Page 141 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The Equalizer (2014) - Strangely enjoyable if at times clunky... 7/10
    The Equalizer 2 (2018) - Still enjoyable at times, but a rather predictable follow up... 6.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    'The Night Eats the World'

French zombie film, although shot in English. A great view of what one man has to do to survive in Paris during an undead outbreak. Low budget, but the money was used very well. Unfortunately, the zombies are the modern runabout types, but they don't really make any sounds, which adds a real genuine level of creep to them.

One of the best zombie films I've ever seen.

9/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

French zombie film, although shot in English. A great view of what one man has to do to survive in Paris during an undead outbreak. Low budget, but the money was used very well. Unfortunately, the zombies are the modern runabout types, but they don't really make any sounds, which adds a real genuine level of creep to them.

9/10
    This rings a bell from a movie trailer ... is it the one where some dude's stuck in an apartment block initially, and he's got to figure a way out first of all?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

9/10
    I watched that one a year or so ago and enjoyed it. There's a zombie trapped in the lift outside his apartment that he talks to if I remember rightly.

The last film I watched was "Danger Close - The battle of Long Tan". It's based on a true story of an Australian army unit during the height of the Vietnam war who got into a heavy contact with the NVA and had to call in artillery on their own position to hold them off. Good film with very realistic battle scenes, as a soldier myself the idea of ever getting into a contact like that makes my bum twitch!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    This rings a bell from a movie trailer ... is it the one where some dude's stuck in an apartment block initially, and he's got to figure a way out first of all?
    It's best not to tell too much about it Mini. But, yeh, he's in a typical Paris apartment block and has to make the best of it.

It's simply made, but very well made. Low key, if you can call a zombie apocalypse low key . But, it's injected with a sense of realism in that it feels like a series of events that one would have to endure in such a situation. It takes a bit from 'I am Legend', which I'll forgive cos everyone who embarks on an enclave in a zombie apocalypse story does.

But even me, who's pretty jaded by the whole zombie thing at this point, was gripped by it. Well worth sitting down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I watched that one a year or so ago and enjoyed it. There's a zombie trapped in the lift outside his apartment that he talks to if I remember rightly.
    Aye, that's the one Tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    The last film I watched was "Danger Close - The battle of Long Tan". It's based on a true story of an Australian army unit during the height of the Vietnam war who got into a heavy contact with the NVA and had to call in artillery on their own position to hold them off. Good film with very realistic battle scenes, as a soldier myself the idea of ever getting into a contact like that makes my bum twitch!
    Have you seen 'Kajaki'? Very good squaddie film set in Iraq.

If you want more Aussie Vietnam stuff, you should check out 'The Odd Angry Shot' too.

Great Britain
    Behind the mask the rise of Leslie Vernon 2006

In a world were Jason, Micheal Myers and Freddy exist, a documentary crew follow the next up coming serial killer showing them all the tricks of the trade.

Fun movie enjoyed it, not gory 7.5/10

Administrator

England
    Extraction (Netflix 2020) - Chris Hemsworth stars in a fairly solid and enjoyable action romp. The camera work and action is impressive... 7/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Fifth Cord
    A giallo that has a pretty by-the-numbers story (and with little in the way of bloody pay-off), but is one of the most gorgeous-looking films of the period. Visually it's a real treat, and there's a solid cast as well, it's just a shame that it's a little bit convoluted (although maybe it was me struggling to pay full attention) and that it's lacking when it comes to bloody spectacle (I've not idea why it's rated 18).

Santa Clarita Diet
    Not a movie, but a TV show on Netflix. Timothy Olyphant and Drew Barrymore play a middle class couple who are realtors, but their lives totally change when she gets sick ... dies ... but keeps on living, only now she has to eat human flesh in order to survive. It's very much in the comedy genre with a few moments of fun gore thrown about at regular intervals, and the 'zombie' aspect of it is really only tangential and doesn't follow the usual zombie genre trajectory at all really. The writing - especially the dialogue - is excellent, and the cast is all tip-top in their performances. We gave this one a go just to see and totally got into it. Unfortunately it was cancelled after three seasons (it definitely deserved more), but that shouldn't be a reason not to watch it. Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Extraction (Netflix 2020) - Chris Hemsworth stars in a fairly solid and enjoyable action romp. The camera work and action is impressive... 7/10
    Yeah, very solid action in this one. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I think there's a sequel in the works.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Whiteout (2009) - Kate Beckinsdale plays the US Marshal assigned to McMurdo, Antarctica (Yes, there really is one assigned there) who must investigate/solve a series of murders that revolve around the cargo of a Russian plane that crashed in 1957. 6.5/10 predictable but decently entertaining.
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Aug-2020 at 02:23 AM. Reason: g
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Great Britain
    Tragedy Girls 2017

Its a very enjoyable black comedy, it also stars one of my favorite actors Kevin Durand

Solid 7/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    The Colony (2013) = Larry Fishburne, Kevin Zegers, and Bill Paxton. 8/10 Awesome little movie! I'm not saying shite about the plot. A lot of you have probably seen this but I'm still gonna stay rather quiet except: New Ice Age. No vegetation on the surface. Neighboring colony calls for help...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Knives Out (2019) - Enjoyable murder mystery romp... 7.5/10

ps: I've moved all the T1 & T2 discsussion here - https://forum.homepageofthedead.com/...ad.php?t=24348
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    To Live & Die in L.A.
    Way back in my teens I recorded this off the telly, but it took me a few years to even get around to watching it, and at the time I wasn't much fussed by it - but I recently picked up the Arrow Video Blu-Ray (having also recently picked up their BR of Friedkin's "Cruising"), and this time around, all these years later, I was much more impressed by it and rather dug it.

I'm not surprised I didn't get on with it in my teens as the movie is a far more mature-minded film. Although, it does have some fantastic moments of action and sudden bursts of energy (e.g. the airport foot chase), and of course the car chase around the streets of L.A.'s industrial area is great. There's a pounding sense of style, too (e.g. the sequence where we see Dafoe's forger create a batch of funny money).

The last shot of the movie, though...

That one shot with William Petersen's car driving up and parking - what's that about? Kinda feels like something left in by accident, but being Friedkin it won't be of course, and while I understand the flashbacks to Petersen's character gets across the point that his partner is now the new handler for the female informant, that one shot of Petersen's car parking is a bit "what?" ... I mean, what's that intended to show or suggest? The character's dead, blasted in the face with a shotgun, so what, his partner's taken over his car as well or something? It's just a very curious shot to end the film on.

And thankfully Friedkin ditched the alternative ending that was being forced on him (it's included on the Blu-Ray as an extra). What a jarring tonal mis-step that would've been.

United States
    To Live & Die in L.A.
    Way back in my teens I recorded this off the telly, but it took me a few years to even get around to watching it, and at the time I wasn't much fussed by it - but I recently picked up the Arrow Video Blu-Ray (having also recently picked up their BR of Friedkin's "Cruising"), and this time around, all these years later, I was much more impressed by it and rather dug it.

I'm not surprised I didn't get on with it in my teens as the movie is a far more mature-minded film. Although, it does have some fantastic moments of action and sudden bursts of energy (e.g. the airport foot chase), and of course the car chase around the streets of L.A.'s industrial area is great. There's a pounding sense of style, too (e.g. the sequence where we see Dafoe's forger create a batch of funny money).

The last shot of the movie, though...

That one shot with William Petersen's car driving up and parking - what's that about? Kinda feels like something left in by accident, but being Friedkin it won't be of course, and while I understand the flashbacks to Petersen's character gets across the point that his partner is now the new handler for the female informant, that one shot of Petersen's car parking is a bit "what?" ... I mean, what's that intended to show or suggest? The character's dead, blasted in the face with a shotgun, so what, his partner's taken over his car as well or something? It's just a very curious shot to end the film on.

And thankfully Friedkin ditched the alternative ending that was being forced on him (it's included on the Blu-Ray as an extra). What a jarring tonal mis-step that would've been.
    Bro, I love this movie!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    To Live & Die in L.A.

I think it's just a signifier that Vukovich has taken everything his partner had, including his informant and his car, and he has become the same type of cop Chance was.