Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't anyone want to see.......

United States

Doesn't anyone want to see.......

An important death lets say Rick, Daryl , Glenn etc die an abrupt death with no explanation?

For example when in The Departed Leo Dicaprio gets blasted in the head getting out of the elevator and poof an extremely important lead gone in a flash, very stunning end to his life. Now of course there was an explanation to his death because it's a two hour movie with a plot. But let's take Daryl or Glenn, maybe one of them all of a sudden gets tackled by a walker when we least expect it and just dies. No buildup, no moving music or anything like that, just maybe the characters discussing afterwards amongst themselves and reflecting and mourning on an old friend who's now gone, and really no time to do that, just keep moving on.

To me, in an apocalyptic world, there would be no doubt unpredictable surprises and deaths along the way with no time to build tension for an audience. I guess what I'm saying it would be really cool if the writers shocked us once in awhile while maybe not writing the death with the audience in mind. That would throw me off really well.

Also, would love if one of the groups would die or never find everyone else and just ended up on their own and we had two story lines going or we just never see that group again like the Morales family from season 1. Always keeping us wondering what ever happened to them. If you ask me we should never see Beth ever again, I love her character but the way she was kidnapped....she's a goner. Either she's being repeatedly raped, cannibalized or whatever, but in this vast land where know one knows where anyone is, no cell phones, no radio or television it would be impossible to find her healthy and happy and alive. I want her disappearance a mystery for the rest of the show.

I love what they did with Morgan, in this world he went nuts, didn't want to search for salvation anymore, and he's gone. Although I love his character, I like that we will never see him again, or I should say we should never see him again for the good of the show's integrity. In this world that's what happens to some people and it adds to the apocalyptic realism for me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'd definitely want to see if happen with Daryl. He needs to go soon.

But Rick has a while to go. He's going to die before the end of the series, just not quite yet.

United States
    You copied and pasted my mind. With the exception of Rick dying. The show started with him and I wanna see the show through with his story. From hospital bed to whatever they decide. Morales and Morgan situations, I completely agree. In fact with the talk of a spin off show maybe this break in the group is for exactly that.

You hit on something good here though. We dont need a half hour build up of each characters death. Sometimes we just need shit to happen to keep things real to a zombie apocalypse. Good thread man

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    In fact with the talk of a spin off show maybe this break in the group is for exactly that.
    I won't go too far in fear of spoilers, but the split isn't meant for that.

Super Moderator

United States
    I'll reiterate my second season frothiness: Daryl must die for this show to have a full set of balls again.

This season has been great and I like the character, but come on...he's just too much.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'll reiterate my second season frothiness: Daryl must die for this show to have a full set of balls again.

This season has been great and I like the character, but come on...he's just too much.
    Agreed. Daryl has become a TV-only character that everyone seems to love. I like the character too, but to keep the surprise alive, they need to kill him.

Ireland
    As far as I'm concerned there's already been a number of important deaths in the show. A lot of things can be leveled at 'The Walking Dead', but being afraid to kill off characters isn't one of them.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    As far as I'm concerned there's already been a number of important deaths in the show. A lot of things can be leveled at 'The Walking Dead', but being afraid to kill off characters isn't one of them.
    Queue entry of Andy and talk of Carol
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    It'd be a shame to knock off Carol at the moment. Her story and how she's got to where she is now has been great.

To me, Carol is one of the most important characters in the series as she illustrates perfectly (more so than anyone else) the extreme loss that would inevitably occur to most people and strength an everyday, average, person would need to muster in order to survive in the world as depicted.

But then again, her senseless death would be a brilliant end to her tragic existence.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    You responded but you didn't read the post.

It's being afraid of killing off main characters that we are discussing, it's the way I want to see some of them go.

Super Moderator

UK
    It would only work in a context that'd make sense.

Comic Spoiler:

For example: Abraham's death in the comics. Out of nowhere he's cut off mid-sentence and he was a major character.

However, just chucked in at-random, in a context that doesn't really make sense, it'd just be a slap in the face for fans of the character. There has to be a narrative purpose behind killing someone off, even if it was to be engineered in a way that made the death sudden.

Axel was killed off suddenly mid-sentence before we could get enough time with the character and, while it was a shock moment, I was simultaneously pissed off that we didn't get more time with his character. I felt they'd underwritten him and not done enough with him, so it felt, partly, like he was just being thrown away.

In terms of a death happening off-screen, or someone just vanishing from the world, again it'd have to be in a context that'd make sense for such a thing to happen. There'd have to be a good enough reason that characters couldn't go searching for them, but ultimately I think most viewers - the vast majority - would feel decidedly cheated if an important character, perhaps even their favourite character, was just there one minute and gone the next and that was that, no rhyme nor reason.

If it made strict narrative and thematic sense, in a very particular set of circumstances, then it could potentially work, but otherwise it'd just be, for a writer, cutting yourself off at the knees.

I don't get some folks' passion for wanting Daryl to be killed off ASAP, as I rather like the character and find him interesting and well-suited to the zombie apocalypse world. However, thinking about it, there is a place where it could happen:

MAJOR Comic Spoiler (Issue #100):

In Issue 100 Glenn is killed at random by Negan. It didn't matter to Negan who he killed, he picked Glenn at random, and it was such a horrific and anger-inducing death that the war and hatred against Negan was entirely justified in one fell swoop.

That said, it inspired a lot of ire in the fanbase and some people were majorly pissed off about it, so there'd be a hell storm of shit if Daryl was snuffed out in that manner.

Perhaps less controversially than that, they could kill him off during the war against Negan ... which I'm only half-way through at the moment (I keep up with the Trade Paperbacks, so I've only seen half of said war), so don't spoil anything beyond issue #120 for me!

He could die for a good cause, but he could also go down in a quick and stunning manner (e.g. a sniper).

Considering the wide appeal of Daryl (not just to the uber-fangirls) it's a tricky decision for the show makers. How do they handle that? When do they handle it? There's certainly been a lot of foreshadowing going on - I don't believe he'll be killed off yet, but he has had some properly close calls of late, so it's good that they're doing a little preparatory ground work. It's undeniable that Daryl is a huge part of the show - like it or lump it - and you don't want to scupper an entire show (e.g. losing a big chunk of viewers because of killing him off, and then having your budget cut as a result). Everybody loses in that instance.

In the case of Daryl, eventually he'll suffer the fate that most characters endure, but it'll have to be done in a way that's satisfying enough for his most hardcore followers. A viewer is a viewer is a viewer, and they all deserve respect.

However, at the same time, when all is said and done, The Walking Dead is ultimately a story about a father raising a son on his own in a horrendous environment. There always has to be a constant through-line for an ever-evolving narrative to carry everyone through. Killing off someone like Rick, particularly Rick, would be a gimmick and nothing more.

The only time when it was truly make sense to kill of Rick would be at the very end of the show/comic. The long journey has come to an end, he's shepherded Carl into adulthood and self-sufficiency, and the entire story reaches a cathartic conclusion with Rick's eyes closing. A black screen lingers. A single gun shot. Credits. No music. End of an era.

There's a long way to go before then though, if that's how it was to go.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't get some folks' passion for wanting Daryl to be killed off ASAP...
    He's been around since the first season and he's gotten some great character treatment and a metric ton of fan service.

Off the top of my head we have...
    --Ragdolling a zombie as if he were a well-practiced SAS man, then commando rolling into covering himself with a dead body without a second thought or moment's hesitation.

--Computer precision auto-shotting zeds with his crossbow...guaranteed to never miss unless the plot demands it.

--Nonchalant knife toss in his tête-à-tête with Martinez.

--Showdown against a legion of high caliber toting troops at the prison...with super flimsy cover.

--White men can jump grenade in the tank barrel.

--Always getting away by the skin of his teeth with that characteristic Dixon backwoods gumption.

Adding that Bieberesque hair to his heavy handededly enforced rule of cool status and his outlandish plot armor and I don't see why so many people don't want the character treated with the respect of giving him a thematically and genre appropriate death.

It can be fun to watch, but it also gets old and played out after a while. He makes Michonne come across as a pretty reasonable character, though That said, he just smells too safe and I hope to see that end.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Add me to the list of "Daryl must go". His presence is clearly getting in the way of the development of other characters. Tyrese is a shadow of his character from the comic and I fear the same will happen with Abraham.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't get some folks' passion for wanting Daryl to be killed off ASAP, as I rather like the character and find him interesting and well-suited to the zombie apocalypse world. However, thinking about it, there is a place where it could happen:

MAJOR Comic Spoiler (Issue #100):

In Issue 100 Glenn is killed at random by Negan. It didn't matter to Negan who he killed, he picked Glenn at random, and it was such a horrific and anger-inducing death that the war and hatred against Negan was entirely justified in one fell swoop.

That said, it inspired a lot of ire in the fanbase and some people were majorly pissed off about it, so there'd be a hell storm of shit if Daryl was snuffed out in that manner.

Perhaps less controversially than that, they could kill him off during the war against Negan ... which I'm only half-way through at the moment (I keep up with the Trade Paperbacks, so I've only seen half of said war), so don't spoil anything beyond issue #120 for me!

He could die for a good cause, but he could also go down in a quick and stunning manner (e.g. a sniper).

Considering the wide appeal of Daryl (not just to the uber-fangirls) it's a tricky decision for the show makers. How do they handle that? When do they handle it? There's certainly been a lot of foreshadowing going on - I don't believe he'll be killed off yet, but he has had some properly close calls of late, so it's good that they're doing a little preparatory ground work. It's undeniable that Daryl is a huge part of the show - like it or lump it - and you don't want to scupper an entire show (e.g. losing a big chunk of viewers because of killing him off, and then having your budget cut as a result). Everybody loses in that instance.

In the case of Daryl, eventually he'll suffer the fate that most characters endure, but it'll have to be done in a way that's satisfying enough for his most hardcore followers. A viewer is a viewer is a viewer, and they all deserve respect.

However, at the same time, when all is said and done, The Walking Dead is ultimately a story about a father raising a son on his own in a horrendous environment. There always has to be a constant through-line for an ever-evolving narrative to carry everyone through. Killing off someone like Rick, particularly Rick, would be a gimmick and nothing more.

The only time when it was truly make sense to kill of Rick would be at the very end of the show/comic. The long journey has come to an end, he's shepherded Carl into adulthood and self-sufficiency, and the entire story reaches a cathartic conclusion with Rick's eyes closing. A black screen lingers. A single gun shot. Credits. No music. End of an era.

There's a long way to go before then though, if that's how it was to go.
    Agree completely. It's starting to feel like some people are calling for his death just as a knee jerk reaction to the popularity of the character. That's be a shitty reason, & I wouldn't want to see it happen just for shock value. I'm still enjoying the character, so I'm in no hurry to see him go. TBH I'd be more ok if they killed off Rick at this point. *shrugs*
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Mar-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: my reasons are my own

England
    Suck my cock bitches!

Seriously though, it seems people want Daryl to die simply because he is a popular character and not form the comics...well, I have the first 4 hardback editions of TWD (unread, still) and I say fuck you D-Dog haters. He is one of the best characters in this show, and I will bet you anything that he is the last man standing...because he pulls in viewers and is a top crossbow wielding, redneck character of tracking awesomeness.

Daryl is TWD's Boba Fett (the cool EU Boba Fett, not the skunk pussy prequel Fett).

Sorry if a few of you Tyreese fanboys are all upset and stuff, but for the first time in my life, I'm going to say "fuck ya'll comics guys" I saw the show first and I like it...and I like it's major characters, and I like like Dayrl...he is a great character.

Legion2213 - Founder of the Squeely Wet Knickers Daryl Appreciation Society
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon