Page 43 of 173 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

UK

8/10

- - - Updated - - -

6/10

- - - Updated - - -

7/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Interstellar - Nolan's nod to 2001 with a big injection of heart. Fantastic piece of cinema. Could use some trims and a few touch ups here and there, but a monumental achievement in filmmaking and a thoroughly enjoyable journey. 8/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Interstellar - Nolan's nod to 2001 with a big injection of heart. Fantastic piece of cinema. Could use some trims and a few touch ups here and there, but a monumental achievement in filmmaking and a thoroughly enjoyable journey. 8/10
    Agreed. Just saw it the other day for the first time on Blu-Ray.

Ireland
    'Milius'

8/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Milius'

8/10
    Catch it on Film4 by any chance? I saw it t'other day that way - agreed on this too - a crackin' doc and really interesting for movie fans.

Ireland
    Eh...yeh...Film4...something like that.

It's a good doc alright. But Milius is an out and out nutter, a real icon of 70's cinema though. The last section is real sad though. But, things seem to be getting better. I like the idea of a Milius scripted 'Genghis Kahn' and if the doc is anything to go by, they're really trying for an Arnie Conan sequel. Although, he looks ridiculous in his interview sections. All stretched faced and dyed hair.

I saw the trailer for 'Maggie' the other day and looked ok in that, so maybe a 'Conan the King' might work. Really though, the time has passed. It's a pity the trilogy Milius had in mind didn't get made.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Agreed. Just saw it the other day for the first time on Blu-Ray.
    I purchased the blu ray, as well. It has a nice selection of special features, but the only negative is that they're split into multiple featurettes rather than an extensive documentary. It could have easily been edited into one long feature and it would have made it much more enjoyable rather than having to click on the next entry every 10-20 minutes.

I also keep hoping that one day Nolan will start doing feature commentaries. Frank Darabont eventually gave in after initially saying he wouldn't do commentaries, so there may be hope for Nolan...
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Apr-2015 at 12:17 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I purchased the blu ray, as well. It has a nice selection of special features, but the only negative is that they're split into multiple featurettes rather than an extensive documentary. It could have easily been edited into one long feature and it would have made it much more enjoyable rather than having to click on the next entry every 10-20 minutes.

I also keep hoping that one day Nolan will start doing feature commentaries. Frank Darabont eventually gave in after initially saying he wouldn't do commentaries, so there may be hope for Nolan...
    Splitting the pieces up didn't bother me so much - the repetitive use of a couple of very recognisable pieces of music from the soundtrack, on the other hand, did. A fantastic score, but the number of times they used the same track in pretty much every single featurette did grind on me quickly - but fascinating supplemental material all the same (the 50 minute 'Science of Interstellar' was a bit of a head-shagger though, hehe) - the one about the music was rather interesting, particularly seeing the operation of that gigantic church organ!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes, very interesting score from Zimmer. I had a chuckle with even Nolan telling him he'd started to get too "recognizable" and it was time to reinvent himself. I've heard lots of fans say the same ever since the Inception "waaaahhhhh"....

And yeah, I was surprised the Nolan's went as far as to make the science of the film as realistic as possible. Making the black holes appear as real as humans can understand and all that.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Apr-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: .

UK

8/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Ireland
    'Interstellar'

9/10

'Contact'

5/10

''71'

8/10

'Starred Up'

7/10

'Paddington'

4/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Interstellar'

9/10

'Contact'

5/10
    Wow! I found Contact to be a far more reasoned and solid film than Interstellar

Interstellar almost felt needy to me! Just trying soooooo hard! And nothing sums this up more than they nature of the special effects in the two. Interstellar, brash and in your face, where as Contact was subtle and understated to the point you didn't even notice the special effects sometimes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0_5HFMPIg
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Um, maybe it's because I watched it after 'Interstellar'. But, I found some of 'Contact' to be a bit too meh and Garry Busey's son was just awful. Just awful. Hot on his heels was a pre-renaissance McConaughey, reminding me of why I cannot stand much of his output and Jodie could be sort of grating too, at times.

For a 1997 film, some of the effects are great, but some not so, even for 1997. But there are a couple of really well handled shots, no doubt. The opening is worth sitting through on its own.

All in all though, I was just left a bit underwhelmed.

They're two films that are waaaay too similar to each other to be accidental, but I felt that 'Interstellar' was the more satisfying watch. I'll probably return to 'Contact' at another stage, but I can't say that I'm going to be rushing back.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

I enjoyed it. 4/5

Super Moderator

UK
    House of 1000 Corpses - 8/10

The Devil's Rejects - 10/10

American Beauty - 9/10

Been a good long while since I'd seen American Beauty and it still holds up brilliantly. Also reminded me of this:

The dancing bag bit always cracks me up.