Page 130 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    'Wolf'

Jack Nicholson, a mild mannered senior editor in a publishing company, gets bitten by a wolf and begins to turn into one. But, instead of getting all depressed like Lon Chaney Junior, he learns to accept his condition and embrace it eventually.

'Wolf' is a laughably silly "werewolf" picture that never really takes off, even though much of the first half is pretty great. It all falls apart around the 50 minute mark, though, and becomes a farce pretty much. Nicholson does his best, for the most part, and seems to be enjoying himself. The rest of the cast are just sort of going through the motions and there's nothing here that will stretch them. Christopher Plummer plays another rich arse and Michelle Pfeiffer is just dull, as she usually is. Only James Spader stands out and he, once again, turns up to play one of life's little shits. But, he does it so well and he's quite enjoyable. If there's any reason to watch 'Wolf', it'll be for Nicholson and Spader.

However, the story is just too tame, with some unconvincing wire acrobatics and really lack lustre werewolf makeup to boot. Which was pretty surprising, because makeup master Rick Baker was in charge. There's some really dodgy "contact drift" going on with the werewolf eyes at several stages that's impossible to ignore.

Mike Nichols' direction is quite leisurely, with few scenes to raise the pulse of even the most easily excitable person. It's also, oddly, studio bound in several places too, with scenes that are clearly shot on sound stages. I don't know whether that was due to budget or a stylistic choice, but it wasn't easy on the eye in any case.

It all ends up fairly harmless stuff, neither here nor there. A bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing.

4/10

'Angel'

Danny (Stephen Rea) is a saxophone player in an 80's Irish low scale showband. He witnesses a paramilitary murder one night outside a club and takes it upon himself to enact a bit of revenge.

Neil Jordan's first major effort and it's pretty awful, it has to be said. The film, shot on a paltry half million pounds, is laced with problems, both due to budget and skill sets. It's clear that Jordan was still finding his way, as it were, and despite the impressive cast list, which boasts a lot of familiar Irish faces like Ray McAnally, Donal McCann, Marie Kean and Sorcha Cusack, the acting comes off here as fairly amateurish in many respects, especially from Honor Heffernan who just cannot carry the role she has. The story is also very disjointed too, which is a real shame, and it comes across as clumsy and vague.

The only real entertainment value in 'Angel' is spotting some Dublin sights as they were in 1982, as there's little else to recommend unfortunately.

3/10

'Glass'

David Dunn (Bruce Willis), Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson) and The Horde (James McAvoy) are all held in a top security mental institution, while they undergo psychiatric treatment by Dr.Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson). Things don't go so well.

M. Knight's last entry in his middle-the-roads, pseudo superhero series - try that with a few drinks on you - is a strange affair. It doesn't really live up to 'Unbreakable' or 'Split', but doesn't let them down either, despite being of a relatively low key nature. But that low key suits the style of the previous two entries. In many ways it retains the other two film's clumsiness, but also their dubious charm as well.

'Glass' wasn't as well received by both the critics and fans, but I felt it was a perfectly fine way to end Shyamalan's trilogy. I have to say I found it enjoyable, but that's probably because I had no real investment in the series and came to it very late. I only first saw 'Unbreakable' and 'Split' this year and had no interest in them until that time, so any expectation or anticipation wasn't part of the deal on my behalf. I reckon some people were/are put off because 'Glass' wasn't "bigger", as it were, and the small story can seem a little deflating, especially if you've been following this for the last 20 years.

The characters too are a curious lot. Dunn is really just a really strong bloke whose weakness is especially, and unfortunately, limiting. Mr. Glass is a comicbook obsessed smart nerd, with a psychopathically nasty streak and the Horde threatens to slip into parody all too easily. The Beast, too, walks on dodgy ground and at times can seem as impotent as Mr. Furious from 'Mystery Men', leading to a couple of unintentional smirks.

It's hard to categorise Shyamalan's "Unbreakable trilogy", as it's not really a set of superhero films in the sense that we know today (they're not even really superhero films), and that's why I probably find them more interesting I suppose. They are far from perfect, however, and their low stakes may put a lot of folk off, who might be expecting more "traditional" fare.

7/10

'Logan Lucky'

Steven Soderbergh's (I thought he was retiring?) comic, if not a "comedy", film about a couple of hick brothers from Virginia, who plan a robbery at a NASCAR racetrack doesn't sound all that interesting or even that comic really. But, it's a smart and funny story that will offer a few chuckles, even if there are no belly laughs. It's not flashy, it's not "hilarious", it's not "zany". It's just a quirky story that's well told, with characters that are interesting enough to hold the attention.

At two hours, it can feel a little long in areas, but it never feels like a chore and its final stretch can seem a bit off to what came before. But, it's a pleasing film of the type that doesn't get into the cinemas all too often these days.

8/10

'Codename: Wild Geese'

Taking his cue from the popularity of the 1978 British film, 'The Wild Geese', Italian schlock factory, Antonio Margheriti (AKA Anthony M. Dawson, AKA Vincent Dawn) decided to have a go himself with his own take on the mercenaries abroad pseudo subgenre of war films.

Putting his best magpie talents to effect, Margheriti pinches the basic story from Andrew McLaglen's film, including its subplot, and manages to gather a pretty impressive list of character actors for his romp, which sees his rag tag bunch of hard men, led by Lewis Collins, sent off to some South East Asian craphouse to help knock out the opium production of a typically nefarious "general" of nondescript allegiance. All on the immediately shady orders of a wealthy American businessman and a dubiously affable DEA officer.

If you've seen 'The Wild Geese', then there will be few surprises here and even if you haven't, you'll be hard pressed not to be able to guess what path the film will take and the bulk of the entertainment value is taken from its B movie charm and seeing the veteran character actors go around the block one more time.

The lead duties of Captain Robin Wesley are taken up by poor Lewis Collins, who seems to have thought the whole thing would be a quite different and better film, as he tries his best in the hope of a big screen breakthrough. Collins, freshly unemployed after the cancellation of 'The Professionals', puts in a decent shift as the leader of the mercenaries, in a role he is well suited for and he does well enough with what he's got. I've always been surprised that his career never took off in a more elevated fashion as he's no worse here than any number of action heroes of the period. I guess it just wasn't to be.

Not trying so hard are the previously mentioned character actors, such as Ernest Borgnine as Fletcher, the DEA guy, and the always watchable Lee Van Cleef, as the dodgy but ultimately OK China. Both of these old lads are there clearly to pick up a few bob and try to have a good time along the way. Although, for Lee Van Cleef, I imagine the shoot wasn't as pleasant as it was for Borgnine, whose scenes were limited to shots in Hong Kong. Van Cleef, who at this point in his life had great trouble walking without pain due to a previous injury, never seems to be in any hurry despite the bullets and explosions going off around him and tends to shoot a lot of people while sitting down. At one point Van Cleef's character, China, rubs his leg and bemoans the pain he's in from trekking through the jungle and I believe him.

The last instantly familiar face on the list is Klaus Kinski. Kinski, a common addition to Eurotrash for decades is always eye catching, no matter what he's in and he's no different here. His unique features are loved by the camera and even if he couldn't give a damn about his role, the film, or everyone else involved, he retrains an effortless fascination even if his voice has been bizarrely overdubbed with an ill-fitting British accent, which seems to disappear at later stages of the movie, where I'm sure we can clearly hear Kinski's real voice.

The rest of the cast are filled out with a number of German non-stars, due to the fact the Gerries ponied up a few Marks for the film's production and Mimsy Farmer, who provides the token and completely superfluous female presence

'Code Name: Wild Geese' won't bowl anyone over and at times is quite boring. But, there are little things here and there that are amusing if you're in the right frame of mind. Watch out for the ludicrous, if admirable, model work that pops up at various points, most notably in a laughable high speed tunnel chase and a miniature flame throwing helicopter.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Action Point
    Starring Johnny Knoxville and Chris Pontius of Jackass, this comedy tells the tale of the titular fun park which throws all health and safety standards to the wind in order to compete with a new and much more impressive park nearby. Featuring 'real stunts' (yes, all stunts are real, but here the actors themselves - Knoxville mostly - are actually performing them, as they would have done in Jackass), it's a fairly breezy affair although there's just something a bit lacking about it, but it's hard to put a finger on it. Definitely worth checking out for Jackass fans, but tempered expectations would be best when going into it.

Alien Covenant
    This was a second time viewing for me. First time I saw it I was disappointed. This time around I liked it better, although Tennessee's total disregard for the entire mission and the safety of the colonists still aggravates me something rotten - and only one drop ship on the entire craft, wtf?! They could have also used a little finesse to explain why they weren't too bothered about potential infection on an alien planet ... at least have a scene where they send an advance probe to scan the planet for all known contaminants and diseases, which could then come back decidedly clean and then that would justify it more (because in order for anything to happen we do need them to get infected). The other thing that really pissed me off was how Shaw was just dispatched almost in Alien 3 fashion. I'd got so invested in her character from Prometheus, so for her to just end up dead in some convoluted mystery off-screen was a real punch in the nose for fans. And the 'two slips on the blood' moment was silly - once, fine, but ruddy twice? Jog on. However, there is a lot of quality sci-fi style from Ridley Scott, and they do maintain some of the 'thinky stuff' that made Prometheus work so well for me, even if it is sometimes framed in a oddball manner (the flute fingering sequence, the creepiness of which distracted from the dialogue which had a lot of subtleties embedded within it). Unfortunately, the way the movie kinda retreads familiar ground just feels kinda pointless. A proper continuation of Shaw's story would have been far more interesting.

Rising

United States
    Dracula vs Frankenstein - 1971: widely regarded as one of the worst movies ever made, but in a "good" way. The outcome of this cinematic train wreck was partly due to the way the movie was put together. The filmmakers couldn't decide what movie exactly to make, so they started making a biker film, then they switched to a horror movie about a mad scientist and his murdering assistant, and then finally Dracula was brought into the picture. As you can easily imagine, the final result is an unintentionally hilarious inept movie.

You would think that you would not find very famous names attached to such project, but surprisingly, the movie in fact features Hollywood veterans Lon Chaney Jr. and J. Carrol Naish. Granted that their careers had hit rock bottom (Carrol Naish was in very poor health at this point of his life, and Lon Chaney Jr. had a well-known problem with alcoholism during his entire career, which you can easily see the toll it had taken on his "acting" at this point of his life) by the time this movie was made, but nonetheless it is surprising to see such famous names in such a movie. Also featured is the Italian-American dwarf actor, Angelo Rossitto, who I am sure will be familiar to most horror, sci-fi, fantasy and adventure fans (he was in a whole bunch of such TV shows and movies, including Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome)

The "plot" of the movie is ridiculous, to say the least. And don't expect much "logic" either (for example: it is anything but clear why exactly does Dracula want to bring back the Frankenstein monster; there is nothing he does that Dracula could not do himself, and much more efficiently, to boot!) The "dialogue" contains such "gems" of hilarity as:

Dr. Durea/Frankenstein addressing Dracula after discovering his identity:I am too old, and too sick, to be interested or surprised by anything. But when a man comes into my house, and casts no reflection on my mirror, and upon his hand wears the unholy crest of Dracula, there is no scientific answer to anything! Now, what is on your mind, Count Dracula? (also notice that Dr. Frankenstein's mirror is on the ceiling, LOL!)

Count Dracula addressing Mike (whom he somehow thinks is guilty of Dr. Durea/Frankenstein's death, and Lord knows why, because as we plainly saw, it was the good ol' mad doc's very own fault!): You are responsible for the death of Dr Durea, last of the Frankensteins! I am Dracula! The serum he perfected would have rendered me invincible. But do not worry! – it will not be long before I get all I need of that serum! When I do, I will return with a league of living vampires – an indestructible army of the undead! Nobody will stop me then! Nobody will stop me then! (notice the hilarious contradiction: make up your mind, Count, are they "living" or "undead"?!?!)

Dracula addressing Dr. Durea/Frankenstein after he coerces the good ol' insane Dr. into cooperating with him: Yes! And all those who meddle in the destinies of Frankenstein and Dracula will see an infernal bloodbath, the likes of which has not swept the earth before! (this is immediately followed by a hilariously clumsy extreme close-up of Dracula making an "evil" face)

Dr. Durea/Frankenstein "explaining" the mechanics of his master plan to his murderous assistant, Groton:Yes, you see it coming into being now, Groton! The final stages of the adreno-molecular structure! The traumatic shock, which has vibrated through these bodies, has now been tempered; tempered to an even rhythm. The blood has reversed through the pulmonary artery. We are all going through changes, of having the same blood. It is flowing throughout all our bodies. We shall soon become more and more as one. Soon, perhaps, we shall even look as one! (yep, this is solid "scientific theory" if I ever heard one!)

And my personal favorite:

Dracula addressing his busty blonde captive: My coffin awaits your becoming immortal in its embrace! (must remember to try this one as a "pick-up line" on the next lonely busty blonde chick I stumble upon next time I walk into a bar.)

Some of the death scenes are also a friggin' riot. The most hilarious one is the death of Dr. Durea/Frankenstein. I don't think anyone could make the whole sequence more clumsily and incoherently put together even if tried on purpose. It has to be seen to be believed.

Final verdict: a must watch for all fans of bad cinema. This is one of those "best worst movies of all time". Unintentionally funny as hell.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters

The Legendary Godzilla finally returns to the big screen and gives fans the epic battles they've waited for but there's a few problems.
    It doesn't feel like Legendary earned this because we have only had two films so far. Maybe I am a bit biased due to the recent magnum opus of the MCU, this film feels like Batman vs Superman even though it's thankfully not a advert for more films and does make introductions.
    The human characters were okay, not memorable or special, that is something that needs to be fixed.
    When the film ended, I felt like I'd watched the first half of a movie that's concluding in Godzilla vs Kong.
    On the upside the fights were spectacular, the Kaju were all there (if you're a fan it's a treat) and it has has nice nods to the best of the Showa, Hensei and Millennium series films.
    7.8/10
    - Weak characters
    - Thin plot (though ones not necessary)
    - Too much Kaju
    + Epic fights
    + Awesome soundtrack
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 09-Jun-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: needed

Super Moderator

UK
    The Happytime Murders
    I saw the trailer and got so excited for it, then I saw the reviews (which were mediocre to bad). Last night I happened upon it on Netflix so gave it a spin. I liked some parts quite a bit, but overall it's a damn shame as it so often feels like a missed opportunity from the chance for good comebacks/jokes wasted on a generic "fuck you" or the like to the weak characterisation that stops the audience from really getting invested (I know that's a strange thing to say in regards to a puppet movie for grown ups, but it's true).

The Terminator
    Naturally, I've seen this loads of times but it's been a few years. I saw it was on Netflix and hoped that they had the original audio track - but sadly not! Anyway, it's funny with T1 and T2, because everytime I watch either one they become my preferred one of the two, haha, I just love the first two so much. Something I really enjoyed watching T1 this time was how there's bugger all fat on the bone, as it were, it's so streamlined and purposeful ... and that, in some ways, it's kind of like a slasher movie.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Terminator
    Naturally, I've seen this loads of times but it's been a few years. I saw it was on Netflix and hoped that they had the original audio track - but sadly not! Anyway, it's funny with T1 and T2, because everytime I watch either one they become my preferred one of the two, haha, I just love the first two so much. Something I really enjoyed watching T1 this time was how there's bugger all fat on the bone, as it were, it's so streamlined and purposeful ... and that, in some ways, it's kind of like a slasher movie.
    That movie is one of those cases where not even its own creator will ever again be able to replicate such a masterpiece. It's like a cinematic Frankenstein Monster: it swallowed its own creator whole, forever overshadowing him. Just look at James Cameron today. What he is making is not worthy of even licking the sole of The Terminator's boots.

Administrator

England
    John Wick 3 - Daft. Silly. But good fun, and some excellent staged fight scenes!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Train To Busan
    I've had this sat on the DVR since last August, but finally got around to it yesterday. It's a smidge slow to get rolling, but once it does it works rather well. You never really get to know anybody by name, but you do by their character and actions, so you find yourself getting attached to them - and as a result, the inevitable death toll manages to carry some emotional weight with it. The transformation of the lead character (the father) over the course of the film also keeps you fully invested.

There's a few iffy bits here and there, "what are you waiting for?" kinda stuff, but for the most part it's really well put together - and the actress they got to play the main guy's daughter: blimey! Very talented! The 'swarm' of 'zombies' works better here than it ever did in World War Z, where it just felt like a bunch of silly CGI that had no real logic or physicality to it, whereas in this movie the scale feels far more realistic and as a result it's scarier (e.g. when breaking through those glass doors at the train station). While it may not really do anything new with the zombie genre (there's very little new that can be done with it at this stage), getting to see it through the eyes of another culture freshens it up and, as said before, it boasts solid characters who get the viewer emotionally invested (which isn't something that can be said of many zombie flicks in recent years).

Mile 22
    Mark Wahlberg and Lauren Cohan and Iko Uwais (and Ronda Rousey and John Malkovich) star in this brisk action thriller about two CIA operatives who have to lead a man to safety in order to secure missing nuclear material. The action is pretty full on and in your face, albeit heightened, so it's a mix of moral grey areas realism and action movie chaos akin to The Raid (Uwais again delivers the goods with skill). It's all pretty intense, but there's a few bits of subtle dark humour laced throughout, and the film itself (minus credits) is only about 87 minutes, so it's nice and breezy. Caught it on Netflix the other day.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    A Dogs Purpose.
    Basically it follows the journey of the soul of a dog that has five lifetimes for the duration of the movie, the timeline goes from the sixties through to the present.
    I don't know what to make of this movie, I love dogs but this movie seems incredibly exploitative in that it features four deaths of the five incarnations of the dog. He's voiced by Josh Gad who plays him innocently as life happens for various masters. There's plenty of humorous moments through his canine lens of reality, there may be tears though more likely for a beloved pet then anything on the screen.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 12-Aug-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: me engrish no reed gud.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    About Time
    Little fact about me: I enjoy romcom’s. I would probably categorize this one a bit differently, but I’d had it recommended and I really, really liked it! Domnhall Gleason, Bill Nighy, and Rachel McAdams star in this odd time travel story. Nighy steals the show with laughs(as usual), the story evolves from romance to general lessons on living life, and leaves you with that warm fuzzy feeling. Highly recommended.

Possum
    This one is the exact opposite of above. Slow, methodical, and completely eerie, it’s a horror/thriller that slowly unravels the history of a troubled puppeteer as his life spirals out of control. Gorgeously shot and well acted(the main actor is the bad guy from the previous two Mission: Impossible films), I can easily see how this one wouldn’t be for everyone, but I found it to be quite a well-crafted ride, if a touch depressing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    Only just got around to it, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the opening montage laying out the basics while also slinging a few quips (e.g. the reference to the Spider-Man 3 dance). As everyone else has said, the animation style is great. Of the other versions from the multi-verse I particularly enjoyed Spider-Man Noir (Nic Cage) and Peter Porker/Spider-Ham (John Mulaney). The little tag at the very end of the credits is damn good fun, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Colin Quinn: Red State Blue State and The New York Story
    From 2019 and 2016 respectively (the latter directed by Jerry Seinfeld, too), these stand up specials have come to Netflix and are well worth watching. I particularly enjoyed the latter as it gives such a fun insight into the casual history of New York from the perspective of ordinary people on the street, but also the general vibe of New Yorkers (e.g. "rude polite", asking for directions etc).

Mindhunter: Season 2
    Another great season. Hopefully season 3 won't take two years. There were a few scenes at 'airports' that were actually the Monroeville Mall, re-dressed and digitally tweaked to stand in for airports, which was pretty cool.

Ireland
    'Godzilla King of the Monsters

Crap.

End of review.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Godzilla King of the Monsters

Crap.

End of review.
    I’m not at all shocked that you didn’t like it, but I enjoyed it. Sure, it’s nothing revolutionary, but it’s got more of the monster-fest feel that a lot of folks felt was missing from the 2014 film. For a spectacle, popcorn muncher, I felt like it was a further step in the right direction. Mind you, I’m not a huge fan of the characters to begin with.

MZ - loved Mindhunter season two, but I can’t help but feel like they’re dragging out the BTK character a bit too much. Two seasons worth of minor scenes seems a bit much considering it could get the axe from Netflix at any moment. They should make his story into season three or there will be a high probability that we’ll have all these minor scenes and never actually get to see the investigation.

Brightburn
    I had a lot of fun with this one! Basically it asks what if Clark Kent/Superman was inherently evil. From there it turns into a gory, fun horror film. This feels more like an old school slasher film than it does a “what if” superhero story, which is how felt the marketing was leaning. I think some folks around these forums would enjoy it.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

0/10. Sadly nothing can save this film. Not even Mike V doing two (yes only two) skate tricks. Should've gotten high BEFORE watching, but we all make mistakes. Some (Kevin James) more than others.