Page 136 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    'Beverley Hills Cop'

Classic 80's cop movie (can you call 80's films classics? Um, I spose you can) with comic undertones and a young Eddie Murphy who was at the top of his game, fresh off of the success of '48 hrs.' and 'Trading Places'. This type of stuff was perfect for a 1980's Murphy and he leads the charge here brilliantly, with jokes that land but are never over the top or cringy in a story that suffices well enough. Although 'Beverly Hills Cop' will probably play better to people who remember it as a video treat 30 odd years ago, it's well worth checking out if you weren't around then or never saw it before. Easily one of the best films of its type.

8/10

'Beverley Hills Cop II'

A pretty shameless sequel that essentially plays as a repeat of the 1984 movie in many ways, but it's not entirely without its own entertainment value. It is, however, a pretty mediocre effort and even though Murphy is, again, pretty good as is most of the rest of the cast, it just cannot match the first film or capture its charm.

5/10

'Beverley Hills Cop III'

While No. 2 was average, 'Beverley Hills Cop III' (released ten years after the first film) is just awful. It's indicative of everything that was wrong with a lot of 90's movies, in that it's overblown, feels awfully shallow and it's deeply unsatisfying. Murphy tries in spurts, but he just seems tired here as he goes through the motions and there's an absolutely wretched performance by Theresa Randle that has to be seen to be believed. The script is simply dreck and it's hilarious to think that this was the one that was picked out from a string of rejections. It's almost as if John Landis just didn't care and after about 30 minutes in, neither did I.

2/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Pet Sematary (2019)
    It's stylishly shot and there's a few good plays on audience expectations (the truck on the road, the ankle slice), and fairly atmospheric, although the 1989 movie will always be the one that really sticks in my head - particularly Zelda - although, the manky moggie in this 2019 version does look quite good and menacing. How the ending unfolds is a bit different, but I did enjoy it on its own merits as another version of how the story could finish off. One thing I didn't like, though, was the 'glimpse of what's to come' opening (particularly the burning house) ... I mean, just start the movie, 'cos this 'see a bit of the end first' thing has become a played-out cliché. I think the neighbour worked better in the 1989 film, although Lithgow did a class job with the version of the material that he was given (befriending the little girl more than the father). I doubt I'll ever re-watch it (unlike the 1989 movie which I do want to see again), but for the duration I did enjoy it well enough.

Anyone else seen it?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ I agree. I also enjoyed it, it’s entertaining enough, but it always carries this feeling that it’s missing something special to put it over the top. Not sure what that would be, but something just didn’t click to make it great.

Knives Out:
    Rian Johnson wisely went a bit smaller and personal after the hoopla surrounding his decisions on Star Wars, and the result is phenomenally entertaining. It’s basically a love letter to Agatha Christie and the “whodunnit” genre, only with Johnson’s offbeat humor and style.

An amazing cast, including Daniel Craig doing his best Foghorn Leghorn impression that’ll have you in stitches. Has he not done a full-blown comedy yet? We’ve seen pieces of his comedic side, but after Logan Lucky and this, I would love to see him lead an entire comedy! While Knives Out is an ensemble, the “lead” would probably go to Ana De Armas(Blade Runner 2049), who shows that she’s definitely one to keep an eye on. I honestly thought she was just a pretty face, but she’s amazing in this flick!

Anywho, if you’re a fan of the genre and Johnson’s previous films(this one is closer to Brick, which I loved), you definitely need to see this. Without a doubt one of the best of the year, and I can’t wait to see the “sequel” that’s already announced. As with Johnson’s previous films, it comes with a two hour making-of doc and some great deep dive features. Highly recommend!
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Feb-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Pet Sematary (2019)
    It's stylishly shot and there's a few good plays on audience expectations (the truck on the road, the ankle slice), and fairly atmospheric, although the 1989 movie will always be the one that really sticks in my head - particularly Zelda - although, the manky moggie in this 2019 version does look quite good and menacing. How the ending unfolds is a bit different, but I did enjoy it on its own merits as another version of how the story could finish off. One thing I didn't like, though, was the 'glimpse of what's to come' opening (particularly the burning house) ... I mean, just start the movie, 'cos this 'see a bit of the end first' thing has become a played-out cliché. I think the neighbour worked better in the 1989 film, although Lithgow did a class job with the version of the material that he was given (befriending the little girl more than the father). I doubt I'll ever re-watch it (unlike the 1989 movie which I do want to see again), but for the duration I did enjoy it well enough.

Anyone else seen it?
    I watched it and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's good, but not great. But still, I feel that it hits all the right beats and manages to play out like a very good Stephen King adaption. The walk to the wendigo graveyard is spooky as hell and the cat manages to be proper chilly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Joker
    Finally got to see it on Blu-Ray a couple of nights ago and I really enjoyed it. The performances, especially Phoenix's, were all spot on, same too for the script, the direction, the score, the cinematography, that sleazy 1981 New York (aka Gotham) vibe giving off whiffs of the Times Square/42nd Street/Midtown area - I really dug it.

Also, having seen it and not turned into some drooling maniac taking to the streets to cause havoc (much like everyone else who saw it), those 'critics' who slammed the movie as dangerous and incendiary just look as idiotic as their stupid statements. It was odd how some critics took against the film to a ludicrous degree, with some saying nonsense things like "it has no plot" - er, what? Did you miss the entire film? Or "it has no message" - again, er what? Did you miss the numerous messages? And the film certainly doesn't celebrate the character of Arthur Fleck, just because it's sympathetic with him - the film is the gradual unfolding of a tragedy. A severely mentally ill man, shunned and mocked by society, abandoned by the system, and a victim of horrific physical abuse is slowly turned into a monster ... hardly a good thing, is it? Therefore it's a tragedy, not a celebration.

Anyway - I really enjoyed it. The little links to the Batman story worked well, while also being subtle yet satisfying, and there were so many little details in not only the characterisation of Arthur/Joker but also Phoenix's performance.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Joker
    Finally got to see it on Blu-Ray a couple of nights ago and I really enjoyed it. The performances, especially Phoenix's, were all spot on, same too for the script, the direction, the score, the cinematography, that sleazy 1981 New York (aka Gotham) vibe giving off whiffs of the Times Square/42nd Street/Midtown area - I really dug it.

Also, having seen it and not turned into some drooling maniac taking to the streets to cause havoc (much like everyone else who saw it), those 'critics' who slammed the movie as dangerous and incendiary just look as idiotic as their stupid statements. It was odd how some critics took against the film to a ludicrous degree, with some saying nonsense things like "it has no plot" - er, what? Did you miss the entire film? Or "it has no message" - again, er what? Did you miss the numerous messages? And the film certainly doesn't celebrate the character of Arthur Fleck, just because it's sympathetic with him - the film is the gradual unfolding of a tragedy. A severely mentally ill man, shunned and mocked by society, abandoned by the system, and a victim of horrific physical abuse is slowly turned into a monster ... hardly a good thing, is it? Therefore it's a tragedy, not a celebration.

Anyway - I really enjoyed it. The little links to the Batman story worked well, while also being subtle yet satisfying, and there were so many little details in not only the characterisation of Arthur/Joker but also Phoenix's performance.
    Probably my favorite movie of 2019. Surprised you didn’t see it sooner.

I could watch it anytime. That’s rare for me these days.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 12-Feb-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Knock Knock
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Probably my favorite movie of 2019. Surprised you didn’t see it sooner.

I could watch it anytime. That’s rare for me these days.
    I hardly ever go to the cinema these days. I went over the Xmas holidays (to see Star Wars) and it was the first time I'd been in two years (also to see Star Wars, lol). The price of it, having to drive 40 minutes to get to the multiplex (same again to return), and for the past few times I've experienced nuisances from the audience - the last time it was somebody's ill-behaved kid kicking my seat, the time before that it was some utter chump speaking every pointless thought that entered his head ("ooh, it's Luke Skywalker!" - yeah, duh, we've all got eyes, we don't need your shite commentary!), and then there was the time (in a packed screening of a Hobbit movie) the kid next to me kept farting.

So yeah, I barely go to the cinema these days. The lure of viewing from home has suckered me in with its total absence of bloody nuisances.

United States
    I only go to one theater now. It’s a bit of a drive but I never have problems there. I don’t blame you at all.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Toy Story 4
    To be honest, Toy Story 3 was the perfect way to end those movies (aside from a couple of little 20 minute TV specials on the side). However, #4 at least doesn't really screw anything up, even if it does feel a smidge unnecessary. It's very much Woody's story, but as such the other multitude of characters can feel a little bit sidelined at times (even Buzz Lightyear!). The plot also feels a little bit circular, in terms of it kinda feels like a lot of 'run/hide/pretend to be a toy/get lost/run/hide/little battle with a 'villain'/get lost/run/hide' etc, and then there's the ending...

I know that structurally they've set it up properly, and it still has emotional resonance ... but Woody leaving all the other toys to stay behind with Bo Peep, willingly becoming a "Lost Toy"? I'm not sure about that ... it kinda feels like it's going against the first three movies in a way, particularly to split your main character away from everyone else. I know why he does it in the film, but it just doesn't quite sit right with me.

It's also a bit weird how the film treats Woody at times - he has his voice box stolen from him and he just goes with it? Like, yeah okay, knock me out, steal my voice box for yourself, and then jog on ... and ultimately the voice box doesn't give Gabby what she wanted most of all anyway. Sure, she gots taken up by that kid, and the voice got the kid's attention ... but it's just an odd thing - Woody doesn't choose to give his voice box away. It's seized through villainy and the film just lets the 'bad guy' of the film get away with it. Hmmm...

The animation is superb, as always, with so many impressive details and effects (the rain storm at the beginning, the dusty crevices of the antiques store), and there are some good laughs - the choice of music on the antiques store record player brought a big smile to my face, for instance, while the likes of Duke Caboom and Giggles McDimples are great new additions. In many ways it's really good, but it also feels kind of awkward - the first three films had a complete arc and provided the perfect ending to a trilogy. While four doesn't make a mess of things by any means, there are certain choices that just feel a bit off. Some of the ideas or themes feel a little undercooked or not quite figured out in-full, while the narrative tends to get stuck in loops so the propulsion tends to flag at times. Is it the least of the four films? Hmmm ... well, it's certainly the most unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I only go to one theater now. It’s a bit of a drive but I never have problems there. I don’t blame you at all.
    Yeah, with a lack of ushers that has been going on for years and years now, and with an increased lack of manners on the part of some people (at least one of whom always seems to end up a few feet away from me), a trip to the cinema has lost a lot of lustre. I will say that it was nice to see the multiplex I go to had been renovated considerably since I'd last been, which at least made the building itself and the toilets and the seating all quite pleasant (even in just standard seating), but seriously - stop bringing young children to 12A films. The guideline suggests no kids younger than eight, but nobody enforces this - so you're always ended up with some 4 or 5 year old who hasn't been taught how to behave in public at a cinema kicking your fucking seat without reprimand by the parent (as was the case throughout The Rise Of Skywalker), or some little kid who doesn't really understand what's going on (as was the case with The Force Awakens). Then, of course, there's adults who don't know how to behave properly (as was the case with the 'say out loud anything that pops into my head' chump during The Last Jedi).

Of course, being British, none of us can say anything to chastise such nuisances, so we just have to stew over it.

Ireland
    'Uncut Gems'

Adam Sandler proves to be a bit of a revelation and wipes out years of appalling "comedy" appearances in some truly awful films in one fell swoop. He plays a despicable, lowlife, Jewish jewellery dealer in New York's diamond district, called Howard Ratner. Ratner has scored a rock containing black opals from Ethiopia and hopes to make it big off of a sale. He needs to, as well, because he's in debt to loan sharks and lives a lifestyle that's clearly beyond his means, as he appears to be quite reckless. He cheats on his wife with younger woman who works in his shop and generally treats everyone with disrespect. He's interested only in money and will go to dangerous lengths in pursuit of it too.

Sandler plays Ratner as one of life's awful people. In fact, everybody in the movie is awful. His entire family are a collection of people you wouldn't want to be around for five minutes. Yet, you remain interested in seeing where his story goes and even by the end of it, you want Ratner to succeed and make the big one, which I suppose is great testament to the people involved in making the film.

'Uncut Gems' starts fast and races through its story, as Ratner doubles down on every bad decision he makes. His life is a disaster, even though all the ingredients are they to make it good. But, by the film's conclusion, you find yourself almost on his side and hoping for a good ending.

9/10

'Richard Jewell'

Clint Eastwood weaves a relatively satisfying story, based on the titular character and the wrongful accusation and investigation against him, after he discovered the bomb that went off at the Centennial Olympic Park bombing during the 1996 Olympic games in Atlanta. At first, hailed as a hero, Jewell is bewildered by all the attention, but enjoys it to a degree. But, quickly, it all turns sour as he becomes the No.1 suspect and he finds himself the centre of attention by the FBI.

There's a lot to like in 'Richard Jewell' and Eastwood proves himself, again, to be a director that can still tell an engrossing story that doesn't have to be flashy festival of flickering lights and whizzbangs. It's central character is played well by Paul Walter Hauser, who comes off as a bit of a slow guy trying to do well, who has a hard time trying to grasp the gravity of the situation he finds himself in. His mother sees Kathy Bates effortlessly add another role to her long and impressive list and Sam Rockwell turns in another charming performance as Jewell's lawyer.

There has been some, rather minor, controversy over the portrayal of real life reporter Kathy Scruggs. Unfortunately, Scruggs died in 2001, so her defence has come from the editor of 'The Atlanta Journal' instead. How much fiction is involved in her portrayal will therefore be a matter that won't be resolved any time soon. Either way, it doesn't really matter. Every big screen portrayal of real life characters is a fiction and the stories we see them in simplified versions of events. Although, one gets the impression that Eastwood could have handled her a bit better.

7/10

'Frauds'

A low budget Australian effort from the early 90's that saw Phil Collins trying to further an acting career, which started in earnest on the back of 'Buster' in 1988. 'Frauds' tells the story of a young yuppie(ish) couple, the Wheats (played by Josephine Byrnes and a young Hugo Weaving), who file an insurance claim for the robbery of some Edwardian cutlery from their house, only to be confronted by a strange insurance investigator, Roland Copping, whose methods and life revolve around very odd mannerisms.

The film isn't entirely successful in anything it sets out to achieve, really, and goes off the rails more than once. But, to its credit, it's never boring. The acting is uneven, to say the least, with Weaving coming out on top quite easily. Byrnes is ok, but seems to have an oddly dubbed American accent and Collins is serviceable, while never feeling like he's truly comfortable in the role. But, it's no surprise that out of the three leads, it's Hugo Weaving that would go on to have the better career.

It's an odd curio that's worth a watch and some of its stranger moments may live in the memory for a while.

6/10

'Prospect'

A hidden sci-fi gem from a few years ago, that has sadly gone unnoticed by many, including myself. 'Prospect' is set in some future scenario, where people have conquered distant space and, of course, are exploiting it for resources. A father/Daughter mining team are contracted to gather gems from an unnamed forest moon, whose surface consists of toxic gasses that are spewed into the air from spore ejecting wildlife. The process for this "mining" appears to be a delicate operation, but one which is lucrative enough to set up the father and his teenage kid, at least for a while. Events don't go too well, unfortunately, and quickly go awry however.

'Prospect' looks lovely an utilises its earthbound locations to great effect. It also has a satisfying retro tech aspect that's very refreshing in a cinematic world of silly transparent screens and swipe technology, that look fancy, but aren't very practical in "realistic" terms...hello 'Prometheus'. Everything is switches and buttons and it feels better because if it, especially as the events of 'Prospect' appear to take place in a "frontier" type of environment, evoking the hardships of old wild west prospectors, mining for gold in "them thar hills..." and hoping to strike it rich.

The film also treats its audience with a certain amount of respect and never holds their hands. A lot of this world is left unexplained, but it's never confusing and feels natural. It feels like a fully realised section of universe, where life is tough and short. There may be some questionable character decisions here and there, but the harshness of the environment they find themselves in make those decisions seem fairly logical.

Well worth seeking out, if you're interested in this sort of thing.

9/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Uncut Gems'

Adam Sandler proves to be a bit of a revelation and wipes out years of appalling "comedy" appearances in some truly awful films in one fell swoop. He plays a despicable, lowlife, Jewish jewellery dealer in New York's diamond district, called Howard Ratner. Ratner has scored a rock containing black opals from Ethiopia and hopes to make it big off of a sale. He needs to, as well, because he's in debt to loan sharks and lives a lifestyle that's clearly beyond his means, as he appears to be quite reckless. He cheats on his wife with younger woman who works in his shop and generally treats everyone with disrespect. He's interested only in money and will go to dangerous lengths in pursuit of it too.

Sandler plays Ratner as one of life's awful people. In fact, everybody in the movie is awful. His entire family are a collection of people you wouldn't want to be around for five minutes. Yet, you remain interested in seeing where his story goes and even by the end of it, you want Ratner to succeed and make the big one, which I suppose is great testament to the people involved in making the film.

'Uncut Gems' starts fast and races through its story, as Ratner doubles down on every bad decision he makes. His life is a disaster, even though all the ingredients are they to make it good. But, by the film's conclusion, you find yourself almost on his side and hoping for a good ending.

9/10
    I watched this the other week. I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure if I can really say I enjoyed the movie in the normal sense - it kind of leaves the viewer stunned at the rising stakes and how this guy has all these fingers in different pies, or more specifically, other people's valuables in the pawn shop to get money to play a bet to make money to pay off the loan sharks who are after him. He's got this perilous mountain of interwoven gambles wobbling about constantly that the sense of desperation bleeds out an infects the viewer, and you begin to feel trapped within the story.

I know what you mean about wanting him to win - just so the chaos can be over and, perhaps, common sense can take over again. Sandler certainly played the role very well. You don't like the guy at all, really (indeed, he's pretty reprehensible), but Sandler performs the part quite convincingly.

One thing I would say, though, is that it definitely felt too long. A few judicious trims at script stage, or even in the edit suite, could have helped with the pacing.

Ireland
    It's definitely a film you have to be in the mood for and if you aren't "there", it can catch you off guard. I didn't know what to expect from it, other than I heard that Sandler was very good in it. I knew nothing about the story, so it was a very "pleasant" ride, if that word can be used. It's a rollercoaster that starts at the top and has a one way downward trajectory though.

I didn't feel any problems with pace or running time, have to say. Easily one of the best pictures of 2019 for me.

Super Moderator

UK
    Curtiz
    A Hungarian/English film about the director of Casablanca, set during that film's production. One of the most irritating aspects is that the film doesn't have subtitles for the non-English dialogues, so I was constantly rewinding/pausing the film, putting the subtitles on, then turning them off, then putting them on again ... proper annoying. There's some terribly clunky nods to the times in which the film was made (2018), with a thunderously blunt "make America great again" reference, and the whole subplot of the nefarious government agent battling with Curtiz over every single facet of the film feels totally fictional to a degree that leads you to question everything that happens in the movie.

There's some nice shots here and there, but others that feel 'ripped off' from other filmmakers or just 'out of place'. If you're wanting a behind the scenes look at the making of Casablanca in the form of a narrative, look elsewhere. There's a few bits here and there, but again, the generally clumsy nature of the film leads to missed opportunities, half-followed subplots, and even a few ropey 'impressions' of Casablanca's cast.

The film also delves into Curtiz's apparent reputation as a womaniser, but again, it never really tackles the subject of the casting couch with any real certainty or clarity ... it gets in the way as much as it tries to flesh the character of the director out, if that makes sense? The film did keep me watching throughout, but the longer the film went on the less convinced I was by everything that was happening on screen. Glaring moments of artifice for dramatic purposes cast a shadow of doubt over the entirety of the film's story and characters, and so ultimately I was fairly disappointed with the movie. I'd seen it was coming to Netflix and the trailer got me excited, but it just didn't really work, for me at least.

Ireland
    'Dressed to Kill'

Brian De Palma's 1980 movie focuses on a killer who first stalks a sexually frustrated, 50 something, housewife (Angie Dickinson) and then a prostitute (Nancy Allen) in a pretty tepid and conventional, but highly regarded thriller.

I say "highly regarded", but I'm at a loss, somewhat, to see why really. It's a fairly straightforward yarn and only those with a barely functioning brain would miss the central "surprise" of the film's story. However, it does have a certain fascination to it and my attention was kept throughout. It's kind of like a lot of those 70's/80's Italian Giallo movies. There's a heightened sense to everything that's going on and it all feels very unreal, but they're just not that good in the end. Watchable, weird, but ultimately unsatisfying. But, this is a general thing for me where De Palma is concerned, who's a director I've never truly warmed to. Even with his films that I consider to be his best, like 'Casualties of War', 'The Untouchables' or 'Carlito's Way', there's always something that sticks in my craw. 'Scarface' is, probably, the only film of his that I can say is great and free of the worst of De Palma's inherent flaws as a film maker and I disliked that movie for a long time.

'Dressed to Kill', like so much of De Palma's output, demonstrates these flaws amply. Some of the film feels so amateurish, it's difficult to believe that it gets a pass from a lot of folk. However, at other times, it comes off as very accomplished, proving that De Palma can put out good work. The scene in the subway, where Nancy Allen's character is pursued by the killer, is very well staged and shot, even if it is sort of scuppered by the introduction of some ridiculous gang members. Likewise, the cat and mouse antics of Angie Dickinson's character and a stranger she's attracted to in the art gallery is very well done, and elsewhere, Keith Gordon's character has some interesting things to do as well. But, these scenes are all offset by several sequences are rather laughable and a simple (even simplistic) story that's all but telegraphed to all the audience members that aren't asleep at the wheel.

5/10

'The Hunt'

Lambasted by President Trump, who I reckon hadn't even seen it or knew what it was actually about, and given a rough ride by most critics, 'The Hunt' is neither awful, nor good and instead occupies that middle ground - that huge area of middle ground - which is average fare. It's a fairly mediocre "people being hunted" movie. A kind of subgenre of a subgenre. Although what that genre is exactly, I don't know. But there seems to be a number of those types of movies out there, from 1932's 'The Most Dangerous Game', to 'Battle Royale' to 'The Hunger Games'.

After a brief setup, 'The Hunt' drops us into the action and we follow a number of people - the "deplorables" - who wake up, gagged, in a field. Pretty soon, it becomes evident that they are the quarry of some people who don't wish them well. A crate in the middle of the field they wake up in provides them with weapons to use as a defence. But, it's clear that they are at an extreme disadvantage. Inevitably, one character steps up to the challenge and decides to confront their tormentors.

If you've seen any of this type of film before you'll know where it's going after 15 minutes, and while that in itself is ok, it's the heavy handed political satire that lets the film down. Simply put, it's just too on the nose to be likeable and if it was only handled a little smarter or in a more subtle way, the film would have been a more successful result.

To its credit, there is some enjoyable darkly comic moments sprinkled here and there and a couple of nice unexpected turns. But, it never rises above it's "OK" status.

5/10

'The Invisible Man'

A 2020 update of the classic H.G. Wells story that's been put on the screen (large and small) in nearly every decade since the Claude Rains Universal classic from 1933. The basic story of invisibility remains the same here, but everything else has been changed and in some ways for the better too. The focus of this particular iteration is not really on the invisible man, but on a different character. Cecilia Kass (Elisabeth Moss) is the girlfriend of a talented optics engineer, Adrian Griffin (Oliver Jackson-Cohen), who treats her abusively and from whom she wishes to escape. She does so one night and subsequently finds out that Adrian has committed suicide as a result of her exit. However, strange things start to occur and she becomes convinced that her beaux might not be so dead after all.

'The Invisible Man' in its 2020 form is very much a departure from its former incarnations. But, it's a smart update that has its own reasons for existing and isn't just another remake that only stands on the shoulder of a former giant, like so many remakes and reboots do. There's enough here that makes it its own story, and in that respect there's a lot to recommend. It's also helped too by a great starring performance by Elisabeth Moss, whose physical expressions are a definite boon to the production over all. However, while she is sympathetic as a put upon unfortunate, she doesn't drown in a pool of her own victimhood, but instead becomes a heroine worth getting behind as she takes it upon herself to tackle the situation that presents itself to her.

As a fan of the 1933 film, which is the best movie adaptation of Well's story, I was a bit hesitant about this modern update. But, after a while, it won me over. It's not perfect by any means and it's probably a tad over long, but it's still a decent film in its own right. However, whether it revives the flatlined Universal "Dark Universe" attempt at a franchise remains to be seen.

7/10

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

As it’s still a recent release, NO spoilers, but I enjoyed it! I don’t think it’ll be a Tarantino classic that will get as many repeat viewings as some of his others, but it’s a fantastically fun ride through the entertainment industry and culture in the late 60’s. It kinda goes without saying that Tarantino takes some....”artistic liberties” with certain historical events.