Page 145 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Haunting of Bly Manor

We’re having a wet weekend due to a nearby hurricane, so I stayed in and powered through Mike Flanagan’s follow up to The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. The series is an anthology, so this second season has no connections other than the same actors and creative team. This season is an adaptation of Turning of the Screw.

At this point, I think the first season was the best, but that’s not to suggest the new season is a failure - I loved it! Flanagan is one of my favorite writer/directors working today. He brings the horror while also injecting it with a bit of reflection on our own lives and experiences. Like any good horror film, there’s much more beneath the surface if you’re receptive to it.

Much like Hill House, Blu Manor isn't strictly horror. It’s certainly got it’s share of scares, but it’s deeper than that and can leave you reflecting on your own life experiences and loved ones when the credits roll. Can’t wait to see the next season! Highly recommended!
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Oct-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

We’re having a wet weekend due to a nearby hurricane, so I stayed in and powered through Mike Flanagan’s follow up to The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. The series is an anthology, so this second season has no connections other than the same actors and creative team. This season is an adaptation of Turning of the Screw.

At this point, I think the first season was the best, but that’s not to suggest the new season is a failure - I loved it! Flanagan is one of my favorite writer/directors working today. He brings the horror while also injecting it with a bit of reflection on our own lives and experiences. Like any good horror film, there’s much more beneath the surface if you’re receptive to it.

Much like Hill House, Blu Manor isn't strictly horror. It’s certainly got it’s share of scares, but it’s deeper than that and can leave you reflecting on your own life experiences and loved ones when the credits roll. Can’t wait to see the next season! Highly recommended!
    I really enjoyed "Bly Manor." The Turn of the Screw is one of my favorite stories ever and if you want to keep the mystery intact, don't read Henry James's letters. He gives it all up. Anyhoo, I've watched every single version of this that I've come across and I really like this one. There is a nice balance to the story. It's creepy and atmospheric. The Haunting of Hill House was AWESOME. This a damn worthy follow up. I 'm a big sucker for a good haunted house kinda story and this doesn't disappoint.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Just realised I posted these in the wrong thread!

Ready Or Not
    Samara Weaving is a young bride marrying into a mega rich family, who have strange traditions around playing games on certain events - marriages being one of them. It's a mix of horror and appropriately-placed humour that makes for quite an entertaining ride that breezes along at a nice pace. Some good gore moments too - both humorous splatter and wince-inducing grue. I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would, so I'd certainly recommend it.

An American Werewolf In London
    The first time I saw it, say about ten years ago, I'd heard so much about it and seen so many clips, that my first viewing simply couldn't live up to expectations. I enjoyed it, but it didn't quite work for me. A couple years later I re-watched it and was able to enjoy it much more fairly on its own terms. Now, several years on, I picked up the Arrow Video Blu-Ray and have seen it for a third time and I really dig it. It's a classic.

United States
    Werewolf in London is indeed a classic. Nothing quite like it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    'Winchester 73'

I've been saturating myself in westerns lately, even though (outside of the revisionist westerns) it's never been a genre that I've been overly fond of. But, even so, within its realm there are a number of genuine old time classics that are a must see for anyone who's interested in film in general. Alongside 'Shane', 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' or '3:10 to Yuma', 'Winchester 73' is definitely one of them. Based on the famous "gun that tamed the wild west" (although the Colt may disagree) 'Winchester 73' stars the great Jimmy Stewart as Lin McAdam, who rides into Dodge City with his ever faithful friend High-Spade Frankie Wilson (Milard Mitchell) and they enter a shooting competition in which the prize is a Winchester repeating rifle model 1873. Upon surrendering their six shooters, as was the historical policy in Dodge City, McAdam is surprised to find Dutch Henry Brown (Stephen McNally), a man who he's been looking for. What's more, Dutch has also entered the competition. After some, frankly unbelievable, shooting even for Hollywood standards, McAdam wins the rifle, much to the consternation of Dutch who seeks to steal it back. Thus a series of events is set in motion as we follow a number of characters and their overlapping circumstances, and the Winchester 73 macguffin as it goes through a number of different hands.

'Winchester 73' was made in 1950 and while it certainly has the tendency to fall into cliche here and there, it is nevertheless a compelling story, well directed and more than capably performed by all concerned. Directed by Anthony Mann, it eschews the stupidity of a John Ford film and eliminates the weaknesses of Howard Hawks, to result in a Hollywood cowboy movie that can enjoyed today on today's terms and not purely its own. That is to say, the viewer doesn't have to enter into a state of forgiveness or make excuses for its shortcomings to be entertained by it. Of course, that is not to say that it's completely free of period issues, such as white actors as Indians, but this is one of the few (if only) transgressions the film makes with regards to 1950's movie making.

The film was also largely responsible for kickstarting the second wave of Hollywood westerns, which had been suffering from a lull in popularity. It also did wonders for Stewart's own profile, not to mention his bank account and, while he was already a major actor, it catapulted him into the bracket of Hollywood superstar. Stewart is his usual consummate self in the "everyman" role of Lin McAdam, delivering everything you'd expect from his, admittedly, limited range. He effortlessly draws the viewer into the adventure and invites us to follow him. But the support is also fantastic, with genuinely entertaining performances all round. Even the second tier support from the likes of John McIntire as the Indian trader, or Will Geer (Grandpa from 'The Waltons') as Wyatt Earp are great and make their roles much larger than they were written and special mention should go to Dan Duryea as Waco Johnnie Dean, a charming and smiling, yet utterly ruthless killer. And the only female lead of the piece, the brilliant Shelly Winters, goes toe to toe with the men on the screen and is just as entertaining to watch as she smart mouths her way through one perilous situation to the next. There are also a couple of future stars in very minor roles that will reward the observant, one of whom was quite a surprise.

The director, Anthony Mann, who up til 1950 had only helmed B movies, keeps tight hold of a great but potentially rambling script. In the hands of another director, the film could have been a bit of mess, but Mann steers a contained, focused, story and manages to get the best out of his actors with, perhaps, the only weak exception being Charles Drake as the Stephen Miller. In fairness to Drake, he probably has the most unappreciative type of role in the movie, so we can cut him a bit of slack.

'Winchester 73' is a film that I have long known about, but always dismissed as a "50's western", thinking it was just another movie from that era that would end up being a tired exhibition of the usual tropes and cliches of the genre from that particular period. But, contrary to that, it's an authentic gem that's worth every second of the viewer's time.

9/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Danger Close (2019 - Netflix) - Based on the Battle of Long Tan where the Aussies/Kiwis fought a far greater number of Viet Cong soldiers. 7.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Yummy 2020 its a Belgium zombie black comedy, all right gore, daft plot, uninteresting characters, not awful had some budget, just nothing special like most zombie movies at the moment. 5/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Just finished this up last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like Bassman, I'd say that The Haunting of Hill House was better (certainly more skewed towards horror, also), but that Bly Manor was still really good and totally sucked me in with it's great writing and performances. It's more of a Gothic romance than a ghost story, although "haunting" is quite a good way of describing the story as the echoes of people's past transgressions come back to haunt them. It's gradually paced, and generally quite subtle, so don't go in expecting jump scares or any real level of horror - it's a different vibe than that.

Still, it's always fun to let your eyes drift to the background of a shot and see, lurking in the dark, the stoic shape of what could be, yes, quite possibly, yes, definitely is a figure - a person from Bly's history who is trapped on the grounds. There's also some other similar shots that'll get you rewinding to check if you did see something move...

There's a moment when the au pair is putting Flora to bed and just when she leaves the shot, there's a doll which moves its head to follow the au pair just for a brief moment.

It's good to pay attention to these background figures as they're all part of the story or get referenced later on. So, yeah, I really enjoyed it! Bring on a third Haunting story!

Super Moderator

UK
    Videoman
    A Swedish film from 2018 about Ennio (based in-part on a real guy), a middle-aged former owner of the best video rental shop in Sweden, whose life has come apart (living in a basement, divorced, in debt), but gets a chance to sell a rare copy of Lucio Fulci's "Zombi" on VHS to a mysterious collector known as Faceless. Meanwhile, Ennio gets to know Simone, a woman pining for her 1980s heyday while battling the bottle and loneliness.

The personal stories of the two main characters work quite well and pull you in, as does the nostalgia for/fascination with 70s/80s Italian exploitation movies (e.g. glimpses of movies like "Thriller", or the scene where Ennio and a fellow genre fiend argue about whether a hardcore insert in "Cold Blooded Beast" is in fact Rosalba Neri or not). What works not so well is the subplot revolving around the strange character of 'Faceless' and the VHS of "Zombi" which goes missing. It feels like that part of the script wasn't developed enough with paranoia and peril feeling a bit vague and ultimately without much point. That thread in the story just needed a bit more work to help tie it into the rest of the film better, and to bring in some of the other VHS fanatic side characters into the overall story a little bit better.

That said, I really enjoyed this movie!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Oct-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Ireland
    'The Evil Dead'

Sam Raimi's ridiculously popular cheapy from 1981 - he actually started making it in 1979 - wasn't a hit with me when I first saw it in the late 80's. It was, to all intents and purposes, banned for much of the decade and when it was finally released on video, it was heavily cut. But with all the hype surrounding it, it simply couldn't have lived up to any expectations. That and the fact that it was made for a couple a quid and a bag of chips meant that the impression it left wasn't that deep. In the years after, 'Evil Dead II' became the only film of the series that I could say was enjoyable, with 'Army of Darkness' being relegated to a dumb waste of time where it always sat for me.

However, on recent viewing, 'The Evil Dead' revealed itself to be a very different film than I remembered and much more enjoyable than I recalled. In fact, I can say that it's the best of the series, although it's really a very different beast to anything that came after it. Modelling itself more after a straightforward horror rather than the silly Three Stooges slapstick of later movies, it has a completely different atmosphere altogether. There is still fun to be had, of course, but you won't see any of the nonsense that goes on in the likes of 'Evil Dead II'.

In 'The Evil Dead' we're introduced to Ash Williams, the ever tormented protagonist of the series, who travels to a remote cabin in Tennessee with his girlfriend Linda, his sister Cheryl and their 2 mates, Scott and Shelly. There they discover in the basement, the Book of the Dead (the film's original title) and a tape recorder with strange incantations, which they play (of course) and summon up a Kandarian demon who possesses Ash's companions and turns them into deadites.

It's all a load of bunkum of course, but it's impossible not to admire the sheer effort put into everything by the young and inexperienced film makers which results in a very pleasing, messy, grindhouse, classic shot on delightfully grainy 16mm film. It's story isn't anything to write home about and it's been done to death in subsequent years too (in fact it was a staple of horror years before), but that doesn't take anything away from it and at a mere 85 minutes, it races by in short order.

8/10

*As an aside, the commentary track on the blu ray by Bruce Campbell is a great listen.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'The Evil Dead'

8/10
    I'm glad you've been able to re-evaluate The Evil Dead. I love that movie. My first viewing of it was on a heavily cut 4-Front VHS. My mates at school had seen it a couple of weeks beforehand, but their impressions didn't really extend much beyond "green mash potato" and "a pencil in the ankle" ... so I wasn't going in all stoked for it, but at the same time their lukewarm reaction didn't do much to lessen my own keen intrigue. I remember being pretty blown away by it - and that was the cut version - and I've loved it ever since.

There's a great book on the Making Of the film, and of course there's loads of extras on the Blu-Ray. The various commentaries I've listened to for the Evil Dead films and show have always been gold, especially for the first 3 movies. The whole story behind how they put that movie together has always appealed to me, really a case of a bunch of friends running into the woods with a camera to make a horror movie - and to come out with something that put such a fresh look and feel on an old trope (spooky doings in a woodland cabin) makes it even more of a marvel to me.

United States
    I enjoy The Evil Dead as well. I prefer serious toned horror movies, and I like it more than ED II, which was a little too goofy with too much slap-stick nonsense. Army of Darkness was pretty off the charts goofy as well, but I actually enjoy it more than ED II for some reason. Some of Ash's one liners were pretty awesome. I own all three and have no problem watching any of the them.

I'm not in love with it, but even the remake was somewhat passable for a change.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm glad you've been able to re-evaluate The Evil Dead. I love that movie. My first viewing of it was on a heavily cut 4-Front VHS. My mates at school had seen it a couple of weeks beforehand, but their impressions didn't really extend much beyond "green mash potato" and "a pencil in the ankle" ... so I wasn't going in all stoked for it, but at the same time their lukewarm reaction didn't do much to lessen my own keen intrigue. I remember being pretty blown away by it - and that was the cut version - and I've loved it ever since.

There's a great book on the Making Of the film, and of course there's loads of extras on the Blu-Ray. The various commentaries I've listened to for the Evil Dead films and show have always been gold, especially for the first 3 movies. The whole story behind how they put that movie together has always appealed to me, really a case of a bunch of friends running into the woods with a camera to make a horror movie - and to come out with something that put such a fresh look and feel on an old trope (spooky doings in a woodland cabin) makes it even more of a marvel to me.
    Yeh, it's a nice and rare event these days to be able to go back and watch something you'd written off and be pleasantly wrong. It's not crap, it's great! Frankly, it's usually the other way around. I've watched it a few times now since last week. Something I haven't done since I was a kid during the video rental days. The wife walked in on me watching it for the third time, rolled her eyes and walked back out again.

The making of doc was pretty good too and hearing how the picture was made is genuinely interesting. Although I've never been a fan of Sam Raimi, I have to say, 'The Evil Dead' has shot to a high place on the best horror list and it's easily his best film for me.

It's a great little movie and one I'll return to again soon, I reckon. Maybe I'll put it on next week, just to see herself roll her eyes again.

Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I enjoy The Evil Dead as well. I prefer serious toned horror movies, and I like it more than ED II, which was a little too goofy with too much slap-stick nonsense. Army of Darkness was pretty off the charts goofy as well, but I actually enjoy it more than ED II for some reason. Some of Ash's one liners were pretty awesome. I own all three and have no problem watching any of the them.

I'm not in love with it, but even the remake was somewhat passable for a change.
    I prefer serious tones myself. My desert island movie is 'Day of the Dead' and it doesn't get more serious than that.

Re: 'Evil Dead II', I've seen that film dozens of times since the 80's, but upon viewing No.1 again and seeing it in a different light, it's kinda hard for me to appreciate it now. I suppose because the first one got memory hole'd, I always figured that it was just a poor prototype where the comedy didn't work. But it's not a comedy at all. It's a straight up horror movie and II looks silly in every respect next to it now. It's like the lampoon version.

It's impossible not to like Bruce Campbell though, so it still gets a pass.

The remake was actually one of the few that did it for me. I really like it and I love the way it had the balls just to go for the gross out. There's even one or two places in the film that made me genuinely squirm and as a guy in his 40's that's seen a lot of horror films, that is something that doesn't happen often these days.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, "Evil Dead" (2013) was surprisingly decent. The dialogue needed work, mind; too much "I'm your sister" type thuddingness in the first half. But yeah, it really went for the gore and gross out spectacle, and while there were a couple of stylistic choices (it felt a bit too 'Exorcisty' at times, and the lack of all-white eyes for the possessed bugged me), it managed to do a solid job. The original, naturally, is King, but the remake didn't trample on anything either.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I prefer serious tones myself. My desert island movie is 'Day of the Dead' and it doesn't get more serious than that.
    I wasn't quite sure about it when I first saw it as a teen, but Day might be my all time favorite zombie movie too. It seems to get better with every viewing. Even the soundtrack works for me.