Page 113 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

UK
    Dead Next Door (1989) 7.5/10

The Midnight Hour (1985) 9/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Atlanta - Season One

I’d heard great things about Donald Glover’s series over the years, but just now got to it on Hulu. Very funny show. I’d heard it adequately described as “Curb Your Enthusiasm in the world of rap” and that’s totally fitting. At 25 minute episodes, it’s a real breeze to go through a season, too. I recommend it!

Castle Rock - Season One

I’m finding it hard to rate this one, really. It’s not bad by any stretch, it just sort of gives the impression that it should have wrapped up in a more satisfying way. It shows TONS of promise in the early episodes, but doesn’t quite deliver when it’s all wrapped up in the end. That being said, it’s definitely still worth a watch! I’m not meaning to drag it through the mud, it’s a good show and I’ll definitely be tuning into Season Two.

As a weekly listener of the Fatman on Batman podcast, I was also looking forward to this show because of Marc Bernardin’s involvement. His episode turned out great. It was almost like the pride of seeing one of your friends succeed.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Sep-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Green Room
    The 'punk band vs Neo-Nazis' movie, starring Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots, and Patrick Stewart. I'd never really paid this one too much attention before, but a recent episode of Vice Guide To Film brought it back into my mind and it just so happened to be on Film4 the other day. Gave it a spin and I was thoroughly impressed. Slow build tension initially, then tense 'trapped in a building' type horror with sudden moments of icky violence. The Vice Guide To Film episode was about socially aware horror movies of the 2010s, although Green Room wears its awareness quite lightly, it's never about shoving the audience's face in things (e.g. The Purge), but instead Green Room just lets things unfold and allows the viewer to become unsettled over time through little details and gradually ratcheting up the tension and desperation experienced by the protagonists. Well worth checking out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Broadcast News
    I saw this for the first time several years ago and quite enjoyed it, but I don't think it hit with me quite as much as I'd hoped. Gave it another spin the other night and I really got into it. I think it rang a few more bells with me this time, subtle little things, certain gags, the overall tone etc.

Maniac Cop
    I think this was my third viewing of this Larry Cohen/William Lustig movie featuring Bruce Campbell, Tom Atkins, and Robert Z'Dar. Not great, but not bad either, it has it's moments, but it kinda feels like it could have/should have gone a bit further with the action and violence to beef itself up a bit. Plot wise the targets of the titular cop don't have any logic behind them (they're just random victims), so if there'd been more of a story going on with that part it might have been more satisfying. I've not seen the other two movies in the franchise.

Daddy's Home 2
    Christ, that was mediocre...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Dirty Harry Series - Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool

The series is sort of rare in that it doesn’t really have a BAD entry. Some are better than others, but they’re all at least decent. Probably a rare take, but I actually enjoy the second film, Magnum Force, the most out of the bunch. Sure, Dirty Harry is the original and set the tone for the series, but there was something more to Magnum Force with the baddies coming from the police department with Callahan. Regardless of which is my favorite, the entire series is definitely worth viewing! Total classics. 8/10 for the series as a whole.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Dirty Harry Series - Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool

The series is sort of rare in that it doesn’t really have a BAD entry. Some are better than others, but they’re all at least decent. Probably a rare take, but I actually enjoy the second film, Magnum Force, the most out of the bunch. Sure, Dirty Harry is the original and set the tone for the series, but there was something more to Magnum Force with the baddies coming from the police department with Callahan. Regardless of which is my favorite, the entire series is definitely worth viewing! Total classics. 8/10 for the series as a whole.
    I'd say Magnum Force equals Dirty Harry. It's so close to the distinct vibe of the first movie and really feels deeply embedded in the New Hollywood way of doing cinema. The Enforcer starts out well, but kinda fumbles the ball with its iffy bad guys who feel too ill-defined. I re-watched Sudden Impact just a few weeks ago and that one's pretty solid, although it has a distinctly different feel due to the location swap after the first act and it definitely feels right in the depths of the 1980s style. The Dead Pool is fun, but it's also high on the cheese factor and you can feel Harry's getting a bit creaky for this game.

Ireland

The forst two are great. Absolute classics, flaws and all. The third is a bit ridiculous and the villains are absurd, to say the least. But, it redeems itself a bit with Tyne Daly. 'Sudden Impact' never really was able to capture the old spirit, but it was OK. However, 'The Dead Pool' was just awful.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    A Small Favour - Enjoyable black comedy/drama: 7.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The forst two are great. Absolute classics, flaws and all. The third is a bit ridiculous and the villains are absurd, to say the least. But, it redeems itself a bit with Tyne Daly. 'Sudden Impact' never really was able to capture the old spirit, but it was OK. However, 'The Dead Pool' was just awful.
    Stopped after The Enforcer. It was too pretty and I wasn't emotionally invested in it at all. The first two are great, especially Magnum Force which is amazing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hitch-hike
    Franco Nero (Django), Corinne Clery (Moonraker), and David Hess (The Last House on the Left). 1977. It's an Italian thriller (set in America somewhere in the region of Nevada) in which Hess plays an escaped robber with $2 million in a suitcase who hitches a ride with Nero's Italian news reporter (as he is at pains to inform us on several occasions, hehe) and his rich wife (Clery). This came between TLHOTL and House on the Edge of the Park, but it's one of Hess' ghoulish baddies. It's a solid flick, with an intriguing spin for the third act. Maybe just a smidge too long, but not by much. Has a misanthropic kind of vibe to it, so if you're in the right mood it works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Stopped after The Enforcer. It was too pretty and I wasn't emotionally invested in it at all. The first two are great, especially Magnum Force which is amazing.
    At least give Sudden Impact a spin. It does have a different vibe due to the aforementioned location change and the 1980s production era, but I reckon the fourth film was a step-up again after The Enforcer. While SI doesn't regain the heights of the first two flicks, it's worth you checking out just in case you dig it.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 28-Sep-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lots more Magnum Force love than I expected!

Pumpkinhead

I’ve known OF this movie for what seems like forever, but I had no idea what it was or that Stan Winston directed. Great creature effects, but overall I’m at a loss when it comes to this spawning a series? Lance Hendrickson couldn’t even save this for me. Lance and the effects were all that kept me from stopping the movie before it finished.3/10

The Hangover

I don’t think I’d seen this original film since it’s home video release. My friends and I loved it back then, and I’m happy to say I loved it now. Luckily, it’d been long enough that I’d forgotten a lot of the bits, so it still had some unexpected laughs in there. I also did my best to forget about the two inferior sequels so that they wouldn’t interfere with my enjoyment of this original. It’s still great laughs and is a rare example of a comedy catching lightening in a bottle. 8/10

Being that I barely remember them, I’m getting the urge to try the sequels, as well. Even if I do know I’ll be disappointed...

Super Moderator

UK
    Pumpkinhead

I’ve known OF this movie for what seems like forever, but I had no idea what it was or that Stan Winston directed. Great creature effects, but overall I’m at a loss when it comes to this spawning a series? Lance Hendrickson couldn’t even save this for me. Lance and the effects were all that kept me from stopping the movie before it finished.3/10

The Hangover

I don’t think I’d seen this original film since it’s home video release. My friends and I loved it back then, and I’m happy to say I loved it now. Luckily, it’d been long enough that I’d forgotten a lot of the bits, so it still had some unexpected laughs in there. I also did my best to forget about the two inferior sequels so that they wouldn’t interfere with my enjoyment of this original. It’s still great laughs and is a rare example of a comedy catching lightening in a bottle. 8/10

Being that I barely remember them, I’m getting the urge to try the sequels, as well. Even if I do know I’ll be disappointed...
    1) Yeah, I had a similar reaction to Pumpkinhead. I'd heard all this stuff about it but ... meh ... I just didn't get along with the movie for whatever reason. Good effects, mind.

2) The first one is really good fun. I saw it in the cinema with some mates and we all enjoyed it more than we thought we would. The second one is mostly just a lazy repeat of the first minus the naughty charm, and has a really nasty edge to it that saps a lot of the fun (it just becomes gross out). The third one is utter shite.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Leisure Class
    The result and topic of the fourth season of Project Greenlight. Not as awful as I thought it would be. In fact, it's pretty good. It is however greatly ruined by the inclusion of a sole whacky character who is not funny at all but takes up a lot of space. All of the drama is legit good, but the comedy is really bad.

Contamination
    We've all seen it. Glorious early 80's scifi trash. Sci-fi is not big in Italy at all so this is one of the few rare examples of an italian spin on the genre.

The Cat O'Nine Tails
    Again - but with commentary. I enjoy the film. The commentary did not really deepen my appreciation of the film however, which I already love.

M:I Rogue Nation
    Can't remember anything about this one. Except that Ethan Hunt is rogue - again. Is he never NOT Rogue?

Kidnap Syndicate
    Fernando di Leo directed crime film about a rich and poor kid who both get kidnapped. The rich kid is the target and the poor kid is killed by the kidnappers to show they mean business. Cue vengeful father. Pretty damn good film. One of di Leo's better outings, apart from Milano Calibro 9 of course.

A pistol for Ringo
    Ducio Tessari directs this not-quite-so violent spaghetti western. Featuring a breakout performance by Giuliano Gemma. Fairly humorous, and it works. Gemma is a top class performer. Lots of charm. However the suspense doesn't work as well. Nieves Navarre in an early role. Produced by Luciano Ercoli, of whom I'll write more later.

Death Laid an Egg
    I had high hopes on this Giulio Questi helmed giallo but unfortuneately I mostly found myself bored. Maybe I'll revisit it sometime and try to get an appreciation of it. There's a shorter cut of the film on the Nucleus Blu-ray which I imagine I'll enjoy more. For those that don't know; It's a surreal arthouse giallo set on an automated chicken farm. Filled to the brim with bourgeois decadence and experimental editing.

Pieces
    Spanish/American slasher, or perpaps a latter-day giallo? It works as both but the almost complete focus on bloodshed makes me think of it more as a slasher. Absolutely nuts. There's so many crazy things going on in this that I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to have a good laugh.

When worlds collide
    Old 50's sci-fi. Felt like watching it. It was alright.

The Salamander
    Italian/British political thriller with Franco Nero in the lead. Fairly interesting but it's not really my genre. To talky. People who enjoy Tinker Tailer soldier Spy and that stuff might want to check it out.

The Return of Ringo
    Another outing of Ducio Tessari. Despite it featuring the same name of the lead character, and the same actors in similar roles; It's not a follow up to A Pistol for Ringo. It is however a slightly better dramatic film, but all of the humorous charm is gone. I think I preferred the first one, but this one has a higher IMDb rating.

A Man called Ove
    Not quite my tempo, however I work for the company that produced this.

The Mercenary
    My first Sergio Corbuchi western. Not great. A rather weak Franco Nero, a mediocre Tony Musante and a really poor Jack Palance.

Unforgiven
    Amazing film. What's been said that hasn't already? One of the absolute best westerns out there.

Love and Death in the Garden of the Gods
    Sometimes I'll just pick an (to me) unknown giallo out on youtube and watch it. This was one such film. Part giallo, part melodram it was nonetheless something I enjoyed. Really slow burner but I enjoy these kind of films. Pretty sets and a thick sense of mystery and suspense. Crap cinematography tho.

Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion
    For various reasons I found myself wanting to rewatch Luciano Ercoli's three gialli. Mostly because I wanted to revisit the third one, but I decided to rewatch them all. I was very dismissive of this one when I first saw it one and a half years ago. In this thread I said I thought it was dull. Having ploughed through more than a hundred gialli since then and having gained a greater appreciation of the genre I am ready to completely re-evaluate this film. Previously I called it "Dull". I would like to change that. Now I think it's "Great". I now know what kind of film Ercoli is trying to make. This film is one in a long line of suspense based gialli popularized not by Bava or Argento but rather Lenzi and Fulci. As such I really enjoy it. Also, I was wrong before: It looks great.

Death Walks on High Heels
    This one was previously my favorite of the three. It's now relegated to second place. But it is a bit too long and now I find myself enjoying the first part of the film more than the second - the exact opposite from watching the first time around!
    Halfway through our heroine get's offed and the film starts to follow the detective and lover as they both try to find out who did it. While it's not a bad start, and it's a good pay off to the first act, I just enjoy watching the luxurious retreat the two protagonists are having in the first act more now.

Death Walks at Midnight
    Here nothing has changed. My least favorite of the three. While there's a shitload going on, nothing makes sense and it doesn't tie together until all the way at the end. It's like watching 90 minutes of mysterious setpieces that are supposed to build up to some great revelation - however since there's no plot development whatsoever until the very end it all gets old fast. I do not enjoy this one that much, however it does feature some great fashion, setpieces and sets.

Violent Professional
    I rewatched this crime flick by Sergio Martino because I was too drunk last time. It's a really good film!

Star Trek 6
    I've seen it a thousand times, I just felt like watching something I know by heart.

Perversion Story
    Another "suspense giallo", this time by Fulci. One of the absolute better ones. Very unlike Fulci's later 80's splatterfilms. This film is like injecting yourself with late 60's pop and bourgeious drama. Love it.

Hell of the Living Dead
    Crap. It's so shit. It's awful.

Baron Blood
    Bava helmed gothic horror. It's got something, but unfortunately the film would have been much creepier if the monster was not also a main character.

Ireland

Pieces
    Spanish/American slasher, or perpaps a latter-day giallo? It works as both but the almost complete focus on bloodshed makes me think of it more as a slasher. Absolutely nuts. There's so many crazy things going on in this that I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to have a good laugh.
    I seem to remember this being very gory, with an absolutely ridiculous ending.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Contamination
    We've all seen it. Glorious early 80's scifi trash. Sci-fi is not big in Italy at all so this is one of the few rare examples of an italian spin on the genre.

Kidnap Syndicate
    Fernando di Leo directed crime film about a rich and poor kid who both get kidnapped. The rich kid is the target and the poor kid is killed by the kidnappers to show they mean business. Cue vengeful father. Pretty damn good film. One of di Leo's better outings, apart from Milano Calibro 9 of course.

Pieces

Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion
    For various reasons I found myself wanting to rewatch Luciano Ercoli's three gialli. Mostly because I wanted to revisit the third one, but I decided to rewatch them all. I was very dismissive of this one when I first saw it one and a half years ago. In this thread I said I thought it was dull. Having ploughed through more than a hundred gialli since then and having gained a greater appreciation of the genre I am ready to completely re-evaluate this film. Previously I called it "Dull". I would like to change that. Now I think it's "Great". I now know what kind of film Ercoli is trying to make. This film is one in a long line of suspense based gialli popularized not by Bava or Argento but rather Lenzi and Fulci. As such I really enjoy it. Also, I was wrong before: It looks great.

Hell of the Living Dead
    Crap. It's so shit. It's awful.

Baron Blood
    Bava helmed gothic horror. It's got something, but unfortunately the film would have been much creepier if the monster was not also a main character.
    1) Contamination - yeah, that's a fun one, isn't it? A smidge long in Act II, but the first and final acts are chock-full o'goodness.

2) Kidnap Syndicate - not seen this one, but it sounds interesting! The rich kid/poor kid conceit speaks to the social commentary you'd often find in those sorts of films. I'll keep a look out for this one. Ta for the tip off.

3) Pieces - I saw this years ago, so I can't really remember anything about it except for that toilet stall chainsaw death (as that clip seems to be the most-used one from the movie whenever I see it referenced somewhere). Anyway, I just got the Arrow Video Blu-Ray the other day, so I'll be returning to it soon. My previous DVD copy was just beyond terrible, the company (it was an American import IIRC) just slapped out a DVD from a VHS rip from some crappy tape. Hideous pan & scan job on it, dreadful quality etc, which I think negatively affected my original viewing of it. Looking forward to this significant upgrade with the Blu-Ray.

4) Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion - I remember when you originally reviewed it and being surprised you didn't like it. I dug it when I first saw it, so I'm glad you returned to it and found a new experience this time around.

5) Hell of the Living Dead - yeah, I saw this for the first time a few months ago. It's a bag o'shite, isn't it? It's kinda fun in some respects, because it's so bad, but it's also just flat-out bad most of the time. I'm glad I didn't spend any more than six quid on it!

6) Baron Blood - it's a weird one. Bava was trying to 'be modern' as it was the early 70s and gothic castles were on the way out, but his idea of moving with the times was to just have gothic castles all over again, but in the 20th century, with mini skirts and a Coca-Cola machine stuck in there. I wasn't too keen on it when I first saw it. Must give it a second spin sometime and see if my opinion shifts. Funny, really, because Bava went full-blown modern with "Rabid Dogs" just a couple of years later and that's a superb film!