Page 13 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

UK

8/10

6/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Ireland
    'The Conjuring'

7/10

'The Damned (2014)'

4/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK

3/10

Being Attacked

United States
    Guardians of the galaxy 10/10
    + not over the top comedy
    + adult themes
    + an awesome, dysfunctional team
    + possible avengers connection (thanos)

- i had to pee while waiting for the after credits scene which i didnt understand.

Also check out my post "us against the world" in the fiction discussion forum. Dont forget to vote in the poll, thanks!
    Last edited by thesurvivor; 04-Aug-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: because i can

UK

7/10

Super Moderator

UK

Cop (1987):

5.5/10

Based on "Blood On The Moon" by James Ellroy (the author's third book). The film is a pretty average cop thriller with a couple of crucial changes from the book that really sap any juice out of the killer's motive, and the body count's much lower than the book. Otherwise it feels a bit too 'straight from the book' which, when adapting into another medium, doesn't really work so you end up with lots of cut corners. Stuff that makes sense and works in the book doesn't make enough sense in the film. It's an okay flick, but the final confrontation feels totally disconnected from the tone of the material, although it does include a decent kiss-off line of dialogue before the credits roll.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by thesurvivor View Post
    Guardians of the galaxy 10/10
    + not over the top comedy
    + adult themes
    + an awesome, dysfunctional team
    + possible avengers connection (thanos)

- i had to pee while waiting for the after credits scene which i didnt understand.

Also check out my post "us against the world" in the fiction discussion forum. Dont forget to vote in the poll, thanks!
    Yep, good solid fun...

8.5/10 for me...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK

7/10. Read a lot of bad reviews about this so was expecting it to be utter shite but it wasnt too bad although i do think Arnies a bit too old for action films now

- - - Updated - - -

7/10. Loved all the racist bits in this film!!

UK

7/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Y tambien la lluvia 10/10

Watched the scorpion king 3 last night with my nephew and that is one magnificently entertaining piece of crap. Falls solidly into the "so bad it's fun" category.
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Aug-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    'Blue Ruin'

8.5/10

'The Sacrament'

5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK

7/10

- - - Updated - - -

10/10 , one of my all time favourites!!

- - - Updated - - -

8/10

- - - Updated - - -

8/10

- - - Updated - - -

8/10
    Last edited by Geordie9; 11-Aug-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: because i can

Super Moderator

UK
    The Butler:

7/10

"Inspired by the True Story" ... however, with quite a lot of narrative convenience occuring, you do lean towards questioning the validity of the events during the entire film as a result. It feels a bit too 'designed' ... perhaps events did unfold like that, but I suspect there's a lot of nips and tucks to the man's story going on here, it feels too neat and tidy.

In some ways it's kind of like Forrest Gump - a single man watches American history unfold before him, the key difference being that Gump was always actively involved in those events (e.g. Vietnam), but the Butler is always just watching them unfold. It has to be that way, him not being actively involved, but then it does also go against one of the main screenwriting tenets that is your protagonist should be actively involved in their story, not passive.

That said, it's still a good watch - not as heavy handed as I thought it might have been, although it can at times be quite bleak or disquieting (e.g. certain moments of racial abuse during the civil rights movement). Whittaker does tend to mumble a bit during the movie, and combined with the accent he puts on, I was missing out on perhaps a third of his dialogue but I got the main thrust of whatever he was saying. Still though - the sound mix needed work to lift the dialogue a little higher at certain points. Overall a good movie that kept me engaged, even if the procession of famous actors wearing fake noses and hair pieces to play successive presidents became a little bit ... I don't know ... as if from a movie with a different tone, if that makes sense.

UK

8/10

Administrator

England
    Inbetweeners 2

8/10 - I enjoyed it as much as the first one!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan