Page 126 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oooh, I need to look out for that one!^ Sounds good.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (Netflix Original Documentary)
    Most people probably heard about this trendy festival and it’s ultimate failure, as it got a fair amount of news coverage. This doc goes into detail on the festival from conception to the resulting court cases. It’s amazing how much of disaster this thing really was! A total scam from start to finish, and the story is totally engrossing. Highly recommended.

Cocaine Cowboys
    I revisited this older doc, as it’d been a good while since it was initially released. It has some dated techniques, but they fit good with the time period. I feel like most people have already seen this tale of the South Florida drug trade of the eighties, because it made quite a splash when released. Fantastic doc, also highly recommended! I caught it on Hulu.

- - - Updated - - -

Behind The Curve (Netflix Documentary)
    Want a good belly laugh? Watch this doc on the people who believe the Earth is flat. It’s mind boggling how these people act and defend their beliefs! Just watch the quick Netflix trailer before you select the play button and it’ll show you what kind of morons the doc deals with. It’s just....yeah....it’ll hurt your brain to the point that you don’t know how to discuss it, but you’ll also laugh at the absurdity of it all.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Mar-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Behind The Curve (Netflix Documentary)
    Want a good belly laugh? Watch this doc on the people who believe the Earth is flat. It’s mind boggling how these people act and defend their beliefs! Just watch the quick Netflix trailer before you select the play button and it’ll show you what kind of morons the doc deals with. It’s just....yeah....it’ll hurt your brain to the point that you don’t know how to discuss it, but you’ll also laugh at the absurdity of it all.
    Yeh great isn't it. I've been down the Flat Earth youtube video rabbit hole quite a few times, so I was more than familiar with many of the faces featured.

The levels of paranoid Dunning-Kruger denial is epic!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh great isn't it. I've been down the Flat Earth youtube video rabbit hole quite a few times, so I was more than familiar with many of the faces featured.

The levels of paranoid Dunning-Kruger denial is epic!
    “We’re winning against science because they just throw math and numbers at us, while we point to an object in the distance and say, if the Earth were round, we shouldn’t see that object in the distance!”

Ummm....come again, buddy?!?

Super Moderator

UK
    The Degenerates - a six-part comedy special series from Netflix. Shot in Vegas, it features six half-hour stand-up sets by comedians like Big Jay Oakerson, Christina P, Brad Williams, and Joey Diaz (the other two - Liza Treyger and Yamaneika Saunders - I'd personally not heard of before). The easily offended absolutely need not apply, as the title should suggest. They each delve into controversial topics and dredge up some hilarious near-the-knuckle 'what line?' comedy, but all of it in a smart way (i.e. not just saying random stuff to be offensive, but actually crafting good jokes using 'dangerous' topics to build a premise around).

I'm kinda interested but also kinda not interested in seeing Behind The Curve, because on the one hand it's morbidly fascinating, while on the other hand I have the feeling it'll literally kill brain cells just by stupidity osmosis.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    “We’re winning against science because they just throw math and numbers at us, while we point to an object in the distance and say, if the Earth were round, we shouldn’t see that object in the distance!”

LOL! That's one of the most self-defeating "arguments" ever. In fact, if the object is distant enough from your position, you will not see it, which proves that the Earth is indeed round, the very thing they are trying to deny.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Oh wow.

I have to watch that.

Is it purely an American thing or are there flat earthists from...ahem...around the world involved?

Seriously though, flat earth in 2019.

Last edited by shootemindehead; 06-Mar-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yup, and that’s only one small example of the countless brainless defenses heard in the documentary...

Annie Hall
    It’d been years and years since I’d viewed Woody Allen’s classic comedy, so I was pleased to be laughing along with it all over again. Allen’s style can often rub people the wrong way, and I just completely separate his personal life issues from his professional efforts, but his neurotic behaviors with this relationship plot still work very well. While watching I couldn’t help but wonder what sort of issues some of the overly sensitive young people of today would come up with if they viewed this film.

Aquaman
    As I had suspected, the film loses part of it’s appeal transitioning from the silver screen to home viewings. Much like Avatar, the film mainly succeeds through it’s spectacle and technical achievements, so it’s not quite as impactful in that department on the small screen. Viewing the special features on this home release is very interesting, however. I wish the featurettes were edited into one long documentary, but even in their shorter form they’re quite inspiring to see what sort techniques and technical achievements they were able to pull off. As mentioned, this film is like Avatar in that it’s endlessly entertaining if you’re into the sort of puzzle piece work of using a wide range of different filmmaking techniques to bring the whole spectacle together.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Mar-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened - I knew it was a shit show from the headlines and few images I saw, but wow, I didn't realise it was this much of a shit show!!! I don't know what's more unbelievable, the way Billy carried on or Ja Rule describing himself as a "media mogul". There's a couple of nice needle drops of Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross music from one or two David Fincher movies in this one. The one at the very end is "Like Home" from Gone Girl and fits in perfectly with the tone. They could otherwise call this "Schadenfreude: The Movie".

A Fish Called Wanda - co-written by and starring John Cleese, this crime caper also stars Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, and Kevin Kline. It's a little slow initially, but once it settles into a groove you sink right into it and the hilarity ensues. There's some brilliantly farcical scenes once the film finds its mojo.

Behind The Curve - okay, so you convinced me to watch this, bassman ... the morbid curiosity won out ... ... ... ... ... bloody hell. Aside from the exceptional amount of narcicism and wilful ignorance sweeping through this documentary's subjects like a tidal wave, there's some very telling moments that centre around the psychology of these individuals. The fascination and absolute belief in a whole range of conspiracies (including chem trails, 9/11, and anti-vax bullshit) comes as no surprise, but what was also quite interesting was their respective "outsider" status in their various walks of life (people who have no loved ones, or whose loved ones have ditched them after (supposedly) they revealed they were flat earthers). One of the most resonant moments was that one scientist dude with the dreadlocks, near the end of the film, where he speaks about not mocking these people but bringing them back into the fold with facts, science, and rational logical thought. That very same ideal should also be applied politically (i.e. you're not going to win over a Trump supporter by calling them "stupid" and various other things), indeed, there's an excellent episode of SModcast in which Kevin Smith interviews Megan Phelps-Roeper (formerly of the Phelps family) where she spoke of exactly that: she was brought out of that madness by rational and logical and respectful discussion with someone on the other side.

However, there will still be people who will blindly refuse to accept the alternative despite mountains of evidence. They will always find something to make an excuse out of. The moment where the Mark guy is asked about 'what if it was revealed that you're wrong?' or had to leave the 'flat earth community' and he said he couldn't because he's essentially 'in too deep' was also very telling. Once you're that deep in bullshit it's hard to row back.

The moment where the 'scientific' flat earthers talk about their failures to prove the earth isn't spinning on a 15 degree tilt was astonishing, too. Not only because they'd spent twenty-feckin-grand on that laser thingy, but that every attempt to use it to disprove the earth is a globe failed and they still kept believing in a flat earth. Likewise with the laser light test - 'I can't see the light' (no shit) ... 'raise it above your head' (proving the earth is curved and therefore a globe) and boom, there's the light. Then they make up this bullshit excuse that it was "leaves" getting in the way. Riiiight, and the leaves just magically disappeared immediately after you said "raise it above your head" and the guy on the other end raised the light above his head.

The most horrifying moment was the international conference - specifically the 12 year old kid, and the letters about 'third generation flat earthers' (grandparents got their kids into it who in-turn got their kids into it!!!), and how a school science lesson illustrated the corrosive, virus-like effect of flat earth anti-intellectualism as 'a third' of the class denied what their science teacher was telling them about the globe. The danger of having such people in positions of power becomes very real - and then we return to what that scientist was saying about the duty to win people over through fact, logic, proof, and respect.

I sat through the doc with my jaw on the floor ... it's astonishing, truly shocking, that that many people would believe the earth is flat. And this is all without even mentioning the 'factions' within the 'movement'. Another extremely telling moment came when Patricia was dismissing claims made against her because they had no basis in fact, and the logic of which was patently absurd, yet she'll apply the same method of thinking to the earth 'being flat'.

This whole thing kinda reminded me of that scene in Interstellar where the educators are teaching that the moon landing was faked ... "mis-education" etc, that's the sorta shit that really scares me.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Mar-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The moment where the 'scientific' flat earthers talk about their failures to prove the earth isn't spinning on a 15 degree tilt was astonishing, too. Not only because they'd spent twenty-feckin-grand on that laser thingy, but that every attempt to use it to disprove the earth is a globe failed and they still kept believing in a flat earth. Likewise with the laser light test - 'I can't see the light' (no shit) ... 'raise it above your head' (proving the earth is curved and therefore a globe) and boom, there's the light. Then they make up this bullshit excuse that it was "leaves" getting in the way. Riiiight, and the leaves just magically disappeared immediately after you said "raise it above your head" and the guy on the other end raised the light above his head.
    You can also dismiss the role of coincidence, chance and/or error by actually repeating an experiment several times to see if you get the same results, something which apparently doesn't occur to such people.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Speaking of Fyre, it even effected Comedian Ron Funches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YCB4EjKZc

Super Moderator

UK
    ha! I just saw that earlier today. What a co-incidence ... ... or was it a conspiracy?!

How do these flat earthers account for the day/night cycle, for the seasons, for the ocean tides, for the summer/winter northern/southern hemisphere switcheroo etc ... ... actually, I'm not interested as they just fling about bunkum. Odd that they expect others to trust in their vague conspiracies and rants, but refuse to listen to reasoned science and proof.

Ireland
    ^

Yeh, watched it too. Was a little disappointed that the doc didn't grill them more on WHY they believe that the earth is flat and was more interested in talking to these people as if they were celebrities, especially that old dear who was trying to look like she was 25. Could have done with far less of that, to be honest. On the whole, it was interesting enough, but these people clearly have deep seated beliefs that the programme didn't mine and I think they missed a trick on that. I mean, FFS, they have podcasts that number into the hundreds, so they must have more reasons behind their beliefs. Also, I wanted the programme to delve into why they think NASA/the government/the entire scientific community would lie about this and persist in lying, when there was no actual gain in it if, indeed, the earth was flat.

The most interesting aspects of the doc were the scientific failures they encountered, such as the gyroscopic compass showing degree shift and the laser/torch experiment. "Hmmm...that's interesting...".

Yeah, it sure is.

Personally, I think it's healthy to distrust power brokers and that include governments - they do not have your best interests at heart - but, people like the folk in 'Behind the Curve' misplace their distrust into something wild. Perhaps that's because they are simply naive and don't know how to proceed, once they figure out that the world isn't all pretty bees and flowers?

On a positive note, all of the people interviewed seemed like genuinely nice folk, so it's hard to be too hard on them for their outlandish creedo. However, passing this dubious torch onto their children is a very disturbing prospect indeed.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Watch Free Solo guys!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Watch Free Solo guys!
    I’m certainly keeping my eyes peeled for it! Been excited to see it ever since you mentioned it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Watch Free Solo guys!
    Is that the Star Trek 5 remake?