Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x13 "Alone" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 4x13 "Alone" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 4x13 "Alone" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 413 – Alone: ”As one group finds what may be an ideal shelter, another group comes to realize that the best protection comes from those around them.”

Written by: Curtis Gwinn
    Directed by: Ernest Dickerson
    Curtis Gwinn has previously written episode 4x07, and Ernest Dickerson has been a frequent TWD director, giving us these episodes: 4x08, 3x16, 3x01, 2x13, 2x10, 2x02, and 1x05.

United States
    I like Bob.

England
    Strong episode, felt like it was an hour long, not because it dragged, but because it had so much going on in it, lots of great stuff indeed!

Point one, totally agree with facestabber, Bob has really become a solid character, loved the little flashback to his meeting Darryl & Glenn and how he was living. Really pleased he got lucky with the walker bite as well...and a booze free Bob is a Bob you can trust! This guy seems to have conqoured his demons totally now, and can become a really good character in this show.

More Darryl and Beth gooiness, but I will let it go, because I like them both (Beth totally kidnapped by creepy morgue dude, wonder where he is shacked up?)

Darryl's battle in the morgue was very well done, using the gurney things to get some space between himself and the mini horde, really enjoyed it, as I enjoyed the fog battle in the woods with Maggie's group. I know it's only down to the writing, but it shows that people with the ability to think, improvise and act fast in this word will always have a chance of survival.

Darryl linking up with those psycho guys has potential legs, our people will have a man on the inside if the groups ever come to blows (and you know Darryl will always side with team Rick now). Their leader seems quite the charismatic charmer...where have we seen that before?

Cracking episode all around for my money, really, really enjoyed this one...only 3 left for this season though. I expect if we get to see Terminus, it will only be in the last episode of S4 (the greatest season of TWD so far).
    Last edited by Legion2213; 10-Mar-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I wonder if Bobs going to end up being...

Gabriel Stokes.

Moderator Note: Added spoiler tags.

England
    Much, much better than last week.
    That funeral home was clearly a trap and Beth and Daryl's lack of caution was extremely irritating to me. Maybe Beths naivety seems to be rubbing off on Daryl cause they sure are making some stupid decisions.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd say Beth was kidnapped by those bad dudes who are probably the...

*cough* Hunters *cough*

It would make sense. Daryl reaches that fork in the road and hangs out, and then those guys just so happen to turn up? Hopefully Beth is okay, I quite like her character, and the Beth/Daryl dynamic worked better in this episode ... typical Daryl luck, though - confirm he's got a crush on Beth and then he's immediately cockblocked by a walker fest.

Plenty going on in this episode and I agree with Legion, it felt long in a good way. I was surprised I was only half-way through when I checked the time, so much had been going on. Even though we didn't really discover any new information in the opening montage, it was very good from a thematic stand point, and it's good to get a better look into his character.

The fog assault and the funeral home attack were both pretty damn tense.

Road sign as a weapon? Hell yeah!

Three episodes left?! Cor blimey! Yeah, "Terminus" will be like a last minute reveal at the end of the season - blates.

Super Moderator

United States
    Very enjoyable episode for me. Good characterization, decent action & decent tension. The Daryl/Beth moments were much more enjoyable and seemed less forced this episode and the Bob/Sasha/ Maggie trio seemed to have a nice dynamic and it's great to see the Maggie character interact meaningfully with newer additions to the cast.

I agree that Bob had a very strong episode and comes across as a guy who is doing his best to get along, stay sane and stay true to some level of humanity...the best part is knowing that he has a very hard time doing this all.

My one negative note is that, and I've said this before & saw it harped on a bit by others last episode, they really need to stop using music with lyrics. For whatever reason, it rarely comes off as anything, but cheesy or hoaky when they try. This season hasn't been as bad as others; there has been some really bad faux-country/countryesque music from previous seasons.

Other than that, I don't mind Beth's singing, which is not what I'm talking about above.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dying

United States
    I thought it was an awesome episode. Every episode this season seems to have a new "zombie moment" where they try to execute something in a fresh way for the zombie genre. Not saying the zombie mist scene hasn't been done in horror before, but it felt fresh, just like the trunk scene last week. Also really enjoyed the funeral gurney technique for taking out zombies. They're toying with Daryl in ways that actually trick me into thinking he might die. The broken arrow, lying in the coffin....seems like they're over-foreshadowing is death, to the point it wouldn't be as surprising if he did die. Truth be told, when it showed him post-kidnapping, I actually thought in my head "This is even worse than dying for Daryl...now he's stuck alone." Cool he's stuck with the Hunters, pretty sure he did the punch to the face to show the new group he's antagonistic in nature.

They're setting a lot of stuff up, hope everything delivers. People are getting bored, but that happens literally every season with every show ever. Hipster mindsets are prevalent in an apathetic society.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    I wonder if Bobs going to end up being...

Gabriel Stokes.

Moderator Note: Added spoiler tags.
    That would make perfect sense, actually. Good call.

United States
    Very good episode, much better than last week.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    The music in this episode worked for me - last week, though? Nope, not at all ... this week it did work. You definitely need musical accompaniment for a montage, and I'd say the lyrics fill the gap in missing dialogue from purely visual moments. Of course, the song has to work, and music is subjective, so there are some songs that just don't work for some people, but for others the track is perfect. Such is life.

I loved it when Maggie was taking names with that parking sign - awesome improvised weapon.

TWD 4x13 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...x13-memes.html

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You definitely need musical accompaniment for a montage, and I'd say the lyrics fill the gap in missing dialogue from purely visual moments.
    If acting and cinematography need gap filling in such a way that lyrics are necessary then it sounds like a piss poor product. Though lyrical pieces can certainly work in film and tv (sometimes to brilliant effect), they are hardly necessary constituent components in and of themselves and their inclusion really opens up the risk factor on that personal taste aspect you mentioned.

There have been lyrical choices in TWD that have seemed to me better than others, but they don't generally tend to add much in my perspective. Either way, they're certainly not necessary.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Not saying they're "necessary", just speaking more generally about their function or intention. I think it depends on the sequence, sometimes you can have quite a clear montage or (essentially) purely visual moment (e.g. 'the mercy of the living' sequence in 1x01 where it was just the beautiful score) ... with other montages they're spread out over a longer period of time and they're more ethereal from a character stand point, seeing them go through changes as they wander the landscape, their emotions and mental state shifting and such, so lyrics can work very well.

A song choice I hated though was in season 3 when it's revealed that Andrea is tied up in that chair (the camera moves into the building and through corridors) ... that song didn't fit at all. Whatsoever. Hated that needle drop.

On the other hand, in 4x06, the Governor's return was accompanied well by "The Last Pale Light in the West".

I didn't fancy the song last week, but this week's song worked ... although yes, we don't need too much of that, and it would be nice to have a really nice bit of score in some of those kind of moments, but again it has to be something that fits (go back to what I was saying about defined moments versus ethereal montages).

Scotland
    Another good episode in what's surely the strongest season of TWD so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Not saying they're "necessary", just speaking more generally about their function or intention. I think it depends on the sequence, sometimes you can have quite a clear montage or (essentially) purely visual moment (e.g. 'the mercy of the living' sequence in 1x01 where it was just the beautiful score) ... with other montages they're spread out over a longer period of time and they're more ethereal from a character stand point, seeing them go through changes as they wander the landscape, their emotions and mental state shifting and such, so lyrics can work very well.
    I agree, the accompaniment of "Civilian" by Wye Oak in the closing scene of "18 Miles Out" really drove home Shane's inner emotional state, kind of a musical/lyrical soliloquay. IMO a great example of music adding something to the mix. But yeah, last week's selection was way off the mark. It's a tough task to get right and even then, like you say MZ it's rather subjective, but when it works, IT WORKS!
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 10-Mar-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: addition
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States
    Music with lyrics can work but it's very subjective. However Bear Mcreary's "Mercy of the living" is one of the best scores I've ever heard. Something about that really hits home with how I connected to Rick Grimes. I followed season ones development, hoping and praying that it would deliver and it absolutely delivered. I always hear that score in my head when I think of Rick Grimes and it reminds me that he is a good man. I absolutely love it and listen to it on my iPod......and that's coming from a Metalhead \m/!!!!!! My rambling is all over the place here but my point is the scores without lyrics tend to be more memorable.

Administrator

England
    Well, I really liked that episode. Plenty going on, and it was great flicking backwards and forwards between the groups.

Not entirely sold on the idea of Maggie just happening to be lying in the exact car park next to that exact building... But OK...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan