Page 170 of 173 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173 LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And, sure, these portmanteau movies tend to be hit and miss, even if I do have a soft spot for Amicus. But V/H/S is particularly so. All told, there's probably only around 8 to 10 stories worth watching out of the five movies and that's being kind.
    Makes it all the more remarkable then just how good Creepshow (1982) turned out to be. There's not really a weak story in the bunch and they all have something unique to offer. However, the benefit there was a consistent writing and directing team across all the stories, plus the consistent visual styling throughout the entire movie. It feels like one film rather than an assemblage of fragments.

The likes of V/H/S are cobbled together from a whole host of filmmakers, so the quality is going to vary greatly. You have to wonder how much is done to shepherd the overall tone and direction of the various shorts. For example, in V/H/S/94 there was a short about some sort of crazed scientist making bio-mechanical monstrosities, and while the short was fine in and of itself, it felt so out-of-place compared to the others.

I'd argue that where it worked well was with the two ABCs of Death movies. Each short is so short that if you don't like it something new will be along in a few minutes time, so even the shit ones don't really tend to outstay their welcome. They were certainly hit & miss, but I found that more shorts were good as opposed to bad over-the-piece(s), and the rapid pace helped considerably.

*slips on nerd glasses*

One silly thing that bugged me was how in the first story there are snippets of CKY 3 glimpsed as the camera cuts and comes back in. Now, considering this is V/H/S/99, that doesn't work as CKY 3 was released in 2001. I've no idea why they didn't use clips from CKY 1, which was released in 1999 and also featured shopping cart skits.

*affixes "kick me" sign to own back and hikes up trousers to expose socks*

Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Nov-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Administrator

England
    Passengers (2016) - A fairly watchable scifi affair with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence (who only makes it more watchable). Some nice ideas in there, let down by a very flat ending IMHO. There's lots of hand wavium science involved too

7/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ambulance
    The latest Michael Bay smash-em-up actioner. It's certainly better than one of his more recent efforts (the quite forgettable 6 Underground, I think it was called), and has its fair share of thrusting action scenes with plenty of smashy crashy stuff interspliced with that kind of post-Transformers style of characters (which can grate as often as it can work). It feels a bit sloppy at times, like the main robber guy has supposedly been planning this heist for quite a while and yet not only does he bring his mate in at the last second, but half the people on his crew are either blithering idiots (like the guy in the van always on his phone) or they have fuck all sense of self preservation, walking headlong into hails of bullets - all of them also routinely show their faces, touch surfaces without gloves on, and use their real names. So there's plenty of stupid bullshit throughout the movie, but it does rattle along at a fair old clip and I never really found myself bored by it, but it's a long time since Bay's heyday (e.g. The Rock). There's copious use of drone cameras in this movie, too, like an obnoxious amount with all these rollercoaster moves ... sometimes it works quite nicely in the action, but it's used so liberally that it becomes kinda laughable: if you made a drinking game out of spotting all the drone camera shots you'd be blotto within minutes. Worth a spin, but I doubt I'll be coming back to it in the future.

Breaker! Breaker!
    A 1977 Chuck Norris flick I stumbled across on FreeVee. It's weird seeing Chuck with blonde hair and clean shaven, but he's still kicking baddies in the face while wearing (flared) denim. Generally good fun, but boy-oh-boy is it rough as a badger's arse. Camera coverage is minimal, slow motion is over-used, an entire sequence has noticeable 'judder' throughout, there's some terribly rough edits, the storytelling is haphazard, and the so-called 'City of Texas, California' is literally one of those old wild west tourist town attraction type places tarted up on a budget of 50p to look as if people really live there. The whole town is laughably bare-bones and ramshackle (e.g. the dimwit brother of the town mechanic lives in a shack that has more in common with Swiss cheese than housing), and it can't quite fill its 85 minute running time, but everytime Chuck starts kicking arse you can't help but enjoy yourself, moreso when a convoy of trucks descends upon the town to fuck shit up.

Basic Instinct
    I had seen this many years ago, but it's been so long I'd forgotten how the story went - and talk about overly complicated! Still, the first two-thirds move at a slick pace and the 90s cheese is on the right side of the line with all its nudge-nudge wink-wink dialogue exchanges and flirtations. Nice use of San Francisco locations (you get hints of this being a much randier slice of Vertigo/Hitchcock at times, especially in the music). The is she/isn't she fake-outs are over-used in the finale, making it feel a bit silly, and you can't help but question what exactly happened throughout the movie and who precisely did what when, but you've gotta love the post-80s excesses and over-the-top gusto of everything.

Ireland
    'Trees Lounge'

A 1996 film written by, directed by and starring Steve Buscemi about an aimless out of work mechanic who spends all his time at a dead end bar that is the title of the movie. 'Trees Lounge' is one of those low budget American slice-of-life films that are a rare treat these days and features a ton of familiar faced non-stars mixed in with soon to be big names like Samuel L. Jackson.

Buscemi's character, Tommy, drifts around his dead end suburban Long Island town hopelessly looking for another mechanic's job and lamenting his current situation, which he salves by drinking. He eventually takes up driving his uncles ice cream truck after the old guy dies, but his future looks bleak.

Buscemi's movie is pretty dark, while not depressing, and has at its centre a humour and a heart that most people will recognise. However, Tommy's situation is not one that anyone would envy. His worsening alcoholism and unemployment is augmented by the fact that his girlfriend of 8 years, Teresa, recently left him for the boss who fired him and she may also be pregnant with his baby. But Tommy remains a relatively charming figure, even if he's destined to live out his years in self destruction.

'Trees Lounge' was a very personal film for Buscemi, who the main character is a reflection of. Before taking up acting full time, Buscemi was Tommy, and his life was on course for the same direction. So the film has an authenticity about burgeoning alcoholics that other stories may lack. This keeps things on an even keel and while there's an underlying bleakness, Tommy's tale never veers into the hysterical.

8/10

'Gerald's Game'

One of the more successful movie adaptations of a Stephen King novel, albeit a lesser title, 'Gerald's Game' takes place almost entirely in one room and in one woman's head. Echoing shades of the bed bound author in 'Misery', another successful adaptation from the "master of horror", the tale focuses on a middle aged couple who take a few days out in a remote cabin in the country to spice up their love life. Although, it's clear that it's Gerald (Bruce Greenwood) who is more interested in a particular kind of spice than his wife Jessie (Carla Gugino). Gerald's particular penchant is for a bit of light BDSM restraint, which ends up making Jessie very uncomfortable and during a bout of a few uttered home truths about her husband's newly discovered rape fantasies, Gerald suffers a heart attack leaving Jessie handcuffed to the bed and at the mercy of elements beyond her control.

Unfortunately, 'Gerald's Game' is not as entertaining as 'Misery' and comes off as trying to stuff too much into a story that may have been better off more streamlined. It bounces all over the place from childhood abuse trauma, to martial revelations, to grave robbing necrophiliacs, and while a person's mind may indeed wander in an aimless manner while having many hours to use, it doesn't necessarily make for a completely satisfying story.

But 'Gerald's Game' is no dud either and the two leads put in a pretty good and convincing performance, especially Gugino who goes from mousey, to wreck, to heroine while mostly lying on a king sized mattress. However, the film could have definitely used a few slices here and there even if it is well made.

6/10

'See How they Run'

A Wes Anderson movie that wasn't directed by Wes Anderson, 'See how they Run' seeks to channel that instantly recognisable Anderson touch and couple it with that distinctly British air that is abundant in numerous whodunit efforts, especially those of Agatha Christie who's, probably, the genre's most famous participant. Set during the first year of 'The Mousetrap', the longest running play in the history of theatre, the film tells the story of the murder of an obnoxious American movie director who is bumped off while in the middle of trying to secure the film rights to the play and the subsequent efforts to solve the case by a jaded Scotland Yard detective, Inspector Stoppard (Sam Rockwell), and his overly enthusiastic assistant, Constable Stalker (Saoirse Ronan).

'See how they Run' is littered with references, homages, nods, and winks to the audience that will resonate best with people who are drawn to that type of homely British murder mystery. But knowledge of either the genre or the names associated with it are not necessary requirements for enjoyment, and someone who is blissfully ignorant of either will get something out of it. It's also helped immensely by two great performances by Rockwell and Ronan, the latter giving a subtly humorous turn that should put a smile on most people's faces.

If the movie has any drawbacks, though, it's the fact that the mystery itself is quite a lacklustre one and the last third of the film cannot compete with the first two. But over all, it's funny and well worth the time, even if it won't have you in a laughing fit.

7/10

'All Quiet on the Western Front'

The third movie adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque's 1928 book is a strange affair. It alters large amounts of Remarque's story that it can hardly be considered the same thing, whilst managing to retain the sense of horror and futility that the central character experiences. So much so that most of the camaraderie that Paul Baumer (Felix Kammerer) also enjoys is eliminated and, thus, what we are left with in Netflix's version is a thoroughly drab, joyless, and at times terrifying view of trench warfare that characterised the Great War. In the book, though, Paul speaks about his friendship with Kat, Tjaden, Albert etc, so that when they fall we feel Paul's loss. Whereas, in the 2022 movie, we don't have any real understanding of his loss at all because we never get a sense of closeness that these men have. In fact we barely have any understanding of Paul Baumer, himself, and it makes for quite a standoffish viewing experience.

Plus, several key passages and characters are done away with for reasons that remain unclear, even if it's understandable in a film that already boasts a heavy run time. For example the character of Himmelstoss, the petty non-com who has a big impact on Baumer and his comrades, is nowhere to be seen and the teacher who urges Paul and his classmates to go to war, with a fervour that can only come from someone who has never seen combat, is reduced to a few lines of unimpressive dialogue. Paul's leave from the front is cut, which means we don't get to see his disillusionment with those left far behind the lines, including his mother. Important scenes like death of the aforementioned Kat are significantly altered, too, and Paul's last moments are rendered in a terribly unsatisfactory way in a completely unnecessary action scene that is strips all the poignancy out of the book's final paragraphs. However, the biggest change of all is the inclusion of a character that was never in the book, in the shape of Matthias Erzberger (Daniel Bruhl), a real life politician who was against the war and was one of the German delegates who signed the armistice in November 1918. Unfortunately, these scenes with Erzberger only serve to replace more important scenes from the book that really should have remained and they come off as a bit awkward.

But while the movie does have some curious omissions and changes, 'All Quiet on the Western Front' succeeds in its depiction of the horrifying nature of close combat. From the opening scene to the various "over the top" attacks that subsequently occur, no punches are pulled. There are no heroes here, either, and there are no One Man Army Hollywood cliches mowing down legions of "bad guys" with ease. These young men are terrified at what they have to do and they do it with a resigned desperation and almost automatic sense of hopeless duty in a war that lost all meaning for them long ago. In particular there is a failed attack on a French trench that ends with a French counter attack in which they use Saint Chamond tanks and flame throwers that is absolutely chilling.

Over all, despite its shortcomings, the film looks fantastic and the attention to detail is genuinely impressive. The acting is generally very good, with a particularly interesting performance by Albrecht Shcuch as Stanislaus "Kat" Katczinsky, the illiterate "old man" of the group whom Paul looks up to, and the direction is carried out in that very straightforward, no nonsense, German way. 'All Quiet on the Western Front' is very much a German war film in that it's a serious, tragic, and an honest depiction.

8/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    The Grapes Of Death (1978) 6/10

Basically The Crazies set in the French county side. Not sure whether the main character went bat shit at the end just due to the situation or if one of the times they showed her taking a drink it was the tainted wine.

Administrator

England
    Living (2022) - Subtle period drama with Bill Nighy. No big explosions, gun fights, sex scenes, car chases, aliens or zombies (well one maybe ). Just a simple life affirming drama...

8.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Troll (Netflix) - A Norwegian King Kong flick... Fairly watchable

6.5/10
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Barbarian
    It's on Disney+ in the UK. I went into this knowing practically nothing about it, beyond the title, that the reception had been good, and a vague memory of it being 'an AirBnB horror'. Other than that I knew nothing and I think that's part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. It also helped that it was well written with good characterisation, dialogue, and internal logic to the story while not skimping on the horror stuff. Don't watch a trailer or anything, just hop along and give it a looksee, I'd highly recommend it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Barbarian
    It's on Disney+ in the UK. I went into this knowing practically nothing about it, beyond the title, that the reception had been good, and a vague memory of it being 'an AirBnB horror'. Other than that I knew nothing and I think that's part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. It also helped that it was well written with good characterisation, dialogue, and internal logic to the story while not skimping on the horror stuff. Don't watch a trailer or anything, just hop along and give it a looksee, I'd highly recommend it.
    It's a fine film. Lots of clever twists and turns. It plays the audience very well. Uses some interesting storytelling techniques.

I found Justin Long's character to be a bit shallow. His whole arc was fairly flat. It started out interested but at the end it decides to play him off exactly the way he was presented - which felt lazy.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Ninth Configuration
    Terrific cast (a vertiable who's who of superb character actors), excellent setting, some cool atmosphere and plenty indulgence of William Peter Blatty's penchant for religious iconography ... but fuck me, what a pretentious and pondering load of old cobblers. Meandering, riddled with dialogue that suggests Blatty's in-love with his own writing (also see the 'fish in the bathtub' monologue from the otherwise really quite good Exorcist III), and shot-through with ACTORS ACTING!, it's a complete jumble of a movie as baffling as its poster art. The entire point of the movie doesn't really come into focus until the last minutes of the movie after nearly two hours of fairly directionless, overly-serious philosophical mumblings. There's a far better movie in there trying to get out, but it's a lost cause in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It's a fine film. Lots of clever twists and turns. It plays the audience very well. Uses some interesting storytelling techniques.

I found Justin Long's character to be a bit shallow. His whole arc was fairly flat. It started out interested but at the end it decides to play him off exactly the way he was presented - which felt lazy.

I see what you mean about Long's character. Apparently the character was initially conceived as a 'himbo' type and was initially offered to Zac Efron, who turned it down. They brought in Long as a pivot because he comes across as naturally more likeable, so putting him in that role was a good casting juxtaposition. I do agree that his character was more interesting when they were playing it much more 'unsolved', because once you see him talking then it's pretty much case closed on him. However, it was at least good that there is some shading to him, say when we see how horrified he is when he watches one of the videotapes. I also thought his reaction to finding the secret passageway/room quite unexpected and funny, but also quite well pitched as he wouldn't be expecting fucked-up stuff to be happening, unlike the audience who are already clued-in (at least partially).

There was no way in hell they were going to actually have his character be innocent of what he was accused of, no company would dare pay for a film to be mde with that in the story. It would've been a touch better if they'd just left that totally up to us, the viewer, trying to make up our minds based on the tangential information we get and our response to how he responds to the events of the movie.

Other than that, which could've used a little tweak just to polish it up, I was really impressed by the movie. As you say, it keeps you on your toes (a rarity these days), and similarly the commitment to internal logic was such a plus for me because, faaaaaaaaar too often these days, internal logic gets lobbed straight out the feckin' window by piss-lazy excuses for screenwriters.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Dec-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Barbarian
    Enjoyed it, although it got a little lost towards the end with big foot mother being a bit OTT explemplified with the monster seemingly not even obeying traditional laws of gravity Good romp thought!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    R.I.P.D (2013) - Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges go MIB vs Ghostbusters... Fairly mediocre, predictable but watchable stuff.

5.5/10
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    R.I.P.D (2013) - Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges go MIB vs Ghostbusters... Fairly mediocre, predictable but watchable stuff.

5.5/10
    I think there's a sequel getting made to this, no? I was quite surprised by that - nearly ten years on to a film that didn't make much of an impact? Strange...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    The Grapes Of Death (1978) 6/10

Basically The Crazies set in the French county side. Not sure whether the main character went bat shit at the end just due to the situation or if one of the times they showed her taking a drink it was the tainted wine.
    I saw this. It's pretty crap. But hey, it's got something.

Super Moderator

UK
    Thirteen Lives
    It's taken me a while to get around to this one, but gave it a spin today and this Ron Howard directed telling of the 'Thai football team stuck in a cave' story was very good indeed, and much better paced than I'd thought it might be (it's 2 hours 20 minutes by the time the credits roll). Good performances all round, well anchored by Mortenson and Farrell, and plenty of genuine tension - not for those with a fear of drowning or small spaces, that's for sure!

The Captor
    A sort of comedy/drama/thriller type deeley starring Ethan Hawke and Noomi Rapace about the Kreditbank robbery attempt that lead to the term "Stockholm Syndrome", an 'absurd true story' as the opening credits inform us. I'm unawares of it's degree of accuracy, but it was certainly an entertaining and slickly-paced movie that rattled along very nicely - 87 minutes when the credits rolled.