Page 123 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    'Das Boot'

An extremely poor updating of the cracking original from 1981, which remains one of the best (if not the best) fictional dramas about WWII. Although, this version is more about ripping off the famous title than actually remaking the classic Wolfgang Petersen TV show/film. The producers only use the title, 'Das Boot' because nearly everyone knows it and they want to piggyback on it's fame. But, 2018's 'Das Boot' is more about the goings on in port, than at sea and the actual boat of the title is reduced to a mere "subplot" .

And subplots are a plague on this new TV show, reducing it to a lamentable series of melodramatic mush, involving unconvincing French resistance nonsense and spending far too much time on the character played by Vicky Krieps as she surreptitiously manoeuvres around a Gestapo officer, helps Jews and has a tacked on lesbian affair with the head of the resistance group. Why all of that is in a supposed drama about a U-Boat, I don't know, and it continually drags the story away from its ostensible titular focus. If the producers wanted to make a drama about the French Resistance in La Rochelle, why didn't they just do that?

It's also laced with English speakers. Nearly every major character breaks into English at some point in the most inexplicable way and it's incredibly irritating. Of course, this is done to appeal to an English/US market by Sky, but it's infuriating nonetheless. There were more English speakers in La Rochelle in 1942 than there were in Portsmouth it seems according to this show.

But, the absolute worst sin of this TV series is its depiction of the U-Boat crews, who are simply ridiculous. There is no discipline, everyone fights with everyone else, there's an absurd mutiny aboard U-612 and none of them are even a vague representation of the real men who crewed the U-Boats during the war.

All in all, it's a complete travesty.

1/10

'Shane'

The well known 1950's western that sees a troubled gunfighter, who wants to forget his past, befriend a homesteader family who is under pressure to up sticks and vacate their land because of a ruthless rancher who believes he has a bigger right to it.

Finding myself more agreeable to the "revisionist" westerns myself (although I'm not really a fan of the genre at all), 'Shane' is about 20 years too early for my tastes generally. But, the film is a bolted on classic that deserves the title and despite some awkward period trappings - if you knock ten shades out of a guy, he'll respect you and all your problems can be solved with a gun - 'Shane' still lives up to its movieland status as one of the best westerns ever made.

It's well acted by everyone, with Alan Ladd (Shane) and Van Heflin (Joe Starrett) coming off as genuine men forming a believable bond and George Steven's direction does a lot to add to the basic story that may have been absent in the hands of another director of the period. It's also got its fair share of great, familiar faced, character actors, like Elisha Cook Jr, Ben Johnson and the always watchable Jack Palance as a nasty piece of hired trouble.

But, what's most interesting about 'Shane', is that despite its surface layer white hat/black hat simplicity, there's an attempt to add grey area to the story, which was unusual for the time. Although there are definite "bad" guys, they have genuine motive for their actions, as elaborated on during a scene where Ryker (the ruthless cattle merchant) explains why he wants to get rid of the homesteaders that are on "his" land and that are interfering with the open range. His reasoning being that he and his family/friends were the ones who "tamed" it years before anybody else moved in and that the homesteaders get in the way of the natural resources that the range provides, by fencing off their own little areas.

His argument is clearly countered by Starrett, who correctly points out that the Indians and trappers were here long before Ryker and the other pioneers were and that the land wasn't tamed by him at all as he's essentially just passing through. It's a small, but important scene that gives everyone more depth than the usual Hollywood western tropes provide.

'Shane' is not only a great western, but a great film, which has had an enormous impact, not only on other westerns, but on films outside of that bracket too, and it's fully deserving of its place in cinema history. It's beautifully shot as well and makes good use of its Wyoming surroundings, which look fantastic on the Warner Blu Ray and I've never seen the film look as good.

To some, it may seem a little clunky here and there because of the time it was made in - and Brandon DeWilde's Joey can be a little irritating - there's still an awful lot to it that makes for truly satisfying viewing today.

9/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Very touching documentary on Fred Rogers and Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. Featuring one or two folks from Romero’s circle, as it was a Pittsburgh program. I watched his shows on PBS as a kid, so that may make me a touch biased, but I really, really adored this doc. Very uplifting retrospective, brought me to tears a couple times, but still such a positive and feel-good end result that you’re very likely to think about making some changes in your own life. On HBO Now. 10/10

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Roma - Go see it. It's fantastic. I can't think really of anything I found wrong with it. Just a masterfully crafted film. First thing I've seen from Cuaron, and I believe he's like one of the best directors of our time, right? It's what I heard, anyhow. Point is, it's worth a look. Content warning for stillbirth, full frontal male nudity, divorce, child endangerment on the beach, dog shit, police brutality, furniture murder, black and white artsiness, Mexico, and children. Children appear in this film. And dogs. It's glorious. 9/10.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^Check out Cuaron’s Children of Men! Beautiful film. If you’re into his technical achievements, Gravity is also a must. See it on the biggest, clearest, and loudest screen possible. Breath taking.

Not a review really, but I’ve been giving The IT Crowd another spin. Funny stuff!
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Feb-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^Check out Cuaron’s Children of Men! Beautiful film. If you’re into his technical achievements, Gravity is also a must. See it on the biggest, clearest, and loudest screen possible. Breath taking.

Not a review really, but I’ve been giving The IT Crowd another spin. Funny stuff!
    Oh yeah! I forgot I'd already seen Gravity and that was by him. Truly marvelous. Children of Men? I'll see if I can find it somewhere. Thanks bass!

Super Moderator

UK
    First Man
    The story of Neil Armstrong and the space race. I loved all the little details scattered throughout - e.g. Neil ready to be fired into space and he's looking around at the structure of this vessel. All the screws and welds and so on, which grounds it all in reality - a glorified tin can, essentially, and you're about to do something extraordinary. The flight sequences and all the stuff in space is excellent, of course, but it's also good to see a lot of emotional stuff in this movie affecting not only the astronauts but their wives and kids back home.

There was a bit of a flash-in-the-pan fuss on (where else) Social Media about how you don't see the planting of the flag on the moon, but when you actually watch that sequence you can instantly tell why it's not shown - because it's not about a paint-by-numbers history walkthrough, no, instead the scene is all about emotion and wrapping up an arc of a father grieving for his dead child. Indeed, that 'quiet, restrained man of the 1960s' vibe not only works for the story but it also maintains the 'truth of the time'. Men in the 1960s weren't all open-hearted and sharing their feelings, that simply wasn't the culture, and Armstrong seemed to be a guy who was quite reticent and kinda remote anyway.

I really dug the movie.

Marc Maron: Too Real
    A Netflix comedy special. It kicks off with a segment all about Trump etc, which is a bit wearing as I hear plenty about that freak of nature in day-to-day life, but once he moves back onto topics of his own life and mortality it really picks up.

Bill Burr: Walk Your Way Out
    Yep, another Netflix comedy special. Again, great stuff that shows off the man's masterful ability to play with the audience, to set up a controversial opening premise and then absolutely nail it in an unexpected way that inverts the opening premise while also skewering social media bullshit, pious expectations, and what people are thinking but not saying. There's a couple of really great bits in this one including one about a Gorilla that speaks sign language, and another about the 'Hall of Fame of evil'.

I love that show. One of our (newer) classic UK sitcoms. Have you seen Father Ted? That's an earlier Graham Linehan sitcom and it's just as awesome.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’d heard of it, but haven’t come across it yet. I was going to go back to Mighty Boosh because of the Fielding connection, but I’ll seek out Father Ted now...

Speaking of....just recently seen that they attempted a US remake of IT Crowd with Joel McHale that never made it past the pilot stage. What really caught my attention was that Moss was still played by the same actor! Even though the remake wasn’t picked up(probably a good thing), I can’t recall another UK-to-US remake that actually used the same actor?

Btw....I love all of Burr and Maron’s Standup Specials.....but I just can’t remember which is which?!? Is Too Real the one where talks a lot about his hypochondria as a younger man? Funny funny stuff!
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Feb-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I’d heard of it, but haven’t come across it yet. I was going to go back to Mighty Boosh because of the Fielding connection, but I’ll seek out Father Ted now...

Speaking of....just recently seen that they attempted a US remake of IT Crowd with Joel McHale that never made it past the pilot stage. What really caught my attention was that Moss was still played by the same actor! Even though the remake wasn’t picked up(probably a good thing), I can’t recall another UK-to-US remake that actually used the same actor?

Btw....I love all of Burr and Maron’s Standup Specials.....but I just can’t remember which is which?!? Is Too Real the one where talks a lot about his hypochondria as a younger man? Funny funny stuff!
    You'll be glad you looked up Father Ted, I'll tell ya. It's a classic UK sitcom and if you dug The IT Crowd I'm sure you'll dig Father Ted.

Yeah, I heard about that American remake pilot (and was just as stunned that Ayoade starred in it, too!), but oof, the Americans so rarely manage to pull it off. The IT Crowd is in so many ways specifically British in its sensibilities and style. The Office, meanwhile, is a much broader concept that goes around the world (people working in offices). Other failures to translate include The Inbetweeners (six episodes and then ditched), Spaced (the notorious shit storm that was the failed pilot directed by feckin' McG), and Red Dwarf (I think they tried twice to do a pilot of that, but again they just didn't get it - Lister is supposed to be a slob, but they cast Craig Bierko who's a handsome chap!) Barmy.

"Too Real" ... it's the one where he talks about being too old/not having much time left to get into new things or watch shows he's never heard of that air on streaming services he's never heard of, and how he got a new "kit-ten" and his reaction was one of begrudging obligation and stress.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ I’m a handful of episodes in and enjoying it!

What We Do In The Shadows

This is about my fifth time watching since it’s release, and I still burst out laughing and see new little jokes everytime! If anyone hasn’t heard of it, this is a mocumentary from Taiki Waititi and Jermaine Clement in which a documentary crew follows a group of New Zealand flat mates that are all Vampires from different eras of history. I really, really admire this flick. I hear Waititi is developing a new tv series with the concept, but I imagine it’s going to be hard to capture that same lightning in a bottle again. Seek this out if you haven’t seen it, you won’t regret it. Probably in my top five comedies of the last ten to twenty years. Streaming on Amazon Prime. 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAZEWtyhpes

Love, Gilda

Documentary on the life and career of legendary comedienne Gilda Radner. Of course you get lots of laughs from the National Lampoon and SNL actress, but what really sets this doc apart from most others is that Gilda kept a constant diary throughout her life and also recorded some of it in audio, so she basically narrates her own docuementary after having passed on. It’s the most in-depth conversation on the pros and cons of stardom that I can remember. Through her own words, you see exactly why a lot of performers tend to shy away from that life of stardom, while still craving it, and what kind of tolls it can have on a person. Fantastic doc and a must-see for any fan of comedy. Currently on Hulu. 9/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPMSlpkQPU4
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Feb-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Ghost Stories
    From Jeremy Dyson (The League of Gentlemen) and Andy Nyman (Severance), this anthology horror film is based on their very successful stage show. A debunker of paranormal events is presented with three 'unsolved' cases by his childhood hero (a fellow debunker now turned believer), which he then investigates to see if they're true or not. The three tales have plenty of creep factor and some good chills as the directors play with the audience, although they do feel a bit lacking (you kinda end up going "was that it?" in terms of each of the three cases) ... however, the movie has a shift in the third act which makes it all pay off in the end.

Office Christmas Party
    Despite the cast filled with names, and the potential raunch and hilarity that the title suggests, this comedy is thoroughly mediocre. I got about three chuckles out of it, unfortunately.

Christina P. "Mother Inferior"
    Aye, back to the Netflix comedy specials again. She's married to Tom Segura and co-hosts the podcast Your Mom's House (which I recently discovered - they do them as audio but also video on YouTube because of the frequent use of video clips in their bits and it's well worth checking out). There's a really good bit in there about 'The Greatest Generation', 'Baby Boomers', 'Generation X', and 'Millennials'.

Joe Rogan: Triggered
    This one was from a couple of years before "Strange Times", but is just as hilarious as he delves into hot button topics to give them his own unique spin, but it's not all controversial subjects as he also has an extended bit all about cats vs dogs that had me cracking up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ Rogan tends to discuss cats and dogs a lot in his standup and podcast, doesn’t he? His rants about the insanity of humans taking the planet’s most ferocious hunters and turning them into fat, overly dramatic assholes always keeps me laughing.

Just out of curiosity.....now that you’ve joined the cult of Netflix, any idea when you may start Stranger Things? I’m wanting to give it another spin before the new season hits, so thought I could maybe time it up appropriately with your first round and I’ll have it refreshed in my mind for discussion....

Ireland
    ^

LOL, I still haven't seen the second series of that. No idea what my aversion is to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yet, I'll happily sit and watch old 'Starsky and Hutch' episodes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ^

LOL, I still haven't seen the second series of that. No idea what my aversion is to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yet, I'll happily sit and watch old 'Starsky and Hutch' episodes.

I think everyone has those old shows that are silly, yet for whatever reason they’re fun to watch!

No spoilers, but I was quite happy with Season Two of “Things”. The Duffer brothers managed to hit a good balance of retaining what made the first season work, while also expanding and taking the story into new directions.

Season Two is also in 1984 and has lots of Ghostbuster references, so I’m sure MZ will enjoy that, as well! They’ve said Season Three is 1985 and Back to the Future will be featured.

Ireland

I think everyone has those old shows that are silly, yet for whatever reason they’re fun to watch!

No spoilers, but I was quite happy with Season Two of “Things”. The Duffer brothers managed to hit a good balance of retaining what made the first season work, while also expanding and taking the story into new directions.

Season Two is also in 1984 and has lots of Ghostbuster references, so I’m sure MZ will enjoy that, as well! They’ve said Season Three is 1985 and Back to the Future will be featured.
    Pffft Ghostbusters? What's that?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quite the classic!