Page 101 of 173 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Showing abs are just a lack of bodyfat. Having said that, for a women to get visible abs is fucking hell of a lot of work.
    hehe ... I remember after I had hernia surgery the surgeon stopped by afterwards for the standard checks and gave me props for my abdominal muscles, being that he'd seen them from the inside. I was chuffed with that ... shame about the gut that's rested on top of them since forever, mind.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Showing abs are just a lack of bodyfat. Having said that, for a women to get visible abs is fucking hell of a lot of work.
    She definitely put in the effort in that regard...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    She definitely put in the effort in that regard...

She's from the next town over from where I currently live. I see her once and again. Ate at the same restaurant as her and Fassbender last summer.

Super Moderator

UK
    It

The new one. I enjoyed it, mostly because of the ensemble that is the Losers' Club. The "scary" bits didn't scare me, nor creep me out really, but then I'm also a hardened aficionado of the horror genre, so many of the tricks of the trade are lost on me. There were some cool moments and technical choices (e.g. Pennywise's head appearing static within the frame as he dances, with the motion following everything but his head (as if the camera is locked to his face), but I found the 'scary bits' to lack tension. They seemed to jump to the 'scary bit' far too quickly with not enough build up (e.g. the butcher's back door scene, or the bully in the sewer early on).

They also seemed to play some of the main bully's seething hatred a bit soft. I've not read the book, but I've heard that the bullying is far worse in the book. While there are some really dark moments in the film (the carving of "H" on the one kid's belly, for instance), the other bullying seemed as if it was censored for today's audience ... which is strange considering you've got a scene where a clown bites off a small child's arm! Naturally, having been bullied at school way back when, I abhor bullying, but if you're going to show it in a movie - especially one set in the 80s (i.e. a different cultural time to today) then you've gotta be more honest to the source material. Conversely, the way they handled the abusive father subplot was spot-on - very disturbing and subtly played, the whole insidious nature of it proved to be the most disquieting thing in the whole film.

The film's main success is the Losers' Club, though. They found a good array of young actors for the parts and they worked really well together - especially Bill, Bev, and Ben. As for the Pennywise performance? Quite good, although my deepest memories of Pennywise will always be Tim Curry ... sneaking glimpses of the mini-series in-secret because I wasn't allowed to watch it (I don't think I've seen the whole thing properly, come to think of it now...) ... ... but anyway, Skarsgard did some interesting things here, but at times the filmmakers showed Pennywise too much early on, but then again I don't have a fear of clowns, so it's never going to be as creepy for me as someone who doesn't like clowns.

Ireland
    'Journey's End'

Simply put, one of the best WWI "trench life" films that I've seen. Saul Dibb's film, of R.C. Sherriff's play, expertly captures what day to day existence was like on the line in First World War France. While it's been filmed before, most famously as 'Ace's High', no other production has managed to be as technically correct and as engaging.

Sporting a brilliant cast, with many familiar non-stars, everybody is perfect in their role. Asa Butterfield, as the fresh faced Second Lieutenant Raleigh is well cast as the naive and innocent young officer, who hero worships an old schoolmate of his, Captain Stanhope (Sam Claflin), and wishes to be placed in his company. Through familial maneuvers he gets his wish and faces a baptism of fire, as Stanhope's battalion has been placed in the forward trenches just in time for the German Spring Offensive of 1918. Stanhope is not the same man as Raleigh remembers from his public shool days in England and has become a drunkard, while still maintaining a managable offcer's command position. Stanhope doesn't relish the thought of Raleigh being in his command, as he's worried that young officer's sister, with whom he has a relationship, will find out about his alcoholism.

Elsewhere, the excellent Paul Bettany is great as the congenial "Uncle", the "superior" by age in the officer's dugout. Despite being a subordinate rank to Captain Stanhope, all of the men look up to Lieutenant Osborne, including Stanhope himself. He's softer with the men and quietly dispair's on their behalf, while trying to maintain a stoic type of dignity. He, along with Stephen Graham as Second Lieutenant Trotter and Toby Jones as Private Mason are the most recognisable faces.

'Journey's End' is not a bombastc war movie. There's no silly over the top (if you pardon the pun) heroics, like we see in the likes of 'Hacksaw Ridge'. It plays out its time with a quiet, unsettling, patience, rather like much of the war itself. The men are locked into their fate, waiting for the inevitable German attack to come. They carry on as best they can, finding distraction in drink, their official duties or willfully ignorant humour, like the working class, Liverpudlian, Trotter who uses laughter as a distraction from his situation.

Those expecting to see bullets flying and explosions will be disappointed, although there are a couple of well handled action scenes. But, 'Journey's End' is more about a slice of life in the trenches of WWI, rather than a showcase for violence. It remains largely concentrated on the officer's dugout too and ventures out amongst the enlisted men only on a couple of occasions.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the film made no money. It's gross at the box office was minimal, which is a real shame, because it's a very fine film and I wouldn't let that put people off from watching. I suppose in the age of superhero actioners, a film such as 'Journey's End' has no place.

9/10

'The Lost Continent'

There are a number of Hammer films that I have never seen, despite growing up with them and being familiar with the titles. 1968's 'The Lost Continent' was one such film. While it has to be said that a lot of Hammer films are quite mediocre affairs these days and are more fun to talk about than to watch, they usually contain elements of great interest to me and a lot of other people and this was no exception. On paper, the story seems wild and unfocused, but as it plays out, it's kind of fascinating. A tramp steamer with a contriband cargo and a dodgy passanger list sets sail from Freetown to Caracas. But, due to stormy weather, it gets lost in the Sargasso Sea along the way where the crew and passangers tumble upon man eating seaweed, giant scorpions, mutated crabs and the a band of religious nutters who are descended from Spanish Conquistadors! As mad as it sounds, it's a crazy story that begins as a sort of low key voyage of the damned and ends up a half arsed 'When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth' mixed with Peter Benchley's 'The Island'.

The acting is weak in parts, especially from the females. The model effects are charming, but obvious. The rubber creatures are downright laughable and the story doesn't have a real conclusion. But, it's never boring, which is its real credit. The DVD I watched was pretty poor quality too, with visible interlacing and a murky picture. But, maybe it's filtered murkiness added to it sense of oddness? I'd like to see a Blu ray restoration of the film, but I won't be holding my breath for that to appear any time soon and in all probability, the hi-def image would betray those models and creatures even more.

'The Lost Continent' is not a good film in any respects, but it is an entertaining one. So it's very hard to score. Therefore, I won't.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Terninator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day

While browsing the Vudu account for something to watch this morning, and after the recent news of Cameron’s return to the franchise, I decided to watch these two films back-to-back.

There’s really nothing new that can be said about these films at this point. Most of us have seen them numerous times and recognize them as some of the all-time best science fiction films. However, one thing that I’ve continued to notice as time goes on is that the original film is not aging well at all. That’s not meant to be detrimental to the film, it’s fantastic, but just from a time period aesthetic, T2 seems to be aging better and having more of a “timeless” quality whereas T1 is very much a film of the eighties. Of course they both show signs of the times they were produced, it just seems to me that T2 has the edge when it comes to that “timelessness” even though it’s now 25-30 years old.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Jun-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typo

United States
    We all know that Bruno Mattei made the real Terminator II. It came out first, after all.

Here's a funny review of it, and I believe the whole movie is on YT also.

Or, how about this review of the "remake" of the Terminator.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    We all know that Bruno Mattei made the real Terminator II. It came out first, after all.
    Did he insert tons of unnecessary animal stock-footage from all over the world here too?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The first Terminator movie = a film geared for an adult audience. The second Terminator movie = a film geared for a younger audience. There's just no comparison. The second film is simply an entertaining action romp. The first one is a well-thought, well-crafted and well-balanced landmark sci-fi film.
    T1 is definately dark in tone, but T2 has a huge dark undertone too with its constant theme of impending nuclear war...

Yep... Not aimed at adults this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjatJ36cJvM

And of course, the fact this is done via practical effects rather than CGI - WOW!

Anyway, in thruth there both great flicks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeLyBRkF178
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    T1 is definately dark in tone, but T2 has a huge dark undertone too with its constant theme of impending nuclear war...

Yep... Not aimed at adults this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjatJ36cJvM

And of course, the fact this is done via practical effects rather than CGI - WOW!
    The fact that they made the kid to be the main human protagonist is one of the obvious signs it is geared for the younger audiences. This is how the American movie industry thinks and operates. Almost always, when you see youngsters filling the main roles of a Hollywood movie, you know very well who the main target audience is. The first Terminator film is much darker, grittier, believable and obviously directed at a more mature audience.

United States
    Did he insert tons of unnecessary animal stock-footage from all over the world here too?
    I haven't watched the whole movie yet, but surely there is some thrown in for good measure.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Terminator Salvation

Not as bad as T3, but obviously not as good as Cameron’s films. Overall rather bland, but there are a few good details, such as Anton Yelchin as a young Kyle Reese. Great casting.

I at least have to give them credit for trying something different than the same ol’ time travel rehash from the previous films.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Jun-2018 at 12:22 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Terminator Salvation

Not as bad as T3, but obviously not as good as Cameron’s films. Overall rather bland, but there are a few good details, such as Anton Yelchin as a young Kyle Reese. Great casting.

I at least have to give them credit for trying something different than the same ol’ time travel rehash from the previous films.
    I enjoyed the future war setting, but again they utterly buggered up the Terminators - e.g. that giant Transformer thingy, so bloody loud in operation yet it sneaks up on the gas station outpost with total surprise factor. Plus the aforementioned agregiousness of the molten steel moment.

The trailer was awesome, mind ... but it would be, 'cos Nine Inch Nails.

I enjoyed the older model of Terminator (T-600?) with the rubber skin. They looked really cool and kinda scary, very creepy ... ... the mute child tag along, though? WTF.

Considering that T2 was Rated "R" (it's a 15 in the UK, much like the first movie which was actually down-rated from an 18 to a 15 several years ago) and the procession of F-bombs littered throughout, I don't think they were going for a family audience. Really, the film has a three-eyed central protagonist, by which I mean, a trio of POVs to view the film through - John, Sarah, and the T-800 - we view the film through all of their eyes throughout. Plus, the underlying theme of family (with the T-800 as the surrogate father figure) doesn't make it a "family" movie. Indeed, these themes don't register with children, but they kick like a mule for grown ups - the T-800 lowering into the molten steel and then the thumbs up always manages to coincide with something getting in my eye (funny how that works! ) ... the tragedy that that moment represents for John, also - who never knew his father (Kyle Reese), has always had an unstable life, and now he's found some sort of solid parental figure (albeit a re-programmed killing machine) he has to let it go and watch it being destroyed.

Considering various other moments of violence in the film - bystanders getting riddled with bullets, the biker painfully scrabbling on a hot stove, limbs being broken, knives being punctured into flesh, the T-1000 skewering various people through the face - this is not family-oriented material. Indeed, when I first saw it on BBC1 many moons ago it was on well after the 9pm watershed and was still cut to ribbons (for violence, and all the F-bombs were eradicated). T2 literally isn't a family movie, but that doesn't mean you can't make toys to sell to children - just as they did for the first movie, just as they did for various other R-Rated movies such as the Alien franchise.

Administrator

England
    The fact that they made the kid to be the main human protagonist is one of the obvious signs it is geared for the younger audiences. This is how the American movie industry thinks and operates. Almost always, when you see youngsters filling the main roles of a Hollywood movie, you know very well who the main target audience is. The first Terminator film is much darker, grittier, believable and obviously directed at a more mature audience.
    So like The Exorcist for example?

I'll give you the original is probably aimed at a more mature audience, but T2 is hardly a dumbed down family flick is it And ultimately none of this detemines which is the superior film. IMHO they're equally as great.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can’t believe I actually made it through all of them...

Terminator Genisys

Like the others, some good ideas sprinkled throughout, they just can’t all come together to make a good movie. Watching this one again, I actually think it’s on an okay path up until the final act, then it really falls apart. The first 45 minutes to an hour show some signs of promise, but all that promise is lost by the time they’re flying helicopters in ridiculous ways through San Francisco. Even if viewed as a bit of a cop out, I have to admit that the recreated scenes from the first film are pretty well done. They at least paid attention to detail and did a better job on young Arnold than Salvation did, anyway.

If I were forced to rank the three non-Cameron sequels, it’d probably be in reverse order from their release: Genisys, Salvation, Rise of the Machines. That’s not saying much at all, though. That’s like being asked to rank the Transformers films....