Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x16 "A" episode discussion (Season 4 Finale) ... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post

Hmmm, were they trying to imply that walkers ate the meat off them bones?

Edit: added the spoiler tags.

It looks like the body parts have been cut up to feed the Walkers. Its been implied that Gareth & Co are more like a cult rather than cannibals. Im guessing they cut the scene to leave it more ambiguous. Give themselves more options
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post

It looks like the body parts have been cut up to feed the Walkers. Its been implied that Gareth & Co are more like a cult rather than cannibals. Im guessing they cut the scene to leave it more ambiguous. Give themselves more options

I like that idea. Makes sense considering how big a group the terminites are. Gareth is supposedly a remix of two comic characters; my thoughts? Chris/Gabriel.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What did people think of the creepy room with all the names on the floor and candles etc? Do you think those were people they've lost - family members etc - like it's a shrine? Or, is it a weird shrine to the people they've eaten? Thoughts?
    I wondered where they get enough candles to keep that many burning at all times.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I wondered where they get enough candles to keep that many burning at all times.
    Human fat...obviously...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Just a had a look at the 1am UK showing and the gore is intact so I think from now on I think it would be better to wait for the later broadcast
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I'm shocked the US allows more gore than what is allowed in UK.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Americans are generally prudes, but prudes that are inured to blood, violence and gore.

Now if women's nipples popped up in TWD as often as the gore there'd be cuts, and then letter writing campaigns if nary a nip did slip.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    In the U.S., blood and guts is fine. It the boobies and the butts that are strictly taboo!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Americans are generally prudes, but prudes that are inured to blood, violence and gore.

Now if women's nipples popped up in TWD as often as the gore there'd be cuts, and then letter writing campaigns if nary a nip did slip.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    In the U.S., blood and guts is fine. It the boobies and the butts that are strictly taboo!
    In the UK, I feel our rating system is more balanced because of the 12A / 15 / 18 certificates ... rather than PG-13 and then a big old chasm of nothingness to an R rating.

When it comes to TV, in the UK we have what is called the "9 o'clock watershed". Before that point you can't swear or show violence or nudity - you can only mildly hint at that sort of stuff - but after 9pm things escalate quickly and within minutes, depending on the channel's own attitude and the context, you can be dropping F-bombs and flashing the flesh. Heck, I doubt the likes of BabeStation would last very long in America.

When it comes to TWD - that's usually shown in a 10pm slot, so it remains uncut - however 4x16 was shown in a 9pm slot. The cuts to violence are most likely to scenes where there's a real focus on the 'infliction of pain/violence' - e.g. the detail of the guy getting his eye chewed out. However, in a 10pm (or later) showing that's completely intact.

TWD is rated 14 on AMC, but here in the UK when it comes to DVD/Blu-Ray, it's rated 18 due to the 'focus' on violent acts and gore. Context is also a consideration - so Shaun of the Dead is partly a comedy and doesn't generally dwell on violence too much (or, rather, the agony of violence quite so much), so you can get away with the Rhodes-referencing death in Shaun, but the actual Rhodes death in Day of the Dead is still an 18.

However - language - not such a big deal over here. The C-Bomb can be dropped after 10pm on TV for anyone to see, and indeed, look at The World's End - with the right context and tone, the word was used several times in a 15 rated movie. Sex or nudity, also, isn't such a big deal either - yes, you occasionally get little tabloid panics now and then (e.g. when Queer As Folk first aired, or Footballer's Wives, which both had a reputation for being fairly graphic/in your face/honest/lurid/whatever) ... but on the other hand you can have experimental shows like, back in 2009, when they did a 'live nude modelling' art programme.

I forget the name of it, but for a week on Channel 4 - at around about 1pm IIRC - they had nude models (boobs, butts, bush, and willies) stripping off to their birthday suits and posing for the camera so the viewer could join in with the artists on the show itself and draw the models themselves. I can't imagine that would have been on NBC or ABC or whatever at lunchtime!

So really, in the UK, TWD is only an 18 because of the gore and violence. If it wasn't for that it'd be a soft 15, possibly even a 12A for some episodes.

It is a bit weird that all manner of death and destruction doesn't bat an eyelid over there, but Janet Jackson's fleeting nipple causes mass hysteria.

Now - had TWD been a British production, that final line of 'They just screwed with the wrong people' would have absolutely been able to use the F-bomb. Likewise there'd be F-bombs littered throughout and the sexy bits would be a little more daring. Violence wise it'd be the same, and still aired from 10pm.

So - that 9pm showing - I'm thinking it was possibly a trial or a test for FoxUK to see if they could scare up even more viewers at 9pm, but really, come on, just show it at 10pm like normal and leave it uncut FFS.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Apr-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    When it comes to TWD - that's usually shown in a 10pm slot, so it remains uncut - however 4x16 was shown in a 9pm slot. The cuts to violence are most likely to scenes where there's a real focus on the 'infliction of pain/violence' - e.g. the detail of the guy getting his eye chewed out. However, in a 10pm (or later) showing that's completely intact.
    The whole series had the 9pm option did it not? So the worry is every episode I watched had been cut in someway

Why they didn't simply state this prior to each episode and let the user know the uncut version was available an hour later I don't know
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So the worry is every episode I watched had been cut in someway
    Finally, a verifiable reason why every Brit's opinion on TWD is suspect!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Why they didn't simply state this prior to each episode and let the user know...
    Because they'd lose viewers.

Most people, when they hear that a film has been cut, just don't bother.

It used to make me form fists when I bought videos in the 90's and I'd get home to find out the bloody thing had been cut, without a single indication of such a fact on the cover.

It's remarkable that such things exist still to this day.

Thank god for the interwebs.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 04-Apr-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    The whole series had the 9pm option did it not? So the worry is every episode I watched had been cut in someway

Why they didn't simply state this prior to each episode and let the user know the uncut version was available an hour later I don't know
    Erm, well, according to my Sky+ planner I recorded the last eight episodes at 10pm except 4x16 which was recorded in the 9pm slot (I then re-recorded it at 1am t'other night). So, if shown at 10pm, they should be uncut.

Double checked and yeah, the first seven episodes were recording on Mondays at 10pm on Fox (not Fox+1 ... or whatever it's called), so those must surely have been left uncut.

4x16 definitely aired first of all at 9pm though and was cut. I'm wondering, as I've said, if it was an experiment by FoxUK to get even more viewers.

Also, yeah, as shoot said they'd never let anyone know that they'd cut it - people wouldn't watch it until a later slot. It is really annoying ... there should be some kind of message because, surely, you're showing something that doesn't represent the true version of the episode. I hope FoxUK are paying attention to this sort of talk and decide to shitcan the idea of cutting episodes just to air them a measily hour earlier (perhaps, possibly, probably, the cost for buying an advert slot is higher between 9 and 10, rather than 10 and 11?)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Finally, a verifiable reason why every Brit's opinion on TWD is suspect!
    That explains EVERYTHING!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Part of it is that the blood and guts are fake but the boobies and butts are real. Real blood and guts are just as taboo. Another part is that parents know their teens are more likely to, let's say, be tempted to act out in real life based on visions of boobies and butts versus visions of blood and guts.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria