Page 111 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

United States
    3:10 To Yuma (1957) 7.5/10

Pretty good western. It was almost worth sitting through the damned commercials to see it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post

Pretty good western. It was almost worth sitting through the damned commercials to see it.
    The remake is one of the very few that are good, IMO. Really, really liked James Mangold’s remake.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) 6.5/10

Two great pictures there.

If you haven't seen 'The Man who Shot Liberty Valance', do so.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Bone Tomahawk
    A western that turns into a horror movie, from the dude who made Brawl In Cell Block 99 - so you know the violence is going to be messed up.

Great cast, good characterisation, interesting themes of manhood and "I got no choice". One part really disturbed me - the troglodite's 'wives'. Remember how flippin' creepy and shocking the mother under the bed in the "Home" episode of The X-Files was? This film goes further on that front and, ugh, really horrifying. Seeing a dude split down the middle arse-first has that over-the-top horror movie gore vibe about it, but the 'wives' ... ... ugh.

Anyway, a good film with a lot of toughness to it.

Speaking of Brawl In Cell Block 99 - did anyone think the gore effects in that were intentionally a bit cartoonish? e.g. the 'no face' moment, the 'popped jaw' moment, and the 'head exploding' moment? I wasn't sure whether it was just a case of the effects not quite working and they didn't have time for another take, or if they were intentionally a bit iffy to be a bit '80s throwback' in style, because in Bone Tomahawk the effects are more realistic in execution.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    If you haven't seen 'The Man who Shot Liberty Valance', do so.
    Yep, that's another good one. It's been a while since I watched it, but I actually have it somewhere around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The remake is one of the very few that are good, IMO. Really, really liked James Mangold’s remake.
    I have a hard time giving remakes a shot since most of them suck ass, but I'll give it a try if I come across it on TV.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Grindhouse

It’d been quite a long time since I’d watched Rodriguez and Tarantino’s salute to grindhouse cinema. Probably pushing close to ten years at this point. So it was nice to see it again after such a long time and I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did the first time it was released! Just a brilliantly fun romp from beginning to end. It’s a real shame that the film didn’t have a bigger impact at the cinema, as I would have loved to have seen sequels every year or two around Halloween.

The blu ray release is also very entertaining and very well worth owning. Commentaries and documentaries for both films, as well as for all the trailers by Wright, Zombie, and Roth. I recommend it as a great purchase. Get the Grindhouse release and not the individual film releases, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    Black Sunday
    Or more specifically the original Italian version "The Mask of Satan". Directed by Mario Bava and starring Barbara Steele. Dripping with gothic atmosphere, there's some genuinely creepy scenes throughout, such as the opening execution of the witch, or the discovery of her tomb a couple of centuries later. I had a quick squizz at the AIP version of the movie (which has the more popular name of "Black Sunday") and it's a few minutes shorter (the original version did drag a smidge) and features more music (no bad thing - a scene where two men fight beside a spike pit lacks any real punch or drama in the original due to a lack of score, but the AIP version has heavily dramatic music playing which really ups the ante. I'll give the AIP version a complete watch sometime down the line. Naturally, being a Bava film, the photography (also by Bava) is excellent.

Grindhouse

It’d been quite a long time since I’d watched Rodriguez and Tarantino’s salute to grindhouse cinema. Probably pushing close to ten years at this point. So it was nice to see it again after such a long time and I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did the first time it was released! Just a brilliantly fun romp from beginning to end. It’s a real shame that the film didn’t have a bigger impact at the cinema, as I would have loved to have seen sequels every year or two around Halloween.

The blu ray release is also very entertaining and very well worth owning. Commentaries and documentaries for both films, as well as for all the trailers by Wright, Zombie, and Roth. I recommend it as a great purchase. Get the Grindhouse release and not the individual film releases, though.
    I love that movie. I've got the standalone DVD releases of "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof" as well as the Blu-Ray release of "Grindhouse". Death Proof gets some flack, but I really dig that movie. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it now, heck, I even read the screenplay of it.

While the movie might have not done too well at the box office in cinemas, it has done better split apart (although that is a shame - those fake trailers are awesome) and it did mean we got a full length "Machete" movie (shame the sequel was a bit lacking and over-stretched, albeit still good fun), and there has been a bit of an explosion in 'grindhouse inspired' movies from low budget indies like "Hobo With A Shotgun" to bigger flicks like the upcoming movie "Upgrade". So it did expose an interest in these kinds of movies (indeed, since 2007 there's been an explosion in exploitation movies getting beautiful HD restorations and prestige Blu-Ray releases), just not an interest in seeing a 190 minute double bill.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Aug-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I love that movie. I've got the standalone DVD releases of "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof" as well as the Blu-Ray release of "Grindhouse". Death Proof gets some flack, but I really dig that movie. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it now, heck, I even read the screenplay of it.

While the movie might have not done too well at the box office in cinemas, it has done better split apart (although that is a shame - those fake trailers are awesome) and it did mean we got a full length "Machete" movie (shame the sequel was a bit lacking and over-stretched, albeit still good fun), and there has been a bit of an explosion in 'grindhouse inspired' movies from low budget indies like "Hobo With A Shotgun" to bigger flicks like the upcoming movie "Upgrade". So it did expose an interest in these kinds of movies (indeed, since 2007 there's been an explosion in exploitation movies getting beautiful HD restorations and prestige Blu-Ray releases), just not an interest in seeing a 190 minute double bill.
    Upgrade is in my list of things to watch, I’m looking forward to it. The Hobo With A Shotgun trailer was actually part of Grindhouse here in the states. I believe it was the winner of a contest, it then played theatrically, and is also on the Blu ray. I haven’t seen the full film, though.

A couple more I’ve gone through lately...

Sharp Objects (HBO series)
    Amy Adams stars as an alcoholic reporter that goes back to her hometown to investigate the disappearance and murder of children. From the author of Gone Girl. Adams is of course fantastic in the role and the series is one of those that really ropes you in from the start. It’s a short eight episodes, so it can be breezed through relatively swiftly. I enjoyed it. Probably 7/10. Adams will no doubt receive lots of accolades come awards season.

Friday The 13th remake
    After recently purchasing the original series, I saw this remake on HBO’s app and thought I’d try it again. For a series as simple as this one, this remake somehow just doesn’t live up to the rest. I can’t really put my finger on why it is that it can’t match up to the original series, it just feels like somethings missing. I’m also not a fan of how they essentially condensed the first four or so entries of the original series into one film. I’d have rather seen a more straight-forward remake of the original film, but I suppose they were rightfully afraid to have a Friday the 13th movie without Jason as the killer, as most people seem to forget that it was Pamela in the original.

It’s not a bad film, per se, it’s just rather dull and lacks the certain edge or spark of the original Crystal Lake entries. 5/10
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Aug-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Sharp Objects (HBO series)
    Amy Adams stars as an alcoholic reporter that goes back to her hometown to investigate the disappearance and murder of children. From the author of Gone Girl. Adams is of course fantastic in the role and the series is one of those that really ropes you in from the start. It’s a short eight episodes, so it can be breezed through relatively swiftly. I enjoyed it. Probably 7/10. Adams will no doubt receive lots of accolades come awards season.

Friday The 13th remake
    After recently purchasing the original series, I saw this remake on HBO’s app and thought I’d try it again. For a series as simple as this one, this remake somehow just doesn’t live up to the rest. I can’t really put my finger on why it is that it can’t match up to the original series, it just feels like somethings missing. I’m also not a fan of how they essentially condensed the first four or so entries of the original series into one film. I’d have rather seen a more straight-forward remake of the original film, but I suppose they were rightfully afraid to have a Friday the 13th movie without Jason as the killer, as most people seem to forget that it was Pamela in the original.

It’s not a bad film, per se, it’s just rather dull and lacks the certain edge or spark of the original Crystal Lake entries. 5/10
    1) I just finished watching "Sharp Objects" as well - a great mini-series! It would have been nice to see a little more sleuthing going on as the mystery of the murders seemed to get a little sidelined, but fortunately all the personal stuff with Camille Preaker and the townsfolk kept it interesting. Really nifty way they edited it together, too, with the ghosts of her past kind of merging into the present via match cuts etc. Top notch dark drama, very involving - highly recommended.

2) I re-watched the Friday the 13th remake a few weeks ago and while I like various parts of it, yeah, it misses something. One thing is it's very slick, another thing is that the director and DoP are the same as the TCM remake, so F13th 2009 takes a franchise that is set in New Jersey IIRC and films it in flippin' Texas! The location move is pretty evident, and filming the movie the exact same way they did with the TCM remake just doesn't work and makes it feel wrong. However, there are certain plus points including Jason, some good kills, and many of the characters having a bit of, well, character about them. It's a shame that the franchise has kind of stalled and stumbled since then with aborted ideas (thankfully that found footage F13th idea died a death), but now with this lawsuit affecting the franchise as a whole it's a bad time for Jason.

Ireland
    Sat through 1 to 4 of the original Friday the 13th's. Jesus, after the first one they suck absolute balls. Rubbish stuff altogether.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sat through 1 to 4 of the original Friday the 13th's. Jesus, after the first one they suck absolute balls. Rubbish stuff altogether.
    Agreed, yet there’s something about them that I find enjoyable and keeps me coming back? I’m not sure what it is, but it’s almost like I find something “comforting” about the series?? I can’t explain it, but I definitely agree that for the most part, the series is pretty much crap.
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Aug-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Woah, hey, let's all calm down here before someone starts flipping tables.

#2 and #3 aren't up there with the first, but Friday the 13th Part IV is awesome and one of the best sequels, if not the best.

Yeah, they're not really clever flicks and they have their formula, but damnit they work and Jason rocks!

#1 - all-time classic slasher flick.
    #2 - Jason's first movie, but a bit weak on blood, and from a film nerd standpoint it's entertaining to see the various rip-off moments from Mario Bava's "A Bay of Blood".
    #3 - Jason gets his mask, fun/silly 3D shenanegans. 3rd act is awesome.
    #4 - awesome sequel, the distinct 'pick up where three left off' lends a certain something to this one as the climax of the 2-3-4 continuity. Great gore, characters with a bit of personality (you actually like a lot of them).
    #5 - this is a weird one, not really Jason, but the kill count is huge ... can kinda tell it was directed by a guy who made skin flicks.
    #6 - again, awesome sequel, loads of fun, Thom Matthews, Alice Cooper music, crackin' stuff.
    #7 - iffy characters, but first time out for Kane Hodder in the best Jason make-up ever seen on film. The third act is filled with stunts and action and maskless Jason looks astonishing. Shame about the MPAA censorship and lost film elements meaning it'll never be seen uncut.
    #8 - the third act, again, is awesome. It's pretty weak on gore, but it's grown on me with each viewing. Kane Hodder (as Jason) punting those punks' ghetto blaster is one of the best moments in the entire franchise.
    #9 - get tae fuck. Decent gore, but seriously, wtf?
    #10 - my opinion of this one has diminished over time because it's so clearly of its time with the smart-ass 'comedy horror' self-awareness schtick that's laid on really thick. Some good moments, but this was the jump the shark moment all over.
    FvsJ - my opinion on this has grown with each viewing, despite the stunt casting of whats'ername from that girl group and the nu-metal needle drops. It's got a lot of really cool ideas going on in there and the comic book nerd style fun of a movie killer smackdown is good fun.
    Remake - a mixed bag, but has a lot going for it in spite of various flaws.

Couldn't resist... It's my favourite slasher franchise.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I enjoy the shit out of the series, but I can still recognize that certain entries or bits and pieces are pretty bad. It’s kind of like Dawn, while lots of people here call blasphemy, I’ve always maintained that there are some genuinely bad sections of that flick. It’s still one of my all-time favorite films.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Agreed. So boring. There's no plot. Just a set-up and then kills. Nothing in it for me.

I do really like Part 6 tho, which incidently is the only one with an unfolding plot.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Woah, hey, let's all calm down here before someone starts flipping tables.

#2 and #3 aren't up there with the first, but Friday the 13th Part IV is awesome and one of the best sequels, if not the best.

Yeah, they're not really clever flicks and they have their formula, but damnit they work and Jason rocks!

#1 - all-time classic slasher flick.
    #2 - Jason's first movie, but a bit weak on blood, and from a film nerd standpoint it's entertaining to see the various rip-off moments from Mario Bava's "A Bay of Blood".
    #3 - Jason gets his mask, fun/silly 3D shenanegans. 3rd act is awesome.
    #4 - awesome sequel, the distinct 'pick up where three left off' lends a certain something to this one as the climax of the 2-3-4 continuity. Great gore, characters with a bit of personality (you actually like a lot of them).
    #5 - this is a weird one, not really Jason, but the kill count is huge ... can kinda tell it was directed by a guy who made skin flicks.
    #6 - again, awesome sequel, loads of fun, Thom Matthews, Alice Cooper music, crackin' stuff.
    #7 - iffy characters, but first time out for Kane Hodder in the best Jason make-up ever seen on film. The third act is filled with stunts and action and maskless Jason looks astonishing. Shame about the MPAA censorship and lost film elements meaning it'll never be seen uncut.
    #8 - the third act, again, is awesome. It's pretty weak on gore, but it's grown on me with each viewing. Kane Hodder (as Jason) punting those punks' ghetto blaster is one of the best moments in the entire franchise.
    #9 - get tae fuck. Decent gore, but seriously, wtf?
    #10 - my opinion of this one has diminished over time because it's so clearly of its time with the smart-ass 'comedy horror' self-awareness schtick that's laid on really thick. Some good moments, but this was the jump the shark moment all over.
    FvsJ - my opinion on this has grown with each viewing, despite the stunt casting of whats'ername from that girl group and the nu-metal needle drops. It's got a lot of really cool ideas going on in there and the comic book nerd style fun of a movie killer smackdown is good fun.
    Remake - a mixed bag, but has a lot going for it in spite of various flaws.

Couldn't resist... It's my favourite slasher franchise.
    Parts 2 & 3 introduced two very important elements that remained permanent staples of the franchise, as you pointed out: 1- Jason himself as the killer instead of his mother, 2- the iconic hockey mask. Having said that, it is also true that all the sequels were very generic, formulaic and derivative of the first film. They are entertaining, but plot-wise they are all pretty much the same thing rehashed over and over: get a bunch of horny young people together at some remote location and have a maniac stalk and slaughter them one by one in ever more gruesome manners. The only variation that was gradually introduced into the franchise which was not in the first few films is Jason's increasingly more apparent "supernatural" nature. In the first few films he appeared to be just some deformed deranged weirdo, who despite his reputation as a "retard" was actually very clever. The few scenes where apparently "supernatural" stuff happened were just dreams/hallucinations. But in the ones that follow he became more and more a virtually indestructible supernatural creature rather than a supposedly mentally-challenged deformed wacko on a killing spree.