Page 27 of 173 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

United States

"Alyce Kills" 9/10 (Amazing) - A very different kind of horror movie, as a woman driven by guilt after accidentally pushing her best friend off a roof descends into a nightmare of sex, drugs, murder, & madness. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

"Alyce Kills" 9/10 (Amazing) - A very different kind of horror movie, as a woman driven by guilt after accidentally pushing her best friend off a roof descends into a nightmare of sex, drugs, murder, & madness. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it.
    Sounds interesting, its on my list!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, sounds interesting Moon - I'll keep it in-mind for the future.

Jarhead - 9/10.

I've seen it a few times, but watched it again last night for the first time in a while and I still dig it. Great book, great film.

United States
    ^^^ Hope you enjoy it lads. It's been getting a fair amount of buzz, & I found it worthy of the word-of-mouth it's been getting.

Speaking of buzz...

"Starry Eyes" 9/10 (Amazing) - A scathing (& thinly veiled) indictment of Hollywood & the price of fame & ambition rolled up in a gruesome piece of body horror. Carried on the strong performance of star Alexandra Essoe as the fresh faced newcomer who is willing to sacrifice anything to be a star, it's a very slow & stomach turning build, but pays off with a disturbing explosion of true horror at the end.

Watch for a number of nods to other horror films, such as "The Fly" & "The Evil Dead", dig the retro title card & credits, & listen to the well-utilized soundtrack, including a versatile main que that repeats in a number of scenes in a variety of ways, & some very Carpenter-esque synth at the end.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 20-Nov-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: .

UK
    ^^^ Hope you enjoy it lads. It's been getting a fair amount of buzz, & I found it worthy of the word-of-mouth it's been getting.

Speaking of buzz...

"Starry Eyes" 9/10 (Amazing) - A scathing (& thinly veiled) indictment of Hollywood & the price of fame & ambition rolled up in a gruesome piece of body horror. Carried on the strong performance of star Alexandra Essoe as the fresh faced newcomer who is willing to sacrifice anything to be a star, it's a very slow & stomach turning build, but pays off with a disturbing explosion of true horror at the end.

Watch for a number of nods to other horror films, such as "The Fly" & "The Evil Dead", dig the retro title card & credits, & listen to the well-utilized soundtrack, including a versatile main que that repeats in a numer of scenese in a variety of ways, &some very Carpenter-esque synth at the end.
    another one for the list
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    another one for the list

Thinking about it today, between it & "Alyce" I'd probably recommend "Alyce" a tad more, just because the story was a bit more complex & I didn't know where it was going. In retrospect the story of "Starry Eyes" is fairly simple, maybe even predictable in hindsight, but I was so engrossed in the performance & what was happening I didn't give much thought to where it was going.

Undisclosed

Speaking of buzz...

Watch for a number of nods to other horror films, such as "The Fly" & "The Evil Dead", dig the retro title card & credits, & listen to the well-utilized soundtrack, including a versatile main que that repeats in a number of scenes in a variety of ways, & some very Carpenter-esque synth at the end.
    I watched some clips and it just seems tame to me. Anyone care to spoil this movie for me?

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll stick "Starry Eyes" on the list as well.

Finally got around to seeing "The Dead" ... 5.5/10

Insufferably slow at times with a disappointing lack of plot propulsion or character depth. I was left checking my watch and thinking "why should I care about these people ... I don't know their names, I don't know who they are, why they're here, what they want" ... and it was only deep into the movie that we got some info, but by that time the damage had been done.

On the plus side the setting is pretty unique and I'm glad to see an indie zombie effort sidestep the standard go-to of feckin' runners, and there were a several stand-out moments ... but the plot and characterisation were disappointingly threadbare, so it did nothing to draw me in or make me care. The zombie outbreak elements were fairly standard, too ... I'd seen much of this stuff before many times over, albeit not in this particular locale.

A commendable effort, but it fell short in a few key areas for me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I watched some clips and it just seems tame to me. Anyone care to spoil this movie for me?
    The first 80% or so is VERY tame. The last 20% or there 'bouts is anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'll stick "Starry Eyes" on the list as well.

Finally got around to seeing "The Dead" ... 5.5/10

"Here Comes the Devil" 4/10 (Disappointing) - Bizarre, hyper-sexual horror film from Mexico.

A couple's son and daughter inexplicably reappear after being lost overnight on a desolate, cave-riddled mountainside. Becoming withdrawn and beginning to exhibit strange behavior, their parents quickly assume something sinister happened to them while missing and alone. But after hearing an ominous local legend... the concerned mother and father begin to realize that their children may have fallen prey to something inhuman - and that this dark, unstoppable evil has now returned home with them.
    This was another film that was getting quite the buzz on all the usual media outlets for horror. Unfortunately, for me the praise was undeserved. Titillation for its own sake, very little real horror, & an anti-climactic ending with little real payoff. There were a few interesting ideas that keep you guessing, but ultimately it all fell flat & left me feeling unsatisfied at the end.

"Texas Chainsaw 3D" 8/10 (Great) - Stupid 80's Slasher throwback with logical inconsistencies and plot holes big as the state of Texas. And I loved every minute. Fun, goofy, & cheesetastic to the extreme.

A shame to loose the serious horror cred the previous two Platinum Dunes films had brought back to the series, which hadn't existed since the first film, but this one is a less dour viewing experience, & just pure silly fun. "Do yer thing cuz!" indeed.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Nov-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK

"Texas Chainsaw 3D" 8/10 (Great)

All that smut has fried your brain, surely? To be fair I've not seen it yet, but I've only heard bad things about it and any clips I've seen have been cringe-inducing.

I'll still watch it when it comes on the telly, though...

United States

All that smut has fried your brain, surely? To be fair I've not seen it yet, but I've only heard bad things about it and any clips I've seen have been cringe-inducing.

I'll still watch it when it comes on the telly, though...
    Me?!? Mr "5.5" on "The Dead" asks...

To be fair, I did use words like "Stupid" & "Cheesetastic" to describe it, so buyer beware. But for me, this one was to the TCM franchise what "F13th VI: Jason Lives" was to that franchise. Completely over the top, totally lacking in intelligence, still a lot of fun. I said 80's Slasher Throwback, & I meant it. I love 'em, so take that into account as well.

Ireland

Thinking about it today, between it & "Alyce" I'd probably recommend "Alyce" a tad more, just because the story was a bit more complex & I didn't know where it was going. In retrospect the story of "Starry Eyes" is fairly simple, maybe even predictable in hindsight, but I was so engrossed in the performance & what was happening I didn't give much thought to where it was going.
    Um...I'd be the reverse Moonie.

I thought 'Alyce' didn't work for long periods, the first 20 minutes were a chore, and in the end it was a bit silly.

The end of 'Starry Eyes' was nuts though and it was, generally, better acted throughout.

However, both pictures were strung up on paper thin storylines, if I'm honest.

5/10 for 'Alyce' and 6/10 for 'Starry Eyes'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Um...I'd be the reverse Moonie.

I thought 'Alyce' didn't work for long periods, the first 20 minutes were a chore, and in the end it was a bit silly.

The end of 'Starry Eyes' was nuts though and it was, generally, better acted throughout.

However, both pictures were strung up on paper thin storylines, if I'm honest.

5/10 for 'Alyce' and 6/10 for 'Starry Eyes'.
    Hm. The set up of "Alyce" didn't bother me. I liked seeing those girls together (even though they were so terminally un-likable on some level). I was intrigued by everything that happened, every grotty, sleazy second. The end was bat-shit gonzo, no doubt about that.

"Starry" was better acted, no argument there, though the lead in "Alyce" was really good in the part. I dug the guy playing the drug dealer too.

I've been rating a lot of movies (2000+ so far) on Netflix since I signed up to it a few weeks ago, & Criticker & Jinni, & have realized something: I'm a bit of a softie. You guys are way harsher critics than I am.

Super Moderator

UK
    Me?!? Mr "5.5" on "The Dead" asks...

What did you rate The Dead, again? I was a bit surprised when I watched it considering all the love it was getting on here ... there were definitely unique things about it, and things that worked well, but there was a bunch of other stuff that was either disappointingly generic or just flat-out boring about it for me personally. Hmmm...

You guys are way harsher critics than I am.
    We're sexier, too.

United States

What did you rate The Dead, again? I was a bit surprised when I watched it considering all the love it was getting on here ... there were definitely unique things about it, and things that worked well, but there was a bunch of other stuff that was either disappointingly generic or just flat-out boring about it for me personally. Hmmm...
    10/10 (Must See).

Here's the (modified for Criticker) scale that I've been using (thanks Jinni!) to give some context:

(11 - Beloved)
    10 - Must See
    9- Amazing
    8 - Great
    7 - Good
    6 - OK
    5- So-so
    4- Disappointing
    3- Poor
    2 -Bad
    1- Awful
    (0 - Abysmal)

We're sexier, too.
    You wish junior. When J.T. brought sexy back, he had to come to me to borrow some first.