Page 131 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    The Ridiculous Six
    I'm not massively into Adam Sandler, but I watched "Murder Mystery" and enjoyed it as a bit of fun (as an F1 fan my interest was particularly peaked when scenes of the 2018 Monaco GP appeared in the film, heh) ... anyway, so I figured I'd watch this one that he did for Netflix prior (I think he's got a four-movie deal with them). It's certainly overlong (about 2 hours IIRC) and it's all pretty scattergun (and scatological - i.e. the donkey), but there was a few laughs throughout. Doesn't make a lasting impression, but to be fair, as I've said, I'm not all that much into Adam Sandler movies.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    MZ - loved Mindhunter season two, but I can’t help but feel like they’re dragging out the BTK character a bit too much. Two seasons worth of minor scenes seems a bit much considering it could get the axe from Netflix at any moment. They should make his story into season three or there will be a high probability that we’ll have all these minor scenes and never actually get to see the investigation.
    The problem with that, though, is that BTK wasn't apprehended until 2005 (his kills seemed to cease in 1991). At the moment in Mindhunter we've reached, IIRC, 1981, and there's also the ages of the main characters to take into account.

I think part of the reason for including BTK is to show what was going on in the hidden corners. Despite the rise of profiling serial killers, it's still quite hard to catch them. It seemed that in season one they weren't really at all aware of BTK, but in season two he's now on their radar but still kind of in the background. I do agree that it'd be interesting to get more than just fleeting glimpses, but at the same time I do enjoy this kinda connected/kinda tangential story going on whilst everything else is going on.

Perhaps, if they had the benefit of ending the show on their own terms (when the time eventually comes), they could have one or more episodes focusing on the passage of time, perhaps with Ford as a retiring agent around the time of BTK's capture?

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

0/10. Sadly nothing can save this film. Not even Mike V doing two (yes only two) skate tricks. Should've gotten high BEFORE watching, but we all make mistakes. Some (Kevin James) more than others.

I know, right?! Mike V and only two skate tricks? Eh?!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Aug-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I’m not at all shocked that you didn’t like it, but I enjoyed it. Sure, it’s nothing revolutionary, but it’s got more of the monster-fest feel that a lot of folks felt was missing from the 2014 film. For a spectacle, popcorn muncher, I felt like it was a further step in the right direction. Mind you, I’m not a huge fan of the characters to begin with.
    There's a limit to how much stupid I can put up with in a film.

It's also riddled with silly soft zooms on characters and then they say something absolutely cretinous. Or they have dumb look of faux awe on their much. This happens so much as well.

It was just awful crap altogether and over 2 bloody hours of it as well. One or two entire characters could be sliced out of that running time and you'd miss nothing.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Aquaman
    Hmmm ... ... after solid reviews and boffo box office I was expecting more out of this, to be honest. I didn't connect with the characters (even Aquaman is basically just a bit of a dickhead half the time), and good lord - the fuckin' CGI overload had me queasy. So. Much. CGI. Even stuff that could have been filmed in the real world was on a damn green/blue screen and you can just tell, it's kinda like that uncanny valley thing, you can so often sense that something has been shot indoors with that actors totally surrounded by green or blue. So yeah, it was fine for a watch, but I'm rapidly forgetting it I'm sad to say, and I don't think I'll be bothered enough to re-watch it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aquaman
    Hmmm ... ... after solid reviews and boffo box office I was expecting more out of this, to be honest. I didn't connect with the characters (even Aquaman is basically just a bit of a dickhead half the time), and good lord - the fuckin' CGI overload had me queasy. So. Much. CGI. Even stuff that could have been filmed in the real world was on a damn green/blue screen and you can just tell, it's kinda like that uncanny valley thing, you can so often sense that something has been shot indoors with that actors totally surrounded by green or blue. So yeah, it was fine for a watch, but I'm rapidly forgetting it I'm sad to say, and I don't think I'll be bothered enough to re-watch it.
    Wow! And you're generally more forgiving (in a good way) than me, so God knows what I'll make of it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aquaman
    LOL.

I think if I subjected myself to this, after the mind numbing crapfest that 'Godzilla King of the monsters" was, I'd be getting granddad's old webley out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! And you're generally more forgiving (in a good way) than me, so God knows what I'll make of it
    It surprised even me. "Suicide Squad" certainly has various issues, but I really enjoyed that movie and have seen it two or three times already and will see it again. Mind you, "Justice League" was an utter mess (perhaps a re-edit would improve things?), unfortunately. But yeah, I was kinda surprised by just how much I didn't care about what was happening on screen during "Aqua Man", and the vast amount of CGI was so overwhelming that it kept me entirely distanced from everything.

There were some cool moments here and there, and I did love the little nod to "Stingray", but yeah, I just did not connect with this movie at all. Clearly some folks did with its massive box office haul, but not for me. I am looking forward to Wonder Woman 1984 and Joker, though ... oh, and finally getting around to Shazam or whatever it's called sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    LOL.

I think if I subjected myself to this, after the mind numbing crapfest that 'Godzilla King of the monsters" was, I'd be getting granddad's old webley out.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have a feeling that you’ll enjoy Shazam much, much more than Aquaman. Shazam is much more of a traditional film whereas Aquaman is more like video game cut scenes. Zachary Levi kills it as the lead character, as well. Lots of heart and laughs. And real world locations rather than a green-wrapped soundstage...

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
    I enjoyed this entry, more than Chapter 2, but it still doesn’t live up to the first film. Speaking of CGI above....this is the first Wick film that uses some particularly heavy CG action sequences. That’s fine, and it makes for some cool “whoa” moments, but lacks the certain spark of the real-world action of the original. Certainly worth a viewing, though!
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Aug-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    'The Dead Don't Die'

Jim Jarmusch's attempt to do an American 'Shaun of the Dead' fails miserably to achieve the knowing wit that the British film possessed in spades. It's far too busy being "meta" and concerned with "ironic" dialogue delivery that it misses what made 'Shawn of the Dead' so humorous. It's a shame, because 'The Dead Don't Die' (not to be confused with a 1975 film of the same name) boasts an excellent cast and is stuffed with actors that will be familiar to almost everyone, or anyone that's seen a film in the last 20 years anyway. But the film does nothing with them - especially in the case of Tilda Swinton - and ultimately goes absolutely nowhere. Now, the same can be said for the final destination of 'Shaun of the Dead' too, which was sort of the point of that film. But the journey was also entertaining, which cannot be said for Jarmusch's film.

Set in Centreville, USA, we're told that a series of global events, such as fracking in the Polar regions, has (naturally) brought the dead back to life and (also naturally) they are concerned with ripping the flesh off of the living and scoffing it down and...well, that's it really. There's nothing new here, not that there has to be of course. It's just a zomcom after all. But, its staleness makes the runtime of 1 hour 44 minutes seem very long indeed. Plus, when that's coupled with the endless laconic delivery of the script's lines, it all makes it seem like it's just treading water, until the end credits roll. Few, if any, of the jokes really make a splash and especially eye rolling is the fourth-wall-breaking discussion of the script in the film's last act, where both Bill Murray and Adam Driver just seem so, so, desperate for a laugh. But none of it lands.

Those familiar with zombies will find little satisfaction here, except for the odd nod to the master (Romero) and some decent zombie makeup. There's some head lopping scattered around that's mostly confined to the last reel, but most of the gore is obscured or happens off screen and there's a curious decision made to reduce the splatter to CGI mist, which is just "off" in an R rated film (or 16's this side of the pond). There's also an annoying - perhaps deliberately so - title theme song by some country music singer that gets regular play throughout the film and a message that basically says that humanity deserves its apocalypse, because we're all dicks.

'The Dead Don't Die', like most horror comedies (a wretched subgenre, if ever there was one), just ends up falling between two stools and flatly onto its face. It's not funny enough to be a comedy and not horrific enough to be a horror movie. So, we're left with a load of nothing in the end and wondering what Jim Jarmusch was aiming to achieve here, other than, as said earlier, trying to do an American 'Shaun of the Dead'.

3/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Avengers: Endgame
    Finally got around to seeing this. Two of the big exits had been spoiled for me, although the exact hows of them weren't. There was still a surprise or two in store, though.

I was quite impressed that the film took plenty of time to really dig into the after effects of 'the snap' and how that impacted those left behind. The MCU has in the past struggled with weightier moments with none of the heroes really facing any genuine deadly threat or sacrifice, and for a long while the MCU struggled with villains, but Infinity War and Endgame have both been excellent and delivered in spades on those fronts. Indeed, the task of handling such a vast range of characters spread across so many different locations and times is a very impressive feat in itself. The Russo brothers have certainly earned a break after this!

The time travel stuff was good fun and offered up some good emotional material, too (Tony and his Dad).

The death of Iron Man was done really well - the sense of loss was handled nicely (I'm quite glad they cut out the 'Avengers take a knee' bit as it's too much and feels a bit hokey), and that final message from Tony to his daughter was pretty powerful. Likewise, the return of Captain America - as an old man - was superb. I didn't know that was how his character was leaving the franchise, so that in itself was a nice surprise, and to end on him finally dancing with Peggy (having spent a life with her in his own time) was a really nice way to end the flick.

Seems as if Thor will be off with the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'm looking forward to that, although losing three big characters in the 'earth bound' MCU, if you will, is gonna be a tall order to fill. I wouldn't be surprised if they kinda struggle a bit, although the Falcon/Winter Soldier movie that's been flagged up has got my interest.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Sep-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hell Fest
    I was quite pleasantly surprised by this flick. Produced by Gale Anne Hurd, it's about a group of teens who visit one of those big horror events - but there's a killer roaming amongst the crowd picking off people one-by-one. Now, this premise has been done a few times in recent years, although the last one of this basic idea that I saw was pretty damn bad (I can't even remember the name of it) - however, Hell Fest is quite a lot of fun. The pacing is good, there's some nicely designed suspense sequences dotted throughout, and while the characters are only sketched in, we get enough to know 'who is who' (if that makes sense) and they get some sparky dialogue to play around with - so they're at least fun to hang around with and don't irritate you. The 'Hell Fest' itself, though, is the show stealer and gives the movie a big, fun carnival atmosphere.

The Post
    Directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep (and innumerable familiar faces), it tells the story of how The Washington Post exposed the Pentagon Papers to the public after Nixon attempted to shut down The New York Times. It harks back to a time when journalism had a purpose and an ideal behind it, not the garbage clickbait churnalism and partisan polemics we're inundated with these days, so there's a pang of nostalgia to it all (you really get a sense of that from the scenes that show the actual mechanics of printing a newspaper). Naturally, it has some sharp relevancy in today's climate, and the tension associated with the risk of having to be the ones out there on the cutting edge of reaffirming the "right to publish" in the face of all of Nixon's fury is palpable. This'll make a good first part of a chronological double bill with All The President's Men.

Being Attacked

United States
    I just watched the film 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' directed by Quentin Tarantino.
    It's a pretty decent film with a lot of historical bastardization, like, and pardon the pun 'Inglorious Basterds'.
    It's a nostalgia trip back to the late 60's, with famous icons Sharon Tate played by Margot Robbie and Bruce Lee played by Mike Moh. The film sets itself up really nicely with our main characters Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. Immediately they sell you on their acting and their friendship. It seems like they really have been friends for a long time and in that capacity.

The film suffers from (or maybe doesn't) a "ludonarrative dissonance" between the script, direction and dialogue. There are tons of dialogue exchanges between the characters, none of which is exposition to fill us in on what the film is actually alluding to. Quentin Tarantino's style of films are highly dependent on interesting dialogue and clever wit. Quentin obviously benefits from this "ludonarrative dissonance" because the exchange between characters can be about anything and isn't tied down to plot points. Except of course the last act when Leo starts this 5 minute expository narration to what probably would have became 30 extra minutes of footage if it weren't given to us in that fashion.

The real meat of the film is at the last 10 minutes. It slowly swims through 2 and a half hours to give us a tension filled pay off that is absolutely and gratuitously, brutal and gory. It's also a complete inaccuracy, so don't believe what the internet is saying. It's also not a Sharon Tate film, or a Charles Manson film. It's really a film about two fictional characters who are having a falling out with Hollywood and are just trying their best to stay relevant for as long as they can until the inevitable happens. There are parts of this film that doesn't even feel like the same film and that's actually a compliment. If you've seen the film, you know which parts of the films I'm talking about.

The final verdict for this film for me is a 7/10.
    I rather watch Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds.
    Last edited by Daoyinyang; 13-Sep-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typos

Super Moderator

UK
    I've been bashing through some comedy specials on Amazon Prime this week: Jim Norton: Please Be Offended, Steve-O: Guilty As Charged, and Joey Coco Diaz: Socially Unacceptable.

Also...

The Predator
    After hearing some very mixed reviews about it - some folks loving it, others hating it - I finally got around to seeing it for myself and ... ... it's okay. There's some stuff I quite liked, and other stuff that didn't really work. The tone is a bit odd: for instance, you've got the little kid who's on the spectrum and that's just part of the character really, but then you've got Thomas Jane's solder who has tourettes, which is basically only played as a joke (and seemingly disappears on the regular). What was most odd is how Olivia Munn's character, as educated as she supposedly was, seemed to have absolutely no awareness of tourettes. Such an odd thing to chuck into the movie. It wasn't "offensive" to me, it just made no real sense ... much like the soldier guy who seems to have some random crush on Munn's character. That guy made no sense.

So, in other words, the collection of cannon fodder was pretty ropey for the most part (and a looooooooong ways off the much more defined/efficient characters of the first two movies). There's some good sparky dialogue dotted around, and some very good gore/action scenes, and the idea of the Predators gathering up DNA from different planets was interesting. I was a bit underwhelmed by the 11ft uber-Predator or whatever it was. I much prefer a big dude in a monster suit as it's real, while the big bad in this is just CGI. The music was a nice continuation from the original, for the most part, although watching this one just made me more want to re-watch the first two movies (for the umpteenth time) again rather than this latest one again, if that makes sense? I'll probably see it again sometime down the road, but I was a bit disappointed by it, unfortunately.

The Belko Experiment
    Written by James Gunn and directed by the dude who made the Wolf Creek flicks, with a host of familiar faces in the cast, this action/horror flick is about a group of office workers who are sealed inside their company's building and pitched against each other in a game of survival. Seeing the worst parts of human nature kick in when thrust into a pure survival scenario (kill or die) is far scarier than most horror movies that come out these days, although it's well written and manages to smooth over most of the logical bumps in the road that such a high concept genre idea as this usually presents (something that The Purge struggled with). It has a breezy pace, some pretty gory moments (the film has a thing for obliterating the human head), shock deaths, and was surprisingly entertaining. I had this sat on my Netflix watch list for ages and never got around to it, but then it re-appeared on Film4. Definitely worth seeing.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Well this has got that tongue in cheek, pantomime, sentimental vibe that the Aussies and Kiwis seems to have nailed at times! A definite guilty pleasure film! Starring Sam Neill and directed by Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).
    Just watched this again. Really enjoyed it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Death of Stalin
    From the creator of Veep - so you can expect that same kind of tone - this satirical comedy is set in the aftermath of Stalin's death and the political machinations (and farce) that ensued. It's got a fantastic cast, a searing wit, and a gleeful taste for the absurd (although it's probably not quite as absurd as you'd imagine) as it moves to reduce titanic figures of post-war Soviet politics to squabbling, back-biting, self-serving children. If you enjoyed "Veep", you should definitely check this one out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Absolutely Anything
    Just saw this and I really enjoyed it. Basically, Simon Pegg is an aspiring author by night and lazy teacher by day who is bestowed with the power to make anything happen. He's given the power by a group of aliens who chose which planets join their network and which ones get blown up, and the test for each populace is whether the one being given the power uses it for good or evil. It's got a solid cast with the likes of Kate Beckinsale, Rob Riggle, and Sanjeev Bhaskar among others. It's directed and co-written by Terry Jones (back in 2015), so there's a great sense of wit and fun to it, and at a sprightly 85 minutes it breezes along very nicely. Really good fun and well worth checking out for fans of Terry Jones and Simon Pegg.

Logan Lucky
    A crime caper about a bunch of half-smart/half-bumbling crooks who decide to rob a speedway during the Coca Cola 600 race. Daniel Craig steals the movie as "Joe Bang", a crim with a thing for blowing stuff up. It falters a little bit here and there, but only slightly, and while it's no Ocean's 13, it still has a lot of the fun of that film. The cast is a veritable who's-who, as well. Certainly worth a watch.