, less judgement from peers based on extinct cultural considerations, the instinctual drive for the survival of the species etc.
    1) Oh, I thought it was said that the bathroom guy was in that group? Not that I noticed either way, and they never mentioned such a thing on Talking Dead, so ... well, anyway, yeah, I knew it was the same gang from Rick's temporary house. There was no way they'd just leave those guys to a single episode.

2) It'd be a gradual thing. I think age gaps wouldn't be so much of an issue, but I still think the age of consent would continue for a good generation or two at least. It might be watered down slightly in the PA world, but I think that's a pre-apoc code of conduct that most people would be glad to keep around. However, yeah, there would be instances of 'borderline fiddlers' indulging themselves ... yeuch.

The Governor is one kind of evil ... but these roaming packs of thugs are an entirely different kind of evil ... might you say worse?