Page 57 of 173 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Hatefull Eight - a great remake of John Carpenter's The Thing, essentially. With more talking, but you're glued for three hours. 8/10

UK

9/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Ireland
    'Last Shift'

8.5/10

'Creep' (2004)

7/10

'Bug' (1975)

5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Creed - I was extremely satisfied how Stallone ended the Rocky series with 'Rocky Balboa', so when I first heard of this spinoff in which the character would be returning, it seemed like a horrible idea. However, 'Creed' ultimately feels like a companion film to the original series, even if Balboa plays a large part in it. Basically, Stallone is now playing the same part that Burgess Meridith played in the original films, but he injects it with just as much heart and soul as we've seen before.

Jordan is convincing enough as Apollo's son, but comes dangerously close to being outshined by Stallone even though he's meant to be the main character. There are a few scenes that don't seem to work, including an update of the famous running scene that made me face palm incredibly hard, but the film as a whole works quite well. 7/10
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Jan-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad to hear it's good. Likewise I wondered if it'd be one too many bites at the apple, particularly after nailing it with Rocky Balboa - but I've been hearing good things about it, so I can breathe a sigh of relief over that one.

UK

7/10

Ireland
    'Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau'

10/10

UK

5/10

- - - Updated - - -

7/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Minions - 6.5/10

They can't quite justify an entire movie to themselves, but it's more than the sum of it's parts with lots of silly/cute shenanegans.

Inside Out - 10/10

Pixar's best since Toy Story 3 ... possibly even Toy Story. Also, holy shit ...

Bing Bong
    ... to think that I thought the beginning of Up, or the climax of Toy Story 3 were hard going!

Girl House - 6.5/10

A Canadian horror flick about a house - yes, filled with ladies - that's covered by webcams on which they all do saucy things. Events take a turn for the worse when "Loverboy" gets mocked and goes on a rampage. Plenty of sexiness, lots of good looking gals, some quite gruesome moments, and solid script & direction make it work. There's a couple of scenes which shift gears a bit too quickly and could have used some finesse, but overall it was effective.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Jan-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Ireland
    'Grizzly Man'

7/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I got Netflix... Watched these films that I'd missed for better or worse.

Edge of Tomorrow, with Tom Cruise. 4/5. Good film. Enjoyed it. Played off the gimmick well.

Ender's Game, 3/5. Ender wasn't really someone I was rooting for but the movie was well made. Had it not been for the ending, it would have simply been a 2 tho.

Lockout, 2/5. Jesus christ. Luc Besson only produces crap these days. I mean, it was mildly entertaining but it was overall very badly made. Guy Pearce doesn't make a good Snake Plissken.

Season of the Witch. 2/5. Better than expected... But a film that lacked finesse in it's details. I can point to a lot of things that felt ridiculous.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Lockout, 2/5. Jesus christ. Luc Besson only produces crap these days. I mean, it was mildly entertaining but it was overall very badly made. Guy Pearce doesn't make a good Snake Plissken.
    Cool! Saves me watching that one then!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK

7/10

Super Moderator

UK
    The Loft - 7/10

A mystery thriller about five guys who share a fancy apartment together so they can all slip away from their wives and have affairs - but it all goes arse up when they discover a lady dead in the bed - whodunnit?! I quite enjoyed it, even though most of the characters are arseholes ... lots of twists etc.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post

9/10
    Yep, a good solid 8.5-9/10 from me!

There were a lot of people in the cinema clearly finding it too long. In fact two rows of "kids" 18 or younger without a doubt) in front of us couldn't help put flick on their mobile phones to do stuff over and over - very annoying - but I thought it was fine!

The only bit that annoyed me was the beginning of the final chapter with the overly long shots of the stagecoach arriving with the "four" onboard...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan