Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x16 "A" episode discussion (Season 4 Finale) ... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Gotta comment on it since I haven't seen anyone else mention it - and the inner-nerd inside of me is loving it.

Anyone else notice that Mary is played by Tasha Yar / Sela (Denise Crosby) from Star Trek The Next Generation?

I'm hoping she'll have a greater role in the next season as she's a fine actress and I'd love to see her really have an opportunity to shine on the show before Rick no doubt finally finds a way to blow her head off (not a spoiler, just speculation on my behalf). Would absolutely love to see her become a "regular" character on the show and see what all she'd bring to the series!

MaryA.jpg

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Gotta comment on it since I haven't seen anyone else mention it - and the inner-nerd inside of me is loving it.

Anyone else notice that Mary is played by Tasha Yar / Sela (Denise Crosby) from Star Trek The Next Generation?

I'm hoping she'll have a greater role in the next season as she's a fine actress and I'd love to see her really have an opportunity to shine on the show before Rick no doubt finally finds a way to blow her head off (not a spoiler, just speculation on my behalf). Would absolutely love to see her become a "regular" character on the show and see what all she'd bring to the series!

MaryA.jpg

j.p.
    Did you not watch last weeks episode when she was introduced? People immediately mentioned her stardom. No disrespect to any fandom but I can't wait till Mary and everyone else at Terminus is annihilated. Violently.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Did you not watch last weeks episode when she was introduced? People immediately mentioned her stardom. No disrespect to any fandom but I can't wait till Mary and everyone else at Terminus is annihilated. Violently.
    Well shit no, that would have required that I read last week's thread which I woefully did not. I don't stop by HPotD as much as I used to anymore. I should come by more often.

I left a Olde English sitting on a table here in the forums a couple years ago - anyone seen it? Room temperature doesn't bother me, it's a sin to let a good beer go to waste.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Hey, J.P.! How you been, man?

I left a Olde English sitting on a table here in the forums a couple years ago - anyone seen it?
    Neil's still here.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    The flashbacks really worked for me during this finale; almost sad and touching at the same time. Discovering how and Rick became a farmer and how much influence Hershel really had on Rick. Watching Patrick build Legos compared and mirrored to Carl build back a gun was brilliant. The way they transitioned into the present was really well done.

Guess I was wrong about Joe but dammit he was a cool character. I really liked Joe's group as they added something pretty unique to the show; interesting rules and great street smarts in this zombie apocalypse considering they were the only ones to stay far away from Terminus.

Rick's brutality was great and him calling Daryl his brother was even better. Glad Rick gutted that bastard like he did. "He's mine."

The foreshadowing this season has been marvelous. Tons of cool Easter eggs and many of the classic moments beautifully translated onto the screen.

I kinda agree AMC trolled the shit out I everybody with that misleading tagline and promotion. However, even though no one actually died on our side, I just loved the ending. Pretty amazing even though we got a PG version of one of Rick's classic lines.

The tension was great and the show presented us with a very different type of season finale and I'm ok with that. Everyone thought the producers were gonna try and be bold by killing Daryl or even Rick himself; but it appears we got a totally different set of balls and I think it's awesome.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Cliffhanger! Chosen because it co-starred Michael Rooker, of course!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't stop by HPotD as much as I used to anymore. I should come by more often.
    Yes you should. Good to see you, JP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Neil's still here.
    Well played, sir.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Cliffhanger! Chosen because it co-starred Michael Rooker, of course!
    A nice easter egg to go along with it, aye.

Just thinking about it - another similarity to The Governor for Rick - TG bit off two of Merle's fingers, turned to camera and spat them out ... Rick bit Joe's throat, turned to camera and spat the gore out.

I'm thinking there's gonna be some dark shit bubbling up to the surface for the likes of Rick and Carl in season 5.

*EDIT*

What did people think of the creepy room with all the names on the floor and candles etc? Do you think those were people they've lost - family members etc - like it's a shrine? Or, is it a weird shrine to the people they've eaten? Thoughts?

I wonder if we'll get a look inside those containers and find people with limbs cut off and the wounds sewn up ... kinda like in "The Road" ... *little bit of sick came up just then*
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Apr-2014 at 10:47 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post

I kinda agree AMC trolled the shit out I everybody with that misleading tagline and promotion. However, even though no one actually died on our side, I just loved the ending. Pretty amazing even though we got a PG version of one of Rick's classic lines.
    They said on Talking Dead that they actually filmed the "R-rated" version of the line but decided not to use it. I don't see why not? Breaking Bad dropped one or two f-bombs a season. Of course the sound would've dropped out when he said it during the prime time premiere(like they did on BB), but it would've been heard in all it's glory on blu ray...

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What did people think of the creepy room with all the names on the floor and candles etc? Do you think those were people they've lost - family members etc - like it's a shrine? Or, is it a weird shrine to the people they've eaten? Thoughts?
    With the candles and personal items scattered about, I was thinking it was a shrine to the people they had "sacrificed". Maybe they're not exactly happy about what they're doing, but have gone to that extreme because of "never again"(painted on walls)?

I wonder if we'll get a look inside those containers and find people with limbs cut off and the wounds sewn up ... kinda like in "The Road" ... *little bit of sick came up just then*
    I must've missed it, but I've had others tell me that when the group is being herded through Terminus, they pass by another train car and you can hear a woman screaming "help us!". Not sure if it was train car B or something else. I need to watch the episode again to try and catch these little details I must've missed in the excitement.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    ...the finale just fell flat for me
    Yeh, me too. I wasn't that impressed with it. It needed to be a double episode.

and bravo to amc...by vetoing the resounding "no" majority vote (something like 70% to 30% in favor of no) on their [B]bullshit fan-romance crap[/B
    Wha choo talkin bout Willis????

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh, way ahead of ya.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=22178&page=3&p=305118&viewfull=1# post305118

- - - Updated - - -

I really like Joe; such a cool character.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
    He doesn't seem as phony as The Governor did.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, me too. I wasn't that impressed with it. It needed to be a double episode.

Wha choo talkin bout Willis????

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh, way ahead of ya.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...l=1#post305118

- - - Updated - - -

You, sir, were right. Anyone who would let another man sexually assault another human bieng; especially a child, deserved what he got. Still, Joe was an interesting character.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    @ shootem:

over here in the states, during commercial breaks they had this fucking stupid series of commercials aimed at all the "2-screen experience" tools who can't put down their laptops and tablets during the show. the adverts featured a guy and a girl, and they had several of them, covering their first date (TWD-viewing date at one of their apartments, of course), going to TWD-themed parties together, dressed up as walkers, pictures of them with hearts drawn on it saying "just like glenn and maggie"etc......corny shit, a love-fest between two TWD uber-fans, you get the idea.......

anyhow, the last commercial before the midseason finale showed the guy getting down on one knee and bringing out a severed hand prop with a ring on it and proposing to the girl. it then told fans to go online and vote in the poll as to whether she would say yes or no. just to be the jerk than i am, i decided to get online and vote "no", and apparently a lot of other folks thought it was a lame idea, too, as the voting was almost 70% no, 30% yes. they said they would reveal the answer during the season finale.

well, during the "finale", they showed a commercial with the uber-fan doofus guy sitting around moping in his apartment (wearing his walking dead shirt, no doubt), and he's got his tablet out, and all his social media buddies are messaging him, telling him all this crap about how it's her loss, forget her, etc. out of nowhere, he hears the theme music from TWD, then he looks outside and the chick is outside, doing her best john cusack in "say anything" moment, complete with trench coat even, with her tablet blaring the music with a message wrote on the screen: "i should have said YES". the couple then reconcile and he puts his arm around her and they begin to walk back inside, presumably to masturbate together while watching their favorite show.

just kinda irks me that even though the vast majority of voters showed how silly polls and shit like this can be, amc flipped the script and had them live happily ever after, to go on and reproduce and make little uber-fans who are going to be even more enthusiastic about this show than MZ is.

as for the episode, i think this would have been a great one to have right before the finale. the finale could have been more action-oriented and shocking by having rick's group finding out beth was being served for dinner, then planning to escape, barely making it out, but not before losing a couple of regulars in the process, then re-grouping outside of terminus and rick then saying something along the lines of the terminus folks fucking with the wrong people. that would have been a much more satisfying finale, in my opinion.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 01-Apr-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I must've missed it, but I've had others tell me that when the group is being herded through Terminus, they pass by another train car and you can hear a woman screaming "help us!". Not sure if it was train car B or something else. I need to watch the episode again to try and catch these little details I must've missed in the excitement.
    Yeah, the voices came from a shipping container. The group heard the voices, but couldn't do anything about it in the chaos ... so I'd imagine they'll open them up sometime in season 5 and we'll see what nastiness is hiding behind there.

Grim stuff.

The "Terminites" are just too damn lazy to do their own shopping.

Prof - I just don't think Beth is at Terminus. The car in which she was spirited away had a big cross on the rear window, so I'm assuming it's someone entirely different that's got her. Besides, at that point, there was still a fair distance to go to get to Terminus, and those Terminites don't seem too keen on anything other than home delivery.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Apr-2014 at 04:25 PM.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    They said on Talking Dead that they actually filmed the "R-rated" version of the line but decided not to use it. I don't see why not? Breaking Bad dropped one or two f-bombs a season. Of course the sound would've dropped out when he said it during the prime time premiere(like they did on BB), but it would've been heard in all it's glory on blu ray...

With the candles and personal items scattered about, I was thinking it was a shrine to the people they had "sacrificed". Maybe they're not exactly happy about what they're doing, but have gone to that extreme because of "never again"(painted on walls)?

Pretty sure the screams came from the big shipping containers they ran past...looks like Terminus is well stocked for winter!

And yes, the shrine room was intriguing, I'm not sure they would dedicate such a space to cattle/livestock though, and they claim to have been there since the outbreak, so plenty of time to lose a few dozen of their own people.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 01-Apr-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    You, sir, were right. Anyone who would let another man sexually assault another human bieng; especially a child, deserved what he got. Still, Joe was an interesting character.
    Aye, he was that. It's kind of a pity he had to get throat surgery though. He would have made a great bad guy for next season. They may have missed a trick there.

- - - Updated - - -

@ shootem:

over here in the states, during commercial breaks they had this fucking stupid series of commercials aimed at all the "2-screen experience" tools who can't put down their laptops and tablets during the show. the adverts featured a guy and a girl, and they had several of them, covering their first date (TWD-viewing date at one of their apartments, of course), going to TWD-themed parties together, dressed up as walkers, pictures of them with hearts drawn on it saying "just like glenn and maggie"etc......corny shit, a love-fest between two TWD uber-fans, you get the idea.......

anyhow, the last commercial before the midseason finale showed the guy getting down on one knee and bringing out a severed hand prop with a ring on it and proposing to the girl. it then told fans to go online and vote in the poll as to whether she would say yes or no. just to be the jerk than i am, i decided to get online and vote "no", and apparently a lot of other folks thought it was a lame idea, too, as the voting was almost 70% no, 30% yes. they said they would reveal the answer during the season finale.

well, during the "finale", they showed a commercial with the uber-fan doofus guy sitting around moping in his apartment (wearing his walking dead shirt, no doubt), and he's got his tablet out, and all his social media buddies are messaging him, telling him all this crap about how it's her loss, forget her, etc. out of nowhere, he hears the theme music from TWD, then he looks outside and the chick is outside, doing her best john cusack in "say anything" moment, complete with trench coat even, with her tablet blaring the music with a message wrote on the screen: "i should have said YES". the couple then reconcile and he puts his arm around her and they begin to walk back inside, presumably to masturbate together while watching their favorite show.

just kinda irks me that even though the vast majority of voters showed how silly polls and shit like this can be, amc flipped the script and had them live happily ever after, to go on and reproduce and make little uber-fans who are going to be even more enthusiastic about this show than MZ is.
    There's just no emoticon for how shite that is.

as for the episode, i think this would have been a great one to have right before the finale. the finale could have been more action-oriented and shocking by having rick's group finding out beth was being served for dinner, then planning to escape, barely making it out, but not before losing a couple of regulars in the process, then re-grouping outside of terminus and rick then saying something along the lines of the terminus folks fucking with the wrong people. that would have been a much more satisfying finale, in my opinion.
    Agree completely. It's like the writers ran out of paper.

Anyway, it'll be back on in October. In my experience, the older I'm getting the quicker time is flying by, so, it'll be here before I know it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Hi folks first post.

I thought it was a satisfying end to series 4 but with one minor issue. I liked the flash backs to happier times at the prison but there was slightly too many for my taste. I loved the part when Rick was spotting belongings from Glen, Maggie and the others in the possession of the Fine Young Cannibals. The whole scene with Joe vs Rick was fantastic and the instant mini-evolution of Rick should give some major forward motion for future episodes and seasons. He knows what type of person he needs to be to keep Carl alive and he isn't afraid to step across boundaries that in series one and two he would have frowned at. I would love to see how he would deal with Randall now.

One thing I did notice with this episode is just how much is cut in the UK version. For the first time I watched US pace because I suspected spoilers would be all over social media and I noticed some pretty key parts missing from the UK version that really add to the episode. The walker victim who Carl tried to save had his face removed in the US version which was cut, and there was additional stuff in the Rick vs Hunters scene, particularly the attempted assault on Carl.

I just wonder what else has been taken out in four series prior.