Page 167 of 173 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Great Britain
    Death on the Nile Disney+

Perfectly fine movie, looks beautiful, well acted, I do like Kenneth Branagh hes always fun to watch, just an harmless movie to pass a Sunday afternoon with.

6.5/10 same score for Murder on the Orient Express too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dark Tourist (2011)
    Available on Amazon Prime. Stars Michael Cudlitz, Melanie Griffith, and Pruitt Taylor Vince.

Cuddles plays a less than cuddly security guard with a penchant for the titular past-time, who goes on a 'holiday' to follow in the footsteps of a famous serial killer while simultaneously dealing with his own demons. It's a gritty-minded, sweaty sort of a flick. The voice-over is over-written (or would it technically be under-written?) as it stumbles into the usual pitfalls of 'gritty, noirish narration' (not helped by the curiously inconsistent audio quality - perhaps just in the copy that Amazon a streaming, as their copy of Savage Streets sounded atrocious), but Cudlitz is certainly game throughout.

There's one particularly surprising scene that I won't go into, but it certainly tipped the movie into memorable territory. It's a brisk watch, 75 minutes before the credits roll. It's low budget, a bit rough around the edges, but a grim and dark psycho-drama. 6.5/10.

Super Moderator

UK
    In Search Of Tomorrow
    Gargantuan in length fleeting in depth doc about 1980s sci-fi movies from the folks who did the In Search Of Darkness docs, so you know what to expect from it stylistically and structurally etc. If you know the movies there's unlikely to be any new info at all, but if there's titles you've not seen or perhaps never heard of (as might more be the case with this entry) then there is some stuff that might alert you to a flick you never knew of.

The filmmakers and actors provide the better commentary for the most part, whereas the more academic or 'commentariat' type contributors are a very mixed bag with some coming off as quite 'performative' or trying too hard to 'be trending' etc. Occasionally it was a bit of a slog and felt like it was going through the motions.

I watched it in about five sittings, dipping in and out. The best of these particular docs has been "In Search of the Last Action Heroes", or whatever it was called.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Apr-2022 at 04:22 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dune (2021):
    I've never had an interest in the book or the David Lynch movie (despite being a big Lynch fan). It popped up on Sky Movies, so I figured I'd give it a squiz.

It's evidently a very dense text that is having to be crammed in, even with this multi-movie approach, so I just kinda had to roll with it as best I could. Visually fantastic with some really nice unexpected choices in framing or staging action, and the overall design of the film was superb. A good watch, even though I'm a total casual viewer to this particular IP.

Did anyone notice two familiar names in the credits under Executive Producer? - Richard Rubenstein and John Harrison - Does anyone know how come ... something to do with the book's rights ownership for adaptation maybe?

Choose Or Die:
    Netflix techno-horror flick. Eddie Marsan, Asa Butterfield, and the voice of Robert Englund. It's about a 1980s videogame called "Curs>r", with horrific choices to pick from that have real-world effects. It's pretty brisk, has some interesting ideas and style, but I didn't particularly gel with the characters. Occasionally they come off a bit underwritten, or a bit too 'dismissed' one way or another, it's hard to describe really. At times I didn't quite understand exactly what the rules and internal logic of the whole conceit was, so that was a bit distracting sometimes. Solid, but I think there was a slightly better movie in there somewhere.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Apr-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Great Britain
    Scream 2022

I do think these films have had their day, it's just more of the same with a dumb twist when you find out who is the killer and why he was doing it, just boring and no longer clever.
    3/10

Fresh Disney+

Oh this is going to be one of them romantic comedy movies with the handsome Sebastian Stan newly dating Daisy Edgar-Jones for the first time, its going to be so sweet, a couple of drinks together....... wait where is she walking up? arrrr don't do that, really the film went this way.

7/10 fun little thriller/horror movie with bite.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 17-Apr-2022 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Great Britain
    The Batman

Amazing 9/10

Also this.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    The Batman

Amazing 9/10

Also this.....

LOL!

This one from the previous series was a classic too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOHraf3LEk
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Jubilee - 1978: easily one of the weirdest and most nonsensical movies ever made. Don't let that fool you, though, this shit is hilarious, pure comedy gold (both intentional and unintentional.) Featuring the likes of Adam and the Ants (when they were punk rockers, before they became New Wavers), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Jordan as a character named "Amyl Nitrite" (LOL!) who performs a burlesque punk rock version of "Rule Britannia!", Richard O'Brien, etc., it is a confused, undigested, chaotic mass of late 70s punk "culture", history, alchemy (the Angel addressing Queen Elizabeth and John Dee: "For I am that pure and clarified spirit... by which thou mayest turn all metals... to the most pure gold"), "social commentary", nudity, gore, etc.

Note: did Tom Savini watch this bizarre movie back in the day??? Look for the scene after two of the punk girls attack and mortally wound a street cop. The agonizing dying cop is lying on the ground, slowly turns the front of his body towards the camera and we see his "bowels" spill out of his abdomen. The make-up/special-effects are laughable, of course, since this was an ultra-low budget movie, nothing like Savini's more complex and elaborate creations, but this was about 6 years BEFORE Day of the Dead.

Administrator

England
    Jack the Ripper (1988) - Two part TV Series really...

Michael Caine and Lewis Colins star as Frederick Abberline and George Godley, and work out who Jack the Ripper actually is (was) - as per the thinking back in 1988... Pretty well done actually! 7.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Accident Man (2018) - Scott Adkins low budget martial arts...

Given the low budget of this film ($6m), this punches above its weight (see what I did there? )

Sort of a martial arts The Gentlement vs John Wick

7/10

EDIT: Didn't realise this came from a comic - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accide..._(comic_strip)
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Valley of the Dead (Malnazidos)

New Zombie movie on Netflix made in Spain set during the Spanish Civil War as a group of Republicans and Communists soldiers have to work together when a new menace arises during the conflict.

This wasn't half bad to be honest plenty of action, not badly acted, had bit of a budget, interesting setting, it hits all the usual zombie movie beats, but was a lot fun.

7.5/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Hb_5nT_3s
    Last edited by paranoid101; 14-Jul-2022 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    Requiem For A Dream
    Now, I had already watched this, but it was the best part of 20 years ago. I remember it being pretty intense and bleak and ... yup ... just as I remember it, haha! It's very stylishly put together, but not in an overbearing way, and the soundtrack is excellent (we actually used it on a short film on a documentary course at uni called 'See The Other Side', which was all about kinda peeping behind the upfront scenery of a seaside town - before I'd even seen the movie) ... anyway! ... I was watching it in chunks over the last couple of days and, well, I certainly don't recommend watching it first thing in the morning before a hospital appointment ... kinda pushes you way into bummer territory, heh. Finished it off last night. Excellent, but you've certainly got to be in the right mood for it.

Despite the degradation of the private sex party where a mob of suitcase wankers yell "ass to ass" while a big black dildo is liberally greased up, Jennifer Connelly's character oddly enough ends the film on the highest note (relatively speaking). She's not in a hellish jail sweating through withdrawal, she's got all her limbs, and she hasn't been turned into a zombie by electro-shock therapy after a hellish mental breakdown.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    I have no idea how they've managed to squander the potential of this character, to be honest. The first movie was quite forgettable aside from a couple of nice 'odd couple' moments with Eddie/Venom (which should have been more the basis for the film, I think). This sequel was similarly forgettable and riddled with CGI-bloat. Just kind of a 'shrug movie', unfortunately.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Jul-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Death Race - the 2008 Paul W.S. Anderson remake of Roger Corman's infamous, campy and satirical Death Race 2000. I was a bit lukewarm on it when it first came out, particularly as it only has one vehicle-vs-'pedestrian' moment, but a recent re-watch improved my general opinion of it. The mainstream release and budget did mean some of the meaner edges had to be smoothed off, but it's a solid action spectacle. 8/10

Death Race 2 - apparently the budget for the 2008 movie was somewhere in the region of $45 million, while this straight-to-video prequel had a mere $7 million. It certainly shows, and it suffers from some sloppy scripting at times (e.g. weak characterisation) and some faults in the direction (e.g. scene construction, making sense of certain action sequences), but it's actually not bad. It's got Luke Goss, Ving Rhames, Danny Trejo, Sean Bean, and a pre-Walking Dead Lauren Cohan in it, too. 6/10

Death Race 3: Inferno - shifting to an international Death Race set in South Africa (where the film was being shot for tax reasons, like numerous Universal 1440 Entertainment straight-to-video productions like Tremors 5 and 6), the budget is about the same as #2, but you get more bang for your buck this time around. Goss/Rhames/Trejo all return for this sequel-to-the-prequel-that-is-still-a-prequel-to-the-first-movie, with added Dougray Scott as the snarling corporate baddy. There's more car-based chaos in this one, and it ramps up the increased violence of the second flick. Quite enjoyable. 7/10

Death Race: Beyond Anarchy - the best of the sequels. Production shifted to Bulgaria, budget unknown, but you get a shedload more bang for your buck in this flick, which is like Death Race meets Escape From New York meets Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. Also features the most sex and violence of all four movies, although again there's precious little in the way of people getting gorily run over!!! The script is better than what we got with #2 and #3, but the clarity of the overall story could have used a bit of work. Danny Trejo returns and this time Danny Glover is on board. Lots of post-apoc-style production design and constuming, grease paint bikinis on naked start-line chicks, frequent explosions and so on ramp up the exploitation flick vibe most pleasingly. Apparently it's the final flick in the series, which is a damn shame, actually. I really enjoyed this one. 7/10

Crystal Eyes - an Argentinian neo-giallo set in the world of fashion. I'll be honest, I ended up skimming through this on FreeVee as, to be blunt, the script was pretty bad. Characterisation was almost non-existent and the film frequently got bogged-down in rather underwhelming scenes of clunky exposition that doesn't really do much to keep your attention. Visually it's quite good, although the relentless thievery from the back catalogue of Dario Argento (Suspiria in particular) gets tiresome after a while. There was a much better movie in there somewhere. Disappointing.

Aquaslash - even at a mere 65 minutes (excluding credits), this neo-slasher flick plods like a four-hour Russian treatise on the futility of the the human existence. The characters are very thinly sketched and few, if any, have any real features that make them stand out in any way at all. About the only one I can remember is "Chad" because of a crap running-joke about how nobody remembers his name. A graduation party is taking place at a water park and someone's doing some murders because ... reasons??? The overall story is poorly told and we don't really understand why anything is happening, and we don't really understand the geography of the location either, which has little character unto itself. There's a few visual tricks in the director's bag, but the propensity to rely on dissolves during scenes suggests a lack of directorial skill in constructing a scene, again evidenced by a total lack of suspense/tension. The kills are pretty sparse, too, with a rather long wait for the movie's centrepiece with a waterslide fitted out with a double blade 'X' booby trap to hack unsuspecting watersliders into pieces. There's a good little bit of practical gore in there, but the poor storytelling and pacing and characterisation cause the bulk of this flick's problems. It's also on FreeVee.

It's frustrating to see films like Crystal Eyes and Aquaslash fall considerably short of their potential. The filmmakers obviously want to dive into these genres they love, but unfortunately they don't really have the skills to back it up.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Jul-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Batman (1989) and Batman Returns:
    I've been playing Batman: Arkham Knight, and it got me all hot and bothered to re-watch the four films from back in the day. It's funny how little Batman is actually in the original movie, and how little action there is. You can really see the constraints of the budget now, especially compared to Batman Returns, which is like a bank vault has been spilled out all over the place. I recall a while back thinking I preferred Batman '89 over Returns, but I've now switched my opinion. Sure, the Burton Dial has been cranked all the way to 11, but it's overall a much better film with better pacing, and it's overall more entertaining.

Nicholson's Joker is quite enjoyable, although there's an awful lot of Jack Nicholson in his version of the character. The likes of Christopher Walken (as Max Schrek), Danny DeVito (as Penguin), and Michelle Pfeifer (as Cat Woman), on the other hand, sink much more into their roles. I accepted them as their characters, whereas I did find myself thinking of JN's Joker as Jack Nicholson as much as Joker, if that makes sense? Perhaps it's blasphemy to some, but I think the 2008 rendition of Joker is definitive.

I'm now in the middle of re-watching Batman Forever...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 27-Jul-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Administrator

England
    The Gray Man (2022 Netflix) - Based on the book(s), which were in my opinion a mediocre Jack Reacher wannabe, it's hardly surprising this film turns in a rather flat mediocre super CGI action affair. Ryan Gossling is uber flat protagonist and Chris Evans does his best to be an interesting antagonist...

5.5/10 mainly for the production quality.
    -Carl Sagan