Page 169 of 173 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Day Shift (2022):
    Just new on Netflix yesterday. I don't think I'd even watched the trailer, just a brief glimpse, and knew it starred Jamie Foxx and Dave Franco and was about vampire hunters in Los Angeles. Anyway, watching it just tonight and really enjoyed it. It's got the same stunt team as John Wick and Nobody, so all the action sequences are pretty friggin sweet and jolly good fun with lots of inventive kills. It's not as good as those two movies (the villain doesn't quite pop, for instance), but that's a hard ask to out-do John Wick or Nobody, but it's a damn fun time and I'd certainly watch a sequel. Recommended.
    I'll give it a watch then. The trailer put me off!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Samaritan
    Stallone stars in this grungy low-fi superhero movie, about a street kid who believes Sly, a broken down refuse worker, is the titular hero. It's alright, the trailer made it look much better, though. It's got some moments, but just didn't quite hit a stride, for me at least.

You'll spot the twist coming a mile off.

The Rangers
    Made for about 50p, this Italian knock-off of The Dirty Dozen meets Stalag 17 is a total bore fest. More than two thirds of the movie take place within the cramped confines of a cheap POW set with the bulk of that taking place inside the even more cramped confines of one of the prison huts. It starts off with an extensive montage of actual WWII footage to inject some action before the looooooooong plod towards a rather dull climax (some shooting about an old villa in the woods). What's bizarre though, is a moment where the men look up into the sky to see a British plane passing over head, and the film (which is in colour) cuts to BLACK AND WHITE STOCK FOOTAGE of a plane.

The Brain
    A silly but fun monster movie from 1988, featuring David Gale (from Re-Animator), who is the TV host of a local show called 'Independent Thinking', which is actually a front for enslaving the minds of the town's residents ... how? Why, there's a giant man-eating brain monster held in the basement of the Psychological Research Institute, of course! Why is there a boatload of sodium seemingly in use at this psychological research lab? *shrugs* Naturally, that's all to justify how to kill the monster, but it's hilarious how many times there are warning signs about the dangers of sodium dotted about the place. There's some nifty practical effects from the plastic fantastic age of 1980s genre cinema. The film never really tackles its central idea well enough to be truly satisfying, making this ripe for a remake, especially in today's landscape of fake news and identity politics and political division. Far from a genre classic of thr 1980s, but a solid enough slice of monster movie fun.

Memory
    Another Liam Neeson movie. This time he's an assassin with rapidly advancing alzheimers. Also stars Guy Pearce. There's an overly complicated plot involving the Mexican border and child trafficking, but generally it's a decent flick. It's certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the absolute shit show that was the last Neeson movie I saw (the utter garbage that was Black Light).

Moonfall
    Excellent fodder for the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast, but as a movie it's fucking idiotic. And what does Roland Emerich have against step dads, anyway? Even in terms of CGI overload spectacle it's a bit underwhelming, and the script isn't even trying to paper over the chasm-sized cracks in the plot. The whole film feels rather lazy and out-of-steam. The days of Universal Soldier and Independence Day are long gone, Roland.

Administrator

England
    RRR (Netflix)
    I love the up beat escapism of a good Bollywood film, but about 18mins into this epic production, I was struggling, and actually failed to make it much further than an hour into the 3hr running time. The anti-English racism is so overtly low brow, lazy and toxic I simply couldn't stomach it

The 'arrest scene' towards the beginning is f***ing epic!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Dog Soldiers
    Fucking classic. No two ways about it. Hadn't seen it in years and just gave the newly released Blu-Ray a spin. Top notch film. Great writing and direction from Neil Marshall, aided by a tip-top cast. Perfectly paced, there's no flab to be seen, just pure juicy meat and some great Rio Bravo meets Werewolves action and gore.

Burke and Hare
    Directed by John Landis (his last movie to date, IIRC), this gruesome comedy is based on true events and stars a veritable who's who of acting talent from the UK. I saw it in the cinema and then again on telly, but haven't seen it in years as well, so with it newly arrived on Prime I gave it another spin. It's about 85 minutes by the time the credits roll, so it doesn't hang about and boasts plenty of wry humour and gooey gags. It's also of interest to me as a Scot. Numerous scenes were shot in and around the Old Town section of Edinburgh, with some 'street' scenes actually portions of the grounds of Edinburgh castle, with some other scenes shot within the grounds of Stirling castle as well. Considering how much fun this movie is (in a similar vein to An American Werewolf In London, albeit not written by Landis) it's a shame that Landis hasn't made another movie since.

Administrator

England
    Samaritan (Prime Video) - Sylvester Stallone super hero type affair. Fairly predictable and mediocre. 5/10

So he can punch and smash his way through an army of men firing guns at him, but every time he faces Cyrus, he's for some reason totally on the back foot and struggles? Odd!

Unlike MZ I didn't spot the twist... Mind you, I was losing interest with it long before that came along...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Mad God
    Phil Tippet (he who did a very poor job indeed of supervising those pesky dinosaurs ) had been working on this thing for decades. Mostly crafted through stop-motion animation, but with various portions incorporating live action, it's a visual explosion of creativity, like peeling open Tippet's mind and discovering a nightmarish imaginarium that's equal parts horrifying and fascinating. The sense of bizarre invention and design that has gone into the film is truly staggering on an immensely impressive level ... but where the film succeeds in its astonishing visuals and world creation, it utterly fumbles when it comes to narrative. The main reason for that is ... ... well, there is no narrative. There's basically zero dialogue either (beyond some general burblings and mutterings on occasion), so as a viewer you've got no story, no plot, and no characters to follow throughout any kind of story. Naturally, this proves frustrating and somewhat exhausting as we move from one segment to another - beautifully designed segments, no doubt, sometimes disgustingly visceral, sometimes awe-inspiringly unusual - but it all feels a bit, well, 'bitty'. I had no real idea what was going on, or why, and with little-to-no emotional engagement it can prove to be a little bit of a slog at times to proceed through all 83 minutes of it.

Had it been coupled with a compelling story and a solid narrative structure with at least one character we could have followed from start to finish on their journey, then it would have really helped make it a superb piece of work. It's successes are phenomenal, but it's failings are crushing. A very split situation, therefore, but certainly worth checking out nonetheless.

Administrator

England
    Day Shift (Netflix)
    Fairly enjoyable vampire romp. Bit scraggy in areas, but generally good stuff. Some impressive drone usage and a nice appearance by Scott Adkins
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Day Shift (Netflix)
    Fairly enjoyable vampire romp. Bit scraggy in areas, but generally good stuff. Some impressive drone usage and a nice appearance by Scott Adkins
    Adkins seems like a solid dude (he appeared on a Corridor Crew video talking about stunts), and it was good to see him showing off his skills in a more 'mainstream' film, or a film that might have a wider group of eyeballs on it, if that makes sense?

The villain was a bit under-developed, and some details that were brought up were entirely forgotten about, so the script does have some issues, but it was also a good watch and enjoyable. I'd certainly watch a sequel (hopefully with some tighter scripting involved).

Super Moderator

UK
    Deep Rising
    I've got fond memories of seeing this in the 1990s as a video rental (I even bought an ex-rental big box VHS, which I still have). It's a monster movie set aboard a luxury cruise liner, whose occupants are almost entirely consumed by a giant sea beast. Stepping into the mess are a handful of hired sea men and a gaggle of gun-toting mercenaries. It still romps along nicely, just as I remember it, with some nice gory moments scattered about and plenty of lead-flinging. The CGI beastie at the end still looks as fucking awful as I remember it did in 1998 (even in 1998 those textures sucked), but other than that it's darn good fun. I hadn't seen it in feckin' years, so this was a nice dose of nostalgia for me. I stumbled across it on Disney+, which I've just taken a free trial of.

Administrator

England
    Free Guy (2021) - Ryan Reynolds doing Ryan Reynolds in a fairly clever up beat scifi family flick.

7.5/10
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Free Guy (2021) - Ryan Reynolds doing Ryan Reynolds in a fairly clever up beat scifi family flick.

7.5/10

Super Moderator

UK
    V/H/S/99
    Just recently released on Shudder, where it apparently did very well indeed, but don't take that as an accurate reflection of the film's quality and more the considerable step-up that was V/H/S/94 after the truly naff V/H/S/Viral. Indeed, 99 is quite the disappointment. 94 had some issues, and anthologies inherently have a varying quality (even more likely with different creatives behind each story), but overall 94 was quite good fun. 99, on the other hand, feels fairly uninspired and consistently dispenses with internal logic while often ignoring proper set-up and injecting far too much meta-humour and irritating characters who bicker far too much whilst being underwhelmed by the horrors they find themselves encircled by.

The weak framing story (that was a noted downside to 94) is gone, but there is instead an annoying stop motion animation thing that offers nothing but sucking time - it could have gone entirely and at least trimmed a few minutes out of this too-long film (much like 94, it's one story too long). The opening story "Shredding" is okay, but most of the characters are quite irritating and the exposition dumps lay bare one of the strictures of the found footage format. There's parts of it I really like, but it never clicks overall. Story two, "Suicide Bid", is the best of the bunch, but again suffers from ropey dialogue and awkward performances (trying too hard to 'perform terror', thus making it all feel thoroughly fake). However, the mixing of the Ryan Reynolds film 'Buried' with The House On Sorority Row makes for a good story with a claustrophobic setting and the most 'horrifying' of the tales - anyone afraid of confined spaces and/or spiders will be wincing at this one. It's main fault, though, again comes down to the problem of found footage - you realise that the person holding the camera is consciously thinking to not only film the horror but also their reaction, back and forth, twisting the camera this way and that: it sucks the life out of any potential realism.

Story three, "Ozzy's Dungeon", has Steven Ogg in it, so that's a bonus right there. It's about some sort of kids show that goes wrong, but the tone is all over the place. It then turns into some sort of revenge film that then takes a weird spin into WTF (in a bad way) territory. I don't really know what was happening or why it was happening, so it just left me cold and confused. Story four, "The Gawkers", feels the most authentically 1999, but the litany of dude-bro teen voyeurs quickly grate on you. It has some potential, but it goes in a direction that doesn't work for me. Finally there's the fifth story, "To Hell And Back", which squanders the potential of using Y2K in favour of incessant shaky cam, some vague plot about a demonic cult ritual, and two bickering characters that suck any and all tension or horror out of the tale. You've found yourself in the bowels of Hell, so natually you're going to be slinging one-liners and airing your petty grievances at loud volume mere feet away from deadly hellspawn ... fuck sake. It even drops the ball at the end (writing "Mabel" into the book) with zero pay-off. What the fudge?!

Many of the tales you end up wondering 'why is anyone filming this?', and you frequently are forced to suspend belief to paper over the inherent problems with the found style and set-up (I'm sure a Hi8 video camera would indeed survive a rain storm and record for several hours without running out of tape or battery!!!) It's also infuriating just how 'shaky' the whole movie is. I don't tend to have any real problem with motion sickness, so for me to end up feeling sick and headachey by the end of the movie is quite unusual. The 'video fuzz' aesthetic is fun, but most definitely over-used. One of the main problems with the film is that so many of the stories seem to either not be interested in scaring the audience or are actively trying to either be comedic or actually take the piss out of themselves.

Considering how V/H/S/94 was overall enjoyable and solid, V/H/S/99 comes as a big let down. V/H/S/85 is already lined-up, shot back-to-back with 99, so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence unless the different raft of filmmakers can make a significant improvement.

Ireland
    I thought To Hell and Back was the best of a particularly bad lot.

These V/H/S movies are kinda awful over all though. I think out of them all, the most standout one was about the Asian cult that's summoning a demon of some sorts.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I thought To Hell and Back was the best of a particularly bad lot.

These V/H/S movies are kinda awful over all though. I think out of them all, the most standout one was about the Asian cult that's summoning a demon of some sorts.
    Really? Interesting ... ... the two main characters I just found so annoying with all their silly bickering whilst being trapped in Hell of all places. The constant shaky cam also fucked me off something proper and really tipped me over the edge after so much relentless wibbly-wobbly camera fumbling.

V/H/S was decent, but was certainly too long, and its main flaw was just how retched many of its protagonists were. They were just infuriating or annoying too often.

V/H/S/2 was the best of the lot by far. Trimmed down running time, much better writing, a good mix of thrills and chills. This was the one with the cult story you mention, I think it was an Indonesian-made short IIRC. This was also the one with the 'Go Pro zombie' in it, which was a fun novelty.

V/H/S/Viral was fucking bullshit.

V/H/S/94 was certainly a lot better than the third movie, but had some flaws that have been replicated with V/H/S/99, which has in-turn made the flaws worse and expanded upon them.

So often there's great bits, or ideas that have potential before getting taken in the wrong direction, or stories that just generally underwhelm. I remember in Viral there was a portion of a story that you briefly glimpse, like another story passing by the one we were trapped in, and that was far more interesting.

I read that two pitched ideas for V/H/S sequels involved: 1) one set during medieval times (how the fuck does that make any shred of sense ffs?!), and 2) V/H/Xmas - a collection of festive-set horror stories. I wish they'd done V/H/Xmas instead of 99.

Another big problem I had with V/H/S/99 was you never really got to know any of the characters properly. You were so often just flung in at the deep end and then expected to give a single solitary shit about them. Things never felt set-up enough. Cut out one story and those pointless stop-motion interludes and you would have been able to make a shorter movie and share out a bit more screen time for the remaining stories to properly tell a story. It was either slapdash toss-the-audience-in or great big exposition dumps machine-gunned at the viewer in really awkwardly staged moments that never felt natural.

Ireland
    Oh they're incredibly annoying dicks for sure and, in fact, I am hard pressed to think of anyone in the series that I didn't find annoying or just plain loathsome. But I liked the vision of hell and how it ended.

But, yeh, the best of a bad lot.

The series is just extremely shambolic overall. And, sure, these portmanteau movies tend to be hit and miss, even if I do have a soft spot for Amicus. But V/H/S is particularly so. All told, there's probably only around 8 to 10 stories worth watching out of the five movies and that's being kind.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....