Page 48 of 173 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Kingsman: The Secret Service - 8/10

Maybe a touch long, but thoroughly entertaining throughout - the church sequence is a particular highlight ... and while the oft-criticised-by-reviewers bum sex joke at the end isn't offensive, it is tonally out-of-touch with the rest of the film and sits there rather awkwardly. Crackin' flick, mind.

This next one isn't a film, but rather a two-part ITV drama from 2011...

Appropriate Adult - 9/10

It's about Fred and Rose West, but from the perspective of Fred's 'appropriate adult' (someone who is there to help the suspect with certain things, help them understand what's happening etc if they have mental problems or whatever). Anyway, it's a really interesting angle on the story, and the central performances of Emily Watson (as the appropriate adult Janet Leach) and Dominic West (as Fred West) are superb ... indeed, Dominic West is exceptionally convincing as Fred, he absolutely transforms. Monica Dolan is also particularly intimidating as Rose West - utterly convincing as the most sadistic and controlling of the pair.

Ireland
    'Evil Dead' (2013)

7/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Kingsman: The Secret Service - 8/10

Maybe a touch long, but thoroughly entertaining throughout - the church sequence is a particular highlight ... and while the oft-criticised-by-reviewers bum sex joke at the end isn't offensive, it is tonally out-of-touch with the rest of the film and sits there rather awkwardly. Crackin' flick, mind.
    Enjoyed it too! One or two parts felt a bit clunky, especially the daft "bum sex" type stuff!

I also found the glamourising of innocent people butchering other innocent people to MTV style video editing/music, a little uncomfortable.

But a good flick!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Appropriate Adult - 9/10

It's about Fred and Rose West, but from the perspective of Fred's 'appropriate adult' (someone who is there to help the suspect with certain things, help them understand what's happening etc if they have mental problems or whatever). Anyway, it's a really interesting angle on the story, and the central performances of Emily Watson (as the appropriate adult Janet Leach) and Dominic West (as Fred West) are superb ... indeed, Dominic West is exceptionally convincing as Fred, he absolutely transforms. Monica Dolan is also particularly intimidating as Rose West - utterly convincing as the most sadistic and controlling of the pair.
    Not sure I could watch this.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not sure I could watch this.
    Appropriate Adult isn't graphic, rather it's more chilling than anything else. You're not seeing bodies and such; the 'worst' of it is all verbal description. It's creepy when they go inside the recreation of 25 Cromwell Street, though, but again nothing graphic. It's more the thought of what went on that's disturbing. Superbly written and performed, so it was - definitely recommended viewing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Evil Dead' (2013)

7/10
    Yeah, I thought it was alright as well ... however, of course, not a patch on Raimi's original films (I adore the first flick particularly) ... but it's pretty entertaining. The remake does have some cringeworthy dialogue in it though of the thunderingly clunky variety at times (the "you know I'm your sister" variety), and a few dunderheaded moments (gee, yeah, let's just leave the car keys for anyone who desperately wants to escape so they can easily steal them!) ... and the opening scene is entirely unnecessary ... and I really miss the all-white eyes of the demons (that are styled a bit too 'Exorcisty' in ED'13) ... but it's pretty decent. Top notch on the gore front, and it has helped bring us Ash vs Evil Dead.

Ireland
    Personally, I thought it was far, far, far superior to the original film, of which I was never a fan (other than as a mere curiosity piece) and I'm not a fan of Raimi in particular. Frankly all the guy has is 'Evil Dead II' and 'A Simple Plan' as far as I'm concerned amongst a ton of dross.

Sure, there was some piss poor dialogue (as there is in almost every horror film), but I liked the way the characters were just ordinary folk and not really walking horror film cliches. I especially liked the guy with the glasses for some reason.

On the effects side, they're a minor triumph IMHO. This film is one of the few times that I could feel the soreness of what was appearing on screen. Some of the effects were simply wince inducing.

The opening scene was some what superfluous...but it was also great and it really set me up for the film. A film which I thought I wasn't going to enjoy that much.

Super Moderator

UK
    I especially liked the guy with the glasses for some reason.

On the effects side, they're a minor triumph IMHO. This film is one of the few times that I could feel the soreness of what was appearing on screen. Some of the effects were simply wince inducing.
    1) Aye! Same here. He was probably my favourite character, and was played by Lou Taylor Pucci.

2) Definitely! I winced multiple times during it - the nailgun bit was quite inducing, and the arm getting hacked off, and the pustules on the hand, the split tongue etc. Gross-out craziness, haha.

United States
    Frankly all the guy has is 'Evil Dead II' and 'A Simple Plan' as far as I'm concerned amongst a ton of dross.

You're a Master Baiter, you are.

Ireland
    That's me!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As far as I'm concerned, The Evil Dead series is really all about Army of Darkness. The first two seem almost like practice for Raimi. Kind of like he wasn't yet sure what kind of film he wanted to make, horror or comedy. He could have done both, but the switches between the two just don't flow very well. With Army of Darkness everything came together. LOVE Army of Darkness and Ash Vs Evil Dead seems to wisely be playing more off of that film's tone.
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Jul-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    I agree with you on Raimi. He always came across, to me, as confused and far too willing to lump in a dose of stupid "comedy" where it doesn't belong. I think he's way to enamoured with the Three Stooges too.

I think half way through his 'Evil Dead' he decided to camp it up, because he realised that people would probably laugh at it anyway. He upped the comic aspect in 'Evil Dead II', which succeeds as one of the few comedy horrors (a genre I detest) because of Bruce Campbell and finally went to town with 'Army of Darkness'.

For me, his only truly focused picture is 'A Simple Plan', which is a very fine thriller and something I'd like to see more of from him. I'm certainly not holding my breath for his 'The Last of Us' adaptation, which frankly I think he lacks the spine for. That film needs to be very dark in tone, if it's to come even remotely close to the minor triumph that the game was.

- - - Updated - - -

'Man of Steel'

6.5/10

Not half as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. Snyder's best film yet!

Administrator

England

'Man of Steel'

6.5/10

Not half as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. Snyder's best film yet!
    I'd still say his most effective/best film is 300...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I hate the way that film is shot though.

United States
    Currently viewing: "The House by the Cemetery". I'd give it 4/5.
    - Jeff

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJeffHale View Post
    Currently viewing: "The House by the Cemetery". I'd give it 4/5.
    Not seen that one... But I believe it's supposed to be one of his better flicks?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    'We Are Still Here'

6/10