Page 135 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Us
    I really liked "Get Out", but unfortunately "Us" comes as a disappointment. For one, it's too long for the concept and feels quite slow as a result (it's basically 40 minutes before 'they' turn up), and the film feels like it's taking itself too seriously in terms of its presentation while simultaneously being a bit slapdash with the logic of the central conceit.

Regarding the logic, as well as the final twist in the film:

It is stated that "The Tethered" have no soul, and yet the main character - who turns out to be a "Tethered" - clearly 'has a soul'. The 'express yourself through creativity' angle didn't really work for explaining that away, for me at least. Similarly, why did this 'government experiment in cloning' or whatever it is, create so many friggin' clones? How/why did they produce that many before realising it's not really working? Why wouldn't they dispatch them? Why would they just abandon them underground? It appears to be that enough were made to recreate The Hands Across America thing from the 1980s, so that's an awful lot of clones! How on earth do you store that amount of clones? Did they all feed themselves with rabbits? How did they hydrate themselves adequately? Where did they all get red jumpsuits and golden scissors from?

The more you think about the film, the more questions come rushing forward, and these gaps in the film's logic prove frustrating. There's no doubt some intriguing themes at work behind the intentions of the film, but it feels like they haven't been translated well enough from idea to screenplay to finished film. The film lacked mystery, too. You watch the trailer and who 'they' are is obvious, so there's no surprise in it whatsoever and then it mostly becomes 'attack/run/attack/run'. Whereas "Get Out" had juicier layers to peel back, reveals and twists that changed the trajectory of the story and the plot, and it didn't out-stay its welcome in terms of running time either. "Us", though, despite having some good moments dotted throughout, Nyong'o and Duke's performances, and a couple of potent ideas, felt like a half-figured-out Twilight Zone stretched 20-30 minutes beyond its capabilities. Hopefully Peele's next film will prove to be a return to the form of "Get Out".
    I agree the whole premise and backbone of the film just felt unbelievable and contrived... It had a nice few moments in it, but with the core story being so flawed, it just didn't work :/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I agree the whole premise and backbone of the film just felt unbelievable and contrived... It had a nice few moments in it, but with the core story being so flawed, it just didn't work :/
    It was interesting reading about the reception of the film as it got so many effusive reviews, but it's just not up to the standard of Get Out. I think there was great potential with Us, and the themes and ideas behind the story, but the film struggles to organise the myriad thoughts and themes, or fully think them through, and have it all make logical sense within the world being presented. It's as if it's got too much to say in one mouthful and it all kinda tumbles out like a landslide of ideas that never manage to form into a truly coherant whole, and as such the potential power of the material is lost.

I read some of what Peele was going for and intending (from interviews), and with some of it I wondered "where was that in the movie?", or certain things just got so lost or were played in such a casual way in the film itself that they didn't appear to have been a point that was being made (if that makes sense?).

Again, there were various bits I liked, and you can definitely see that there's a great movie in there trying to get out (if you'll excuse the pun), but the themes and commentary are lacking clarity so they in-turn lack incisiveness and potency and the film in general increasingly becomes jumbled. Perhaps it would have worked better as a much more focused feature, or a limited series with the various ideas and themes fully fleshed out with a cherry of solid logic on top.

Ireland
    I think both 'Get Out' and 'Us' are both hideously overrated.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I don’t think US is overrated. Definitely didn’t get the buzz and praise GET OUT did.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I don’t think US is overrated. Definitely didn’t get the buzz and praise GET OUT did.
    Agreed. Though Get Out had its moments.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Loved Get Out,

Was disappointed with Us, for much the same reasons I think most were. The film takes itself too seriously towards the end, and does not provide satisfying explanation to what's going on. The last 15 minutes of it seem more interested in showing off it's obvious Alice in Wonderland references.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’ve enjoyed both of Peele’s feature efforts, but Get Out probably has the edge because it’s a touch more original. Us has some really fantastic elements, but as a whole, it’s an extended episode of Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone(Mirror Image), only not done quite as well.

Doctor Sleep(Director’s Cut):
    This was one of my favorites of the past year, so I was excited to see Mike Flanagan’s preferred cut. The film clocks in at three hours(30 minutes longer than theatrical), reintroduces Flanagan’s chapter cards, adds further detail to Danny’s life, more connections to the original book/Kunrick’s film, etc etc. I highly recommend Doctor Sleep to any fans of King/Kubrick/Flanagan/Horror!

United States
    Gotta agree with all those statements.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Loved Get Out,

Was disappointed with Us, for much the same reasons I think most were. The film takes itself too seriously towards the end, and does not provide satisfying explanation to what's going on. The last 15 minutes of it seem more interested in showing off it's obvious Alice in Wonderland references.
    Yeah, from the opening moments - the very long dolly shot tracking out from the rabbits, combined with the slightly pompous music - had me worried from the get go regarding taking itself too seriously, as if the film was somewhat bloated on the deserved recognition for Get Out and the inevitable hype train for Us.

Get Out had a much more focused core idea behind it, one that was also relatively contained within the world's logic to boot, and the film also knew what it wanted to say and how to say it. Us, on the other hand, was the opposite.

Administrator

England
    1917 - Technically astounding film. Generally very engaging, although a couple of sequences felt a touch clunky - possibly due to the none-stop-filming technique?

Also the needless big name actors popping up over and over and over just broke my engagement. Who's next you'd end up thinking? Or who's going to play this person? Should have been unknowns IMHO!

8.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I’ve enjoyed both of Peele’s feature efforts, but Get Out probably has the edge because it’s a touch more original. Us has some really fantastic elements, but as a whole, it’s an extended episode of Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone(Mirror Image), only not done quite as well.

Doctor Sleep(Director’s Cut):
    This was one of my favorites of the past year, so I was excited to see Mike Flanagan’s preferred cut. The film clocks in at three hours(30 minutes longer than theatrical), reintroduces Flanagan’s chapter cards, adds further detail to Danny’s life, more connections to the original book/Kunrick’s film, etc etc. I highly recommend Doctor Sleep to any fans of King/Kubrick/Flanagan/Horror!
    Ooooooh! That's a director's cut? And you recon it's a better experience than the cinema version? Because I thought that was pretty good!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep, it’s available now. If you enjoyed the theatrical cut, you would probably enjoy this new edit. It’s a worthy alternate cut, as well. Not one of those “UNRATED CUTZ!!!” cash grabs with zero reason for existing. It’s a substantial amount of new material.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think I might pre-order the Blu-Ray for Doctor Sleep based on your recommendation, bassman. I'd already wanted to see it, but now knowing there's a worthwhile extended Director's Cut in with it as well...

Blu-Ray/DVD comes out in the UK on March 9th.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010): 1/10. Even if I were still twenty, I would despise this film. There are exactly zero redeeming qualities throughout. WHY does the preschool have a basement?! WHY does a man live there?! HOW is his only job gardener? WHAT suburban town with a preschool that regularly caters to about twenty kids has a live-in ANYthing, let alone GARDENER?!! Zero logic. Shitty CGI. Terrible acting. Terrible ENDING. Terrible score. Bad cinematography/editing/pacing/directing. Just... Awful. I blame Michael Bay.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010): 1/10. Even if I were still twenty, I would despise this film. There are exactly zero redeeming qualities throughout. WHY does the preschool have a basement?! WHY does a man live there?! HOW is his only job gardener? WHAT suburban town with a preschool that regularly caters to about twenty kids has a live-in ANYthing, let alone GARDENER?!! Zero logic. Shitty CGI. Terrible acting. Terrible ENDING. Terrible score. Bad cinematography/editing/pacing/directing. Just... Awful. I blame Michael Bay.
    Wow! Almost tempted to watch it now just to see how pointless it is :/
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Seven Days In Entebbe and 6 Days
    The former is about the 1976 hijacking of a French airplane (Tel Aviv to Paris), which was captured and then rerouted to Africa and a hostage crisis ensued. The latter is about the 1980 Iranian Embassy hostage crisis in London, which saw the SAS 'go public' for the first time as their assault on the building was televised (from a distance).

Seven Days In Entebbe does a good job of exploring the characters (even if it, at times, the perspective starts to feel a bit questionable) - specifically the two German hostage takers and some of the passengers - but it utterly fumbles the climax. We've spent all this time with these people, so you'd think that seeing the passengers rescued and the hostage takers taken out would be of key importance, and yet the film spends most of the (brief) time of the actual operation cutting away to a performance art piece (with the focus being on the girlfriend of one of the IDF soldiers who stormed Entebbe airport). It was a frustrating way to finish the film. I cared about seeing the hostages freed, and not about this interpreteive dancer side character who had no actual connection to the Entebbe crisis, so to keep cutting back to her was seriously frustrating. The actual mission is swept aside in a quite a rush and lacks any sense of tension whatsoever, and amazingly, kind of forgets about the hostages! So, the character stuff was interesting (if a bit laboured), but the film absolutely stuffed the main event.

6 Days, on the other hand, focuses far more on the processes of the hostage crisis, specifically from the perspective of a young man in the SAS who would go on to lead the assault on the embassy. We also focus on the negotiations, too, with lots of tense phone calls going back and forth, with the military snooping around the outskirts of the Embassy with microphones and cameras to secure intel. The film could have done with a little more characterisation - we don't really get to know the hostages and hostage takers all that well, just a rough sketch of two hostages and two hostage takers really - although the main focus is on the SAS man and the negotiator, so the weight of the situation is placed squarely on their shoulders. Cutting away to a characterisation of news reporter Kate Adie on the outskirts also felt kind of redundant as she was similarly 'at a distance' like the viewer, despite the historical import of her actual news reports at the time. So, while the film struggles a bit to really connect to many of the characters (leaving you feeling a bit emotionally distant), the film absolutely shines when it comes to tension - the SAS getting ready to breach, but then having to stand down at the last second, plans getting drawn up and then changed, etc ... and then the actual event (the SAS storming the embassy) is utterly gripping and viscerally told with a nerve jangling score, deep breaths in gas masks, and barked orders ratcheting up the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! Almost tempted to watch it now just to see how pointless it is :/
    Yeah, I couldn't be doing with the ANOES remake either, a real watermark in how bad remakes can be sometimes. The only thing I liked is that they showed a bit more of Freddy's lynching, which was an interesting bit of backstory that was mostly just skimmed over in exposition in the original movies IIRC.

However, the pointlessness and generally crapness of the remake can be summed up with one scene: Freddy lurking through the bedroom wall as Nancy sleeps.

In the original it was achieved, quite ingeniously, with a stretch of spandex that had been painted to match the bedroom wall of the set. Lit from below, all that was required was for the actor to push into the spandex to distort it and make for an iconic and creepy image. The crucifix falls off the wall and when Nancy puts it back up (after we've cut to and from a close up of said crucifix) she knocks on the wall (now the original wall of the set again) to further sell the effect.

In the remake it was done in CGI, which no doubt cost a silly amount of money (far in excess of a sheet of spandex and some paint), and it looked like nothing more than CGI - totally fake and too animated to ever be believed as real.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Feb-2020 at 10:36 AM.