Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x13 "Alone" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I thought this was one of the better episodes in a while. The intro with Bob was spot on for portraying the loneliness of being someone who "just keeps surviving". I really liked how they had him being smart about where he sheltered and slept, i think they're starting to do that with eeryone more, less just sleeping out in the open. I thought the daryl and beth parts were really good. I didn't really get why it took so long to catch up to maggie or later, bob, when maggie was in the lead she had maybe a few hours on them, bob should have barely been ahead of them. I did like how bob was basically happy because he wasn't alone, post zombie apocalypse, I'm sure you really do appreciate the little things.

Not sure about daryl joining up with this new group, I hope it's not long term or a "daryl goes bad" because he thinks he lost beth forever.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) Oh, I thought it was said that the bathroom guy was in that group?
    Wouldn't it be funny if...

Silly unrealistic guess:-

Daryl was in Rick's house downstairs!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny if...

Silly unrealistic guess:-

Daryl was in Rick's house downstairs!!!
    My roommate and I discussed that point. Good to know we're not the only ones who thought of that.

As far as coupling goes, I think the age of 18 goes out the window after "The Turn". Basically, any female of child-bearing age would be considered fair game; much the way its always been until more recent times.

United States
    bob's character and his attitude are growing on me, which is good since i cannot stand over half of the characters on the show anymore. speaking of which:

anyone else totally bewildered by the way the ultimate ZA badass darryl motherfuckin dixon nonchalantly opens the door thinking the dog was outside again? you can clearly see walkers' faces just outside the door if you take even the quickest glance between those boards....

the writers on this show really need to step their game up and stop making the characters unlikeable by having them doing moronic things and making completely out-of-character decisions just to build tension. all it would have taken is about a ten second clip of the dog being on the porch, darryl attempting to get it to approach him, then the dog could have taken off around the corner of the house and boom! convenient walker attack. or a quick bark, scratching at the door, and they open to the door to see the dog is being attacked and cornered on the porch, then the walkers turn on darryl and beth....either way, that jump-scare/instant tension bit just reeked of shitty writing that could've been handled much better without altering things too much.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 12-Mar-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    My roommate and I discussed that point. Good to know we're not the only ones who thought of that.
    You weren't. It crossed my mind too.

Wasn't there a lot of screaming going on downstairs when the bandits first came into "Ricks house" ? I seem to recall the sounds of someone getting done over.

Maybe they were stringing Daryl along and decided to bust him up in the kitchen.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Wasn't there a lot of screaming going on downstairs when the bandits first came into "Ricks house" ? I seem to recall the sounds of someone getting done over.

Maybe they were stringing Daryl along and decided to bust him up in the kitchen.
    I was under the impression that they were being obnoxious/roughing each other up. Typical uncouth behavior when you enter someone's home.

United States
    I loved how they ended the episode the same way it started. A lone survivor getting discovered and picked up by another group; even though the circumstances are totally different. A nice touch.

Edit: I'm calling it now, the person who kidnapped Beth will be...

Newcomer Gareth. A cannibalistic Pastor who just happens to be the leader of The Hunters. The Sanctuary is a trap!

Sounds crazy I know.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 13-Mar-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added theory
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    bob's character and his attitude are growing on me, which is good since i cannot stand over half of the characters on the show anymore. speaking of which:

anyone else totally bewildered by the way the ultimate ZA badass darryl motherfuckin dixon nonchalantly opens the door thinking the dog was outside again? you can clearly see walkers' faces just outside the door if you take even the quickest glance between those boards....

the writers on this show really need to step their game up and stop making the characters unlikeable by having them doing moronic things and making completely out-of-character decisions just to build tension. all it would have taken is about a ten second clip of the dog being on the porch, darryl attempting to get it to approach him, then the dog could have taken off around the corner of the house and boom! convenient walker attack. or a quick bark, scratching at the door, and they open to the door to see the dog is being attacked and cornered on the porch, then the walkers turn on darryl and beth....either way, that jump-scare/instant tension bit just reeked of shitty writing that could've been handled much better without altering things too much.
    I agree with you. I understand complacency happens but it's over the top when Daryl friggin Dixon can uncharacteristiclly open a door without looking. Even worse the walkers outside were standing by silent and idol but prepared to jump a person that opens a door. The writers do some lazy ass shit from time to time.

United States
    ^

didn't really notice how quiet they were, compared to their usual annoying, gnashing, hissing, snarling selves, which is a major pet peeve of mine on this show. kinda funny how they weren't making a sound, given how they are almost always depicted as being loud and non-stop with their noise-making.

being a writer on TWD must be an easy-as-piss job....
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 13-Mar-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: .

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    With the "daryl casually opens door" scene, i also didn't understand how he got separated from beth. He opened the door, zombies come in, why didn't he back straight up the way he approached the door from?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    With the "daryl casually opens door" scene, i also didn't understand how he got separated from beth. He opened the door, zombies come in, why didn't he back straight up the way he approached the door from?
    I think he basically wanted her to be safe/escape while he distracted them/killed them?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Neil is right. That was the line of thought there. Also, she was kidnapped? I thought she drove off... Wasn't really clear to me. But then, I'm slow, so...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Neil is right. That was the line of thought there. Also, she was kidnapped? I thought she drove off... Wasn't really clear to me. But then, I'm slow, so...
    She was kidnapped - where did that car come from otherwise, and why wouldn't she wait for Daryl?

Daryl's gonna have to use his particular set of skills ... shit's on!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Apparently someone's transcribed the dialogue from the closed captions and there is mention of a bowman. The dialogue alludes to them beating the guy up because he's done something wrong. If it's true, I'm taking it as another guy with a bow hence the conversation with Daryl on the road.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 16-Mar-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: bk
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    I didn't spot that the gang who picked up Darryl were the same bunch that interrupted Rick's nap a couple of episodes back.... A good call!

Re-watching this episode, the guy next to Joe looks from his bandana to be the same dude who passed out when Rick was under the bed - so the gang had picked up Darryl before they encountered the house / Rick.

If Darryl was at the house, he would have recognised the shirt Michone had washed, if he'd seen it - and the commotion downstairs refers to the womans shirt in the wash.... I also thought I glimpsed him go up the stairs when Rick was going room to room (prior to the toilet encounter)... but I think this was the guy with the bow & arrow.

Question is - Did Rick inadverently kill Darryl by setting the soon to be walker in the bathroom loose in the house?

Time will no doubt tell...

PS: Are the Walkers getting louder this season? Too loud I think - and yes despite having the tin can walker alarm system in place those sneaky zombies on the porch were as quiet as church mice.