Page 153 of 173 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Death Walks on High Heels...0/10.

This movie really isn't a zero, it just has the distinction of pissing me off more than any film I think I've ever seen. This movie was about Nicole for an hour. We got to know Nicole. Her job, her living situation, her married boyfriend, etc. Basic premise of the movie: Nicole's dad was involved in a huge diamond heist. His partners tried to screw him over and before he died, he hid the diamonds. The bad guys think Nicole has them.

Now, and I must draw a deep breath, I've seen countless movies and never, ever, have I SEEN THE MAIN CHARACTER IN A MOVIE KILLED OFF AFTER AN HOUR...exhales...like I said, this movie was about Nicole and her life. She wasn't a sidekick, a colorful character, or the friend who has to die to prove the threat is real. THE MOVIE WAS ABOUT HER...until it wasn't.

I'd like to go back in time and kick the director and writer in their dangly bits. Bastards the both of them.
    Wait, you're giving the movie a zero and it's because of a plot twist and not because of the black-face performance?

In any case... I think it's pretty neat. I personally like the twist. The black face performance.. Not so much.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Wait, you're giving the movie a zero and it's because of a plot twist and not because of the black-face performance?

In any case... I think it's pretty neat. I personally like the twist. The black face performance.. Not so much.
    The black face performance? Granted, I've only seen the movie once and it was a few years ago, so I don't recall that bit.

I do remember being stunned when, yeah, the main character gets killed off and also yeah, the film never really recovers from it, but - a zero? Come on. Your passion suggests the movie was better than you're letting on.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

I don't even notice that stuff.

The movie isn't that bad. I was into Nicole and kinda interested if she had the fuckin' diamonds. As plot twists go this one does nothing but irritate me. I'm sure other folks were of a different opinion. I've just never watched a movie where the director and writer had that kinda cheek.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I don't even notice that stuff.

The movie isn't that bad. I was into Nicole and kinda interested if she had the fuckin' diamonds. As plot twists go this one does nothing but irritate me. I'm sure other folks were of a different opinion. I've just never watched a movie where the director and writer had that kinda cheek.
    They were probably thinking of Psycho and then drank some J&B and thought "What if..."

It certainly came as a shock, I'll give them that, but the movie never managed to handle that sudden change thereafter.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    They were probably thinking of Psycho and then drank some J&B and thought "What if..."

It certainly came as a shock, I'll give them that, but the movie never managed to handle that sudden change thereafter.
    probably something like that. Being Italians they probably opened one too many bottles of vino. I'm really surprised that this one had escaped me for so long. I'm really, really into Italian movies. Ah well, I guess there are a few movies that escape everyone.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Great Britain
    The Void 2016

This was really great for a Crowdfunded, I've had it on my Sky+ for quite awhile now, It was on Horror channel ages ago and I finally got round to watching it and I wish I had watched it sooner.

Its like if you take Assault on Precinct 13 add The Thing to the special effects (mostly practical too) and maybe Add From Beyond to the story and yes for its budget its really good.

8/10

Cons- It can be a bit dark in parts also theirs some flashing lights and strobe effects
    Last edited by paranoid101; 28-Apr-2021 at 07:21 PM. Reason: cons

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    The Void 2016

This was really great for a Crowdfunded, I've had it on my Sky+ for quite awhile now, It was on Horror channel ages ago and I finally got round to watching it and I wish I had watched it sooner.

Its like if you take Assault on Precinct 13 add The Thing to the special effects (mostly practical too) and maybe Add From Beyond to the story and yes for its budget its really good.

8/10

Cons- It can be a bit dark in parts also theirs some flashing lights and strobe effects
    There's also a heavy influence from "Prince of Darkness", particularly in terms of the generally bleak and doom-laden tone of the film as well as the limited characterisation.

I enjoyed it the first time, but did have a little trouble with it, however I liked it more roundly on my second viewing.

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There's also a heavy influence from "Prince of Darkness", particularly in terms of the generally bleak and doom-laden tone of the film as well as the limited characterisation.

I enjoyed it the first time, but did have a little trouble with it, however I liked it more roundly on my second viewing.
    Yep was a big surprise this film and the practical effects were amazing for a crowdfunded movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Mitchells vs The Machines
    Available on Netflix, this animated feature has Lord & Miller's involvement and shares some of the visual DNA of "Into The Spider-Verse". With their daughter heading off to film school, and desperate to leave the family behind, the father takes it upon himself to stage a cross-country roadtrip with the family to re-secure the family bond on-the-way to her new college ... trouble is, an A.I. uprising occurs as the result of a Tech Mogul's latest advancement and all hell breaks loose with humanity being systematically captured.

It's slightly over-long (although the credits are rather long in themselves - about 10-12 minutes, plus another 5 minutes of foreign language credits on Netflix) at about 100 minutes when the credits start rolling, but it's also really good fun and has some strong emotional points throughout. There's some quite smart gags tossed in with witty/skewed views on certain ideas, and the animation style is an impressive mixture that always keeps things interesting and fresh. Fans of weird-looking pug dogs will also be well-served by this flick.

It had a different title beforehand, and was intended for a cinema release - until you-know-what happened - but after a re-titling it has been scooped up by Netflix. Definitely worth checking out.

Administrator

England
    Pet Cemetery (2019) - Fairly run of the mill modern horror flick. 7/10.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Dragged Across Concrete
    From the same chap who gave us Brawl In Cell Block 99 as well as Bone Tomahawk, this is a police/crime drama/thriller about two suspended cops (played by Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn) who attempt to make some fast money the less-than-legal way. It's got the dry sense of humour and moments of graphic gory splattery violence that you'd expect considering the other two movies mentioned, and while it is a bit on the long side (two and a half hours by the time the credits roll), I did get sucked into it and enjoyed the trickiness of the script - you don't quite know what to expect, although you do feel a sense of dread that shit's about to go down some how. If you liked the two above mentioned flicks and haven't seen this one, definitely check it out.

Great Britain
    Anti Life

Bruce Willis fighting zombies on a space ship, its utter rubbish, cheap sets, cheap effects, looks like the budget went on Willis who just does the least amount of acting he can get away with.

Garbage 0/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Anti Life

Bruce Willis fighting zombies on a space ship, its utter rubbish, cheap sets, cheap effects, looks like the budget went on Willis who just does the least amount of acting he can get away with.

Garbage 0/10
    A common practice with ageing action stars, and has been for quite some time - fling a shedload of cash at a big name star who's payment far exceeds the entire budget of the actual movie production. Well paid stars appearing in cheap tat.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Army of the Dead - 7/10

IT chapter 2- 6/10
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Tulpa
    Saw this a while ago on Amazon Prime, but forgot to mention it here until now.

It's a neo-giallo flick with some quite stylish visuals, but the film totally lacks any sense of tension during any of the murder/stalking sequences. It's got a decent amount of sauciness, although the underground sex club the main character visits isn't really explored enough. You know what is explored too much? Boring-ass business stuff at the protagonist's place of work - who gives a shit? Nobody in the audience, that's for damn sure. You spend all those scenes wondering what it has to do with anything while never really getting to know anyone either. It's got some merit, no doubt, including the creepy guy who keeps saying "tulpa" in a really weird restrained manner, but the film flops when it comes to inviting the viewer in (we never really learn what a "tulpa" is until it's way too late - so you've been left off the bandwagon for the entire movie up till that point. It could have been really quite good with some considered re-writing and better direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Hounds of Love
    I'd seen this one turn up on various Arrow Video sales online, but the obtuse title and the rather 'nothing' cover art never caught my attention. Then last week I saw it crop up on FilmFour, so checked the mini blurb on the EPG and it sounded intriguing - so decided to give it a spin.

I'm glad I did as it turned out to be a rather good movie. It's a crime thriller about a couple of abduct and terrorise young women in the suburbs of Perth, Australia - and is inspired by the real-life 1986 Moorhouse murders. Written and Directed by Ben Young, it's a hell of a debut, with an excellent understanding of tension as well as the messed up power dynamics at play between the killer couple and their latest prey. The film primarily takes the perspective of the latest victim, played by Ashleigh Cummings, and the female of the killer pair, played by Emma Booth, whose exceedingly strong perfomance seems to be channeling the likes of Aileen Wuornos, equal parts danger and damage. Stephen Curry plays the male half of the couple, and oozes a complex mixture of abusive manipulation and deep-seated weakness.

The film never descends into pure exploitation, it's sights set for something deeper and more affecting, but at the same time it never soft peddles the horrors. Ultimately it shows enough while also suggesting enough to tread a fine line, playing on the audience's imagination to heighten the tension. Speaking of tension, good lord the climax had me on edge - it's almost unbearable. You so often feel like the 'sands of opportunity' are always just about to fully slip through your fingers.

Highly recommended.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Jun-2021 at 10:35 AM.