Page 144 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    The Gentlemen
    Guy Ritchie movie starring Matthew McConaughey as an American living in the UK who has established a massive underground ganja empire and is looking to sell it. Gang war stuff ensues as a greasy reporter played by Hugh Grant tries to blackmail Matty's right hand man (played by Charlie Hunham) for £20 million.

Despite the odd iffy bit, or the odd tonally jarring moment, I enjoyed this quite a lot. Colin Farrell is always worth a watch, too (he plays the owner of a boxing gym for troubled youths), and Guy Ritchie's fondness for 'darkly comic violence' is present and correct. Anyone too sensitive towards "the c-word" will no doubt get their knickers in a twist over this flick, which uses it continuously to a degree that is somewhat silly (like a kid who's just discovered a new bad word), but considering how mainstream the f-word is, there's few places to go in terms of swear words these days.

Hugh Grant's "Fletcher" is quite entertaining, but the character is always weaving along the line of acceptability - i.e. silly enough/too silly - and a few elements of the film similarly weave this way and that, but ultimately it's quite a breezy bit of gangster fun. Worth checking out.

Can We Take A Joke?
    A 2016 documentary (available on Prime) that is still absolutely relevant in today's climate where free speech is continuously attacked by supposedly enlightened minds. Focusing on comedy and satire, it's filled with horrific stories - and footage - of censorious arseholes going to great lengths to enact an Orwellian nightmare and seep it into the global psyche as being acceptable behaviour. The only issue - the editing is bizarrely tight at times, with the narration slamming right up against interview clips with no moment for pause (at one point they actually cross over each other!) ... why edit it so sharply? You don't get enough time to let a statement land before you're flying off into voice over or an interview. That one technical thing aside, this doc absolutely needs to be widely seen.

Great Britain
    Ready or Not 2019 very fun movie, quite gory, dark comedy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Ready or Not 2019 very fun movie, quite gory, dark comedy.
    Does that have Samara Weaving in it, as someone marrying into a rich family? I think I skimmed past that last night on Sky Movies while channel hopping.

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Does that have Samara Weaving in it, as someone marrying into a rich family? I think I skimmed past that last night on Sky Movies while channel hopping.
    Yes thats the one, its a fun movie, Samara Weaving very good in it she was good in the Babysitter movie too, plus she looks like Margot Robbie so much my partner thought it was her watching the movie last night lol.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 25-Sep-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes thats the one, its a fun movie, Samara Weaving very good in it she was good in the Babysitter movie too, plus she looks like Margot Robbie so much my partner thought it was her watching the movie last night lol.
    Speaking of...

The Babysitter
    I gave this a go last night, despite it being directed by McG (the disgraceful US pilot of Spaced, Terminator 4), but he did a good job with this fun and breezy horror comedy (written by Brian Duffield) about a 12 year old boy whose parents go away for the weekend, leaving him with his sexy babysitter (played by Samara Weaving). Curious about what babysitters get up to after they go to bed, the boy stays up and sneaks a peak of a game of spin the bottle ... that takes a very different turn. Filled with splattery gore gags and some tasty dialogue, it's a brisk and entertaining watch. Definitely worth checking out - it's available on Netflix.

There's a sequel - The Babysitter: Killer Queen - which I'm currently half-way through watching.

Fun aside - the house where the girl who Cole fancies lives is, if I'm not mistaken, the same house that was Murtaugh's in Lethal Weapon, and used for exteriors in Christmas Vacation.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Sep-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Speaking of...

The Babysitter
    I gave this a go last night, despite it being directed by McG (the disgraceful US pilot of Spaced, Terminator 4), but he did a good job with this fun and breezy horror comedy (written by Brian Duffield) about a 12 year old boy whose parents go away for the weekend, leaving him with his sexy babysitter (played by Samara Weaving). Curious about what babysitters get up to after they go to bed, the boy stays up and sneaks a peak of a game of spin the bottle ... that takes a very different turn. Filled with splattery gore gags and some tasty dialogue, it's a brisk and entertaining watch. Definitely worth checking out - it's available on Netflix.

There's a sequel - The Babysitter: Killer Queen - which I'm currently half-way through watching.

Fun aside - the house where the girl who Cole fancies lives is, if I'm not mistaken, the same house that was Murtaugh's in Lethal Weapon, and used for exteriors in Christmas Vacation.
    The wife and I watched this recently and It met with both our approval. It's not a classic. It's not even that awe inspiring. It's a fun movie within the limits of reasonable shite. I'll agree with MZ - the dialogue is rather good. Worth your time and believe me, gentle bitches- we've all watched worse.
    Last edited by Mike70; 26-Sep-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: mama say mama saw de macusan
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    The Kingdom - South Korean TV show. 9/10. A tense historical and political drama mixed with a zombie show. This is frickin' fabulous. Netflix dropped almost $2 million an episode on this show and you can tell. Every bit of it is on the screen. High quality stuff.

Administrator

England
    The Godfather - Not watched it since my teens. Enjoyable gangster flick. Now onto part II. 8/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Babysitter: Killer Queen
    There's enough in it that's enjoyable to make it worth watching for anyone who has seen the original, but with the original screenwriter not on scripting duties (replaced by FOUR others, including McG himself ... oh dear) the sequel simply isn't a patch on the first movie. Killer Queen reheats too many bits from the previous movie, with one character twist feeling a bit cheap and 'tossed in', and running 20 minutes longer than the original movie, the sequel lacks a sense of propulsion. Still, there's some decent gore gags and some fun moments scattered throughout, and it's nice to follow-up with the characters a couple years down the line, but yeah ... there's no denying that Killer Queen is a pale follow-up. Mind you, if - and it's likely a long shot "if" at this point - if they did a third movie, I'd still check it out.

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    The Kingdom - South Korean TV show. 9/10. A tense historical and political drama mixed with a zombie show. This is frickin' fabulous. Netflix dropped almost $2 million an episode on this show and you can tell. Every bit of it is on the screen. High quality stuff.
    This so much, it's a fantastic series also has wonderful hats.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 28-Sep-2020 at 04:20 PM. Reason: hats

United States
    I’ve only seen season 1. I liked it. I have to check out season 2 some time.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    The Jesus Rolls
    A sort of spin-off from The Big Lebowski (in that it features the character of "Jesus", the bowling ball-licking ex-con), but if you go in expecting anything like that movie, even remotely, then you'll be disappointed as it really has next to fuck all to do with The Big Lebowski ... it's more like an adaptation of a book with the character of Jesus inserted into it.

It's an off-kilter, meandering low-key crime spree type of a film, with a few intriguing moments, but plenty of awkward sex scenes thrown in that just kinda feel a bit weird or even a bit creepy ... although don't count me as one of those censorious chumps who want to see an end to all on-screen nudity in that misguided 21st century Twittering puritan kinda way.

So, yeah ... anyway ... it's an odd duck of a movie. Go in knowing it has basically nothing to do with The Big Lebowski, in terms of content or style, and you might have a better experience with it than I did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Hell Yes! Those medieval Korean Stetson-style hats are wicked cool. The pimp hats with the peacock feathers are awesome too.

Administrator

England
    Enola Holmes (Netflix 2020) - Perfectly watchable Sherlock Holmes type flick, but with his younger sister as the main role. More of a family flick. 7/10.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

So far, there's been only two movies that have cut it with the "younger" or "relative" take on the Sherlock Holmes mythos:

1- The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1975) (notice the singularity of the activity in the title, LOL! Perspicacious people who haven't seen it will already easily guess that this must obviously be a comedy/parody)

2- Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)