Page 107 of 173 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ant-Man and The Wasp

Great follow up to the original and exactly the type of film Marvel needed after Infinity War. The laughs continue and rather than the usual “save the world” superhero storyline, it takes a much more personal and centralized approach. I’m afraid to say much more for fear of spoilers, but I recommend the film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Prince Avalanche
    Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch play two guys working as a road crew who paint the yellow lines in the middle of a road that cuts through a huge swathe of land that has been devastated by a wildfire. Character drama with a hint of comedy, it's surprisingly good, even with that lowkey plot and dreadful title. I remembered reading about it in Total Film, but couldn't remember the title whatsoever, and stumbled across it airing on FilmFour. It also features the last role of Lance LeGault, who is perhaps best known by some (such as myself) as Colonel Decker in The A-Team.

Meltdown Memoirs: The Making Of Street Trash
    Naturally, I've recently given the film another spin on Blu-Ray (from 88 Films), and then dug into this two hour doc on the film (previously seen on the 2010 2-disc DVD released by Arrow Video). It gives an extensive look at the entire process of making the film and features some interesting tidbits - for instance: Bryan Singer (yes, the director of X-Men who has seemingly disappeared off-the-scene in recent months) was a production assistant on this film and he gives an on-camera interview about it. Also, apparently the original cut of the movie was clocking in at over two-and-a-half hours, so a lot was cut out, although it's a bit unclear whether that was just some kind of early assembly or whether it really was that long originally. It might explain why the plot seems so scattershot in the actual movie and how various subplots seem to only have the vaguest connection to the main thrust of the flick. You also get to see some extended footage from the film as well as some good bits of behind the scenes stuff.

Super Moderator

UK
    Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later
    In some ways it feels a bit more assured than "First Day of Camp", a bit more settled into the format of an 8-part TV season, and the change-up to 1991 adds a little freshness into proceedings. They seem to dig a bit deeper into the emotional core of some of the characters, which is kinda funny kinda weird in a bizarre comedy such as this, but it works pretty well. Overall I think it's a little bit better than the previous season and has less in the way of filler, and it certainly still slings out some solid gags.

If you enjoyed the movie, it's definitely worth checking out both the prequel series and the sequel series.

Geostorm
    So I've not finished it yet, I watched an hour of it last night to fill in some time after a double bill of the latest Preacher episode and the pilot episode for "Hollyweed" ... anyway, good lord this is a dumb fucking movie. But I've watched most of it now, so I might as well polish off the rest of it. I was interested enough to get beyond the initial 'nah, delete' phase, so it's kind of like 'I want to finish it so the time spent thus far hasn't been entirely wasted'.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’ve been watching F is for Family on Netflix. It’s one of those shows that once you start it, you wonder “how did I not know about this sooner?!?”. I can’t remember a cartoon this funny since Family Guy first started. Stars Bill Burr, Sam Rockwell, Justin Long, and Laura Dern. That’s a really impressive cast for a cartoon, I’d say. Really funny stuff, currently two seasons on Netflix.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I’ve been watching F is for Family on Netflix. It’s one of those shows that once you start it, you wonder “how did I not know about this sooner?!?”. I can’t remember a cartoon this funny since Family Guy first started. Stars Bill Burr, Sam Rockwell, Justin Long, and Laura Dern. That’s a really impressive cast for a cartoon, I’d say. Really funny stuff, currently two seasons on Netflix.
    I've heard good things about it. I've seen Bill Burr on various YouTube videos (Jim & Sam Show), heard him on podcasts etc (Nerdist), and I meant to look this up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've heard good things about it. I've seen Bill Burr on various YouTube videos (Jim & Sam Show), heard him on podcasts etc (Nerdist), and I meant to look this up.
    That’s exactly how I’d heard about it, Burr was on Joe Rogan’s Podcast. I found it surprising how I’ve never seen any other advertisements for the show. Usually Netflix is a promotion monster with their original programming.

The style of comedy is more akin to Burr’s standup, which I enjoy. Not yet finished with the first season, but I’m glad to have discovered it and look forward to more. I’ve also noticed that the show has an overall season story arc, which is pretty unusual for a cartoon series.

Super Moderator

UK
    That’s exactly how I’d heard about it, Burr was on Joe Rogan’s Podcast. I found it surprising how I’ve never seen any other advertisements for the show. Usually Netflix is a promotion monster with their original programming.

The style of comedy is more akin to Burr’s standup, which I enjoy. Not yet finished with the first season, but I’m glad to have discovered it and look forward to more. I’ve also noticed that the show has an overall season story arc, which is pretty unusual for a cartoon series.
    Binged the whole first season yesterday. I dig it. You can tell there's a lot of truth in there, from the 1970s way of growing up ("don't come home before the streets lights come on!") to various scenes that feel like they must have been ripped right out of Burr's life (or the lives of the writers) - e.g. the lone trip to the men's toilet at the football stadium. I also like how they seed in various real life pressures and realities, thus making us care about the characters, whilst simultaneously getting to use outrageous humour. Indeed, the humour feels authentic as it's based on the 1970s way of growing up, so it seems outrageous now but that's just how it was then.

Knocks seven shades of shite out of other 'outrageous animated comedies' like Brickleberry or whatever (well, except for South Park, naturally - but that's a different kind of show in many ways).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Freaks and Geeks Documentary - A&E Network

Freaks and Geeks is a well received comedy and drama that never really found it’s place while airing on TV, but gained a huge following in syndication and home video. This is part of A&E’s Documentary series “Cultureshock”, but also plays perfectly fine as a stand alone doc/special feature release. Perhaps this could end up on a F&G Blu Ray release?? I sure do hope so.

If you’re a fan of the series, you HAVE to see this doc. It’s exceptionally well done. Everyone involved is here, and it’s quite touching.

Dracula - 1931 Spanish Version

If unfamiliar, this Spanish version of Dracula was produced at the exact same time as the classic Universal Bela Lugosi film. The Lugosi crew would film during the day, then at night the Spanish crew would come in and use the exact same sets.

This is my second or third time seeing this version, and I have to say....I really enjoy it. Lugosi’s film is of course one of the all-time greats, but there are certain things that make this version special in its own right. In fact, in certain areas you could argue that it might be slightly superior in a technical way. It’s really neat to see the variations in these two separate films, yet done at the exact same time, same place, just different actors and language.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Jul-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Feckin gas that.

Not that mad about Bill Burr's comedy, but that show is funny. People losing their shit over the slightest things, never gets old. Some of the sayings remind me of my old man. "Put you through the wall", "Close your eyes and shut up" (when you were trying to sleep).

Never even heard of the show til you mentioned it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I've got three more episodes to go and then I'll have both seasons of F Is For Family done and dusted. I think in November the third season becomes available.

Shoot - aye, the exploding over small things is quite funny, the pressure of an annoying world bearing down on a man who just wants some peace and quiet with Colt Luger on the telly (reminds me a little bit of Al Bundy in that sort of respect). And yet, at the same time, the show injects a fair bit of character into the protagonists as well as various challenges (e.g. women in the workplace in the 1970s). The show has a really good mix of serious and silly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Thor: Ragnarok - finally got around to seeing it and really enjoyed it! The 2nd Thor movie was shite, and the first was solid but kinda only okay, but this latest one was awesome. They almost go a bit too far with the 'undercutting moments' where a joke cuts off a serious moment, but they hold it just about right all the way to the finish. Quite good fun, although some of the green screen was painfully obvious at times (a common problem with Marvel movies - so much damn green/blue screen!). My favourite character was Korg - I loved the clash of this stone-bodied gladiator having a gentle and friendly Kiwi voice. Hela was pretty cool too, well played and styled, although a little forgotten about during the Junk Planet section.

The Boneyard - who'd have thought a film featuring a giant, monstrous Phylis Diller and her poodle would be such a slow-moving movie? It picks up in the finale act, but prior to that there's so much clunky exposition and everyone performs their lines so slowly and deliberately, and the way the scenes play out (the actor working the space etc) is so plodding, too. There's various lines throughout the movie that could have been cut or trimmed out to spruce it up, and the characters are pretty weak for the most part (we don't really learn anything about them except for one). There's some good and creepy effects in there, but the big monsters at the end are totally askew with the serious tone of the first part of the movie.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    "The Windmill" - Was really good actually! I liked the premise, and I thought overall it was really well done, and the monster guy looked like a winner from Face-Off or something (not the contestants, but like a winning makeup for a horror category, though maybe a bit like Glenn Hetrick?). Ending was perfect for a supernatural slasher, I think, but the ambiguous fate of one of the characters left me a little unsatisfied. Overall though I recommend it. 7.5/10.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Tom Cruise continues to deliver the fun action and self-performed stunts. The franchise has really found its stride ever since JJ Abrams joined on the third film, which I still feel is probably the best by a hair, but 3, Ghost Protocol, and Fallout are all really good. Rogue Nation wasn’t bad, but didn’t seem to click as well with me, but I was totally sold on Fallout.

I’m hoping the rumors are true of McQuarrie joining Cavill to direct a new Superman movie, as they seem to be a pretty great match. Surprisingly, he made Cavill seem more like Superman than the actual Superman movies. His fight scenes are friggin brutal...
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Aug-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I've heard loads of really good things about the new MI movie. Really looking forward to seeing it. Cavill could make a good Bond once Craig has finished his run. Thoughts?

I saw Game Night and Early Man in the last few days. Enjoyed them both, although neither really manages a home run, but they were both a good way to pass 90 minutes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've heard loads of really good things about the new MI movie. Really looking forward to seeing it. Cavill could make a good Bond once Craig has finished his run. Thoughts?
    I suppose I could see Cavill in the role. As with every time they recast, it will all depend on which direction they’re going to take the series. After successfully resetting the universe with Craig’s films, I feel like they’re going to continue on this path for a good while, and I’m not so sure Cavill would be a perfect fit to pick up the baton from Craig?
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Aug-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: .