Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Purge: Anarchy (film)

Administrator

England

The Purge: Anarchy (film)

I haven't see the first one yet, but the sequel looks interesting! Love the idea of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFCDqKE4yA
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the first movie the other night on Sky Movies ... the idea is interesting, but almost immediately you're inundated with questions in your mind about how on earth it all works, let alone realistically came into being. Leaps of logic, annoying characters, etc ... a couple of cool moments, but there's just something very off about the script whereby the premise doesn't hold up under general scrutiny.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Watched the first movie the other night on Sky Movies ... the idea is interesting, but almost immediately you're inundated with questions in your mind about how on earth it all works, let alone realistically came into being. Leaps of logic, annoying characters, etc ... a couple of cool moments, but there's just something very off about the script whereby the premise doesn't hold up under general scrutiny.
    So do you think there's hope for this sequel or not?

The premise really interests me! Like an annual nightly apocalypse!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So do you think there's hope for this sequel or not?

The premise really interests me! Like an annual nightly apocalypse!
    Again, it's an interesting idea, and there's some really cool moments in the first film (and that trailer for the sequel), but there's still so many questions you're left with that are very distracting. So all crime is legal? Right, so a nation said it was okay for rape to be unleashed on the populace? That it was okay for paedos to run rampant? It's okay that some people - those high in government - are not legal targets on the Purge ... nobody in the nation called bullshit on that?

What about the clean up costs? What about fires destroying entire buildings (no emergency services throughout the purge) ... there's so many questions that just make the idea, as cool as it is, feel entirely unworkable.

Plus, if the characters/plot aren't working all that well, then these annoyances and distractions become stronger. Once you take away the interest in the central idea, it seems like it'll just essentially become a bunch of "goodies" running away from a bunch of "baddies" ... and I wouldn't be surprised if the grieving father finds redemption and rediscovers his soul, and that somebody will make an idiotic decision or two, and then a personal sacrifice to save the others in the group (e.g. the boy sacrifices himself for the girl).

Again, the ideas are interesting, but they don't feel like they've been thought through anywhere near enough. So, watching the first film, I just had way too many distracting questions running around in my head as I watched the first movie (plus the teenage son character pissed me off SO MUCH).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Again, it's an interesting idea, and there's some really cool moments in the first film (and that trailer for the sequel), but there's still so many questions you're left with that are very distracting. So all crime is legal? Right, so a nation said it was okay for rape to be unleashed on the populace? That it was okay for paedos to run rampant? It's okay that some people - those high in government - are not legal targets on the Purge ... nobody in the nation called bullshit on that?

What about the clean up costs? What about fires destroying entire buildings (no emergency services throughout the purge) ... there's so many questions that just make the idea, as cool as it is, feel entirely unworkable.

Plus, if the characters/plot aren't working all that well, then these annoyances and distractions become stronger. Once you take away the interest in the central idea, it seems like it'll just essentially become a bunch of "goodies" running away from a bunch of "baddies" ... and I wouldn't be surprised if the grieving father finds redemption and rediscovers his soul, and that somebody will make an idiotic decision or two, and then a personal sacrifice to save the others in the group (e.g. the boy sacrifices himself for the girl).

Again, the ideas are interesting, but they don't feel like they've been thought through anywhere near enough. So, watching the first film, I just had way too many distracting questions running around in my head as I watched the first movie (plus the teenage son character pissed me off SO MUCH).
    I can't comment as I've not seen the first, but as a piece of scifi, I feel I'd be happy enough to go with the outlandish assumption this 12hrs of lunacy does make sense for some reason.

It's like Logan's Run where people are terminated at 30, when clearly there's loads of space and resources to let them live (longer)

Guess I need to watch it/them.
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I can't comment as I've not seen the first, but as a piece of scifi, I feel I'd be happy enough to go with the outlandish assumption this 12hrs of lunacy does make sense for some reason.

It's like Logan's Run where people are terminated at 30, when clearly there's loads of space and resources to let them live (longer)

Guess I need to watch it/them.
    No, there are finite resources and limits in Logans Run, a closed post apocalypse society with severe restrictions on a population that simply consumes and lives in pure luxury for it's entire life cycle...this is clearly explained in the TV series (which I really like). If the City of the Domes exceeded it's optimal population, it would break down and collapse, the 30 year age limit is logical in the LR universe)

This film (the first one) seemed very suspect in it's premise, so much so that I didn't even bother to look at it when I could have looted it from the internet...it just seems so silly and didn't interest me at all.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 28-Mar-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    No, there are finite resources and limits in Logans Run, a closed post apocalypse society with severe restrictions on a population that simply consumes and lives in pure luxury for it's entire life cycle...this is clearly explained in the TV series (which I really like). If the City of the Domes exceeded it's optimal population, it would break down and collapse, the 30 year age limit is logical in the LR universe)

This film (the first one) seemed very suspect in it's premise, so much so that I didn't even bother to look at it when I could have looted it from the internet...it just seems so silly and didn't interest me at all.
    Oh I wouldn't pretend my off-the-cuff Logan's Run comparison is a good one. Just trying to make a point (possibly badly)

Clearly I need to see the first film!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Purge is doing the rounds of Sky Movies if you're subscribed to that service.

The premise of it though is simply too full of gaping holes in logic. Neat idea, but it's just not believable enough - indeed, it's extremely distracting - to work on the scale it does in the film, and how it does in the film.

What would have been better, and easier to work with, would have been to re-work the idea so that it was, for instance, a kind of "purge lottery". Instead of it being the entire country (just imagine the vast damage caused by a nationwide purge - and the resulting financial expense), it could be a single city, chosen at random. The lottery could even, in a subplot, be rigged to try and target a specific person - perhaps within government (or someone who is an 'enemy of the government'. At least in a single chosen city or location it would make a bit more sense ... whereas uncontained, mass anarchy for 12 hours a year would, surely, cost a gargantuan amount of money to fix up. Nor do I see an entire nation agreeing to it, nor do I think it'd wipe out crime (or practically wipe it out) throughout the rest of the year ... is a killer really going to wait an entire year for one poxy 12 hour period?

Indeed, seemingly all crime is legalised, so again I'm distracted by the fact that - according to the world in the movie - an entire nation is perfectly fine with legalising, among other things, rape and paedo activity for those 12 hours!!! The premise would make a bit more sense still, if the only crime that was legalised was murder - again, this would contain the cost of the damage to property etc.

Something else that really pissed me off about the film, although perhaps that was part of the point, was:

In the rich community where it takes place their neighbours are all pissed off at the central family because their husband sold them security systems - which are shit, evidently, because you can break in just using a truck and some fucking rope! - and then used the money to build an extension on his house.

Now, he didn't force them to buy a security system from him, so what are they so mad about, and why did Lena Headey's character not say that to those people? Either the writer was making a specific point in an annoying way, or they totally overlooked that.

Either way, that was one - of many - things that annoyed me about this flick.

England
    Oh I wouldn't pretend my off-the-cuff Logan's Run comparison is a good one. Just trying to make a point (possibly badly)

Clearly I need to see the first film!
    Didn't mean to sound harsh there mate...It's just that I can see why the City of the Domes has it's rules "in universe", they make a certain sense, whereas I can't see any internal logic for the purge movies "reasons" for allowing a night of rape and murder. It just seems really stupid.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    There's loads of really good ideas in the Purge films (having seen the first, and judging by the second's trailer), but still - the main conceit is just too full of holes to hold any water and not become distracting, which is a damn shame.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Once i finished watching this movie, i dropped it in the toilet like i did with the first part and pressed on the combination. The movie sucks, The production sucks, The actors sucks, The idea sucks. This movie is a FAILURE by all means and shouldn't deserve any return on investment. The idea is so EVIL and VIOLENT. This is because the mother f*cking israel is controlling your f*cking movie industry. Actors, Directors, Producers, Camera Guys, Lighting Guys,...etc, they are all obeying one source of evil, ISRAEL bitch and they listen to every word this bitch says. Do this, Do that, Don't do this, Don't do that, Say this, Don't Say that. They obey them like sheeps. Unfortunately, the majority of the american people are kind and benign but their brains are washed by jewish ideas. They believe everything this bitch says. So, ideas like "Arabs and muslims are terrorists", "French people sucks" are their invented ideas. For instance, why do you think they tell you to hate France in the media? Why do you think they tell you to hate Arabs and Muslims? Why do you think they tell you to hate Russia?. In addition, movies that show "GOD" word written in the forehead of a mask, Jesus name written in a wall and someone pissed on it, name of a prophet written on a cow's ass, all these are signs of the jewish ideas, in case if you don't know. In brief, f*cking movies like these are against the entire human race, against all religions, and should not be allowed in the marketplace
    Last edited by Technologist_35; 30-Oct-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add couple of words

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologist_35 View Post
    Once i finished watching this movie, i dropped it in the toilet like i did with the first part and pressed on the combination. The movie sucks, The production sucks, The actors sucks, The idea sucks. This movie is a FAILURE by all means and shouldn't deserve any return on investment. The idea is so EVIL and VIOLENT. This is because the mother f*cking israel is controlling your f*cking movie industry. Actors, Directors, Producers, Camera Guys, Lighting Guys,...etc, they are all obeying one source of evil, ISRAEL bitch and they listen to every word this bitch says. Do this, Do that, Don't do this, Don't do that, Say this, Don't Say that. They obey them like sheeps. Unfortunately, the majority of the american people are kind and benign but their brains are washed by jewish ideas. They believe everything this bitch says. So, ideas like "Arabs and muslims are terrorists", "French people sucks" are their invented ideas. For instance, why do you think they tell you to hate France in the media? Why do you think they tell you to hate Arabs and Muslims? Why do you think they tell you to hate Russia?. In addition, movies that show "GOD" word written in the forehead of a mask, Jesus name written in a wall and someone pissed on it, name of a prophet written on a cow's ass, all these are signs of the jewish ideas, in case if you don't know. In brief, f*cking movies like these are against the entire human race, against all religions, and should not be allowed in the marketplace
    Did the Israelis steal your carriage return button?

I really need to watch this film now!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Why, god!?!?

Why did I sell my shares in that tinfoil hat conglomerate!?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Did the Israelis steal your carriage return button?

I really need to watch this film now!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Why, god!?!?

Why did I sell my shares in that tinfoil hat conglomerate!?

I didn't watch the first one, & had zero interest in the second, now I'm strangely interested! Maybe the OP is a secret Israeli marketing scheme to get people to watch the move?

Well played Jews, well played.