Page 56 of 173 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "A Very Murray Christmas". Bill Murray, Sophia Coppola, lots of stars, and Christmas. What's not to like? 9/10

"American Ultra". Not bad. But nothing special either.
    Certainly not worth the holier-than-thou rant that Max Landis posted around the time of it's release. 6/10
    1) What's this? Never heard of it. Is it some kind of special, or is it a movie?

2) I see that Landis' latest film that he wrote (that new Frankenstein thing) has generally been getting slated. Oh dear, as Neil would say.

Ireland
    Saw an interview on Red Letter Media with Landis. Seems like an alright fella, if a bit whiny in that Californian way. I liked 'Chronicle' a lot, but this is two big duffers in a row now, which can't be good. Even the lads at RLM gave the last two films a bit of a going over.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Saw an interview on Red Letter Media with Landis. Seems like an alright fella, if a bit whiny in that Californian way. I liked 'Chronicle' a lot, but this is two big duffers in a row now, which can't be good. Even the lads at RLM gave the last two films a bit of a going over.
    Yeah, I thought Chronicle was a good flick. Haven't seen these other two that have been getting slammed, so I can't personally comment on them. Although I wasn't all that interested in Victor Frankenstein in the first place (and wasn't aware until very recently that it was written by Max Landis).

I'll give American Ultra a spin when it rolls around onto telly.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Dec-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Ireland
    No, me neither. It looked like more flishy flashy faux 19th Century rubbish like those awful Sherlock Holmes films with Robert Downy Jr. in them. Terrible rubbish.

Super Moderator

UK
    Jupiter Ascending - 2/10

Jesus, what a load of shite. A bunch of CGI slopping about the place, a story that's bizarre in the bad sense, and blimey - Eddie Redmayne is awful in this film. He must have used up all his acting juice on his superb performance in The Theory Of Everything ... because in this garbage he's dreadful. That throaty, sullen whisper with occasional shouts tossed in ... he looks positively catatonic ... the zombies walking down the middle of the town in Fulci's Zombi 2 were more animated than most of his work in this dreck!

How the mighty have fallen. To think that the Wachowskis were once making films like Bound, and The Matrix ... now they're making tosh like Speed Racer, and Jupiter Ascending. Even Cloud Atlas was a decent flick - not one I'd really be bothered watching again - but it was surprisingly solid.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) What's this? Never heard of it. Is it some kind of special, or is it a movie?
    It's a mix of a Christmas special and a film, I'd say. Murray and several other actors play themselves, but it's set around a fictional story of Murray attempting to put on a traditional live Christmas special in a New York hotel, but nobody makes it because of a blizzard that comes in and shuts down all travel around the city. There are quite a few great laughs in the story bits between the musical elements. There is one hilarious rendition of "Baby It's Cold Outside" with Murray doing the male vocals, except changing the lyrics in the way only Murray could pull off.

You likely hadnt heard of it because it was made and released specifically for Netflix. I've seen it elsewhere on the net, as well. I recommend it for this holiday season and any fan of Murray.

https://youtu.be/XJP3db3R014
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Dec-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: .

UK

8/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "The Walk"
    If you've read the book "To Reach the Clouds" or seen the fantastic documentary "Man on Wire", you already know the basics of this story of how Philippe Petit illegally wire walked between the two world trade center towers. However, with Robert Zemeckis directing, absolutely chilling cinematography, and a fantastic performance from Joseph Gordon Levitt, it becomes a very gripping two hours. Judging by the documentary, this film stays incredibly close to the true events, which is very rare and helps makes it that much more engaging. 9/10
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Dec-2015 at 03:58 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    'Extinction'

4/10

One of those films you want to like more than you do. Pity.

Ireland
    'Scum'

9/10

"Up your f*ckin' borstal!"

- - - Updated - - -

'Easy Rider'

7.5/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Martian - 9/10. I'm one of the people that enjoys Prometheus, but it's actually disappointing that Martian is the science fiction thriller that should've been delivered with the first Alien prequel. Hopefully this is a good sign of Ridley Scott's aim for Alien: Covenant.

Got The Hateful Eight, Creed, and The Revenant lined up for viewing next!
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Dec-2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    The Martian - 9/10.
    Interesting... Have you read the book?

I came out of the film a little myeeer I think because I'd read the book.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, although I've known of it existing and its popularity, I've never read Weir's book, so I really have no basis for comparison.

Ireland
    'Star Wars - The Force Awakens'

6/10

Administrator

England
    No, although I've known of it existing and its popularity, I've never read Weir's book, so I really have no basis for comparison.
    That's clearly a factor then. Because from the book, the film was a little bit of a let down (still good though!). Lots of big and small things missing. Would recommend the book!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan