Page 122 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I wasn’t really comparing the stories or attributes of the zombies, just the central idea of the living dead was the only reason I brought them up. It was more that Morgue, while a decent film, didn’t pull me into the world as much as Romero’s films. By the end of it, it was just kind of “meh”, whereas Romero’s really pulled me into the world and made my jaw hit the floor. It wasn’t something I judged the movie on, but the reason for the dead returning was perfectly adequate, and as you mentioned it, I actually prefer Romero’s take that there’s no real explanation given.

It wasn’t a bad film, just wasn’t my cup o’ tea. It’s extemely rare that I can get as involved with zombie films as much as I do the trilogy, anyway. However, this is one of the better non-Romero efforts, I’d say.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Feb-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Swiss Army Man So maybe I'm late to the party here (maybe?!), but I really enjoyed this unusual romp! Really there's not much negative I can say about it. Enjoyable from beginning to end, even though much of it is morbid (shouldn't be an issue for anyone here, I don't think). Eh, I'm sure y'all've already seen it anyway, but yeah! Definitely recommended. Solid 9/10.

Super Moderator

UK
    Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee: Season 5
    This was previously on Crackle, but then Netflix bought it up. I binged all of season five yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The episodes with Dana Carvey, Kate McKinnon, and Alec Baldwin were particular highlights.

Jim Norton: Mouthful of Shame
    Not for the easily shocked or offended, haha. Norton brings his brand of hard-edged, foul-mouthed, shockingly truthful comedy to tackle subjects like childhood and relationships.

The Fundamentals of Caring
    Comedy drama in which Paul Rudd plays a care assistant, running from tragedy and impending divorce, who gets a job looking after Craig Roberts' snarky British teen with muscular dystrophy and a fondness for America's cheesy roadside attractions. They go on a roadtrip to visit some of these sights and encounter a young woman (Selena Gomez) and a pregnant woman who are both heading the same way on their own journeys. I really enjoyed this one, and while certain moments might come off a bit 'twee' for more cynical viewers, it was a nice little story with interesting characters you want to hang around with. Recommended.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Wow, Dana Carvey? Must be running on fumes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

I’ve enjoyed all episodes of Seinfeld’s show on some level. Cool cars, relaxed atmosphere, and some decent chuckles? Can’t go wrong with that, in my book.

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix Series)

I’d waited for the initial big buzz and hoopla to die down before diving into this one. Mike Flanagan, who’s Hush I really enjoyed, is the main force behind this series. Full disclosure: I’m not familiar with the original novel, but I did know Robert Wise’s film, as well as the poor remake with Liam Neeson.

I realllly enjoyed this series. Ghost stories rarely do anything for me, but this one is so well developed with its full series run, that by the end you’ve learned this entire 30-something year timespan of a seven-person family. The cinematography, production design, and general tone of the show are wonderful in so many ways. Every frame is just a feast for the eyes, with of course, lots of chills. All wrapped up in a neat bow and like any great horror film, is about so much more under the surface.

Lovely series, I really don’t see how they could top it, and I hope they leave it as a single one-and-done. James Wans’ Conjuring films are really the only other ghost stories in recent memory that I enjoyed, but I have to say...this topped those films. I feel like all the members here can definitely find things they love with it, check it out. 9/10
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Feb-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Bill Burr: You People Are All The Same
    Yep, I'm now on the Netflix bandwagon and the watch list is already bulging at the seams (yes, Stranger Things is on the list and I'll get to it soon). Anyway, as such I've been able to get access to a whole load of comedy specials that I've been lining up. Jim Norton, Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, Tom Segura.

Anyway, this particular one is from 2012, so it's a while ago now but it's interesting to see his take on certain things like having kids (now that he does actually have a kid), and the little tangents he goes off on, these little vignettes of arguments etc are so well constructed. It's also wonderful to see how he sets up a controversial premise and then absolutely nail the topic with clarity of thought and a boatload of laughs. He teases the audience and it's like he's fishing, trying to land a big mofo, reeling the audience in, letting them get away a bit, reeling them back in again, and then BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Quite the opposite, there's a broad range of guests on from those just rising to stardom all the way through to senior masters of comedy. Plus, Dana Carvey is still touring on the stand-up circuit. He's been out and about a lot recently. I heard him on Conan O'Brien's podcast and he was friggin' hilarious, had me creased up with laughter throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I’ve enjoyed all episodes of Seinfeld’s show on some level. Cool cars, relaxed atmosphere, and some decent chuckles? Can’t go wrong with that, in my book.
    Indeed. It's a great 'hang out' type of show. I enjoy how he picks cars to suit his guest's personality/vibe, and how they meander about doing different things outside of getting coffee, and you get an interesting look inside the mind of comedians but also how the world of comedy works on a more practical level - how they think these things up. The Zach Galifianakis episode from this latest season was really good in that regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes
    A superb four-part crime documentary about the notorious serial killer. The presentation is excellent, from the visual and aural vibe of the show (the stuff with the tapes, the soundtrack) to the use of stock footage. I really liked how they were able to set the tone of the time, so you got a better idea of what places looked like, what the people were like etc etc, you felt situated within that timeframe. Other docs obviously don't have the budget that this did, so you often see recreations shot in the present day in a completely different location (e.g. a series like The World's Most Evil Killers, a UK series which seems kinda low budget with its limited number of talking heads, scant availability of stock material such as photographs and video, and recreations that do the basic job required of them but nevertheless put a layer, a barrier of sorts, between the viewer and the subject at hand) ... ... anyway, The Ted Bundy Tapes does a great job of putting the viewer into the timeframe, but not only that, you get a glimpse into the mindset of the time and Bundy himself.

The juxtaposition of how Bundy thought of himself - and presented himself circa 1980 when the main tapes were recorded - is fascinating as his psychopathy, sociopathy, and narcissism are writ large. The use of news bulletins and court videos of the time are also the perfect way to transport the viewer into the time and place - e.g. the bizarre but absolutely real thing whereby women came from all over America to witness court hearings in Florida. Seeing the vox pops with them afterwards made it all the more strange as their mix of fascination, fear, and even attraction spill forth as they talked. That alone speaks volumes about how Bundy used charisma and his outward persona that he manufactured and wielded like a weapon in itself. That was his whole shtick - disarming other people so he could strike, whether that be killing his victims or exploiting lax security to escape custody twice. And even after all that there he is in court getting the journalists and onlookers laughing uproariously.

It's all the more fascinating, then, when you see him lose control of his manufactured senses. The times when he snaps and you see the monster peek out from behind the blue eyes and handsome looks, or the times when he can't resist himself (e.g. those barely contained smirks, or when he gets a detective to describe a crime scene in explicit detail). All these moments he simply couldn't resist and they flew in the face of all his intentions and big talk about beating the system and being smarter.

So yeah, an absolutely fascinating documentary series, even though I already knew a fair bit about Bundy from books, docs, and even that fairly lurid movie from the early 2000s (originally called "Bundy" then re-titled "Ted Bundy") during that little heyday of serial killer movies (Ed Gein, The Hillside Strangler, Gacy, Dahmer etc). The sense of context to it all is about the best I've seen, except it would have been good to get a little more of a look inside Bundy's early life (we only get brief glimpses - e.g. his illegitimacy, his speech impediment, his lack of social skills, that he was initially raised by his Grandparents who told him they were his Parents, the rumours and mystery surrounding his biological father). I see that Netflix have obtained the distribution rights to the Zac Efron movie "Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile" (the reference to the Florida Judge's reckoning of Bundy's crimes makes sense, but geeeeeez what a clunky title!!!) ... so I'll be very interested to see that as it's directed by the same guy who directed The Ted Bundy Tapes.

Tom Segura: Disgraceful
    Yep, making my way through some Netflix comedy specials. Similar to Burr, Segura treads into some spicy territory, but he does it in a completely different way and style, but still with the same result - well crafted bits, intelligence, and most importantly of all: hilarity.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Feb-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I quite enjoyed the Bundy doc, as well.

Overlord

I feel like everyone should already know from the trailer whether you’re in or out with this flick. WWII US Paratroopers discover Herbert West’s dream lab in a Nazi base. That’s pretty much it. If you’re in for this 80’s B-movie with an A-movie budget, you practically know before the first frame rolls that you’re taking the ride.
    If you’re into that combination of dark fun, you’ll enjoy it. 8/10

Coincidentally, we were recently discussing Wyatt Russell, who is one of the main stars, and now that I know his lineage.....all I can see is Kurt! He has so many lines in this film where I’m thinking “yup...that’s Macready/Burton/Plissken/etc!”
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Feb-2019 at 02:21 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Love
    Gaspar Noe's 2014 drama in which an American living in Paris, now stuck in a relationship he doesn't want to be in, gets a phone call informing him that his ex is missing. He goes on a drug-fuelled journey of memories about that past relationship which he now longs for. The viewer can have very, very little sympathy with the protagonist as he pretty much does everything he can to screw up the relationship he's pining for by lying and cheating and generally not engaging a single brain cell, plus his general hypocrisy (how dare she enjoy the sex club he insisted on bringing her to!) ... ... however, despite these elements, you do find yourself getting pulled in during the far more intimate moments. Now, when I say "intimate", I'm not meaning the full blown unsimulating sex scenes that permeate the majority of the movie, I'm talking about the tender moments, the contact, the peaks of love etc.

Visually it is generally quite stylish, although it's nothing like the bravado visuals of "Enter the Void" (which is curiously referenced with the model of that film's 'Love Hotel' sitting on a table in the protagonist's bedroom in this movie), but Noe's keen eye shines. There's some interesting 'needle drop' soundtrack choices, too - including Goblin ('School at Night' from Deep Red) and John Carpenter (the main theme from Assault On Precinct 13 scores the sex club sequence) - which show off Noe's cinematic taste, which also extend into the character of Murphy, a film student studying in Paris.

The film does get a little indulgent at times - e.g. when Noe namechecks himself (Murphy wistfully wants to call his future son "Gaspar", while Elektra's ex-boyfriend is called "Noe") - but at times it suggests some personal truth mixed up in all this (Murphy's favourite film is 2001, which is one of Noe's key influences, and the character also wants to make a film about relationships that marries "love" and "sex" in a totally honest way ... so, in other words, what Noe is doing with this very film).

There's an intriguing clash between the 'casual sex' vibe of France's culture versus infidelity, and while it's quite unusual to see a film deal with love and sex in such an upfront manner (the film's first scene is a long static shot of Murphy and Elektra wanking each other off to completion), you do find yourself getting sucked into the honesty of it. That said, there are times when Noe simply can't help himself and he gets rather cheeky - such as a CGI 'insertion from the inside' moment, like a hangover from a similar moment in Enter The Void feels mis-placed, and I bet Noe was cackling like a naughty prankster when conceiving the shot of a todger being wanked-off (again, to completion) directly into the camera/audience's face!

It was a bit irritating when Netflix, as it is wont to do, minimised the end credits to a farty little box in the top left while it encouraged me to watch some other movie that it was going to auto-play in 20 seconds ... I hate that shit, especially as the end credits of "Love" linger over a very intimate moment of melancholy that the viewer wants to ride out till it fades to black.

Dana Carvey: Straight White Male, 60
    A comedy special from a couple of years ago. Heading into this having just finished watching "Love" a couple of minutes prior probably wasn't the best idea, lol, as I had to shift my vibe entirely, and while structurally this special isn't maybe quite as strong as it could be, I still got some good chuckles out of it once Carvey gets on a roll (e.g. when he's talking about his teenage son). The topics kinda bounce around a little bit, so the throughline from start to finish is a bit scattergun, but Carvey fans will find plenty to enjoy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^Netflix varies from platform to platform, but you should be able to click back onto the movie and finish the credits.

Banned
    Banned User

United States

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix Series)

I’d waited for the initial big buzz and hoopla to die down before diving into this one. Mike Flanagan, who’s Hush I really enjoyed, is the main force behind this series. Full disclosure: I’m not familiar with the original novel, but I did know Robert Wise’s film, as well as the poor remake with Liam Neeson.

I realllly enjoyed this series. Ghost stories rarely do anything for me, but this one is so well developed with its full series run, that by the end you’ve learned this entire 30-something year timespan of a seven-person family. The cinematography, production design, and general tone of the show are wonderful in so many ways. Every frame is just a feast for the eyes, with of course, lots of chills. All wrapped up in a neat bow and like any great horror film, is about so much more under the surface.

Lovely series, I really don’t see how they could top it, and I hope they leave it as a single one-and-done. James Wans’ Conjuring films are really the only other ghost stories in recent memory that I enjoyed, but I have to say...this topped those films. I feel like all the members here can definitely find things they love with it, check it out. 9/10
    I've seen that recently! The new Hill House I mean. It was fantastic, and I agree with all of the above! Me and my gf absolutely loved it.

Super Moderator

UK
    ^Netflix varies from platform to platform, but you should be able to click back onto the movie and finish the credits.
    Oh aye, I can, but it's annoying that I have to do it at all ... why can't it wait until I've completely finished the movie? Why does it have to be so obnoxious about it with this huge advert for what's playing next (regardless of whether I want to see what they're pushing or not) ... it's just silly and irritating, like when you click on a programme to read about it and it automatically plays the damn thing. It's silly and annoying and there should be customising options for these things but there aren't.

I clicked back onto the credits, of course, but I shouldn't have had to do it at all and it totally breaks the moment. It's like if you're watching a really emotional scene and you're all into it and then someone comes chuntering down the corridor whistling a merry jingle, or some twat in a car comes barging past playing shite music.

United States
    Last Train From Gun Hill (1959) 7/10

Kirk Douglas tries to bring his wife's killers to justice. Pretty good old western. Parts of it were similar to 3:10 to Yuma.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Skate Kitchen - Surprisingly good! I'm of course biased as a girl skater myself, but this movie surprised me. Much better than any other skate film I've seen (still missing a few, but eh), in at least the reality department. Pretty much everything seemed believable as was good representation of the NYC scene. Been stoked on this since it was released I think last Autumn, but only just now caught it on hulu. Definitely worth a watch if you want to see skateboarding, or female-focused melodrama (it does get heavy). Also Jaden Smith is in it?! 6.5/10.

Super Moderator

UK
    Greg Davies: You Magnificent Beast
    Yep, another Netflix comedy special. This time it's the 6ft 8" British comedian who is otherwise known for UK comedy shows like The Inbetweeners, Man Down, and Taskmaster. Davies has a lot of fun on stage and really knows how to sew together his anecdotes and choice cuts of commentary from the weirder members of his friends and family. He's got an affable sort of presence on stage, too, so you always feel welcomed into his performance as if you're down the pub sharing funny stories.

The Late Bloomer
    Directed by Kevin Pollak, this based-on-a-true-story comedy is about a 30 year old man (who writes self help books about chanelling sexual energy into other more productive ventures) who never went through puperty because of a tumor on his pituitary gland. After it gets removed he goes through all the usual trials and tribulations of puberty while trying to figure out his love life for the first time. There's some really funny moments in the movie and some game performances, but it does feel as if there was a better film on the table that just got missed. Whether that comes down to script choices or editing choices, I'm not entirely sure, but the movie does stumble on occasion. I was quite looking forward to seeing it, so perhaps my expectations were higher than they should have been, but even with its flaws it's a fun watch.

Cropsey
    2009 documentary about the infamous Staten Island folklore that turned out to be, kind of, true. It focuses on several kidnappings (and in one case confirmed murder) of children during the 1970s and 1980s, with a particularly oddball individual from the area who used to work at the notorious Willowbrook State School (the one that Geraldo Rivera exposed). The examination of an enraged community seeking to find closure amidst tragedy - despite the inconvenience of so much of the truth remaining evasive or unclear - is fascinating. It's just under an hour long and feels like it could use a little more time to explore a few aspects of the overall story. Enthusiasts of urban exploration and modern folklore should find plenty to be interested by.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I've seen that recently! The new Hill House I mean. It was fantastic, and I agree with all of the above! Me and my gf absolutely loved it.
    I went back to give it a second viewing, being able to focus a bit more on the filmmaking aspect of it, and it’s definitely one of those films/series that when you go back for more, you’re wondering how you couldn’t piece it together a bit faster the first go round? I’m still loving the second run through, but it’s one of those that definitely changes after that first run.

Still, it comes highly recommended by me! I’m absolutely in love with the craftsmanship on this series. The gorgeous sets, inventive camerawork, hidden scares that exist unrelated to the scene at hand, the long takes that weave around an entire soundstage set with 10+ characters interacting with the camera and crew around them?? It’s like a friggin dance number! Really interesting stuff! I would’ve loved to been on set for this show!

Netflix needs to start adding special features to their original programming!!
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Feb-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: .