Page 49 of 173 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not seen that one... But I believe it's supposed to be one of his better flicks?
    Very atmospheric, and has some spectacularly gory moments, and one of his best movies ... the voice dub on the little boy in the film though, holy shit, talk about grating!

Although they're not linked in terms of stories or characters, the 'Gates of Hell' trilogy is excellent. City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, and The House By The Cemetery make for a groovy trio of Italian horror delights.

United States
    Trainwreck - Loved it. 8/10.
    Another reason for me to love Judd Apatow. I will also give some chops to Amy Schumer, because this one gets all feely by the end of it, and she plays a really good actual trainwreck. Hope it's not autobiographical...
    I think Judd did a really good job turning her script into a really solid movie. I'm reading his book, by the way, and it is deeply insightful on his drive and how his mind works. Gush, gush.
    Anyhoo, I think it's another hit for Team Judd. I doubt I would own it, but I'd linger on it cable-wise. Can't wait to see what he's doing next. I know at some point he's making a new Pee Wee movie. Please, GAWD, let that happen!!!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    The Earth Dies Screaming - 5/10
    Not perfect but pleasant enough

Ireland
    'The Way Way Back'

A surprising 7.5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Gone Girl - 9/10

I saw it in the cinema when it came out, so this was a second viewing - still love it. Fincher consistently delivers and Flynn does a fantastic job on the script version of her own book ... and "Like Home" from the soundtrack is just darkly sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'The Way Way Back'

A surprising 7.5/10
    Agreed. I wasn't really interested in it generally, but I caught an early scene from it when channel hopping and enjoyed it, so I caught it the next time it was on for the whole thing - a pleasant surprise. Not my favourite coming-of-age/transformative-summer flick of recent years, but a solid entry.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Aug-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Ireland
    'Slow West'

9/10

'Maniac (1980)

6/10

United States
    Cop Car. Very good, despite the queasiness I felt when I saw Kevin Bacon was in it. There is an awesome scene where a guy tells two kids what he's going to do to their parents, and even their pets!!!
    Kill Me Three Times, with Simon Pegg. Also a very good movie, just loved it. Alot of bad luck like the movie above I just mentioned...
    Tortured. Didn't realize Bill Mosely was in it. If I had, I might have passed it up. Glad I didn't. What a twist!!!
    The last two are on Netflix, but Cop Car is still out. Amazed it has made no money, or gotten a wider release. Instead, we get found footage shit like The Gallows, or whatever the fuck it was in Unfriended...
    Computer screen douchebaggery.

Ireland
    'The Godfather'

10/10

'The Godfather Part II'

10/10

'The Godfather Part III'

6/10

'All the President's Men'

10/10

'Sherlock Holmes'

3/10

All in all, not a bad way to spend 12+ hours at 40,000 feet over the Atlantic.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    'A Million Ways to Die in the West'. I had seen a lot of negative reviews for Seth MacFarlane's second theatrical effort but I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. In typical Macfarlane fashion, some of the jokes go over the top and too long, but in all its a very funny comedy set in the old west. I enjoyed it more than the two Ted films, anyway. 7/10

Ireland
    'Django Unchained'

5/10

Ireland
    'Backdraft'

3/10 (some things are best left to memory)

United States
    Self/less: Solid B+. I saw the critics didn't much care for it, but I'm glad I didn't much listen to/care about what they said. I liked it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Side Effects - 8/10
    All I knew about it was that it was directed by Steven Soderberg, and related to the pharmaceutical industry/culture in America ... beyond that I knew nothing else about it. It ended up being a really intriguing mystery drama with plenty of grey morals and flawed characters with issues that aren't always cleared up in a tidy bow. The climax is a bit rushed after a well-paced build up, but all-said-and-done I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Death Wish - 7.5/10
    I've never seen any of these movies before, so I gave it a spin - it was a pretty good revenge thriller, and interesting that he doesn't fully satisfy his revenge. Also funny to see Jeff Goldblum as one of the inciting incident thugs and - blink and you'll miss him - Denzel Washington as a mugger. The second movie was on telly last night, so I've recorded it to watch later.

Ireland
    'Death Wish' is a good little film, full of 70's New York grit. The best thing about it is that Bronson's character isn't an M60 totting Schwarzenegger type. He's just an ordinary Joe, that's pushed over the edge. He doesn't relish the thought of killing the thugs that populate the streets and isn't a man who takes murder lightly, although he deliberately invites danger.

I seem to recall liking 'Death Wish II' more than I should have. But, I've never seen any of the other films, which I understand are terrible and I don't intend to.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Death Wish' is a good little film, full of 70's New York grit. The best thing about it is that Bronson's character isn't an M60 totting Schwarzenegger type. He's just an ordinary Joe, that's pushed over the edge. He doesn't relish the thought of killing the thugs that populate the streets and isn't a man who takes murder lightly, although he deliberately invites danger.

I seem to recall liking 'Death Wish II' more than I should have. But, I've never seen any of the other films, which I understand are terrible and I don't intend to.

My first impression of the Death Wish franchise was that very clip from The Simpson's.

What's also interesting about the first film is that he's initially repulsed by his actions, but then he kind of gets a liking for it - a taste - and then he really begins to relish it. He has a complete conversion of character compared to what he was like at the start of the film. A very satisfying watch with plenty of grit, as you say.