Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x14 "The Grove" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 4x14 "The Grove" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 4x14 "The Grove" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 414 – The Grove: ”As one group finds what may be an ideal shelter, another group comes to realize that the best protection comes from those around them.”

Written by: Scott M. Gimple
    Directed by: Michael Satrazemis
    We're all well aware of who Gimple is and his writing, so this should hopefully be another good one, and Satrazemis seems to be another new entry into the TWD directing fold.

England
    15 & 16 are being directed by David Goyer and Michelle MacLaren respectively so it looks like they are saving the quality to the end.
    Lots of 1st time directors this year and as long as they pair them up with a decent, proven writer, I don't mind.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 15-Mar-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: blah
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    15 & 16 are being directed by David Goyer and Michelle MacLaren respectively so it looks like they are saving the quality to the end.
    Lots of 1st time directors this year and as long as they pair them up with a decent, proven writer, I don't mind.
    Interestingly, the director of 4x12 (the episode all about Daryl and Beth) has previously been an editor on the show. The episode itself left something to be desired (mostly down to the script, which felt too low on content, and lacking the same level of quality the rest of the season has provided), but it was interesting that he edited together all the Daryl & Beth scenes from the show so-far to get an 'exclusively D&B view on the show'.

Good to have Michelle McLaren coming back into the fold too, after she was too busy working on wrapping-up Breaking Bad with Gilligan & Co.

Super Moderator

United States
    Major Carol episode in the offing, that means a feisty Andy post is inbound.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dying

United States
    I've been waiting for that moment since they first introduced those two little girls. EVERYONE who read the comics...
    Comics Spoilers:

knew they were gonna be Ben and Billy tie-ins. Strange how this happened to Tyreese and Carol, who were both dead by this point in the comic, whereas in the comic it was Andrea and Dale, who are both dead at this point in the show.

Seriously though, as far back as the Comic Con trailer for the first half of Season 4, I knew that "creepy little blonde girl" was gonna disembowel someone. It was almost too obvious.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Mar-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Comic book spoilers tagged.

United States
    *Sad sigh* Probably had to see it coming, still didn't make it easier to take. Powerful episode. In a lot of ways it took on a more powerful resolution & connotations than it did in the comic TBH, because of the persons involved & the way it was handled, the depth of the story arc, etc.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-Mar-2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Look at the flowers...:(

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Good episode, I'm pretty satisfied with how they tied up all of those loose ends. The smoking zombies were pretty cool, too.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Maybe its just because I spent the day with my two nieces, but I got really emotional towards the end of the episode. It was tough to sit thru (not in a bad way, but emotionally).

Wow.

United States
    "Just look at the flowers, Hun."

As much as Lizzie needed to go, that scene was really emotional; just knowing what's coming and the girl being totally oblivious. Good stuff, man.

The look on Tyreese's face when they discovered Mika's dead body. Powerful.
    The Walking Dead takes no prisoners and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Great episode.

Just two more to go...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    yes, that was a much better episode than many of the recent ones. having read the comics, i had a strong hunch about the way things went down. kudos to amc for having the balls to have carol shoot that creepy little bitch. i was a bit perplexed as to why they would leave lizzie unsupervised, given that they'd been catching whiffs of just how rotten and fucked in the head she was. oh well, i'm satisfied with the end result, which is her death.

2 less crappy child actors on the show now....if they would only kill carl off, this season would be the best one yet.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    2 less crappy child actors on the show now....if they would only kill carl off, this season would be the best one yet.
    Not quite sure why people react to children actors like this. Bit strange if you ask me. These two have been quite good imho and you have to factor in the fact that child actors have very little life experience to draw on for their performance, especially at tv level.

Pretty good episode but telegraphed as usual with the "previously on" and knowledge of the comic doesn't help. I really wanted it to play out like it does in the comic.
    Really missing Rick and Carl at this point which is a good sign for how the characters are being developed.
    We need more Abraham and co.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    Yeh, I thought the two kids did a good job myself. The girl playing Lizzie especially. That's not an easy role, even for an adult.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Actually, I found the acting excellent all the way around this episode.

At times the kids may have seemed slightly stilted...just like all kids, who are still trying to figure out how to react to real world occurrences in a way that reconciles their emotional needs with the expectations of adults and peers...seem to do in real life.

Seriously, they did an excellent job!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I'll agree that the episode featured some fine acting all around; the kids did a great job too.

The only thing that "bothered" me about the episode was the fire they saw off in the distance. I think it's safe to assume it was from the hobo shack Daryl and Beth lit up, but the smoke seemed awfully....contained I guess it the word I'm looking for. Seems to me that should have been a full out forest fire. Seeing the burned up zombies, seemingly walking ahead of the fire seemed to support that, but then the fire just puts itself out later on? It's probably just me, but it seemed kind of weird. Also, the sighting of the fire is a cool way to illustrate how (reasonably) close everyone is to each other. It feels like each group is only just over the horizon point from the next group. So close yet so far...