Page 138 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Indeed, Meloni is a top notch actor that doesn’t necessarily get the attention he deserves. Great dramatic actor and his comedic performances are top notch. More of a cameo, but I regularly quote his hillbilly character from the first Harold and Kumar film.
    And he was great in Wet Hot American Summer, as well.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And he was great in Wet Hot American Summer, as well.
    Oh yeah, can’t forget those. Also, I hear he’s got a temper problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHWbk_Tx80
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Apr-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Oh yeah, can’t forget those. Also, I hear he’s got a temper problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHWbk_Tx80
    Had me fooled until I realized it was satire.

Great Britain
    Think I first took notice to him in the TV series OZ, he was great in that too

Super Moderator

UK
    Child's Play
    The remake. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by this. Being that the original series still continues, this one goes in a different direction (i.e. no serial killer inhabiting the body of a doll, which is now branded "Buddi"), and playing around with the capabilities of smart technology that are all linked through the cloud is a neat idea for this kind of a story. Mark Hamil voices "Chucky" and, given his particular gift for voice work, he makes for an unsettling Chucky. There's scope for a sequel, and I would be interested to see one. The third act skews into a more action-based direction, short-changing some of the potential "is the kid a maniac or not?" subplot, but it's also a pretty gory flick at times and certainly has a sense of fun about it. The doll itself is (mostly) done practically (although I'm not sure if they intended the animatronics to be as jerky as they appeared, or not), and while the design is a bit iffy sometimes, the Buddi doll is certainly creepy looking.

I'm not a big fan of the Child's Play movies in general, although I have seen them all, and Brad Dourif is Chucky, but nonetheless I enjoyed this remake much more than I thought I would.

Banned User

United States
    Child's Play
    The remake. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by this. Being that the original series still continues, this one goes in a different direction (i.e. no serial killer inhabiting the body of a doll, which is now branded "Buddi"), and playing around with the capabilities of smart technology that are all linked through the cloud is a neat idea for this kind of a story. Mark Hamil voices "Chucky" and, given his particular gift for voice work, he makes for an unsettling Chucky. There's scope for a sequel, and I would be interested to see one. The third act skews into a more action-based direction, short-changing some of the potential "is the kid a maniac or not?" subplot, but it's also a pretty gory flick at times and certainly has a sense of fun about it. The doll itself is (mostly) done practically (although I'm not sure if they intended the animatronics to be as jerky as they appeared, or not), and while the design is a bit iffy sometimes, the Buddi doll is certainly creepy looking.

I'm not a big fan of the Child's Play movies in general, although I have seen them all, and Brad Dourif is Chucky, but nonetheless I enjoyed this remake much more than I thought I would.
    OOHH!!! I need to see this one!! Is it streaming anywhere?? sorry for getting all excited. Being under the Q is awful... Also, what's acab? Is that a movie?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MistressVirus View Post
    Also, what's acab? Is that a movie?
    It's why they banned you, remember?

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    It's why they banned you, remember?
    What? I just got here. What are you talking about??

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    *inhales*

The Possessed
    60's giallo about a brooding writer returning to a familiar village to find his past love having committed suicide. Quite good!
    Though this was in October and I may have forgotten some of the finer details.

Killer of Dolls
    Absolute crazy spanish giallo from the 70's with a hysterical protagonist who snaps so often that it's surprising he wasn't locked up ages ago. He sneaks around killing girls, who he perceives as dolls or mannequins, in violent ways. When he's not on a murder spree he still acts out and runs around screaming at everyone and anyone. Hilarious and over the top. I love it!

Pet Sematary
    The remake, which I liked!

2019: After the Fall of New York
    1990: The Bronx Warriors
    The Raiders of Atlantis
    So these three were watched during a drinking game when me and friends gathered to watch cheesy italian sci-fi and down beers. I got quite drunk, I don't remember the last film at all.

Rats: Night of Terror
    Had to revisit this one, which by comparison with the others above is mediocre at best.

Sartana's Here, trade your pistol for your coffin
    Spaghetti-western with Sartana. I think this is the one with George Hilton. They all sort of blend together in my head.

Two Males for Alexa
    Spanish Hitchcockian giallo with Saw, and Cube-ish themes. Not bad!

The Demons
    Jess Franco, which means utter trash. Way too long. Nunsploitation and super poor effects.

Midway
    Roland Emmerich delivers a green-screen version of the battle of Midway, which is alright but would have been way better if it had focused on MIDWAY and not trying to depict a little bit of every battle from Pearl Harbor and leading up to the eponymous battle.

Jallikattu
    Hysterical indian... action-film? From last year. Best described as a 90-minute stressful journey following a rural villages desperate attempt to hunt down the escaped oxen. Inventive and fun. Get's a bit artsy in the end, which does not do it any favours.

Fail Safe
    The TV-film remake with George Clooney. Ok.

Django the Bastard
    Anthony Steffen as a ghostly gunslinger who takes revenge on a town in this spaghetti western which predates High Plains Drifter.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 3
    Ludicrous, but kinda fun.

Mad Max Fury Road
    Had to revisit this. What a great film!

Exodus: Gods and Kings
    Bland, really. It was on TV, so whatever.

Double Face
    Riccardo Freda's first giallo, I'm a big fan of it. Stylish as hell. Klaus Kinski plays sort-of a good guy. Sort of.

Evil Ed
    A swedish splatter-film from the 90's. I've seen it lots of times before, but Arrow Video released it on Blu Ray a few years back and I finally caught up to it. I love it, but I live the behind scenes material more.

The Irishman
    We've all seen it, we all love it. What's left to say? Except maybe that the CGI did not bother me, but their bodies and movements did not fool me one bit.

Karate Warrior
    Italian rip-off of... Well, I'll leave you guessing.

Emma, Puerto Oscuros
    Jose-Ramon Larraz horror-film about a lady who snaps after a trafic accident. Quite bloody and moody, I enjoyed it!

The Muppet Christmas Carol
    It was alright, but not stellar. I had expected more. The sets and muppets were amazing however.

Deck the Halls
    Utter trash "comedy" with Matthew Broderick (who the hell gives him roles in comedies?) and a poorly written Danny DeVito.

In Bruges
    It's a little bit heavy handed, but the brazen gimmick really works. I really liked it, but it could have used some fine-tuning. Laughed a lot.

Klaus
    The animated film on Netflix. WOW, that's some good looking animation.

Noll Tolerans
    Swedish christmas/cop film.

The Ref
    Whatever happened to Dennis Leary? And do I care? Not really. Underwhelming home-invasion-turned-christmas-comedy film with Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis.

Black Christmas
    The first remake, from 2006. Actually quite enjoyable. The gore is so over-the-top.

The Ice Harvest
    Bland thriller with a very tired cast. Billy Bob Thornton, John Cusack and a bunch of other actors we've all seen in better and smarter films. Looks and feels like a tv-movie, despite being helmed by Harold Ramis.

The Knight before Christmas
    Absolute christmas-trash on Netflix. Somewhat enjoyable because of it.

The Death of Stalin
    Fun film!

Cold Skin
    A lighthouse watchman is stationed on a far-off and desolate island on the far reaches of the British Empire some time in the late 1800's. He soon becomes aware that the island is home to one other person, and that the island is also home to a group of carnivorous lizardmen who lurk in the dark. A great setup which becomes quite dull due to poor visuals and repetetive scenes. There's some steamy lizard-homo sapiens lovemaking going on in one scene. Or at least implied.
    It does sound great doesn't it? Well, it's not. It's way too dull, and every single suspense scene is identical to the last one. There's no variation and very little forward movement.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
    Caught in on TV. Hank Azaria is a great pharaoh.

Babylon A.D:
    I've seen this like three times and I don't know why. It was on TV, and it's just not good. French filmmakers should stop trying to make Hollywood-like films because they're just not very good at it. Again, see Cold Skin above. There's just a lack of finesse that makes it awkward and silly.

Bullitt
    Felt like revisiting this. Love it, of course.

The Case of the Bloody Iris
    Silly old giallo.

Mannekäng i Rött
    Mannequin in Red, an old swedish PRE-giallo giallo. Seriously, this came out 6 years before Blood and Black Lace but there are some enormous similarities.

Ryttare i Blått
    Sequel to the above mentioned film (it translates into: Rider in Blue). A ghost story set on a military academy. Not as good, but enjoyable.

Dien Bien Phu
    French film about the battle of Dien Bien Phu. Boring and poorly narrated. Maybe I'm just not a french cinema kinda person. Considered to be the definite frencn vietnam war film, but if that's the case I don't want to see any more of them.

Platoon
    We've all seen it, we all love it.

Good Morning Vietnam
    It's alright, but it was way simpler than I remembered it. In some aspects the 80's could not deliver, and war films is one such instance. Platoon being an exception.

Hamburger Hill
    Dull. Stale. Poorly acted, poorly directed, poor action, good music but used in an awkard way.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    Meh. Way too fast paced for it's own good. I can't even remember the plot. Zero emotion. So much happens in so little time.

Murder-Rock
    80's giallo by Lucio Fulci. Sort off a take on Flashdance... Except with killers.

So that was 45 films. I've got 82 more to list. I'll do it later.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-Apr-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: fdsfsd

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Pet Sematary
    The remake, which I liked!

Evil Ed
    A swedish splatter-film from the 90's. I've seen it lots of times before, but Arrow Video released it on Blu Ray a few years back and I finally caught up to it. I love it, but I live the behind scenes material more.

The Muppet Christmas Carol
    It was alright, but not stellar. I had expected more. The sets and muppets were amazing however.

In Bruges
    It's a little bit heavy handed, but the brazen gimmick really works. I really liked it, but it could have used some fine-tuning. Laughed a lot.
    Crikey, Ned. Someone's been putting a dent in their sofa!

1) I saw that a few weeks back and enjoyed it to a surprising degree. It's not without fault, but I had much more fun with it than I was expecting going into it.

2) I love Evil Ed! I stumbled across it at the arse end of the last millennium and got the VHS for a fiver. It's such a fun movie and, yep, the Arrow Video release is quite a hefty package of supplemental material (a 3 hour making of doc IIRC plus other stuff). There's a slightly longer version of the film also on there, and while it gives a little more context regarding Ed's wife (which kind of changes the viewer's perception about her a fair bit), I still prefer the original theatrical cut which I was so familiar with. Great effects and a lot of fun lines of dialogue. It's an under-rated and lesser known kind of flick.

3) What's with all the Christmas movies, Ned? I don't think I had ever seen Muppet's Christmas Carol before, so my first viewing was back in December and I quite enjoyed it. Like you said, the sense of scale with the muppets and the sets/world they created for it are superb.

4) I remember going to see In Bruges at the cinema and I loved it from the get-go. We and the audience were absolutely loving it. I was surprised by how it could shift tones so suddenly, but effectively. You could go from laughing to shock at some dramatic reveal, to surprise at some random twist of events, and then you'd be laughing again. I suppose you could also say it technically qualifies as an "alternative Christmas movie", sorta.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, but these are all films going all the way back to October! And I kinda feel the need to stress; I pretty much never watch television series, I only watch films. So it's "only" around 2-4 films a week.
    That also explains why there's a few christmas movies there... They were watched around - well - Christmas!

btw, I just realized... Evil Ed is sort off where I got my nick from, hehe
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-Apr-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: sdfds

Super Moderator

UK
    Deadwood: The Movie
    My second viewing. I liked it much more this time around than when I first saw it last year. I had just done a complete re-watch of all three seasons of Deadwood, so I was primed and fully refreshed on all the ins and outs of the show - so various little details in the 2019 movie were decidedly more rewarding as a result. While it doesn't give closure to everything, it does a better job than I'd originally thought, with certain moments really paying off for the viewer.

For example:

Hearst getting the shit kicked out of him by the townsfolk and getting put in the slammer - and once again being dragged into a cell by his ear. Similarly, when Alma manages to buy Charlie's land rather than Hearst, after having been forced to sell her gold claim previously after the murder of Mr Ellsworth.

There's a different tone, in some ways, that certainly speaks of Milch's own position in life - he's towards the end and, quite unfortunately, he has been diagnosed with Alzheimers - and now knowing that, the film takes on a deeper and more emotional meaning this time around.

Yeah, but these are all films going all the way back to October! And I kinda feel the need to stress; I pretty much never watch television series, I only watch films. So it's "only" around 2-4 films a week.
    That also explains why there's a few christmas movies there... They were watched around - well - Christmas!
    Ahhh, a catch-up post. Gotcha.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Catchup post 2 of 4

Macabre
    Lamberto Bavas first film, and I have to say I'm starting to like his films. They're competently made and pretty creative. This was the german blu, then 88 Films revealed they would release it in the UK.

The Killer with a Thousand Eyes
    Spanish/Italian eurocrime/giallo with Anthony Steffen who travels to Portugal to beat people up for 90 minutes. Enjoyable!

The 13th Warrior
    Wanted to revisit this film, which I still think is underrated. A great action-adventure.

Devil in the Brain
    Sergio Sollima did a lot of great spaghetti westerns and eurocrime/poliziotteschi, but this is his only giallo. It's not great, it's rather dull. But I watched a poor copy (only one available appears to be a TV-rip) and maybe there are subtleties to it that I did not pick up.

The King
    Netflix loose re-telling of Henry V. Timothee Chamelet just doesn't work for me. He's a bit dull and devoid of emotions. Not the kind of acting that gets me going.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key
    Had to revisit one of the very first giallos I ever watched, and I dismissed it at the time. But this is awesome! Actually I'd place it near the top of the tier! Love it.

Escape from New York
    At the cinemas, a local theater was showing it. Awesome.

Tombs of the Blind Dead
    Felt an itch and wanted to see something gothic. Great spanish medieval zombie film. I'm a big fan.

Short Night of the Glass Dolls
    A revisit. It's better than the first time I watched it, but it's a bit too slow for it to be a really interesting giallo.

Estigma
    Spanish Carrie-ish horror film by Larraz. Great soundtrack, the rest is meh.

La Polizia ringrazia
    English title: The Execution Squad. Pre-dating Magnum Force by one year this poliziotteschi has Enrico Maria Salerno chasing corrupt police officers who execute criminals without a trial. I love it.

Zombie Flesh Eaters
    Had to revisit this as well. This is a great film. It's suspenseful!

Outlaw King
    Felt like watching Netflix other Medieval kings tale. Not sure which I prefer, but I guess they're both OK in parts. The final battle in this was a bit silly. The english sure are dumb.

Pelle Svanslös
    Swedish animated film my studio released in January, which fortunately got to run it's theatrical run before Corona hit.

The Godfather
    Havent' seen this in 15 years and I'm grateful for that. Because this film is amazing. I so want to see the sequel now. I can't remember anything about it.

Once upon a time in America
    First time for me, and honestly, I didn't think it was all that great... The main characters are assholes and the plot is actually a bit confusing. The dramatic photography works for westerns, but not for a gangster film.

Star Trek: First Contact
    Dumb fun. Still, this film is more coherent and tells a closer-knit tale than the latest Star Wars films.

Super Moderator

UK
    Macabre
    Lamberto Bavas first film, and I have to say I'm starting to like his films. They're competently made and pretty creative. This was the german blu, then 88 Films revealed they would release it in the UK.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key
    Had to revisit one of the very first giallos I ever watched, and I dismissed it at the time. But this is awesome! Actually I'd place it near the top of the tier! Love it.

Once upon a time in America
    First time for me, and honestly, I didn't think it was all that great... The main characters are assholes and the plot is actually a bit confusing. The dramatic photography works for westerns, but not for a gangster film.
    1) I'm interested in seeing this one. I've enjoyed a few of his films - like A Blade In The Dark, Blastfighter, and Delirium - although I couldn't quite get into Demons or Demons 2, which was a surprise as they'd normally be right up my street, but I just couldn't get into them that much, even on a re-watch. Have you seen "Body Puzzle" (1992)? If not, don't bother - proper boring.

2) One of the finest giallo. I remember you not liking it originally and I was quite surprised. I dug it even more on a second viewing. A really good role for Edwige Fenech in that flick, and Anita Strindberg - that look of fear on her face in the final minutes of the film really sticks in the memory.

3) Yeah, I didn't know what the fuss was about either. DeNiro's character is an utter arsehole and yet the film wants you to feel sentimental with him ... as if! It's waaaaaaaaaaaay too long, as well. It was such a chore to get through, even with some beautiful cinematography and music. You either detest the characters or don't give a shit about them, which isn't much help when the movie's expecting you to see through so much plodding about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    1) I'm interested in seeing this one. I've enjoyed a few of his films - like A Blade In The Dark, Blastfighter, and Delirium - although I couldn't quite get into Demons or Demons 2, which was a surprise as they'd normally be right up my street, but I just couldn't get into them that much, even on a re-watch. Have you seen "Body Puzzle" (1992)? If not, don't bother - proper boring.
    I have seen Body Puzzle and I thought it was meh. I might revisit it sometime. As for the Demons-films, I can see the reason to diss them especially the second one which is really bland and not very exciting. But I dig the first one and both are great films to drink too because they're so crazy.
    Of the ones I've seen, I'd rank them:

1) Delirium
    2) A Blade in the Dark
    3) Demons
    4) Macabre
    5) Demons 2
    6) Monster Shark
    7) Body Puzzle