Page 36 of 173 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

United States

"V/H/S 2": 9/10 (Amazing) - The rare sequel as good as, or superior to, the first. IMO the segments are generally tighter as a whole, & a closer to the same level of overall quality though out , whereas I found the first more uneven.

The only two things that prevented me from giving this one a perfect 10/10 was first the ending of the 3rd segment

containing a silly & unconvincing animatronic
    , which took some sting off of what was otherwise a thoroughly awesome, gory, & horrifying segment in general even BEFORE

its supernatural reveal & homages to "Resident Evil", "Silent Hill" & "Doom"
    due to the thoroughly realistic & gripping recreation of such horrors as

Jonestown or Heaven's Gate
    which made for a gruesome & terrifying segment.

Second, was the 4th segment which, though well done & enjoyable up to the point that the action started, just felt pointless in general w/ an unpleasant (in a bad way) ending

dog violence/cruelty to animals. I know it's not real, but it just didn't sit well with me

But those two negatives aside, the 1st segment was solid, the 2nd OUTSTANDING, & the 3rd was great (above comments notwithstanding), & even the least of the bunch (#4) was still solid. Also of note was a somewhat superior "wraparound" which left a smaller footprint & was overall tighter. (Nice how they tied the two films together as well & made them feel connected & par of an overall whole, rather than being "merely" two anthology films.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 02-Feb-2015 at 02:13 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Moon - I agree with you on VHS 2 - indeed, I'd say that it's clearly superior to the first movie (which was overlong and featured numerous male characters whose opinions of women were sorely misjudged by the screenwriters - rather than justify their suffering it just made it more of a chore to watch because they were merely one dimensional arseholes - at least the final segment didn't have that tone to it).

But yeah, the first VHS was one segment too long and the wrap around was clumsy (they hadn't figured it out enough in the script) - however VHS 2 is vastly superior to the first movie. Breezier running time, tighter segments (all of which are thoroughly entertaining and inventive), and a talented crop of directors.

Whether VHS 3 (or "Viral" as they've decided to call it) will be up to snuff with VHS 2 remains to be seen ... I'll see it eventually.

Super Moderator

UK
    RoboCop 2 - 7.5/10

The second flick still holds up pretty damn well and retains a lot of what made the first one great, although the villains aren't quite as arresting this time around, and generally it's a little flabbier in parts ... but it's still a cool flick with plenty of satire, action, and some emotion retained from the first (although the emotional stuff gets kinda forgotten after the first act). It had been years since I'd seen it and I was wondering if it'd be as enjoyable as I remember it being many moons ago - fortunately it's still a solid movie.

For comparison I'd give the first movie a 10/10.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    RoboCop 2 - 7.5/10

The second flick still holds up pretty damn well and retains a lot of what made the first one great, although the villains aren't quite as arresting this time around, and generally it's a little flabbier in parts ... but it's still a cool flick with plenty of satire, action, and some emotion retained from the first (although the emotional stuff gets kinda forgotten after the first act). It had been years since I'd seen it and I was wondering if it'd be as enjoyable as I remember it being many moons ago - fortunately it's still a solid movie.

For comparison I'd give the first movie a 10/10.
    Co-written by Frank Miller (Sin City) & directed by Irvin Kershner (The Empire Strikes Back)!!!

Haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember it being damn solid (though not as good as the first, but how do you top THAT!)

I liked the idea of trying to make more Robo's, & why they COULDN'T, the insight this gives us into Alex Murphy, Tom Noonan is always welcome, the drug angle (NUKE!!!! NUUUUUUUKE!!!!!) & I remember at least one good set piece ("isn't this a school day?") & the showdown with "Robocop 2" ("Dead or Alive, you're coming with me.")

BTW your new avatar is the stuff dreams are made of. The...face (& other assorted parts) that launched a thousand, er, nevermind...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    'A Fantastic Fear of Everything'

This film is very odd and very likely not to everyone's liking, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Simon Pegg stars as an author that has spent much of his time researching serial killers of the past for his book "Decades of Death". He spends so much time buried in his research that he begins to fear that there are killers everywhere, including inside his own apartment/flat, and spirals into a bit of insanity himself.

It's a strange mix of Tim Burton, Pegg's humor, and a splash of Guillermo Del Toro horror. As I said, it clearly wouldn't be a film for everyone, but I think a lot of the members here could get behind it. I loved it. 7.5/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Under The Skin - 7.5/10

Needless to say, what with Scarlett Johanson getting her kit off throughout, I'd be drowning in that pitch black goo faster than you can say "stiffies, in a 15 certificate movie?!"

A weird and meandering low-fi sci-fi that's as much about textures and senses as it is about anything else ... a strange and visually stunning piece of filmmaking. ScarJo absolutely rocks in it - she's been making some excellent career choices of late, combining box office mega-flicks like The Avengers with intriguing pieces such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Co-written by Frank Miller (Sin City) & directed by Irvin Kershner (The Empire Strikes Back)!!!

Haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember it being damn solid (though not as good as the first, but how do you top THAT!)

I liked the idea of trying to make more Robo's, & why they COULDN'T, the insight this gives us into Alex Murphy, Tom Noonan is always welcome, the drug angle (NUKE!!!! NUUUUUUUKE!!!!!) & I remember at least one good set piece ("isn't this a school day?") & the showdown with "Robocop 2" ("Dead or Alive, you're coming with me.")

BTW your new avatar is the stuff dreams are made of. The...face (& other assorted parts) that launched a thousand, er, nevermind...
    Oh there's plenty of excellent action sequences in it (not to mention some of Phil Tippett's best stop motion work) - plus an awesome bit where Robo pinches a motorbike and faces off with Tom Noonan in a truck. Yeah, it's not as great as the first - but it'd be impossible to make something that good again in the series - RoboCop 2 is a very solid and entertaining sequel though.

On my avatar - I've put it up a few times as it's just that good ... and every time I use that avatar it frustrates Neil because it isn't a .gif

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

This film is very odd and very likely not to everyone's liking, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Simon Pegg stars as an author that has spent much of his time researching serial killers of the past for his book "Decades of Death". He spends so much time buried in his research that he begins to fear that there are killers everywhere, including inside his own apartment/flat, and spirals into a bit of insanity himself.

It's a strange mix of Tim Burton, Pegg's humor, and a splash of Guillermo Del Toro horror. As I said, it clearly wouldn't be a film for everyone, but I think a lot of the members here could get behind it. I loved it. 7.5/10
    I saw this a while ago. It was enjoyable enough while it lasted, but I don't think I'll be in any rush to see it again.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Been looking forward to seeing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Under The Skin - 7.5/10

Needless to say, what with Scarlett Johanson getting her kit off throughout, I'd be drowning in that pitch black goo faster than you can say "stiffies, in a 15 certificate movie?!"

A weird and meandering low-fi sci-fi that's as much about textures and senses as it is about anything else ... a strange and visually stunning piece of filmmaking. ScarJo absolutely rocks in it - she's been making some excellent career choices of late, combining box office mega-flicks like The Avengers with intriguing pieces such as this.
    Been looking forward to seeing this one quite a bit too.

A weird and meandering low-fi sci-fi
    Is it just me, or has this type of film been making a comeback? I've been seeing a fair amount of them lately, which makes me glad. "The Machine", "Automatia", "Starry Eyes", (seems like at least one more I can't remember off the top o' me head), & one that really stuck with me, "Honeymoon".

Undisclosed
    Masque of the red death (1964) 10/10

220px-MasqueOfTheRedDeath(1964film).jpg

Out of all the Roger Corman directed Poe pics, this film plays all the right notes to affect a colorful atmosphere of evil, decadence & rightful vengeance. With every repeat viewing, there's always something new going on in the background as well. And I can never get enough of Jane Asher and Hazel Court, who are more than simply eye candy in their confident performances.

Ireland
    'American Sniper'

3/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK

7/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States

"Blue Ruin" 9/10 (Amazing) - A low key & deliberately paced slow rolling boil of revenge.

"Horns" 8/10 (Great) - An odd mix of dark faerie tale, Tales From the Crypt episode, murder mystery, & revenge.

UK

7/10

- - - Updated - - -

5/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK

Maps To The Stars - 9/10

It takes about ten minutes to get into the groove, but once you're in - you're in - and blimey charlie, it's a bonkers flick! I didn't get along with Cronenberg's previous movie "Cosmopolis", but thankfully MTTS is infinitely more accessible, and not only that because it's deviously entertaining.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Feb-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Ireland
    It's not getting universal love out there mini.

But, it's got to be better than 'Cosmopolis' all right.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's not getting universal love out there mini.

But, it's got to be better than 'Cosmopolis' all right.
    Is it not? I thought it was doing quite well (I'd only read/heard thing good things about it) ... well, I can definitely say that it's a crackin' flick. Check it out, folks.