Page 132 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    IT chapter 2 - Not as strong as the first and a little long and muddled... 6.5/10 with the first as an 8/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    'Angel Heart'

Alan Parker's noirish, occult, tale set in 1950's New Orleans is a mixed bag for sure. One the one hand it's a fairly gripping suspense and on the other a laughable yarn who's climax is signposted from the very outset.

Everyone is having fun though and its obvious limitations aside, it's a joy to watch a pre-ugly mug Mickey Rourke inhabit the scruffy persona of Harry Angel as he's hired by the immediately sinister Louis Cyphre to investigate the whereabouts of a crooner called Johnny Favorite, because Cyphre is afraid that the contract he and had with the singer may longer be upheld.

The conclusion of 'Angel Heart' should be extremely clear to all, except the most clouded and innocent of minds. Perhaps being of such a nature would be a boon when watching the film, because when the journey stops at its inevitable last station, it's nothing but a let down.

'Angel Heart' is all about the journey though and in that regard there's a lot to be said for it. Aside from Rourke, everyone else jumps into their roles with great relish and Robert De Niro clearly enjoys his turn as Mr. Cyphre. Parker's direction is ok, but then it always is just ok. So, if you have ever seen any of his films, you'll know what to expect from that point of view.

'Angel Heart' is an odd film. Not awful, but not successful either and yet fully deserving of one's time if you're in the mood.

6.5/10

'The Shining'

Upon release, like John Carpenter's 1982 classic 'The Thing', Stanley Kubrick's 1980 foray into the horror genre met with very mixed critical reception indeed. But also like Carpenter's effort, it's subsequent reappraisal has seen it soar to the heights it fully deserved when it was originally shown in cinemas.

These days, 'The Shining' rightly holds its head up high and resides on many an aficionado's top horror movie list. A film of considered pacing and deliberate creepiness, Kubrick charges the film with an uncomfortable feel throughout, not just in the foreground, but also in the background as was befitting a man of his meticulous (and dare I say it somewhat autistic) nature. Nothing is on the screen by accident. Everything is placed and misplaced with purpose. That chair that goes missing during a single take...done on purpose. Jack's typewriter changing model between shots...done on purpose. Little Danny's Big Wheel trike making those on carpet/off carpet sounds as he traverses the Overlook Hotel...done on purpose. Never knowing whether what's happening is in Jack Torrance's head or whether it's real...done on purpose. That David Hicks hexagon carpet design...done on purpose. Every single item that makes it to the camera is as a result of Kubrick wanting it there. Everything is framed for a purpose. Everything is shot in the way he dictated it to be shot. Even the famous "All work and no play" manuscript was fully typed out across thousands of pages, across multiple languages.

In addition to Kubrick's hand, there's also a brilliant score by Wendy Carlos, which punctuates the scenery perfectly. Her crash/smash soundscapes capture the horror of the Wendy and Danny Torrance's ordeal as the Overlook Hotel slowly closes in around them. The vocal sections of her soundtrack complement Wendy Torrance's screams and hang in the air during the final act as if the ghosts of the Overlook are around every corner.

The script, which came in for much damnation from Stephen King - who wrote the original novel - veers away from from what King wrote and goes its own path. So much so as to be an entirely different tale. The essential plot is the alike, in which Jack Torrance is charged to act as a caretaker of a rural hotel where the winter months see the establishment abandoned and over the course of his and his family's stay, creepy events start to occur. King hated what Kubrick did with his story and especially despised Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duvall in the roles of Jack and Wendy Torrance. To be fair to King, he's not wrong. Nicholson and especially Duvall's characters are nothing like their written counterparts. But, instead they are their own creations and are just as compelling of not more so.

Shelly Duvall's limp, lank haired, but awfully good natured Wendy looks like a human skeleton that has had skin stretched too tight over its frame. We feel sorry for her when Jack berates her and he clearly hates her as much a Stephen King does. With her shaky collapse in the last reel, her character comes full circle and she is fascinating to watch. Remarkably, and unjustifiably, poor Shelly Duvall got nominated for a Razzie Award. But she is now considered one of the best victims in all of horror cinema.

Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance eschews any attempt at nuance from the get go in another deliberate move by Kubrick. He's a real piece of shit, who disregards his family and perhaps there was a bit of loathing from King, because he probably saw a lot of himself in both the literary and the cinematic Jack Torrance, with Nicholson's barely concealed malice for his family's welfare mirroring King's own familial problems due to his struggles with alcohol and other drug addictions.

Finally, Danny Lloyd plays a cute kid in the shape of Danny Torrance. A boy who has the supernatural ability to reach others through his mind and is susceptible to the Overlook's scary going's on before anyone else. This supernatural ability is shared by the cook at the hotel who explains to Danny and the audience what the ability is and gives it a name.

'The Shining' should be seen at least once by all fans of horror films and film in general and it's an eternal shame upon the forces of critical opinion pieces that they just didn't get what made the film so great in the first place. It's an absolute masterpiece of subtle, creepy, horror that would be lost on most film makers today. It's clever, without being knowing or pretentious. It's scary without resorting to boo! And it never feels bloated or in a rush to get to its money shots, so it's fully deserving of its rare 10/10 score.

10/10

'Dr. No'

James Bond's first dip into cinematic history and the start of a 50+ year career as the screens premier secret agent, 007, is a curiously quaint start to a long tenure. Made in 1962, the largely British production boasted high budgets, exotic locales, and plenty of action in an absurd plot (even for its day) based on the pulpy novels of Ian Flemming, who made a tidy living knocking out one ridiculous Bond adventure after another.

Sean Connery, who beat out Cary Grant and Richard Johnson for the title, is perfect as Bond and he is clearly loving the role that made his name at this point, which ceased to be the case some time around 1967 as he got increasingly desirous to get away from it. Connery's Bond is not the suave sophisticate that Roger Moore's was and is, instead, a more rough and tumble sort, who despite fitting well into a dinner jacket, seems to never be at home in it or with the company that goes along with such attire. Connery's Bond will coldly and causally dispatch his enemies, without the obligatory wisecrack (although they appeared in force by the time of 'Goldfinger') and he's much more of a serious businessman that his other famous 1970's successor, who's outings were always firmly in camp territory.

But, unfortunately, it's the story of 'Dr. No' that's the real let down here, which is unfortunate, because until the titular character makes his appearance, Bond's investigation is quite compelling. But, once we get to the the baddies secret underground base that's the location of his operation for world domination, the film fizzles out.

'Dr. No' is far from awful, but most of its pleasure is derived these days from seeing where Bond's movie history began and for someone who couldn't possibly call themselves a Bond fan, it was just about ok.

A final curious note, however, is that I saw that the mouth of Bernard Lee's "M" clearly state that Bond is in MI6 (British foreign intelligence), while the audio says MI7, which was a strange pause for me during the viewing.

5/10

'From Russia With Love'

Connery's second outing as Flemming's spy hero is an altogether more accomplished affair than the previous 'Dr. No' and features a far more grounded plot, even if Blofeld's ridiculous SPECTRE organisation makes an appearance as the primary antagonist. In this story, Bond is tasked with securing an Enigma-like device, called the Lektor, a cryptographic machine that is of great importance to British Intelligence. This device is to be handed to him by Tatiana Romanova (an awful Daniella Bianchi), who is a SMERSH agent recruited by Blofeld's No.3, Rosa Klebb (a great Lotte Lenya). Of course, Tatiana is unable to resist Bond's charms and falls head over heels for him and buggers up SPECTRE's plans.

'From Russia With Love' is often hailed as the best James Bond film, but I have to confess a wonder as to why it's held in such high esteem. Sure, it's better than 'Dr. No' and probably better, in many respects, than most of the other Connery Bond films, although 'Goldfinger' is the more enjoyable film, even if its story is more absurd. But, it's terribly tedious in many of its scenes, especially the gypsy section which has always been a crashing bore.

Where 'From Russia With Love' excels, though, is in its baddies. Aside from the already mentioned Rosa Klebb, Robert Shaw appears as Red Grant, who is generally considered to be one of the greatest Bond villains of all time and Shaw is perfect in the role, with the famous train scrap being one of the very best fight scenes in any Bond film.

Over all, it's worth a look, but like 'Dr. No' it's vintage can render it very old fashioned to modern tastes.

6/10

'Goldfinger'

Without a doubt the best of the early James Bond efforts, the third film, 'Goldfinger', is where all the familiar Bond tropes come together for the first time. All of the usual Bond things come into play, like the gadgets, the one liners, and the cool car - this time in the shape of the wonderful Aston Martin DB5 that regularly tops the greats list for Bond fans and car fans alike.

If Red Grant is James Bond's best hard man, then Auric Goldfinger is its best arch villain, played perfectly by the great German actor Gert Frobe. Goldfinger's preposterous plan is to set off an atomic device in Fort Knox and reduce America's gold bullion reserve to a heap of radioactive junk for 58 years, thus elevating his own reserves many times over and causing a certain amount of chaos in the west that will have him in good stead with the east. It's less ludicrous than a lot of Bond villain plans, but still laughable in its silliness, while never scuppering the whole endeavour.

Apart from Goldfinger and his crazy scheme, Bond also has to deal with another great Bond baddie, Oddjob, Goldfinger's mute Korean henchman who sports some killer headgear and a strength that would put every heavyweight to shame.

The obligatory Bond girl, if she can really be called that, comes in the shapely form of Honor Blackman, a sassy semi-villainess, who works for Goldfinger, while never seeming to be totally on his side. The smoky voiced Blackman is a smart foil for Connery's Bond, to whose charms she's "immune". For a short amount of time anyway.

'Goldfinger' plays out at a pleasing pace and its 1 hour 50 minute run time is never wasted. All the Bond elements come together in a pleasing fashion and they suit its 1960's period much better than in the later films, where they just come off as camp. But, even after 55 years, it's still very enjoyable.

7/10

'Midsommar'

Ari Aster is quickly making a name for himself as one to watch for genre fans and hot on the heels of 'Hereditary', he has followed up with 'Midsommar'. A film about some Americans who never saw 'Hostel' and really should have stayed at home, instead of going to attend a bizarre traditional pagan festival in rural Sweden.

Aster has obviously seen and is a great fan of 'The Wicker Man', as is clear from the many parallels between his film and the 1973 classic, which both feature naive protagonists who meet their fate at the hands of a group of weirdos who are visibly out of their time.

Like 'Hereditary', 'Midsommar' is a fine movie, but also like the 2018 film, it features a somewhat tired and played out genre antagonist that will be, at once familiar to fans of horror. But where Hereditary's coven stays relatively concealed for most of the film, Midsommar's equally hokey pagans show their hand far too quickly, as to kill the film's suspense to a large degree. But, this doesn't really matter, as the film plays out in an uneasy and skin crawling way, which is its main charm.

'Midsommar' isn't really scary or frightening, as some viewers may be expecting, but it does hold the attention very well despite those shortcomings. However, it's about 30 minutes too long and can come across as a bit indulgent. It has a few genuinely shocking moments, for sure, and some great gore effects, too, which should please the fans of the red stuff.

With two hits under his belt, fans of horror with certainly be keeping a keen eye on Aster's future efforts.

8/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Open Water 3: Cage Dive (2017)

Human characters so unbelievably stupid that you will be rooting for the sharks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ok, bear with me...

Avengers: Endgame
    Enjoyed it for what it is: A rollercoaster. But I largely agree with the outspoken directors in the media about these films - they are shallow and heartless.

Troy
    Why did I revisit this? Boring.

The Corruption of Chris Miller
    Spanish giallo from the 70's. I greatly enjoyed it and there's a really dark setpiece where an entire family is killed off by a bloodthirsty intruder.

1990 - The Bronx Warriors
    What happens if you combine Escape from New York and The Warriors, then remake them low-budget Italian style? Well... this.

X-Men
    The original. After seeing Avengers I kinda felt like going back to the roots of this recent trend. This film is 19 years old now!

Hjärtelandet
    Danish documentary that left very little impression on me. But kinda cute.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
    Revisiting this and showing a few friends as well. Love it!

Vampyres
    José Ramon Larraz' most famous film? Spanish helmed sleaze in UK setting. Brown, lesbian and bloody.

If you meet Sartana... pray for your death!
    Erh, hardly remember this one. I think I liked it more than the first one. Or is this the first one?

Night of the Sorcerers
    Moody atmospheric spanish horror from Armando de Ossario. I love this guys films.

The Day After
    American made-for-tv film about a nuclear apocalypse. Bleak and pretty damn good.

The People who own the Dark
    Low budget spanish combo of I Am Legend and Day of the Triffids.

The Black Belly of the Tarantula
    70's style giallo, all in the Argento-mold. I like it, but it's not my favorite. The ending is a downer.

El Angel
    Argentinian thriller. Based on a true story, a real criminal. Did not really enjoy it, no soul.

Last House on the Beach
    Italian rape-and-revenge film. Mostly rape.

Super-bitch
    The italian title actually translates somewhat into "Can anyone be more of a bastard than Inspector Cliff?". Well, it's a rather confusing eurocrime with Ivan Rassimov as the aforementioned Inspector Cliff in 70's London. He is kind of a bastard, actually.

Run, man, run
    GREAT spaghetti western by Sergio Sollima!

Five Dolls for an August Moon
    Lowest point for Mario Bavas giallos involvement. Bloodless and confused. Somewhat stylish tho, there's always that.

Hatchet for the Honeymoon
    Much better than the above mentioned film. Crazy ideas that keep you hooked.

Cannibal Terror
    Absolutely atrocious french cannibal film from the early 80's. This is awful. I mean Zombie Lake-awful. The French were fucking awful at making exploitation.

Investigation of a citizen above suspicion
    Italian winner of Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 1970 or 71. Gian Maria-Volonte as a loudmothed and arrogant police inspector who tries to get himself convicted for a crime he DID commit.

Death Wish
    Bruce Willis in Eli Roth's remake. Not very interesting.

Eye in the Labyrinth
    Sunny Italian giallo with Adolfo Celi.

A Bay of Blood
    Bloody italian Giallo by Mario Bava. Many of the deaths in Friday the 13th Part 2 were lifted from this, including the spear-kill.

Planet of the Vampires
    Mario Bava directed lowbudget Scif-fi which works marvously well! Moody and atmospheric.

Triple Frontier
    Rather dull Netflix-film with Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac and a bunch of other guys I can't remember.

Devil Hunter
    Super low budget spanish horror film about a cannibal-demon on the loose on a deserted island. I love these films.

I am Sartana, your angel of death
    No wait, THIS is the second one. Yeah, I liked this one better. Klaus Kinski is in both films, but plays different parts. In the first one he gets shot by Sartana in a pretty good shootout, in this one he plays more a trixter character who nonetheless ends up fighting Sartana but they're more evenly matched and in the end none die.

La via della Droga / Heroine Busters
    David Hemmings and Fabio Testi in a relatively lackluster eurocrime from director Enzo G. Castellari.

Manhattan Baby
    Lucio Fulci-madness. Felt weirded out by it at the time, but I'm itching for a rewatch.

Orgasmo
    Umberto Lenzi's first giallo. Crazy terror film about a rich widow who get's drugged and abused by a pair of hippies.

Supersnooper
    Terence Hill and Ernest Borgnine in a silly film about the two of them being LA cops. Terence Hill gains superpowers and can basically do anything - including talking to fish.

Robowar
    Italian ripoff of Predator. ABSOLUTE trash. But enjoyable in it's ineptitude. Bruno Mattei directs, so all expectations were met.

Night Killer
    An absolute trashy slasher by Claudio Fragasso (I.e. Bruno Mattei's best pal). I enjoyed it more than it deserved actually! The interviews on the bluray were great. Fragasso thinks he's some kind of arthouse director.

The Devil with 7 Faces
    Italian giallo I watched with italian dub and subs. I understood about half of it. Judging from reviews elsewhere the plot isn't that much less confusing even if you do master the language.

Keoma
    Excellent spaghetti western with Franco Nero, by Castellari.

The Devil's Nightmare
    Belgian demonic horror film. Sort of a ghost story as well, set in a castle. Moody! I enjoyed it.

Rome armed to the teeth
    Crazy ass, fast paced italian eurocrime. Lenzi and Merli!

Once upon a time in Hollywood
    Enjoyed it greatly.

A Special Cop of Action
    Another Merli-cop action!

Island of the Fishmen
    Sergio Martino adventure flick, recut into Screamers. I watched the Screamers cut a few months ago. Actually preferred that one.

The Sister of Ursula
    Trash giallo.

Violent Naples
    More Lenzi/Merli! Action packed.

The Coming of Sin
    José Ramon-Larraz thriller-ish. Kinda similar to the Corruption of Chris Miller. Enjoyed it.

Property is no longer a theft
    Italian arthouse by Elio Petri, who also made Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Vengeance of the Zombies
    Low budget and boring spanish trash with Paul Naschy.

Creepshow
    I'd almost like to call this a masterpiece. I think it's really great.

Medicinen
    Crap swedish film.

The House that Screamed
    Moody spanish giallo set in all-girls school.

Escape from the Bronx
    Sequel to The Bronx Warriors! Generally held in higher regard, but I think I prefer the first one.

Libido
    Ernesto Gastaldi was an italian screenwriter of giallos, but this is his directorial debut of said genre. Very Gastaldish, his trademark is all over it.

The New Barbarians
    Castellari's best post-apocalyptic film.

A Black Veil for Lisa
    At this point I'm running out of time. My train is arriving at the station. Been writing this post for soon 40 minutes.... I guess I'll continue tomorrow.
    Anyway, great giallo if a bit slow at times. Massimo Dalamano would go on to greater things, but this is an interesting early entry into the genre. Set in Hamburg. One establishing shot of the police station shows police officers with red armbands... I wonder what that was about.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Fractured: 4/10, at best. You can kinda tell where it's going before it wants you to, I feel like, and really there wasn't enough there to make me go "oh!", y'know? Sorry, that's not very eloquent.

In The Tall Grass: 7/10, maybe higher. Really liked this one. It's Stephen King, but like, still good, y'know? Sorry, I've got a cold rn, so I'm a little out of it. All flesh is grass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Horror Express
    Neat old spanish horror film set on a train. Borrows heavily from Hammer. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing play rival scientists on the early 20th century Transiberian Express battling an unleashed terror in the form of a shapeshifting demon. Telly Salavas makes a cameo appearance and chews up the scenery as always. Loved this film.

Demons
    Zombie-like demons lay siege to an old movie theater in this italian classic.

What have you done to Solange?
    I love this film more with every viewing. It's beautiful, cynical and dramatic. The story of a gym teacher who fraternizes with one of his students as a killer is on the loose. He becomes a suspect, but we know he is innocent.

What have they done to your daughters?
    Thematic sequel to the previous film. Seedy and dirty follow up set in Milano. The world of academia is exchanged for teenage prostitution rackets and peeping toms. Violent and at times very dark.

The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh
    Glamorous jet-setting giallo set in Wien. I've written about it before, so not much new to say. The epitome of giallos.

The Blood-Spattered Bride
    A neat spanish ghost story set in an old manor. A couple of newlyweds spend a weekend in the countryside, in the husbands family estate. The ghost of his matrimonial lineage come back to haunt the couple in the shape of a ghostly vampire who seduces the wife. The blood flows and aesthetically amazing.

The Disaster Artist
    I love The Room, so I had high hopes. Pretty much just what I was expecting, nothing more or less. But not that funny. No matter how hard they try, film cannot triumph reality.

Cargo
    Wrote about it in another thread.

The Maze Runner
    The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
    Watched these two back-to-back sort of, as they were on TV. The first one sets up a sort of interesting premise filled with a sense of mystery. The climax at the end completely demolishes this idea and the sequel takes root in that absolutely retarded twist. Feels like two films that don't belong together at all.

Symptons
    José Ramon-Larraz delivers another very british horror film. Slow burner about two women holed up in a house, in the countryside. Can't say I enjoyed this, give me Vampyres or the spanish set Coming of Sin. This was just too brown for me.

Pain and Glory
    Pedro Almodovar's latest film. A personal tale which moves at a comfortable pace. More focused on characters and tragic backstory, as well as personal renewal, rather than effects and bombastic music.

The Highwaymen
    On Netflix. Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelsson chase after Bonnie and Clyde in a rather slow burner of a film - which I did enjoy however.

The Case of the Scorpions Tail
    Another jet-setting giallo. I liked it first time around, but I'd forgotten how little of a plot there is. Not much happens for much of the time.

The Revenant
    Very long and at times very dramatic and unique. I didn't quite take to the way it was shot however, and at times it felt too long. What was the point of this film, by the way? Just to show Leo suffer?
    Some setpieces are amazing. Overall a visually stunning film. But the choice of very wide lenses at times made it feel somewhat made-for-tv.

The Dead are Alive
    aka THE ETRUSCAN KILLS AGAIN - a giallo set in an and around and old Etruscan archeological dig. As the catacombs are unearthed somebody stalks and kills the people of the team and their entourage. Gruesome at times but perhaps more focused on the troubled and hedonistic past of the protagonists. I enjoyed it more upon reflecting on it afterwards than I did watching it. Apparently a huge success at the time, the second most succesful giallo in Italy, 1972, after Don't Torture a Duckling.

The Scorpion with Two Tails
    Another giallo with an etruscan theme. This time made for TV and rather tame. There's so many ideas thrown into the mix here I can't even remember what the plot was actually about. John Saxon and a bunch of other familiar faces show up, including Claudio Casinelli.

Joker
    Wrote about this in the other thread, but enjoyed it.

El Camino
    Ditto.

Who saw her die?
    A giallo set in Venice. A couple loses their child and the father, overcome with grief and guilt, wander Venice in fall in order to find the killer. George Lazenby stars BUT is dubbed by a generic voice actor so why even bother with the english dub in this case?

Don't Look Now
    Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie wander a winter Venice-landscape and mourn the loss of a child. Sound familiar?
    Best sex scene ever put on film, but overall the film was too slow and uninteresting for me. The ending was a bit of a WTF? but I can't say I think it fit.

The Blood-stained Shadow
    Third times' a charm in Venice as a killer stalks the island suburb of Murano. A bit to corny at times and some of the stylish choices do not work. Also a bit on the long side, almost 105 minutes long for a giallo is a bit too much.

The Night Evelyn Came out of the Grave
    Love this crazy gothic giallo about a deranged British Lord, living in an obviously Italian setting (but still driving on the left side of the road) kidnapping prostitutes and torturing them while fearing that his redheaded ex-wife will come back from the dead to stalk him. Which she does. Sort of.

All the Colours of the Dark
    It could have been a lot better, but Sergio Martino's rather dynamic and sometimes clumsy style works better in a mediteranean setting than in a rather dry british countryside. None of the characters are that sympathetic, and I'm not sure I think the plot makes sense. In the end; Martino tries his hand at Polanski but should probably stick to trashy giallos.

Autopsy
    Armando Crispino also directed The Dead are Alive and likewise this is an interesting but flawed giallo set in a sundrenched Rome. Mimsy Farmer subverts expectations by playing a (relatively) subdued woman whose neighbor is found dead in an apparent suicide - or is it? The victim's brother, an infamous ex-racecar driver turned priest, enlists her help in finding the real culprit and they visit a bunch of really crazy places during the course of their investigation.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Avengers: Endgame
    Enjoyed it for what it is: A rollercoaster. But I largely agree with the outspoken directors in the media about these films - they are shallow and heartless.

Death Wish
    Bruce Willis in Eli Roth's remake. Not very interesting.

Triple Frontier
    Rather dull Netflix-film with Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac and a bunch of other guys I can't remember.

Manhattan Baby
    Lucio Fulci-madness. Felt weirded out by it at the time, but I'm itching for a rewatch.

Rome armed to the teeth
    Crazy ass, fast paced italian eurocrime. Lenzi and Merli!

Violent Naples
    More Lenzi/Merli! Action packed.
    The Case of the Scorpions Tail
    Another jet-setting giallo. I liked it first time around, but I'd forgotten how little of a plot there is. Not much happens for much of the time.
    Flippin' 'eck, someone's been busy at the boob tube!

1) Avengers: Endgame - while "shallow" and even "heartless" could somewhat be applied to some films in the MCU, I don't think Endgame (or indeed Infinity War) are deserving of either slam. They're quite the opposite, in fact, and in spite of the huge amount of CGI (less so in the second than the first) and big splashy set pieces, there are numerous moments that are genuinely touching and quite moving.

Scorcese and Coppola are entitled to their views, but they're tarring them all with the same brush. Some superhero movies are crap and just a load of smashy bashy CGI (and there are a huge glut of them dominating the cinemas, for sure), but to just swat them all away? Where's that "Old Man Yells at Cloud" meme when you need it? Similarly, though, the amount of froth and fervour from MCU die hards going after the two of them is just as silly.

2) Death Wish - yeah, I saw this on Netflix a few months ago and ... ... I can hardly remember anything about it. One of the main problems is it feels like it can't decide whether it wants to be Death Wish 1 or Death Wish 2 through 5.

3) Triple Frontier - it was okay, but I was expecting more. It has some moments, and the use of "Orion" by Metallica helps, but a bit forgettable unfortunately.

4) Manhattan Baby - there's many bits to really enjoy in this movie, but it's absolutely all over the shop. One of the most scattered Italian genre movies I've ever seen. It's hard to get a grip on it (and therefore properly enjoy it), although it was nice to catch a Fulci flick from his heyday that I hadn't seen.

5) Rome Armed to the Teeth & Violent Naples - I really want to see both of these. No idea why the likes of Arrow Video or 88 Films haven't got around to them yet! I wanna see more of Merli slingin' his fists about!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Where's that "Old Man Yells at Cloud" meme when you need it?
    When the directors of 'The Godfather' and 'Taxi Driver' make a comment on the state of MCU movies, "Old Man Yells at Cloud" is not what I'm think of.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The point of Scorcese's critique at MCU films is that they are not interested in exploring any aspect of the human condition. They are rollercoasters, but heartless and devoid of any deeper understanding of what makes us tick. I enjoy them for what they are - a theme park ride at the cinema - but that's all they are.

United States
    Man, I legit jumped out of my seat; as well as half the theater, during Endgame. Shallow my ass.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Man, I legit jumped out of my seat; as well as half the theater, during Endgame. Shallow my ass.
    Exactly. A rollercoaster. And I love it for it and wouldn't want it any other way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    5) Rome Armed to the Teeth & Violent Naples - I really want to see both of these. No idea why the likes of Arrow Video or 88 Films haven't got around to them yet! I wanna see more of Merli slingin' his fists about!
    I think Violent Naples is tied up in some kind of rights issue. There's only ever been one DVD release ever, and it's a bootleg.
    Rome Armed to the Teeth I believe that Grindhouse has worldwide distribution rights. I base that solely on the fact that their disc is region free.
    You can order it fairly cheaply from wowhd.com with free shipping to the UK. It's called The Tough Ones there

Super Moderator

UK
    I think Violent Naples is tied up in some kind of rights issue. There's only ever been one DVD release ever, and it's a bootleg.
    Rome Armed to the Teeth I believe that Grindhouse has worldwide distribution rights. I base that solely on the fact that their disc is region free.
    You can order it fairly cheaply from wowhd.com with free shipping to the UK. It's called The Tough Ones there
    Thanks for the heads up - I'd forgotten what that site was called (I was able to import the Blu-Ray of Dr Butcher M.D./Zombie Holocaust through them) - I'll stick The Tough Ones on my wishlist.

Super Moderator

UK
    Miracle Mile
    I'd never seen this before, and had barely even heard of it in fact, and then stumbled across it on Netflix. A full blown 1980s 'love + nuclear annihilation' story. Anthony Edwards is a loveless guy who happens to stumble across 'the one' at the L.A. tar pits. They make a date for after her shift at a local diner, but he runs late and misses her - but does pick up a misplaced call to a phone booth which informs him that the missiles are going to drop. Nuclear apocalypse is imminent and he's got an hour to track her down and escape the coming bombs with her.

The soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is very effective, combining 80s synth sounds with a sense of constant tension, which makes all the scenes of spreading panic in the facing of impending nuclear doom all the more ... well, scary. There's a few iffy bits of dialogue here and there (mainly in the scene where a bunch of folks from the diner are hurriedly trying to plan for their escape and what/who they'll need), but the film has this beautiful clash of both the naive and sardonic aspects of the 1980s. There's a whole host of "oh, it's them from that thing" actors in this (the police chief guy from RoboCop, one of the punks from The Terminator who was also in The X-Files, etc), which makes for an added layer of fun when watching it, but it's not all fun and games. I found myself getting more and more tense as the movie wore on - again, even though it's in a very '1980s movie way', the nuclear panic aspect is palpable and really flags up that last gasp of Cold War paranoia and fear. Well worth checking out.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Photographer of Mauthausen
    This film is about a group of Spanish prisoners who were kept at the titular Nazi camp, and focuses on how a handful of them secretly hid away photographic evidence of what was going on there. It just goes to prove how many different stories are out there still to be told in connection to WWII and the Holocaust. It's also interesting to note that it highlights some other elements that don't tend to get looked into that often - the Kapos, for example (prisoners who were essentially giving a club and a form of power by the Nazis to keep the rest of their peers in-check), or an on-site brothel. It's also haunting to see, come the end credits, how many of the strongest visuals from the film are directly translated from the actual pictures that were preserved and used in evidence against those responsible for the camp. Well worth watching. It's on Netflix.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Nov-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    The Heretics
    Solid 6/10. Good effects. Decent plot. IDK. I kinda liked it.