Page 104 of 173 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    No, it's certainly not a classic in the sense that '12 Angry Men' would be. But, I'd call it a "classic" of that Italian cannibal/zombie genre at least. If there are two films that define that crazy era, they'd 'Cannibal Holocaust' and 'Zombie Flesh Eaters'.
    I edited it to at least say zombie classic. Meant to put that the first time around.

Truthfully, I feel like I’m missing something with this flick. Usually when I have an opinion that differs from the majority, I’m still able to identify what it is that brough them to that rating, even if I don’t necessarily agree with it. But with Zombie, I’m currently unable to identify the things that would set this film apart and make it a classic of the zombie genre?

I wanted to fall in love with the film, I really did. I honestly went in hoping that I’d walk away with something that I’d be proud to purchase and display with my other classic zombie films, but unfortunately I just don’t see what pushes this one to be a cut above the rest. I’m going to give it some time to simmer and then give it another spin, hopefully being able to identify what I’m missing.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jun-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I edited it to at least say zombie classic. Meant to put that the first time around.

Truthfully, I feel like I’m missing something with this flick. Usually when I have an opinion that differs from the majority, I’m still able to identify what it is that brough them to that rating, even if I don’t necessarily agree with it. But with Zombie, I’m currently unable to identify the things that would set this film apart and make it a classic of the zombie genre?

I wanted to fall in love with the film, I really did. I honestly went in hoping that I’d walk away with something that I’d be proud to purchase and display with my other classic zombie films, but unfortunately I just don’t see what pushes this one to be a cut above the rest. I’m going to give it some time to simmer and then give it another spin, hopefully being able to identify what I’m missing.
    The movie that pitted a zombie against a shark... and you are still asking what sets it apart from all others?

The movie's pluses: its disgusting, repulsive, decayed zombies (even if they weren't carnivorous freaks, you would still not want them anywhere near you), the great atmosphere of decay and doom, the unapologetic "in your face" gore... did I mention that there's a battle between a zombie and a friggin' shark? Oh, yeah, I did!

Two scenes in this movie also set a couple of standard "cliches" for many other zombie movies to come: eye-violence (see, for example, Bianchi's The Nights of Terror, or Mattei's Hell of the Living Dead), and the "humans stumble upon zombies feasting on an unfortunate human victim" scene (see, again, Bianchi's The Nights of Terror, Mattei's Hell of the Living Dead, or Agrama's Dawn of the Mummy, for example.)

The movie has to be appreciated for what it is: a pure horror movie. There are no "hidden messages", or "social commentaries" or "allegories" here. It's just horror for horror's sake. Nothing else. It's simple. It's straightforward. It makes no apologies for what it is.

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't say there's no hidden messages or deeper meanings in the film, as Fulci himself spoke of higher things in interviews regarding his various films (e.g. that whole of thing of being 'post-narrative' with films like City of the Living Dead ... although that notion wasn't a raving success, was it? but the intention was clearly there, whether he was successful at addressing his ideas on-screen is another thing, but the intention was certainly there as he himself stated) ... ... but anyway, in Zombie Flesh Eaters there are some ideas relating back to Voodoo, as Fulci has always intended from the start, to take it back to those roots, and there's even some nods and winks to colonialism what with the zombies rising from the graves being Spanish Conquistadors. Some of these ideas just pop up and then almost immediately disappear, but there's some stuff going on there amongst it all.

Indeed, speaking of colonialism, references to it would pop up in various Italian films - one that immediately springs to mind is "Massacre In Dinosaur Valley", a cannibal movie from 1985 where the main villains aren't cannibals but actually white colonialists seeking to pillage the rainforest for its precious gems. That film also carried themes of American masculinity suffering from dysfunction (the grizzled Vietnam vet, threatened by Michael Sopkiw's rugged hero, and henpecked by his dolled-up wife who constantly bemoans his impotence).

I'm getting off on a tangent here, but while any themes or higher ideas aren't deployed in a major way in Zombie Flesh Eaters, there are some things layered in there amidst the very distracting gore sequences. It does skew more towards full-blown horror, but there's a few little things slotted in there. The Italian screenwriters tended to inject various ideas and themes into their scripts, perhaps less-so by the time of the 1980s and the splatter cycle, but certainly during the 1970s you'd find many films chock full with politics and social commentary (gialli and poliziotteschi in particular).

Ireland

I wouldn't be too worry about it Bassy . It's a junk movie. Take from it what you want.

I think you kinda had to be around when it was, if you know what I mean.

Over on this side of the pond, it gained notoriety because it was listed as a video nasty in the 80's. It's quite laughable these days to think of that. I think it's one of those "time and place" films that's lost all of its dubious magic by now.

But, there's really nothing to "miss" here.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ghostbusters(1984) and Ghostbusters II(1989)

Any long time members or people that know me outside of the forums know that I’m a huge GB fan. To the point of having large collections, prop replicas, you name it. I’ve seen the films too many times to count and the original, in my mind, is a perfect film. Growing up, it was my Star Wars(although I love SW, as well), and then took on an even different kind of admiration when I got older and was able to understand more of its “adult” humor. That being said, I’m not going to really review the first film except to say it’s excellent, but instead focus on the more controversial GBII....

Throughout the years, GBII has often been regarded as a terrible film by many viewers. While there’s no question that it’s not as good as the original, I feel like it was possibly rated unfairly because of it’s relation to the original. Regardless of the production woes that plagued the sequel, I still feel like the end result is a good comedy.

Sure, it repeats a good bit of the beats from the original, and sure it’s more “kid friendly” in certain ways, but in all it’s stjll a serviceable comedy. With the passage of time, it’s seems that some reviewers are beginning to come around and see that they may have rated the film unfairly based on the original. Viewing the film almost as a stand alone and putting the outstanding success of the original to the back of your mind, it’s far from terrible. Even Bill Murray, perhaps once the biggest hater of GBII, has come around in recent years and admitted that there are some good segments and jokes throughout the film. In recent years when I watch the film I actually purposefully remind myself to judge it on its own, and as I say, it’s got some fantastic jokes throughout. Dare I say even a couple of the best jokes of Murray’s career.

So anyway, the original will always be the best, but the sequel doesn’t deserve the fierce hatred that it received upon release. With the passage of time, some have come around to “its not so bad”, and I personally agree with that. It’s no Ghostbusters, but it’s also not the worst sequel ever that some made it out to be.

Might have to give the remake another viewing now....
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 03:01 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Maybe it's because I watched GB II more often as a kid than GB, but I have no problem with either movie. Sure, viewing both of them as an adult, II seems a little watered down, but I still like both. I don't get why people would hate it, but whatever floats their boat.

I haven't seen the remake, and have absolutely no plans to.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I haven't seen the remake, and have absolutely no plans to
    It’s worth a shot. I was against it at first, but I’ve seen it a few times now and while it’s obviously not in the same league as the original, it’s not absolutely terrible. Not the same style comedy as the original either, but that should be expected. Like GBII, I think it received some undeserved hate because it’s a remake of a classic. On it’s own it’s okay. I look forward to seeing it again now that it’s been awhile. Will report back on my new thoughts.

Ireland
    'Braveheart'

Mel Gibson's love letter to Scotland is an absolute load of bunkum. A Heavily - with a capital H - fictionalised account of William Wallace's uprising against the English at the end of the 13th century. Gibson's Wallace bears absolutely no resemblance to the real figure in any way at all. Wallace, a man of minor Scottish nobility who was - more than likely - well travelled, (probably) the son of a landowner, geared for the priesthood and had prior military experience is, in the movie, depicted as a low commoner of simple farming stock, who disappears to Europe after his father is killed in an early uprising against English soldiers.

Although, an actual detailed history of Wallace is non-existent and there are more than enough legendary stories from both the Scots and the English which picture him as a hero and a villain, it's certain that Gibson's portrait is entirely a fantasy, with even the people and events the character knows and takes part in being painted with a liberal daub of made up "creativity". Robert the Bruce, for instance, comes in for some serious rewriting as a kind of mentally and morally tourtured Quisling, the battle of Stirling bridge, has no bridge and the battle of Falkirk is portrayed as a malicious betrayal.

On the English side, Edward I is a tyrant and his son Edward II, an effeminate "puff" caricature. While there's definite evidence of Edward I's tyranical tendencies - he was a rampant expansionist, who had invaded Ireland and Wales, was prone to the odd massacre and was known as the "Hammer of the Scots" - Gibson has Patrick McGoohan play him as a semi-Machiavellian Hitler figure, who is casual in his lust for power and violation of other nations. Edward II, his "sodomite son", is played largely for a kind of comic relief and while there are hints that the real life Edward II had a "close" relationship with a man in the Royal Court, actual evidence of a homosexual relationship is nowhere to be found. Into the bargain, Edward II would have been in his early teens when Wallace was campaigning against his father.

Probably the most egrigious retelling of an historical character is that of Isabella of France, as played by the fantastic looking Sophie Marceau. Isabella is a forlorn woman in a loveless, sham, marriage, who has a sexual relationship with William Wallace and gets pregnant by him, in a absurdly scripted section of the film. All of this dubiously forced drama would have been completely impossible, as Isabella was about 3 years old when the battle of Stirling bridge happened!

There little or nothing in Mel Gibson's film that can be said to have happened or remotely transpired and it's a litany of historical sins. Even the title of the film, 'Braveheart' has nothing to do with Wallace. The moniker was actually attributed to Robert the Bruce after his death, who's "brave heart" was carried into battle by the Scots in a ceremonial box.

And yet, it remains a very good and entertaining movie, who's entirely fictional characters are quite compelling. McGoohan makes a great villain, Gibson a great hero and Marceau a great romantic. Elsewhere, there's excellent support from the likes of Brendan Gleeson, David O'Hara, Peter Hanly, James Cosmo and a whole host of English, Irish and Scottish non-stars. The story itself is fine, once the viewer is divorced from the historical record (as it stands) and is very enjoyable, albeit on a very shallow level.

But, where the film shines is in its battle sequences. The two large pitched conflicts are superbly handled and are exciting and horrifying in equal measure. Men are hacked and slashed, battered and smashed in a bloody mess. Everyone gets covered in gore of some sort and it's all excellently done. Horses, too suffer and are shown as battle casualties like never before and the terrifying prospect of a heavy cavalry charge is wonderfully staged, as is the Scots defensive use of improvised spears, hacked from into shape from trees. Flakirk, too, has its "charms" and the twist of betrayal adds an extra layer, which serves as a (clumsy) comment on the fracture of internal Scottish politics of the time.

As an historical film, 'Braveheart' is absolutely worthless. But as a drama, it's an entertaining, oscar winning movie that's as enjoyable as one could expect from such an outing.

7/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I need to give that film another spin. It’s been a very long time and all I can remember is very few select scenes. I imagine it looks gorgeous in HD, as well. I think the last time I saw it was on a double VHS?

I do remember loving James Horner’s score. Amazing stuff....

Super Moderator

UK
    Ghostbusters II(1989)
    So anyway, the original will always be the best, but the sequel doesn’t deserve the fierce hatred that it received upon release. With the passage of time, some have come around to “its not so bad”, and I personally agree with that. It’s no Ghostbusters, but it’s also not the worst sequel ever that some made it out to be.

Might have to give the remake another viewing now....
    I've always loved GB2. I grew up watching both GB flicks and always considered them as parts of a whole. Which one I liked better regularly changed, and so all these years later I still love the movie and hole no ill will against it (not that I ever did). I do recognise how it's very similar to the first movie, but I also recognise that in terms of filmmaker ability - direction, editing, special effects - it's actually superior to the original, which has some scruffy (but loveable) edges to it. GB2, on the other hand, is so sharp from a technical stand point - especially in terms of direction - each scene ends on a perfect 'button' that leads beautifully into the next scene, with perfect use of sound effects, music, and picture editing. The special effects are also superior as they were really pushing boundaries (on a relatively tight budget) for the first movie, not that GB1's effects are bad, but you can see them bumping against their limitations of the time.

As for the remake? Don't do it to yourself.

Even on its own terms - an 'Apatow-like' American comedy - it's sub-par. There's a few snifters of good bits here and there, but the film is so utterly weighed down with crap 'jokes' (the bloody soup, for instance), totally unnecessary musical-ish numbers, childish sexual politics, and a horrendous studio advertising campaign ... the biggest problem the remake has is simple: it's a remake of Ghostbusters. It should have been a belated 'passing the torch' sequel that held the original two as canon in the story. The gags in the originals are superior, working on multiple levels, whereas in the remake it's sodden with those dreadfully self-aware style 'jokes' that too many American comedies force upon themselves in recent years (stating what just happened isn't a joke, for instance). Plot wise it's dodgy, there's few characters to really root for or be interested in (although I've always been a fan of Wiig, and the nerdy gadget-making one was quite likeable ... even if the characterisation was too broad and 'forcefully kooky') ... ... it wasn't an abject disaster of "that's a big twinkie" size proportions, but it was so flawed in so many regards and so far below the bar that was set by the original films that, geez, what a missed opportunity.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Jun-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Ireland
    I need to give that film another spin. It’s been a very long time and all I can remember is very few select scenes. I imagine it looks gorgeous in HD, as well. I think the last time I saw it was on a double VHS?

I do remember loving James Horner’s score. Amazing stuff....
    It's a nice score alright and the main body of the theme can stay in your head for ages. The music has some great swells in a grand Hollywood way. It's difficult not to get swept up in the whole thing.

I have a real love hate relationship with the film though, always had. It's completely ridiculous, almost on an insulting level. But it's terribly watchable. The history part of my brain is always disappointed with me afterwards though.

The bluray is nicely presented and the battles, particularly, look smashing. Chainmail is rendered perfectly and the dull sheen of armour shows up very well. The views of the Scottish landscape look beautiful too. But to be honest, the film draws you in so well, that you wouldn't notice any flaws too readily.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    From Beyond (1986)

Is it just me, or does this film somehow feel more like a sequel to Re-Animator than “Bride” does? I noticed this early on and was reminded of it throughout the film. I’m sure it’s because of the same creative team, it was just kinda weird after having recently watched both the original and “Bride”....

Anyway, I really loved “Beyond”! First time seeing it and it quickly became a beloved staple of the 80’s that I need to purchase. Hopefully there’s a good special edition release out there!

I suppose I need to seek out more of Gordon’s work now. I believe “Dolls” is next. I also noticed that there’s a remake, or new adaptation of Lovecraft’s “From Beyond” story, coming soon from Denis Villeneuve’s(Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) brother...
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Jun-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw "From Beyond" several years ago on MGM HD (when that still existed) and quite enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it moreso the second time around on Blu-Ray. I've got the release from Second Sight (Region B locked, the unrated version). There's a US release from Shout! Factory (also the unrated version), though it has different extras to the one I've got.

It's visually quite lush as a film with all those pinks and blues, and fans of gooey practical effects will have a blast with it. A whole raft of names from the world of gore and monster effects are attached to this film (much like with Re-Animator, Gordon hired various groups for different effects - Nicotero, for instance, worked on this film).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Jun-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's visually quite lush as a film with all those pinks and blues, and fans of gooey practical effects will have a blast with it. A whole raft of names from the world of gore and monster effects are attached to this film (much like with Re-Animator, Gordon hired various groups for different effects - Nicotero, for instance, worked on this film).
    Indeed, there is an abundance of cool effects throughout the film. Not a gripe, but I noticed that they sort of overused the effect of having the close up of the actor’s face when he was part of the monster. In a couple of the shots you can spot the actor’s neck, kind of giving away the design of the effect.

When I heard the sound of the machine in the film, I jokingly started singing “Intergalactic” by The Beastie Boys thinking it was just similar, only to read on the film’s IMBD trivia page afterwards that they’d actually used the sound effect for the song.

Blockers (2018)

Pretty much your basic, run-of-the-mill comedy. Some decent laughs sprinkled throughout with a touch of heart. John Cena is surprisingly better than I’d expected for a former wrestler. It’s worth a time-filler watch, but nothing special.
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Jun-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Dolls

What Stuart Gordon did after Re-Animator. It's not in the same league as Re-Animator or From Beyond, so let's get those levels of expectations out of the way first of all. It's nowhere near as classic as those films, however, it's also a good time (and briskly clocks in under 80 minutes). It has a feel of some sort of Grimm's fairy tale, so don't go looking for logic or complex characters - it's broad strokes all the way - but it has a creepy vibe to it and is well photographed. If you keep expectations in check and just enjoy it on its own terms then it's a short, fun ride.