Page 33 of 173 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

Great depiction of drug use. Some plot threads are left unresolved, tho. 3/5

Love that film, was like what our parties were like here
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Ireland
    'Seeking a Friend for the End of the World'

6/10

'These Final Hours'

8.5/10

'The Rover'

8.5/10

'Cold in July'

8/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK

8/10

Undisclosed

Into The Woods 8/10 and yes, it is a musical.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Really? Wow!

I didn't get a very good vibe from the trailer when I saw it... Interesting!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Really? Wow!

I didn't get a very good vibe from the trailer when I saw it... Interesting!
    It worked a lot better than many folks give it credit for.
    My only wish(in keeping with the theme of the play)was that they'd gotten Bernadette Peters as The Witch instead of Meryl Streep(just because that's who I identified with the role on stage.). Johnny Depp did well as The Wolf(his part was brief but smarmy)

Chris Pine was suitably wooden as the insincere prince who was nevertheless quite charming and, of course, Emily Blunt was amazing.
    Last edited by wayzim; 05-Jan-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: B'cuz

United States

"Marwencol" - 10/10 (Must See)

"Marwencol" is a documentary about the fantasy world of Mark Hogancamp. After being beaten into a brain-damaging coma by five men outside a bar, Mark builds a 1/6th scale World War II-era town in his backyard. Mark populates the town he dubs "Marwencol" with dolls representing his friends and family and creates life-like photographs detailing the town's many relationships and dramas. Playing in the town and photographing the action helps Mark to recover his hand-eye coordination and deal with the psychic wounds of the attack. When Mark and his photographs are discovered, a prestigious New York gallery sets up an art show. Suddenly Mark's homemade therapy is deemed "art", forcing him to choose between the safety of his fantasy life in Marwencol and the real world that he's avoided since the attack.
    Utterly fascinating. I love GI Joe's & Barbie's & other 12" dolls from my childhood days anyway, so when I heard about this one I was intrigued, & when I heard the story it was a must-see.

Mark's brain damage was so severe he had to relearn everything, including walking, speech, etc, & all memory of his previous life is gone. Since the attack he's had to discover...

...and as this documentary chronicles his subsequent self-designed therapy of building, staging, & photographing his fictional town of Marwencol & its ongoing dramas it asks the question...

Despite having some slightly odd tendencies

Mark has a women's shoe fetish & cross dresses
    my heart couldn't help but go out to this sad, lonely, shattered human being struggling to survive, & build a new life & world for himself. There's something very relatable to me about Mark's situation & his course of action to deal with it, retreating into the safety of Marwencol & its inhabitants.

UK

7/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post

7/10
    Christ! You're going to be taken out by a North Korean hit squad now!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Christ! You're going to be taken out by a North Korean hit squad now!
    Oh NO!! haha, i was expecting a lot more from it i think, i seen some mad ratings for it, it was good but it was only funny in parts.

Super Moderator

UK
    Marwencol sounds really interesting. I'll have to keep a look out for it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yes, that's been on my "to watch list" for ages!
    -Carl Sagan

UK

7/10

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yes, that's been on my "to watch list" for ages!
    I'm not a huge documentary guy, but the subject matter & the story were highly compelling to me. Mark's story, both from before & after the attack is amazing & thought provoking. And I love all the 1/6th scale figures & models & photography of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post

7/10
    I've been looking forward to seeing this one.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 07-Jan-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: .

UK

7/10

- - - Updated - - -

7/10