Page 155 of 173 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Guns Akimbo (2019) - Good fun, ultra violence 7.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Outpost
    A solid war flick telling the story of a particularly 'indefensible' outpost in 2009 (based on low ground and surrounded by high mountains on three sides!) ... it's somewhat of a slow burn (punctuated with moments of action) in the first half, but then when the big attack finally comes as they've been dreading all this time, it's full blown chaos for about 40 solid minutes that really dunks you into it - it's amazing that anyone survived the attack, frankly! It was also interesting to see that they interviewed some of the actual survivors about their experiences during the credits/showed clips of interviews - a couple of the actual soldiers play themselves in the movie, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Guns Akimbo (2019) - Good fun, ultra violence 7.5/10

Glad you dug it.

I liked how even the quieter moments were interesting and didn't drag, and some were really enjoyable in themselves (e.g. the scene with the homeless guy played by Rhys Darby - you're always gonna get entertainment out of that dude).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Jul-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Administrator

England
    The Tomorrow War (2021) - Chris Pratt in an Amazon big budget scifi bug fest flick. Think Edge Of Tomorrow meets Starship Troopers. Generally pretty watchable. 7.5/10.

Talk of a sequel too?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The Tomorrow War (2021) - Chris Pratt in an Amazon big budget scifi bug fest flick. Think Edge Of Tomorrow meets Starship Troopers. Generally pretty watchable. 7.5/10.

Talk of a sequel too?
    I've got this on my list, but I heard rather middling things about it. Was pondering just removing it from the list, even...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've got this on my list, but I heard rather middling things about it. Was pondering just removing it from the list, even...
    It's up and down, but has some good sections/ideas to it. The end section drags on.

Plenty of lifting from Alien for ideas...

I enjoyed it.
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I enjoyed The Tomorrow War! It’s nothing particularly amazing, but entertaining throughout. I would be curious to see how it would do if released theatrically, but as a streaming film, you can’t really go wrong with giving it a spin.

And ya know….Pratt has charisma for days, so that tends to carry the film at it’s low points.
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Jul-2021 at 10:52 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Captain Sindbad (1963) - Starring Guy Williams (of Disney's Zorro and Prof. John Robinson in Lost in Space fame), this entertaining fantasy movie is surprisingly violent and graphic for a film geared primarily towards a younger audience. For example, when Sindbad slays one of El Kerim's men transformed into a falcon, you can see blood gushing out of the cadaver's wound (both as a falcon as well as when it turns back into a human.) Plenty of lavish colorful sets and flashy costumes give a great "Arabian Nights" vibe throughout the movie. The major problem of this flick was that the producers obviously could not afford to hire Ray Harryhausen to do the special effects, which resulted in way inferior quality in that department. It's the only thing that prevents it from being in the same league with the Harryhausen Sinbad films.

PS: the movie also features Abraham Sofaer (friggin' "Haji" in I Dream of Jeannie!) as Galgo, the court magician, and Pedro Armendariz (who, bizarrely, committed suicide a day before this movie premiered!) as the movie's villain, El Karim.

Super Moderator

UK
    Vicious Fun
    Horror comedy about a horror journalist/lovelorn loser, who accidentally finds himself mixed up in the middle of a serial killer's business meeting in a Chinese restaurant. It's a good concept, has plenty of 1980s style (it's set in 1983, so expect references and synths), but is rarely funny enough or horrific enough. However, it is entertaining, although 5-10 minutes in trims throughout wouldn't have gone amiss. The characters are generally all 'types', so characterisation isn't deep, but you 'get' who everyone is so you're at least clear on who's who and what's driving them. The main female character is a bit too overpowered (even going up against a giant, hulking Jason style killer she deals with him quite easily), and there's a lack of suspense to most of the action sequences, even though the movie maintains a fun vibe throughout (e.g. the three mustache-sporting cops). A few tweaks and some polishing could have turned it into a great film, but as-is it's a good film with flaws. A solid 6.5/10. Not the 10 star movie that some think, but also certainly not a 1 star dud like some chump on RogerEbert.com thought (slamming it for, among other things, "latent sexism" despite there actually being none on-show! Said reviewer even missed the entire point of one section of the movie and slammed it for something it wasn't even doing, too!). You can find it on Shudder.

Ireland
    Not a movie, but a TV Show...

'Black Summer'

Zombies are a bit of a one trick pony, love them as I do. But the trouble with them is that they absolutely require an end of the world scenario in order for them to function which can lend a certain predicability to them. Their appearance is nearly always accompanied by the complete, or nearly complete, collapse of society and in 'Black Summer' it's no different. In the first episode we're about a few weeks into the collapse and evacuations are still going on. Tensions are high and the military are unsure of how to respond, so they're heavy handed. Citizens are terrified and distrustful. And the living dead are maniacs.

We've all been here before and multiple times in the case of people who've been watching zombie fare since before 'The Walking Dead' appeared, so there's nothing really new going on here. But 'Black Summer' - Netflix's attempt at a zombie show - does something to, er, breath new life into the a type of show that just won't quit. It's human element is far superior to most zombie material and that's where its strength lies. The living characters feel much more real than their counterparts in the Robert Kirkman comic adaptation and their actions and responses have a realistic aspect to them as well. There are no nonsense characters like the katana wielding Michone, or ridiculous psychopathic "leaders" like Negan knocking around the world in 'Black Summer'. Well, not yet anyway. Into the bargain, and not giving anything away, absolutely nobody is truly safe. Life in Black Summer's zombie apocalypse is an extremely dangerous affair and it doesn't matter how gangsta you think you are, your number can come up at any time. Also, while we are introduced to a lot of characters quite quickly, they all make sense. Even when the multiple points of view and varying time shifts are taken into account. 'Black Summer' will often show you how a series of events plays out and then show them again, in part, from someone else's perspective. This can sound awkward, but it tends to work out well.

The undead of the show are, practically, an afterthought and are actually the worst element of it, truth be told. They are, almost predictably these days, the run around screaming types that are popular with film makers that don't want to have to think of scenarios where slower zombies can get the better of their human prey. But for the purposes of this particular show they work ok, and at 8 episodes over 2 series with uneven running times there's no real space to take the necessary steps to slowly build things up. The show needs to be slam bang....oops...everything's gone to hell. So, in that respect they get a pass.

What eases them into that pass is how dangerous they are to the human protagonists/antagonists. These particular zombies (as per usual nobody calls them that) are hard to kill and whilst it's usually the case in zombie movies/shows that they'll die with enough brain trauma, delivering that trauma is difficult and will take multiple blows. Unlike 'The Walking Dead' where zombies skulls are ridiculously fragile and a harsh word can send them on their way, the zombies of 'Black Summer' require actual beatings to put down which means that a single zombie can ruin your day, but three of them means you really are done for. Plus shooting them is no easy feat either. These things are moving targets and getting something tiny like a bullet to hit home on a small target like a head proves to be impossible at times, even for trained soldiers. Coupled with the sheer panic that grips everyone when the dead start coming for them, most bullets end up flying all over the place in an arbitrary manner., which ends up only making things worse. This is one of the best aspects of the show and makes a mockery of something like 'The Walking Dead' universe where characters can perform headshots on moving targets (even while they are moving themselves) with an accuracy that would make the Sundance Kid extremely jealous.

They are also not the infected people of '28 Days Later' (not a zombie movie), so shooting them in the torso or anywhere else isn't going to do them much bother, unless something vital is hit of course and it can cripple them in some way. They are also not going to die of starvation, so a few months waiting around isn't going to yield a result either. These things are going to be around long term. This kind of thing greatly adds to the immense tension that remains constant throughout the show and it's a show that can be quite exhausting to watch. But it's exhausting in a good way. One episode basically deals with a single guy just trying to stay out of a zombie's clutches and it's one of the best zombie related things I've seen in ages. He's a bit of a dope, for sure, but you still want him to get away because you can put yourself in his place, and as mentioned earlier nobody has any real plot armour.

'Black Summer' is brought to you by The Asylum, the people who made 'Z Nation', which has astonishingly managed to lumber on for 5 series at this point. But I wouldn't let that put you off. Whereas 'Z Nation' is just flat out stupid, 'Black Summer' remains relatively serious and doesn't have the dumbed down, tongue-in-cheek, approach of the SYFY channel show. It's scenarios make a certain sense (even if there are a few areas that stretch credibility) and attempts to stick unwanted laughs here and there are largely absent. This makes 'Black Summer' a completely different kettle of fish entirely to it's sister production.

However, if there are things to be critical about, it would be the almost complete lack of gore in the show. Sure, there's blood, death, and horror, but you never see the effects of a zombie attack and this is where something like 'The Walking Dead' has it beaten easily. In 'Black Summer' bites are obscured and nobody gets flesh ripped apart 'Day of the Dead' style. So, from that aspect it can seem a bit tame if you're waiting around for the red stuff, and it really could do with some of Greg Nicatero's KNB magic. It's a curious omission, it has to be said, especially when one takes into account that the zombies in 'Black Summer' are driven to attack people for food. But, nevertheless, it's a small impact on its over all enjoyment and while the show can be light on plot, but it's nonetheless an exciting and interesting ride so far.

9/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    Not really a movie but don't thinks it's worth it's own thread,

Marvels What If? Made me smile, enjoyed it 7/10, still don't think Marvel's animation is as good as the stuff DC animation makes,
    Last edited by paranoid101; 12-Aug-2021 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

England
    News of the World (2021) - Netflix. An enjoyable western romp with Tom Hanks. 7.5/10
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Blood Red Sky Netflix

I went into this film expecting an average film, run of the mill action movie, but I was surprised to find this film to be (pardon the pun) bloody good, It's a little long at 2 hours, but I was never bored, I wont go in to spoilers I would recommend not watching the preview of this movie and go in blind.

8/10 really enjoyable film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Blood Red Sky Netflix

I went into this film expecting an average film, run of the mill action movie, but I was surprised to find this film to be (pardon the pun) bloody good, It's a little long at 2 hours, but I was never bored, I wont go in to spoilers I would recommend not watching the preview of this movie and go in blind.

8/10 really enjoyable film.
    Yeah, I enjoyed this too. However I thought the final act kinda let me down. It could have easily been cut by 20 minutes without anything of value being lost.
    Still, it's pretty good fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    What sort of film is it, (Blood Red Sky)?

[Don't be afraid to use spoiler tags if you go into detail please]

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What sort of film is it, (Blood Red Sky)?

[Don't be afraid to use spoiler tags if you go into detail please]
    Hijack horror