Page 143 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Don't Go In The House
    A low budget Psycho rip-off with disco music and flamethrowers chucked in. There's a few good and creepy moments, but the execution is surprisingly sloppy at times. The ADR work is quite noticeable (especially in one shot where the killer visits a priest and they talked - the priest's lips and words are totally independent of one another), and there's even a blatant bit of word replacement for some obscure reason in one of the early scenes. It does have a few moments (e.g. the nightmare sequence), but they can't really save the movie as a whole.

Psycho (1998)
    You could almost argue that Van Sant didn't even direct this movie, Hitchcock did, seeing as it's a shot-for-shot remake. The few tweaks that Van Sant made (the most obvious being Norman Bates bashing the bishop quite loudly as he watches Marion Crane through the peephole) add nothing to the movie, or try to force some sort of metaphor (e.g. the stupid 'subliminal' cutaways to stormy skies or what have you, or the bird cage in the closing minutes). However, because it's a copy of the original movie, a lot of it still works - because it's just copying an all-time great - and it does have a bit of curio value, although there's no need to watch it again ... ever ... because, obviously, Hitch's original film is king.

United States
    Always found making a shot for shot remake quite weird. What’s the point lol especially doing over a classic.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Always found making a shot for shot remake quite weird. What’s the point lol especially doing over a classic.
    Yeah, it really is quite pointless. A curio, as I've said, but a pointless curio. There's also a bunch of audio changes - silly additions (such as children laughing etc) that add nothing except a distraction - and the shower scene really lacks a surprising amount of punch when compared to the original - and it was done shot-for-shot. 'Mother' didn't look anywhere near as good, either - too much light, for one thing.

One of the changes was giving Marion's sister a walkman that she seems to be superglued to - she even directly references it at some point! ... oooh ... wow.

Great Britain
    The Babysitter 2007 I found this quite enjoyable tbh 8/10

The Babysitter: Killer queen 2020 not as good as the first it was fine 6/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Kidnap Syndicate
    Fernando di Leo crime/revenge flick from the 1970s, starring Luc Merenda and James Mason, about the kidnapping of a rich man's son which also involves the unintended kidnapping of a poor man's son. The first half is pretty slow (it feels like a good ten minutes could be lopped out and that certain scenes throughout the movie feel like they break the classic screenwriting rule of "arrive late, leave early"), but the second half finally gets things pumping with gunfights and car chases. Certain elements are just kinda dropped (e.g. James Mason's character completely disappears from the movie at one point, never to be seen again), but it's an interesting film at least in so far as it's an early example of the modern and violent revenge film.

Le Mans 66
    Otherwise known as "Ford v Ferrari", Christian Bale plays race driver Ken Miles and Matt Damon plays Carroll Shelby as Ford attempts to beat Ferrari at the Le Mans 24 hour race. It is indeed an epic motor racing story, and I can't imagine this angle on the story will go down awfully well with the Italians, but I found it to be really quite enjoyable. Even though a lot of the racing feels like it was just done with special effects, there's still a good sense of speed and engine grunt behind it, but the central performances really spirit things along - Bale especially, as the affable Northerner in America who speaks his mind and can't stand company politics. The father/son part of the story was quite effective, too.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Le Mans 66
    Otherwise known as "Ford v Ferrari", Christian Bale plays race driver Ken Miles and Matt Damon plays Carroll Shelby as Ford attempts to beat Ferrari at the Le Mans 24 hour race. It is indeed an epic motor racing story, and I can't imagine this angle on the story will go down awfully well with the Italians, but I found it to be really quite enjoyable. Even though a lot of the racing feels like it was just done with special effects, there's still a good sense of speed and engine grunt behind it, but the central performances really spirit things along - Bale especially, as the affable Northerner in America who speaks his mind and can't stand company politics. The father/son part of the story was quite effective, too.
    Yeh, really enjoyed this... Good buddy/motor flick.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, really enjoyed this... Good buddy/motor flick.
    Yeah, the relationship - both the friendship and the professional working partnership - between Miles and Shelby works great on-screen, and Bale and Damon portray it wonderfully. It was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the film.

Also fun to see, albeit in a smaller role, Jon Bernthal in the cast.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Psycho (1998)
    You could almost argue that Van Sant didn't even direct this movie, Hitchcock did, seeing as it's a shot-for-shot remake. The few tweaks that Van Sant made (the most obvious being Norman Bates bashing the bishop quite loudly as he watches Marion Crane through the peephole) add nothing to the movie, or try to force some sort of metaphor (e.g. the stupid 'subliminal' cutaways to stormy skies or what have you, or the bird cage in the closing minutes). However, because it's a copy of the original movie, a lot of it still works - because it's just copying an all-time great - and it does have a bit of curio value, although there's no need to watch it again ... ever ... because, obviously, Hitch's original film is king.
    I've never gotten this movie. Besides including the nude scenes that Hitchcock wanted but was vetoed by the studio brass on, this movie has nothing to offer. If you want to see Anne Heche's ass bent over the tub...fine, but there are nicer asses to look at and WAY more imaginative movies to watch. I've always thought this was a dud. My first wife and I thought so. The present boss saw it years ago and doesn't ever want to see it again. That's fine by me.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I never saw Psycho '98, but I watched a Youtube video reviewing it and showing lots of clips from it. Vince Vaughn in NOT a convincing Norman Bates, or even a good actor. And they added basically very little new material besides a scene of him jerking off!?! Really!?! WTF! Sigh. Not a movie I will ever waste my time watching. It also supports my theory that 98% of remakes and reboots are pure trash.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 19-Sep-2020 at 12:49 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah, that was one of the other problems with it - Vince Vaughn simply couldn't make Norman Bates seem nice and safe. That weird laugh, the look, his physicality - it was all wrong for the part - you know the guy's 'off' quite quickly, whereas Anthony Perkins got the tone perfectly. You'd trust that guy enough to go into his parlour. You wouldn't with Vince Vaughn. I've liked Vaughn in various things (not so much the later comedies, though), but he was miscast in this film ... just wasn't right.

And Sam Loomis as some religious cowboy? You wot?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I never saw Psycho '98, but I watched a Youtube video reviewing it and showing lots of clips from it. Vince Vaughn in NOT a convincing Norman Bates, or even a good actor. And they added basically very little new material besides a scene of him jerking off!?! Really!?! WTF! Sigh. Not a movie I will ever waste my time watching. It also supports my theory that 98% of remakes and reboots are pure trash.
    It's a ridiculous movie. Like I said, Anne Heche's nude scenes are the only thing in this movie that Hitchcock wanted in the original but couldn't film because of the Hays Code. The scene of Norman jerkin' the gherkin is one of the biggest cinematic whatever in the history of film. This movie really irks me (can ya tell?) because it tries to imitate an absolute classic and fails in every imaginable way. Even the worst remakes (Day of the Dead??) try to offer something new...even if it's a fucked up, half-assed "Bub." There is an attempt at adding something. This movie should be shot into the sun.
    Last edited by Mike70; 21-Sep-2020 at 02:02 AM. Reason: mama say mama saw de macusan

Ireland
    Always been a mystery why Van Sant agreed to do it in the first place. Surely a director such as him would have balked at such a terrible idea? He later said that it was an "experiment".

Fuck me, I wish I had 60,000,000 to do pointless experiments.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Being Attacked

United States
    Just seen #Alive.
    It's pretty decent in some parts. I enjoyed some of the scenes but some of the screenplay was really contrived. I think they wanted to show off certain moves that hasn't really been done in a zombie flick before and it was not organic at all and took me out of the film.
    The female actress did a great job though, the boy was a dimwitted nut who can't figure anything out and it's really annoying how his dimwitted personality drove the plot forward (also at the same time, doesn't, and will take a break for pointless chase scenes).
    The films conclusion is noncliche to an extent that it's not a hopeless or ambiguous ending like most zombie flicks. South Korean films like to show off Military competence and it's refreshing to see that men and women in uniform who are trained to be great behind a rifle are actually shown to be great behind the rifle and not a bunch of useless meatshields for the main protagonists like in Walking Dead or Dawn of the Dead.

I'd give it a 5.5/10. Would have been a 6 if the boy wasn't an idiot and some other things but I don't want to spoil anything lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Always been a mystery why Van Sant agreed to do it in the first place. Surely a director such as him would have balked at such a terrible idea? He later said that it was an "experiment".

Fuck me, I wish I had 60,000,000 to do pointless experiments.

lmao My buddy and I were talking one time about if we ever had 100,000,000 dollars we would use millions of dollars to soup up a honda civic to troll drag racers for fun.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyinyang View Post
    lmao My buddy and I were talking one time about if we ever had 100,000,000 dollars we would use millions of dollars to soup up a honda civic to troll drag racers for fun.

Well, that would certainly make more sense than pissing it away doing a shot for shot remake of a classic movie that was obviously doomed to failure.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well, that would certainly make more sense than pissing it away doing a shot for shot remake of a classic movie that was obviously doomed to failure.
    Donate it to Travolta to make the next installment of Battlefield Earth.