Page 151 of 173 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
    The first half was a bit of a chore, but once the movie starts wearing all of it's Carrie/The Exorcist/A Nightmare On Elm Street influences very much on its sleeve it picks up. The characters are generally pretty bland and weak for the most part (forgettable supporting characters, too, for the most part), but of course Michael Ironside raises the game with ease every time he shows up on screen. It's kinda funny, really, 'cos you have zero sympathy for Mary Lou - the character is a totally self-obsessed bitch. The lead female's hair is something else, too ... good lord ... it's more unruly than Mary Lou! So yeah, an okay movie ... really just watching it so I can get more out of the 'How Did This Get Made?' podcast episode about this movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Night of the Blood Beast 1958 AIP 2/10

I love schlocky drive-in flicks. This, however, isn't one of them. Let's see -astronaut returns from space, crashes, dies. His body is recovered and taken to a base. He appears to be dead but isn't. Base is cut off from outside world by the electromagnetic effects of the crash. Astronaut returns to life, havoc ensues, etc.

What you have is the plot to The Thing From Another World put through the suburbs of Ripoffsville. Pfft on this one.
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Feb-2021 at 01:32 PM. Reason: s
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    'What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael'

Interesting documentary by Rob Garver on the famous film critic, Pauline Kael, that charts her journey from its humble start (a negative review of Chaplin's 'Limelight') to writing often controversial reviews for the New Yorker. Always a divisive figure in film criticism, and one who possessed a razor ship tongue, Kael at her height could slice one movie in half and help generate an audience for another. She could, at times, be absolutely merciless even about directors she liked and she had an impact that couldn't be underestimated. But she always remained an interesting read, even for people who vehemently disagreed with her opinion even if her opinions could often draw the most venomous flak - she was absurdly called an anti Semite because she said that Claude Lanzmann's interminable 'Shoah' was "bad filmmaking and bad history". She regularly affected film makers in a very real way too, as evidenced by David Lean's shell shocked aftermath from meeting her in a round table discussion of his films, who went on think question why he was even making films in the first place.

But Kael was far from being a snipe-style critic. She never set out to specifically destroy a film, just because, and likewise didn't shill for any particular studio either, despite (I'm sure) being approached to do so in the way that so many critics are. But she could be lethal about a film she didn't like or that didn't resonate with her to some degree.

It often appeared, too, that she was incapable of getting to grips with certain genres which was definitely one of her limitations and, aside from 1978's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', I cannot immediately recall many favourable Sci-Fi or Horror movie reviews from her, although I'm sure there must be some. But, for instance, she was, at best, middling about 'Star Wars', didn't like '2001 A Space Odyssey', and loathed 'The Exorcist' (which I think mostly stemmed from her distaste of William Peter Blatty's book). All three examples are, rightly in my opinion, lauded today as great examples of cinema for various reasons. At the same time, though, she championed trashy movies and said that they had their place, which other (more lofty) critics often just dismissed without a single thought.

She would, as well, offer praise to films that were generally despised at the time. Her review of 'Bonnie and Clyde' genuinely helped make that film attain the classic status it enjoys today. Likewise, her positivity about 'Last Tango in Paris' was responsible for getting many bums on seats that would otherwise have not bothered.

Even today in the sea of Tom Dick and Harry film criticism that the web has allowed, or maybe even because of it, her reviews offer an important insight into alternative contemplations on the art form and they often challenge you to have a rethink about that classic movie you hold dear.

9/10

'Dracula' Some spoilers ahead...

Never has a book or character been so wildly abused as poor old Bram Stoker's late 19th Century creation and this effort from last year sees yet another attempt to mangle the author's classic for the screen. Shot as a miniseries, where each episode is about 90 minutes long, it runs the gamut of the (nearly) sublime to the catastrophically ridiculous and it's very hard to remember anything that starts out so, so, well and then shits the bed so badly it can only be cleansed by fire.

This BBC/Netflix production of 'Dracula' kicks off, as most adaptations do, with Jonathan Harker (John Heffernan) and his misadventure with the titular Count (Claes Bang) and it's easy to see that this particular episode is where the bulk of effort went into. Drawing on the novel's best section, its opening, the series does an admirable job of front loading itself with tons of creepy atmosphere and a real sense of dread as Harker stumbles around Dracula's artistically designed castle where each turn leads to an M.C. Escher like confusion. Not giving anything away, Harker escapes Dracula's clutches and winds up in a nunnery where he meets, probably, the series most interesting character, Sister Agatha Van Helsing, a straight talking, no nonsense, member of the cloth played excellently by Dolly Wells who gets all the best lines. There numerous liberties taken with Stoker's work here, but this miniseries is not alone in doing that, and it's certainly by no means perfect. But it's still an entertaining 90 minutes and helped no end by a decent cast and pretty formidable go at set design.

Part 2 sees everything set aboard the Demeter, the ship that brings Dracula to England. However, in this adaptation, we're presented with something more akin to an anaemic Agatha Christie tale than anything Bram Stoker may have imagined, as the crew and guest travellers are picked off by the vampiric aristocrat and the captain and his mates have to solve the mystery. A mystery that remains a non-starter to the audience, of course, because we all know who's doing the killing and it's a mystery that sort of gets tossed aside in any case. It's a nice idea in some ways, but it was always going to be scuppered. But in it's own right, it was middling entertainment and it kept the attention for its runtime, although it was quite poor in comparison to the preceding entry. The ending, however, foreshadowed a deep, deep, drop off in quality that Part 3 was to present.

And what can I say about Part 3, other than it's something that takes a 90 mile an hour run at a cliff edge and jumps gleefully over it, crashing to the bottom in a shapeless mess. Dracula, who escaped the sinking Demeter at the end of Episode 2, now finds himself a prisoner of some shadowy 21st century NGO headed up by the descendent of the Van Helsing we previously encountered, which allows Dolly Wells to also be transported forward. But he doesn't stay a prisoner for long as certain (ridiculous) legal loopholes allow him his freedom, where he goes on to discover the wonders of smart phones and mingles among some deeply unpleasant late millennial yawn infested arseholes. Part 3 of this Dracula and its rocketing into the modern day fails spectacularly, as do all efforts to do this with the Count, it must be said. But whereas the 70's Hammer efforts to update Dracula to the "modern day" have a certain WTF charm to them, here the failure of the timeshift is complete. Absolutely nothing works here and the shift in tone, as well as the leap in time, destroys any of the charm that the first two episodes had. To say it's a disappointment of staggering levels is to give understatement a whole new definition.

2020's 'Dracula' could have been great which, in the end, is probably its biggest let down, which is a shame as there's a great lead in the shape of Danish actor Claes Bang and good support, too, from the likes of Heffernan and Wells. Some of the effects are excellent, as well, and the series manages to make old bloodsucker kinda creepy again. So a lot of the ingredients are actually there. But the unnecessary need to do something different just makes the whole thing come undone at the seams and everything ends up at naught in the end because the writing choices by Stephen Moffat and The League of Gentlemen's Mark Gatiss vary in quality to such enormous lengths.

Part One - 8/10

Part Two - 5/10

Part Three - 1/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Dracula pt III is like a version of Dracula: A.D. 1972 redone by someone tripping on bad acid. It's DREADFUL! I've hardly ever done more WTFing doing one episode of a miniseries in my life. This miniseries, instead of being a honey of a flick, will leave you in hives and itching badly. I give the 1st ep a pass because let's face it, a really well done Dracula's Castle segment is always welcome, even if the rest of the series blows moose penis.
    Last edited by Mike70; 28-Feb-2021 at 12:03 PM. Reason: f
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Dracula pt III is like a version of Dracula: A.D. 1972 redone by someone tripping on bad acid. It's DREADFUL! I've hardly ever done more WTFing doing one episode of a miniseries in my life. This miniseries, instead of being a honey of a flick, will leave you in hives and itching badly. I give the 1st ep a pass because let's face it, a really well done Dracula's Castle segment is always welcome, even if the rest of the series blows moose penis.
    Sure. I get what they were trying to do and no doubt Mark Gatiss was influenced by the last two Christopher Lee Dracula films by Hammer. But none of it comes off. I mean, both 'Dracula A.D. 72' and 'The Satanic Rites of Dracula' are pretty shite films, although they have a certain appeal and are fun in their own way, particularly the latter one. But they were both panned in their day too and deservedly so. I just think trying to import the Count (or even vamps in general) into modern era just doesn't work. To me they are a distinctly 19th Century monster.

Part 3 of 2020's 'Dracula', though, just cannot have the dubious appeal of the 70's Hammer flicks, because it's impossible to see any charm in it, like we can with the Hammer movies. But over all, the series just has too many things wrong with it. I thoroughly disliked the idea that Dracula could absorb languages through someone's blood. That's just bloody stupid, pardon the pun. And there were a number of characters in the show that were, literally, ticking a box and served no purpose whatsoever. The black, gay, manservant who wasn't a manservant but the secret lover of a newly wedded rich twat was completely and utterly pointless for instance. Absolutely superfluous to the plot and story and just there to hit two modern identity politics birds with one stone.

It's tone is all over the shop as well. One minute were supposed to be chuckling and the next we're supposed to be appalled. I just don't know why film makers cannot just pick a fucking tonal value and stick with it these days. It's just so infuriating.

Part 1 was pretty good alright and there's some genuinely creepy moments in it too. When Harker discovered Dracula's familiars in their boxes, it was quite chilling I thought. Doubly so when one considers the torment that such a horrible fate would force one to endure. But then we get to Part 3 and it's played for laughs in too many places.

Astonishing stuff for all the wrong reasons.

I would love to see someone really have a go at trying to put Stoker's book on the screen (big or small), but I think it's just one of those unfilmable novels. And TBH, the best part of it is the beginning with Harker and Drac milling about in his castle. Everything thereafter pales quite badly in comparison. Into the bargain, Dracula, himself, practically disappears for most of the middle section and it can be quite dull without him.

Great Britain
    I care a lot on Amazon, This movie seems to have mixed reviews but myself I really found it quite good, Rosamund Pike was fantastic in it. 8/10

Super Moderator

UK
    I finished reading the book the other day, so naturally I wanted to give the John Hurt film a looksee. I had seen it before, but it was so long ago I'd forgotten almost everything about it (which was in-turn quite handy for reading the book as I couldn't remember how it ended). Anyway, the film is quite a faithful telling of the book, hitting the majority of the segments along the way. Occasional things get a little lost in translation, or maybe don't land quite clearly enough (e.g. the lowering of chocolate rations being spun as an increase), but it's all quite accurately done and is a well made movie. It was kinda odd to see Gregor Fisher in the movie (he plays Parsons), speaking with a very polite English accent, as he is perhaps best known for playing Rab C. Nesbitt (an alcoholic Glaswegian) - but, like all of the cast, he did a top job.

Ireland
    Greatest version of 1984 ever done. I love that film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Greatest version of 1984 ever done. I love that film.
    Even with the film's oppressive atmosphere (according to the book, naturally), and the grotty locations etc (which, of course, clash perfectly with the brief glimpses of better places that we see), it doesn't feel like it ever drags. It moves along at a nice pace and hits all the key story points etc. Indeed, it ends up having better pacing than the book as we don't suddenly stop for about forty pages to read screeds of text from Goldstein's writings, which happens in the book. Sure, it's all important contextual information for the reader in order to understand the creation and thinking of Oceania, but it does grind the story to a halt for a big chunk of pages. That bit is much more slickly implemented in the film. I can't recall whether or not Orwell's book had the idea of Goldstein's writings being hidden inside the 10th Edition of the Newspeak Dictionary or not, but that's a lovely touch in the film if not.

Great Britain
    Rogue 2020 amazon prime. Not to be confused with the really quite good 2007 crocodile movie of the same name, this is an action movie about grizzled mercenary's on a rescue mission for the governors daughter in south Africa from religious fanatics, the mission doesn't go so well and the surviving mercenary's and hostages reach a Strangely deserted farm and end up being hunted not only by the fanatics but the thing that's killed everyone on the farm before they arrived.

So sounds alright doesn't it, the action is fun, acting not horrible, its got the usual cliches and all that, so it sound be a 4 or 5 out 10, a switch your brain off movie.

Now for the (pardon the pun) African elephant in the room, The Grizzled Mercenary's are led by I kid you not Megan Fox! it completely takes you out of the movie with her perfect hair and make-up, I just couldn't take her serious lol she takes the movie for me down to 2.

Also the cgi was crap at the end lol

An alright action movie ruined by the worst casting choice,
    Last edited by paranoid101; 05-Mar-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I finished reading the book the other day, so naturally I wanted to give the John Hurt film a looksee. I had seen it before, but it was so long ago I'd forgotten almost everything about it (which was in-turn quite handy for reading the book as I couldn't remember how it ended). Anyway, the film is quite a faithful telling of the book, hitting the majority of the segments along the way. Occasional things get a little lost in translation, or maybe don't land quite clearly enough (e.g. the lowering of chocolate rations being spun as an increase), but it's all quite accurately done and is a well made movie. It was kinda odd to see Gregor Fisher in the movie (he plays Parsons), speaking with a very polite English accent, as he is perhaps best known for playing Rab C. Nesbitt (an alcoholic Glaswegian) - but, like all of the cast, he did a top job.
    1984 is next on my book list after Metro 2033
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    ^
    I read that as "1984 is next on my book list after March 2033"

In my head I was like, "what's he reading now that's gonna take that long?"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ^
    I read that as "1984 is next on my book list after March 2033"

In my head I was like, "what's he reading now that's gonna take that long?"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    1984 is next on my book list after Metro 2033
    Ah, yes, the Metro books. I've read the three of them (2033, 2034, and 2035) and played two of the games (Last Light and Exodus - the 2nd and 3rd games).

It's good, but I will warn you that it does fall into that common trap of Russian SF where the characters do tend to ramble on in long-winded existential conversations on occasion. Seems that the Russians have a different view on narrative pacing - however, it is a good book and the world that Glukhovsky has created is fascinated and very richly textured.

The second book, 2034, is a much breezier read and is relieved of any plodding moments from what I recall. 2035 does revert to a more longer-winded storytelling pace, although it didn't dawdle as much as I thought it could have considering the length of the book. In fact, the thing that irked me most about 2035 wasn't the actual text at all - it was the physical book itself - the dimensions were larger than a typical paperback, and the paper was thicker - which meant the book was actually quite heavy - and it tended to 'flop' about, so the distribution of weight and the shifting of weight actually strained your fingers and wrists quite a bit while reading it. I think those dimensions were chosen to make a longer book appear to be shorter than it is. The same thing was done for James Ellroy's "This Storm" (the second book in his new L.A. Quartet). Paperbacks with Hardback dimensions? Not a good look.

Anyway, I've gone way off on a tangent there - but yeah, 2033 is a good book (I read it about ten or so years ago), but you may have to perservere on occasion to wade through some dawdling at times. Russian SF, or at leas the stuff I've read, does enjoy having its characters sit down and unpack the entire world around them for a meaty discussion or monologue.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post